LANDLORDS OF THE BOARD: Renting BLACK: Strictly Business or give leeway?

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Question is: do you cut Black applicants some slack on credit, rental history if they have the income? Or keep it strictly business...the numbers are what they are?

Background info: (Not necessary to read to submit an answer)

I have a vacancy in a very upscale Nashville neighborhood. For reference it's 3 miles from the Nashville shooting...a VERY upscale, old white and Jewish part of town.

I've rented to Whites twice, Blacks once.

The whites did not complete their lease but paid fully the time they were there. I agreed to let them out early with no penalty.

The Black I allowed to defer half rent for 6 months to get them through during a COVID job loss (restaurant industry).

They never paid back the deferred amount, missed rents after that, and I evicted them without courts getting involved. I'm suing now for the arrears (about 8500 before legal fees). I will likely garnish her retirement account to get the money.

Both whites and Blacks left the place in fair condition minus floor scratching, but nothing extreme like purposely fucking the place on their way out.

I just got off the phone with a Black lady with a 14 year old son. She's lower educated. She really wants the place cause it's away from the hood. She's a blue collar worker. Says credit isn't great but the rent is no problem.

The credit, rental history and criminal background checks haven't come back yet. Just asking in your experience do you cut Black folk a break or just go off the numbers...if there's a better candidate with higher income, credit, rental history etc.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
Question is: do you cut Black applicants some slack on credit, rental history if they have the income? Or keep it strictly business...the numbers are what they are?

I have a vacancy in a very upscale Nashville neighborhood. For reference it's 3 miles from the Nashville shooting...a VERY upscale, old white and Jewish part of town.

The whites did not complete their lease but paid fully the time they were there. I agreed to let them out early with no penalty.

The Black I allowed to defer half rent for 6 months to get them through during a COVID job loss (restaurant industry).

They never paid back the deferred amount, missed rents after that, and I evicted them without courts getting involved. I'm suing now for the arrears (about 8500 before legal fees). I will likely garnish her retirement account to get the money.

Both whites and Blacks left the place in fair condition minus floor scratching, but nothing extreme like purposely fucking the place on their way out.

I just got off the phone with a Black lady with a 14 year old son. She's lower educated. She really wants the place cause it's away from the hood. She's a blue collar worker. Says credit isn't great but the rent is no problem.

The credit, rental history and criminal background checks haven't come back yet. Just asking in your experience do you cut Black folk a break or just go off the numbers...if there's a better candidate with higher income, credit, rental history etc.
Wait for the the credit, rental history and criminal background checks to come back before moving forward, this is business you gotta keep it as business.

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I would think long and hard about that situation. I have a spot I rent to a hispanic family. Keyword, “family”. The father knows his way around a Home Depot. He don’t call me for shit. He takes care of the property. My old neighbor rented out to a mother with 3 teenage daughters. It was hell. Fights and all types of drama.

Not to say don’t give us a chance, but be very careful. You are a better person than me.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No fucking slack! I hate to say it.

I got played so hard one time when I was renting out a home.

Dude was acting crippled. The wife was helping him walk around the house while I was showing it to them.

Older Black couple in their late 50s. I thought it was all sweet.

Dude turned out to be a raging crackhead and was beating his wife.

Dude kicked in my front door. They put holes in the wall. Had extra people living in the basement.

If I would have done a criminal background check, I would have never rented to them.

Live and learn on that one.

P.S. It's good to randomly get police reports about activity at the rental. I got one after all the bullshit and found out the cops had been to the property 9 times in 6 months.

I terminated their rental agreement and gave them 30 days to split.

Being a landlord was one of the most stressful things I've done!!

Last edited:

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Bruh...I could do an entire thread on my experience with what you're dealing with. There's truly no rhyme or reason when it comes to taking a chance on tenants. I've got 2 properties in GA. One in Atlanta I bought 20 years ago and only lived in 2 years. Another in Augusta I inherited when my mother died. The Atlanta house was managed by a third party for the first 10 years of rental. After that I took a chance on a young black single mom who had no down payment, no credit and was working 2 part time jobs. I told her she could move into my house if she took care of it. I promised I'd never go up on the rent and she was allowed to pay every 2 weeks. Most of the time she was late but I never penalized her. I only charged her $700 a month. Fast forward to 2023 and I just got my job approved for remote work so I'm leaving the expensive DMV and I'm going back to my house in Atlanta. I told her in January she had 6 months to vacate and she didn't have to pay rent for those last 6 months. Hopefully it will all go well because since the pandemic started she's never been late. I hate to throw her out but I gotta start preparing for my retirement.

My house in Augusta is a different story. I rented it to my cousin for years and when she moved out some random chick rode by and inquired with my old neighbor about renting it. He called me and she gave me a sob story about being a single mom and wanting to rent in a neighborhood with good schools. So I took a chance with her. I think she stayed 2 years and was on time with the rent maybe five times. I eventually told her that if she couldn't pay the rent on time that I was going to have to get a management company to watch the house for me. I hired one and they put her in a lease. When she was late paying them she would call me and beg me to tell them to get off her back. I told that chick to stop calling me and if she had issues with the house to call them. Eventually the management company did a routine inspection and found out her sons were raising pitbulls in the house and I was like "oh hell naw!" I told her to get rid of those dogs and she was not allowed to sign another lease. After that I got a guy in there now whose late every month with rent but the management company collects 10% in penalties ever month so if he doesn't mind paying, I don't mind collecting. Bottom line, I've always rented to black folks and I've always had fuckery to go along with it. I wouldn't recommend being a landlord to anyone!

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You have to interview them and talk to them.
But to be fair, never rent to black women.
Trouble. Sounds crazy but true.

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
No fucking slack. I hate to say it.

I got played so hard one time when I was renting out a home.

Dude was acting crippled. The wife was helping him walk around the house while I was showing it to them.

Older Black couple in their late 50s. I thought it was all sweet.

Dude turned out to be a raging crackhead and was beating his wife.

Dude kicked in my front door. They put holes in the wall. Had extra people living in the basement.

If I would have done a criminal background check, I would have never rented to them.

Live and learn on that one.

P.S. It's good to randomly get police reports about activity at the rental. I got one after all the bullshit and found out the cops had been to the property 9 times in 6 months.

I terminated their rental agreement and gave them 30 days to split.

Being a landlord was one of the most stressful things I've done!!
kevin-hart-damn.gif

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not in a position to have to take the first person who shows interest so I can lay back for the best candidate. Might keep it vacant until I can get a grad student. It's very close to Vanderbilt University.

Income doesn't necessarily make a better candidate. In fact they may cause problems being more needy or threatening legal action.

Ideally a blue collar couple or family would be great. Longtime renters with 2 incomes and able to maintain the place without me getting involved like @peterlongshort case

I do worry about kids and dogs. Gotta think worst case scenarios. Is he young punk or does he have ignant friends? Don't need my house shot up.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What software do yall use to manage the property and payments? Taxes? Have you incorporated or counting it as 1099 income?

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Business is business bro
There is somewhere she is qualified to live, if she looks she will find it.

Kinda off topic but on topic.
friend of mine since highschool days, one of her friends asked her to move in and help out after husband died. Today she calls me saying the girl told her she gotta go,she needs her space. Now she wants to stay with me…… her and her daughter. Im not even entertaining it. I like my space and peace and im not disturbing that for anyone.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Business is business bro
There is somewhere she is qualified to live, if she looks she will find it.

Kinda off topic but on topic.
friend of mine since highschool days, one of her friends asked her to move in and help out after husband died. Today she calls me saying the girl told her she gotta go,she needs her space. Now she wants to stay with me…… her and her daughter. Im not even entertaining it. I like my space and peace and im not disturbing that for anyone.

Sadly this is the right move.

I let someone stay with me when they got evicted. I ain't gonna tell the whole story but suffice it to say I won't ever do it again.

People end up resenting you for the situation they are in rather than being grateful you helped them in their time of need. And they likely wouldn't or couldn't do it for you.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I let someone stay with me when they got evicted. I ain't gonna tell the whole story but suffice it to say I won't ever do it again.

People end up resenting you for the situation they are in rather than being grateful you helped them in their time of need. And they likely wouldn't or couldn't do it for you.
im sure there is a whole other side to the story not being told, that i dont even care to hear. If you are. paying your share and not causing no issues,nobody is gonna let that money walk out the door. I like my peace and quiet and im not watching nobodies kids for them and i also smoke heavy weed in my home and dont intend to stop. Also she is fucking with some guy for a good amount of time now, better go bang his line.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
im sure there is a whole other side to the story not being told, that i dont even care to hear. If you are. paying your share and not causing no issues,nobody is gonna let that money walk out the door. I like my peace and quiet and im not watching nobodies kids for them and i also smoke heavy weed in my home and dont intend to stop. Also she is fucking with some guy for a good amount of time now, better go bang his line.

Correct! She's likely already burnt other bridges. Believe me you're not the only person she gave her sob story to. If she doesn't get what she wants from you she'll go down the list so don't feel bad.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
Strictly business. If you have a soft spot for people, get a manager.

I had a vacancy and chose the 1 brutha that applied. He had a vague rental history and not as much income as the CACs but we knew a mutual person and he seemed like a good dude. Long story short he was harassing the other tenants, scratched up the newly refinished floors, put holes in the walls and left a bunch of shit in the unit. His security deposit didn’t cover it all either. CACs bring headaches too though.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To that one dumbass comment:

I'd love to rent to the Obama's but they haven't expressed interest.

I'm well aware there are Black folk with excellent credit. I can only work with what comes my way. And so far the pickings have been slim in terms of Black folk who qualify to rent under my terms.

I'm not even strict. The lady in question has yet to submit her application after talking about how much she loves the area and wants a great neighborhood for her son.

Most likely cause she knows her credit will disqualify her and thought I would overlook it cause we Black.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So I blocked her number. She was calling, texting, emailing way too much. Texted me at 4am. Bitch are you crazy! You haven't even applied yet!

If she doing all that now imagine if I rented to her. She'd be calling me for every little thing. Fuck no.

She thought she had it in the bag with no credit check cause we Black. Trying to talk her way in.

I got a Physician at Vanderbilt who wants it. Makes 16000 a month. Likely going with them.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I was a landlord once. Rented (section 8) to a Black single mother. No real issues, other than her having someone "stay" in the house that wasn't on the lease then her deciding to move to NC after about a year.

After they left, I rented to a Puerto Rican family that was related to my sister in-law. They brought a fucking dog into the house, after I told them no pets, and that motherfucker chewed up the baseboards.

Ended up selling the house after that.

The single mother didn't damage the house. That PR trash ass family destroyed the walls.

I don't ever want to be a landlord again. Too many headaches.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just closed the deal. White Physician. Saw his pay stubs...money ain't a thing.

Should have charged him double, he got it lol.

I actually wanted to go with the Black lady but she talked herself out the deal, same way some of us have talked ourselves out of some pussy at some point lol. If you had just STFU and not harassed me you might have got what you wanted!

The lesson here is when doing business you must realize it ain't all about your wants and needs.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In this area it is really funny to know I got Cac paying me rent. When I go up there to check on the spot and fix stuff I halfway expect police to be called cause they saw a Black man in a hoodie walking around the property. It's that kind of conservative neighborhood.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor

When conducting business...... it's always business...... anything else and you're just another fool that's under the illusion that he's conducting business..... and that fool will be parted from his money.... with that qucikness
sidebar: good luck with garnishing her wages.... out of that $8500 you'll probably see a pittance of it..... like $1500.... just take the loss and learn from your mistakes.... you're not some rich
philanthropist.
:itsawrap:

rph2005

Rising Star
OG Investor
i dont cut anyone any slack. i let a few late rents slide during the covid time. you know how i got repaid for that? the stupid bitch terminated the lease early with some loophole and then left the place messy and a huge water bill. then i guess when she went to wherever the fuck she is now, and winter was coming and she realized that the place wasn't suitable for her, she had the nerve to text me from a different phone number asking me if the place was still available. i told her stupid ass, no it's not. even though it was. idiota. she was one of ours by the way. the family i got in there now is also one of ours but this time around i am using property management so i don't have to make any decisions based on emotions. property management will take care of all that bullshit.

southrue

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Business is business. I don't Lower the standards for any one and I don't rent to family. I give blacks priority, but the standards won't be lowered.

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor

My sister let one of her friends move into her apartment with her for "a little while", then couldn't bring herself to tell her it was time to leave when she had overstayed her welcome. It got so bad that my sister ended up just moving out and the woman was still living there with no lights or furniture. I think she had gotten a key made and was going there at night, man these chicks out here be broke..smh