Kobe's Parents at the Memorial: do you feel they were treated with respect?

Perritone

Rising Star
OG Investor
Does anyone see how we have another case of a woman that isn't Black (Mexican) now has generational wealth from her union to a Black Man that became enormously successful? I would think that because Vanessa got the Bag why hold grudges at this point?

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor

Kobe Bryant Reveals Why His Relationship With His Parents Is Awful And Why He Hasn’t Spoken To Them In Three YEARS
#KOBE BRYANT
by Matt Keohan 4 years ago

Kobe Bryant is freshly retired, but he’s still taking shots. This time aimed at his parents, former NBA forward Joe “Jellybean” Bryant and his wife Pam, who were both absent in their son’s final NBA game ever.
In a longform piece written by ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne, Kobe candidly discusses how his once close relationship with his parents soured after Kobe felt his parents were never satisfied with what he provided for them. He hasn’t spoken to them in over three years.

Kobe is of course talking about the ugly incident back in 2013 when Joe and Pam went behind Kobe’s back and attempted to auction off six of their son’s memorabilia items–including two of high school uniforms and two rings for the 2000 Lakers championship team.
Bryant then sued Goldin Auctions, the brokerage company his parents used, which was met with a counter suit that maintained that Pamela was the owner of the items, revealing that the company had already given her an advance of $450,000 to pay for a new home for Bryant’s father and herself in Las Vegas. His parents then issued an apology.
Kobe also revealed the strain on the relationship he had with his sisters, Sharia and Shaya, after he claims they were relying too heavily on their brother providing for them instead of seeking out their own identities.

Bryant addressed how he had to make the difficult decision of cutting them off financially so they could find their own way.

Yikes. Hopefully, now that the spotlight on Bryant will become dimmer as he settles into retirement, he can work on repairing the relationships that fame, fortune, and success dismantled.

wow I didn’t even know Kobe had any sisters

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But you just said fuck his family. He has 2 sisters that have families of their own. Kobe was their uncle, brother, etc. And that part of him is NEVER spoken of.
that's a very valid point, especially after he praised his sisters for following their own paths and not expecting him to take care of them.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
We don’t know the relationship between Kobe and his parents fully, but it’s obvious it was broken down. Raising is a child is far more than busting a nut and baring in a stomach for 9 months.

From what we know and what Kobe had made clear was that Vanessa deserved the light cause she was there for him when they weren’t.

If things broke down and he felt a way about them, then the slight is justified.

But again, it’s conjecture at best.

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Some of you think things should be one way regardless of circumstances, but life doesnt work that way. I know so many people with evil parents that have cut them off completely. Death doesn't change that. I hope they had a policy on Kobe because I doubt Vanessa is giving them a dime.

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Good for them. God forbid parents express concern when their green sheltered teenage kid get a million dollars in his pocket and literally marry the first Mexican ho he meet at his music video shoot.
True. But those kids are teens now and that was very long ago and he proved he made a good choice. He raised a beautiful family with that woman he chose. And she held him the fuck down through some real bullshit. The parents should have seen his success as a father and admitted they were wrong to him AND HER.

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know dude didnt have a great relationship with his parents. But him always being depicted as a seperate entity from them (his ADOS mom, dad, sisters, biological fam) was always weird even when he was alive. Im glad his folks were there and that Shaq acknowledged them.

Kobe's story always revolved around being Jelly Bean's son, so that part isn't true. From his black grandfather sending him videotapes of nba games while living in Europe with his black former NBA player father. Being black was always a part of his narrative. He was also cool with his sisters and Nephew. They're just really private.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
True. But those kids are teens now and that was very long ago and he proved he made a good choice. He raised a beautiful family with that woman he chose. And she held him the fuck down through some real bullshit. The parents should have seen his success as a father and admitted they were wrong to him AND HER.
:yes:

Time always tells the truth.

oolong tea

Rising Star
Registered
I swear, njggas are such women these days. Fucking sensitive ass bitches. He was estranged from his parents. They disowned him and y’all want them to get special recognition? You dumb faggots follow narratives that women create on instragram or Facebook and you mindless imbeciles roll with it as if it was the gospel

while we’re at it, let’s acknowledge his Highschool sweetheart! FOH!

Vanessa Bryant was 100%in charge of the memorial. She requested the guest speakers and organized the event. Why on earth are we giving recognition to parents? This is Kobe’s memorial... it’s about him and his daughter and to a lesser degree the others who died on the chopper. This dumb shit sounds exactly what I’d expect some dumb bitch to say and guess what.... bgol follows suit. Smh.

I’ve never seen the parents at any jersey retirement ceremony, any significant events, etc... BUT nooowwww all of a sudden a memorial for Kobe must include recognition for parents? Y’all niggas are a bunch of women
Closure means closure, fam. They can still the parents with bated breath. They don't need fan boys treating them with disdain. Besides, media went ahead and reminded us that he committed adultery and the sodomized broad was too thrilled to make a rap song about it. (y'all forgot, huh)

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Stop pretending you know the behind the scenes details of their inner dealings. None of us do. All parties involved are sure to be at fault on some level. But the fact remains that those are his fucking parents who gave him life and LITERALLY made him who he became. He didnt put himself in schools, teach himself the game, determine his own genetics, etc.. Ultimately we all owe our parents deference except in extreme situations of abuse and neglect.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Man I get trifling parents, but damn your mom though? Cant be worse that cheating on your wife with a zod whore. Wifey forgave him, for that.
Hang on, how can you “get trifling parents..”, but can’t fathom someone disowning them?

Being a good parent is more than simply busting a nut or harboring a child for 9 months, and obviously Kobe felt this in some way or another, otherwise we wouldn’t be talking about it today.

Contrary to popular belief, mothers and fathers aren’t perfect, which SEEMS to be the case here.

None of us know and will probably never know, but toxic people, regardless of friendship or blood, SHOULD be removed at all costs, and yes, that can include a mother. They’re not untouchable.

sinsay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think others should have acknowledged their presence (props to Shaq), but other than the acknowledgements, that's as far as it should have gone.

From all I've read and heard about Kobe's relationship with his parents, they abandoned him IMHO as much as . I would not be happy if one of my kids married a CAC, but shit, I'm not missing their wedding and limiting communication with them and their spouse and kids for years over it. I'm not going to leach off my kids, nor would I sell my kids memorabilia that they worked hard for without their permission. That just sounds like child like vindictive shit, and that's one of the things as a grown man I absolutely despise.

As a parent, you do the best job you can when the kids are under your roof. When they are grown adults, I feel you still support them as best you can, even when in your opinion they don't make the best decisions. You don't enable life destroying behavior, but you make your opinions known and then love and support and hope for the best. There's more to being a good parent than birthing them, and giving food/shelter/material things.

Vanessa had an out if she was just in it for the bag and stuck with him. Again, I wouldn't be thrilled with my kids not marrying someone black, but Kobe seemed really happy, his wife showed some loyalty and they had what looked to be a very loving family...and that's all I would want in the end.

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
Seems to me Kobe's mama and daddy ain't about SHIT. Who sells their children's memorabilia behind they back? And telling Kobe his choice of a FREE HOUSE for them is not enough. They became entitled and it bit them in the ass.

Kobe had an entire family of his own to look after and provide for. After a while the money faucet gets turned off. Especially for ungrateful ass family members.

It wasn't like his peoples were destitute. And Kobe was playing for 20 years! Like at what point does he get to enjoy HIS MONEY.
I am sure he did not treat the Mecican family the same way..anyway Vanessa now gets all the money

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
0*a1xyQ1M0zAcDFbpg.jpg

Kobe uncle on his mama side played for the Bullets 1 year. So dude was a 2nd generation NBA player on both sides. Kobe Bean comes from a basketball lineage. ADOS.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Man I get trifling parents, but damn your mom though? Cant be worse that cheating on your wife with a zod whore. Wifey forgave him, for that.

Shit, is it asking to me to say Thank You for raising the man I loved. Boom that's it. Two daughters will not have Black grandparents, shit even his sisters got dumped. Basically the Black family got dumped.

I remher when it was announced Vanessa was bouncing and getting 150/250 million people were posting about how much Kobe did for Vanessa parents as opposed to his own. If that’s the truth then that’s most fucked up thing ever.

richminded

Rising Star
Registered
No, actually you’re the bitch. Unlike you, I’m sick of black men acting like white women.

also, learn to read dummy. Him saying that the parents were overlooked is NOT a question. It’s a statement. But continue acting like a little BITCH and defend your wife, the op.

thia gay shit has destroyed the community... y’all niggas are straight bitches

actually you are the bitch smh

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Seems to me Kobe's mama and daddy ain't about SHIT. Who sells their children's memorabilia behind they back? And telling Kobe his choice of a FREE HOUSE for them is not enough. They became entitled and it bit them in the ass.

Kobe had an entire family of his own to look after and provide for. After a while the money faucet gets turned off. Especially for ungrateful ass family members.

It wasn't like his peoples were destitute. And Kobe was playing for 20 years! Like at what point does he get to enjoy HIS MONEY.

Most would if he disowned you and took care of his in-laws like he should’ve have his own parents.

sinsay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I remher when it was announced Vanessa was bouncing and getting 150/250 million people were posting about how much Kobe did for Vanessa parents as opposed to his own. If that’s the truth then that’s most fucked up thing ever.

I hear you but his own fam didn't bother showing up for a major life milestone and in Kobe's words, he did a lot for his fam, but they were very ungrateful.

If you are a giver, someone is going to get the benefits...almost everyone would obviously make blood the number one recipient, but if there is a sense of entitlement/ungratefulness, it's natural to pull some of that back.

If once he decided he was gonna roll with Vanessa and marry her, it sounds like his family turned their back on him...and hers probably opened their arms (of course lol). I'm not sure what you expect if you feel you love and want to spend the rest of your life with someone and your family (the adults primarily) hates it so much they stop talking to you...what are you supposed to do?

The truth I'm sure is somewhere towards the middle, but just going off of what people have written...usually from Kobe's perspective of course, it doesn't sound like Kobe is being the unreasonable one.

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
They could juss throw their own memorial for him if they wanted to

Spouses and children are typically the focus at funerals/memorials.

That stated, I feel it was classless not to recognize the parents or show pictures with them. When it's all said and done, that's the immediate family (spouse, children, parents, siblings - and in that order).

The high road could have been taken, but it wasn't. It's probably just time to focus on moving forward from here.

However, I'd be willing to be my last dime that the parents are going to bring forward a lawsuit once the dust settles. Not saying it's right, but I would not be surprised if it happens. Kobe's net worth was over half a billion dollars ($600M).

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Spouses and children are typically the focus at funerals/memorials.

That stated, I feel it was classless not to recognize the parents or show pictures with them. When it's all said and done, that's the immediate family (spouse, children, parents, siblings - and in that order).

The high road could have been taken, but it wasn't. It's probably just time to focus on moving forward from here.

However, I'd be willing to be my last dime that the parents are going to bring forward a lawsuit once the dust settles. Not saying it's right, but I would not be surprised if it happens. Kobe's net worth was over half a billion dollars ($600M).
in the end it was his money and if he had a will and they weren't a part of it they can't touch shit... They shouldn't feel entitled to his money if he planned on not breaking them off

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There’s lots of negativity being thrown at the parents and rightfully so, but...

Vanessa was 17 years old and in high school when they met and Kobe was 20. Within 6 months, Kobe proposed and the parents were unhappy.

Think of things from a parents perspective. Kobe’s a world famous millionaire athlete. He meets and proposes to marry a high schooler that he only knew for 6 months?

You damn right the parents would be upset! How many celebrity marriages or any marriages work when they get married so young?

Kobe’s one of the lucky ones! With that said, once the kids were born the beef from the parents should’ve ended.

But naturally feelings were involved and Kobe most likely held a grudge. Because they didn’t approve of his marriage and his wife. That’s what we know as a fact.

Now you’ve gotta factor in rumors and money. We know that Kobe took care of his family. I “Heard” that Kobe got his mother in-law a house for a couple of million in LA. We all know he bought his wife an 4 million dollar ring after the Colorado incident.

Now look at it from his parents perspective. Kobe spent millions on a house for the Mother in-law, spent 4 million dollars on a ring for his wife.

And now he doesn’t want to spend a couple more hundred thousand dollars on a house for his parents. They felt disrespected because they had and raised him. Now they shouldn’t have relied on Kobe for everything, but it happens when you’re a millionaire athlete.

They both felt disrespected by each other, no one made the move to apologize and move forward.

I did hear that Kobe and his Dad were on speaking terms and in the process of mending their relationship before Kobe passed.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Shit, is it asking to me to say Thank You for raising the man I loved. Boom that's it. Two daughters will not have Black grandparents, shit even his sisters got dumped. Basically the Black family got dumped.

Kobe was stubborn and held grudges, rightfully so. The woman he thought highly of and wanted to marry wasn’t approved of by his parents. They didn’t come to his wedding and possibly didn’t have a relationship with his kids. It’s a possibility that Vanessa might’ve not spoken to the parents in 20 years, we don’t know? :dunno:

It would’ve been nice of her to say something about the parents, but if you she didn’t associate with them when Kobe was alive. Then I don’t expect her to associate with or speak on them due to his death.

Like I said, it would’ve been nice. But I don’t blame her for not mentioning them.

One can also think of it from Kobe’s perspective. His Mom broke his heart. That’s the first woman you look up to and love. You’ve given her so much and now millions of dollars is not enough. She’s unsatisfied and arguing with Kobe about what he did for his wife and his wife’s family monetarily.

Factor in your family didn’t/doesn’t approve of your marriage and wife.

That’s a helluva lot to take and it’s hard to get over because that’s years and years of pain.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
There’s lots of negativity being thrown at the parents and rightfully so, but...

Vanessa was 17 years old and in high school when they met and Kobe was 20. Within 6 months, Kobe proposed and the parents were unhappy.

Think of things from a parents perspective. Kobe’s a world famous millionaire athlete. He meets and proposes to marry a high schooler that he only knew for 6 months?

You damn right the parents would be upset! How many celebrity marriages or any marriages work when they get married so young?

Kobe’s one of the lucky ones! With that said, once the kids were born the beef from the parents should’ve ended.

But naturally feelings were involved and Kobe most likely held a grudge. Because they didn’t approve of his marriage and his wife. That’s what we know as a fact.

Now you’ve gotta factor in rumors and money. We know that Kobe took care of his family. I “Heard” that Kobe got his mother in-law a house for a couple of million in LA. We all know he bought his wife an 4 million dollar ring after the Colorado incident.

Now look at it from his parents perspective. Kobe spent millions on a house for the Mother in-law, spent 4 million dollars on a ring for his wife.

And now he doesn’t want to spend a couple more hundred thousand dollars on a house for his parents. They felt disrespected because they had and raised him. Now they shouldn’t have relied on Kobe for everything, but it happens when you’re a millionaire athlete.

They both felt disrespected by each other, no one made the move to apologize and move forward.

I did hear that Kobe and his Dad were on speaking terms and in the process of mending their relationship before Kobe passed.
Let’s reel it back a bit ..

Kobe sued his parents for selling his memorabilia in 2013 without his permission. They settled and came up with a strangely public apology from their lawyer stating, “we are grateful for the financial contributions from our son over the years.”

I say strangely because that’s some shit you handle in house, not in public, unless you’re trying to make yourself look good, but I digress.

Moving on, it’s not as if Kobe didn’t take care of them because from their admission, he did.

So their only resentment lies on their vitriol towards their daughter in law, whom they were wrong about.

Again, we don’t know all the facts, but it’s safe to say a majority of the fault lies with them. They should’ve humbled themselves and admitted their wrongdoings in order to heal, if not for the family, at least for their son.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Let’s reel it back a bit ..

Kobe sued his parents for selling his memorabilia in 2013 without his permission. They settled and came up with a strangely public apology from their lawyer stating, “we are grateful for the financial contributions from our son over the years.”

I say strangely because that’s some shit you handle in house, not in public, unless you’re trying to make yourself look good, but I digress.

Moving on, it’s not as if Kobe didn’t take care of them because from their admission, he did.

So their only resentment lies on their vitriol towards their daughter in law, whom they were wrong about.

Again, we don’t know all the facts, but it’s safe to say a majority of the fault lies with them. They should’ve humbled themselves and admitted their wrongdoings in order to heal, if not for the family, at least for their son.

I “Reeled it back” to the beginning, when Kobe first met and proposed back in 1999-2001.

You’re referencing an incident in 2013 which also mattered, but it was much later.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

4ea4e79503e29-image.jpg