Living Single Was Pulled Off Air: "It Didn't Make Sense…..We Were #1" - John 'Overton' Henton

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I remember NBC tried to do a American version of Coupling :rolleyes:..then canned it with the quickness :lol:

Facts!

What a ridiculous double dip

But them doing that lends MORE credence to the idea they starting jacking living single characters and stories...

I wonder if anyone ever asked the friends writers about that,

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nigga Moesha was nigga version of friends was

I fucked wit Mr COOPER too

Sinbad

Y’all niggas remember U Pick a Nigga?

I fuck with the shows on the WB

mchammertoeeesss

Rising Star
Registered
I need the video to your avi

Mann
Just instagram thizzot Brittney Renner.
Everytime I see that ass and guys she's been with...
giphy.gif

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That happens all the time, is it only a problem when they do it with black shows?
Yeah, it's a problem when you have a limited number of black shows. At the time of Wayans complaint, they only had two black shows on the air that had a strong family dynamic.

Although Damon had the highest ratings of the two, he recognized that both could succeed without cannibalizing each others viewers.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
This is not that hard to figure out. Just look at the network it was on, FOX. FOX doesn't want shows with successful black people on its airwaves.

FOX cancelled all shows where black people were well off, successful or in positions of authority. They cancelled NY Undercover, In Living Color, 21 Jump Street, For Your Love (IMO was excellent) Living Single. I'm sure there's more but FOX is not the network you want airing programs with well off black people.

Last edited:

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
This is not that hard to figure out. Just look at the network it was on, FOX. FOX doesn't want shows with successful black people on its airwaves.

FOX cancelled shows where black people were all well off, successful or in positions of authority. They cancelled NY Undercover, In Living Color, 21 Jump Street, For Your Love (IMO was excellent) Living Single. I'm sure there's more but FOX is not the network you want airing programs with well off black people.

21 Jump Street was a Black show? WTF!

I watched it as a kid. Rewatched the pilot a few years ago, That show was racist as fuck.

In Living Color was a victim of its own success. All of the good actors left when they started getting lucrative movie contracts. Ironically, outside of creator Keenan, the only star to stay the entire run was Jim Carrey.

New York Undercover? The show seemed good at the time, but rewatching it now is TERRIBLE! JC would be in hot pursuit of a murder, get a call from his ex like "G got detention for cursing." He'd stop chasing the guy to knock off work, have a bullshit man to man talk, and then get frustrated cause the murderer got away. Also, how did he and Torres live AND work undercover in Harlem without anyone ever making them? Even when he went to Riker's Island?

Also, one of the reasons Fox cancelled so many Black shows during the 90's is that at the time they were pretty much the only network that had any.

but yeah, after rewatching Living Single it certainly holds up. However, I suspect that Overton was collecting checks for a mental disability and only thought he was a handyman.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
I've come to learn that we rather respect their media than our own. It is why some outlets that are black pushed don't get anywhere as being big. That is a whole other thread. We hate on each other too much and certain culture vultures come in and eat off that hate. They rather give elite status to non black outlets because of a crabs in the bucket mentality.

No that's not right. First of all these shows will always be picked up by major networks. That means the big five ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, WB
and maybe Turner Broadcasting. The black networks that do exist don't even come into the equation for financial reason.

You will never see a first run TV series airing on black TV, they just don't have the money. Hell show me a black network that even airs the NEWS. They won't spend the money. Black networks must do better, its not about respect. Presently they're not even close to interesting so forget respect.

BTW FOX is a tool of the republicans. I know of no black people that respect FOX. Other than sports I never watch that network.