Hollywood News: Kevin Hart Defends Himself on Ellen, She Insists He Should Still Host the Oscars

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nearly a month after stepping down from hosting the Oscars after his homophobic tweets resurfaced, Kevin Hart went on Ellen to discuss his decision and defend himself, while DeGeneres insisted that he should in fact still host the awards show. DeGeneres shared the first part of the interview, which was originally scheduled to air Monday, online late Thursday night, tweeting, “I believe in forgiveness.”

In that clip, Hart describes confronting “an onslaught on social media of my past” the day after he was announced as a host. Hart insisted that he had addressed and apologized for homophobic jokes in the past and did not feel an obligation to apologize again. “Nobody’s finding the apologies,” Hart said. “Nobody’s finding the footage from where I had to address it.” Hart pointed to interviews he did during Get Hard press in 2015 (he said of the homophobic jokes in that film, “funny is funny”) and a “very heavy junket” he did in 2012 for evidence of his past apologies. (Although, Hart may be conflating the Get Hard promo in 2015 and that junket, as it doesn’t appear he discussed his tweets in 2012.) Hart also joked about how he hoped his son would not grow up to be gay in a 2015 Rolling Stone article where he said he would not make jokes like that again, though did not directly apologize, and did apologize for his tweets when stepping down from the Oscars. “I’m sorry if these words hurt,” Hart said on Ellen, also adding, “I don’t joke like that because that was wrong.”

n a second clip, which DeGeneres released Friday morning, she steps in to defend Hart and to insist that he should still host the awards show. “There are so many haters out there, whatever is going on on the internet don’t pay attention to them. We are a huge group of people that love you and want to see you host the Oscars,” DeGeneres said to applause. As the conversation continues, Hart describes the resurfacing of his tweets as “an attack” because they “somehow manifested from 2008” and someone must have read through thousands of them to find them. “That’s an attack to end me,” he said, referring to the “trolls” online. To that, DeGeneres insisted that “they’re going to win if you don’t host the Oscars,” and added that she knows the Academy still does not have a host, and is praying that he changes his mind.

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
damn...he got a chief gay on his side...that’s gonna dead the fake outrage for the most part...I wouldn’t be surprised if he fucks around and still ends up hosting the shit

I wouldn't do it if I was Kev (if that's even an option now). 1) It would be mad uncomfortable and 2) he's successful w/o it and truly doesn't NEED to host the Oscars to keep his career trending in a positive direction.

The Oscars have been on some bullshit themselves, given the lack of diversity, so this is VERY hypocritical in my opinion. If he was broke, maybe. But, Kev has enough dough to tell them to kiss his ass!

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
damn...dude “offended” women (cheating scandal) and gays (old jokes on twitter) and hardly missing a beat...he is truly hollywood’s golden boy...the cynical side of me thinks it’s only bcuz they haven’t found his replacement yet lol

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
I wouldn't do it if I was Kev (if that's even an option now). 1) It would be mad uncomfortable and 2) he's successful w/o it and truly doesn't NEED to host the Oscars to keep his career trending in a positive direction.

The Oscars have been on some bullshit themselves, given the lack of diversity, so this is VERY hypocritical in my opinion. If he was broke, maybe. But, Kev has enough dough to tell them to kiss his ass!

ya...I made that comment before fully listening to the interview...and there will still be a faction of ppl who will make a stink over it which is part of the reason he no longer wants to do it...curious to see what ellen had to say to make him consider still hosting it

Last edited:

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
ya...I made that comment before fully listening to the interview...and there will still be a faction of ppl who will make a stink over it which is part of the reason he no longer wants to do it...curious to see what ellen had to say to make him consider still hosting it

Yeah bruh. It's crazy to see how many people are aiming to tear him down (CACs and worst of all, other black comedians). I never really bought into the crabs in a bucket narrative, but damn if it doesn't seem to be true. Same w/ Steve Harvey.

Let's be real, you can't help everyone.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah bruh. It's crazy to see how many people are aiming to tear him down (CACs and worst of all, other black comedians). I never really bought into the crabs in a bucket narrative, but damn if it doesn't seem to be true. Same w/ Steve Harvey.

Let's be real, you can't help everyone.

Steve Harvey?

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Oscar needs him for black viewership... They like Ellen get your ass on the job and convince him to come back... A dike promoting a black person now that's rating... Gay community collabing with the black community now that's rating central

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
damn...he got a chief gay on his side...that’s gonna dead the fake outrage for the most part...I wouldn’t be surprised if he fucks around and still ends up hosting the shit
I can see folks in the LBGTQEHKL1239 community calling her a sellout for this.
He should have just ignored the shit in the first place and let the outrage mob move to the next target.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
Wasn't it a reporter who showed the tweets why doesn't he name her

Fuck the ozcazzz

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
They will NOT go at Ellen

Guaranteed
Just for shits and giggles I googled "Ellen doesn't get it" and they already talking shit about Ellen.

https://www.out.com/news-opinion/2019/1/04/op-ed-problem-ellen-degeneres-kevin-hart-interview

From the piece:

Ellen DeGeneres isn’t the queer savior everyone likes to think she is and Kevin Hart has a lot more growing to do.

Surely, there is much to discuss from Hart’s interview with DeGeneres scheduled to air on Friday, the first he’s done since stepping down. Noted first however must be that DeGeneres doesn’t, in this case, have the necessary range.

I’m not one to tell many people to “stay in your lane,” but Kevin Hart is a Black man who once “joked” he’d break a doll house over the head of his Black son; my granny once said “truth is always told in jest.” As a Black queer someone who, when my body began to manifest aspects of my identity even I was unaware of — a sway in my walk, a bend in my wrist — was punched in the chest by Black men in my family and told to “man up,” Ellen can’t and doesn’t speak for me.

:smh:

I can predict this 24/7 outrage culture shit like Nostradamus. This just the first piece out. More of them got their writing apps open ready to type some profound shit to their target audiences. This what happens when any person in a demo breaks ranks with the extremists within that demo. We seen it with #metoo.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Just for shits and giggles I googled "Ellen doesn't get it" and they already talking shit about Ellen.

https://www.out.com/news-opinion/2019/1/04/op-ed-problem-ellen-degeneres-kevin-hart-interview

From the piece:

Ellen DeGeneres isn’t the queer savior everyone likes to think she is and Kevin Hart has a lot more growing to do.

Surely, there is much to discuss from Hart’s interview with DeGeneres scheduled to air on Friday, the first he’s done since stepping down. Noted first however must be that DeGeneres doesn’t, in this case, have the necessary range.

I’m not one to tell many people to “stay in your lane,” but Kevin Hart is a Black man who once “joked” he’d break a doll house over the head of his Black son; my granny once said “truth is always told in jest.” As a Black queer someone who, when my body began to manifest aspects of my identity even I was unaware of — a sway in my walk, a bend in my wrist — was punched in the chest by Black men in my family and told to “man up,” Ellen can’t and doesn’t speak for me.

I can predict this 24/7 outrage culture shit like Nostradamus. This just the first piece out. More of them got their writing apps open ready to type some profound shit to their target audiences. This what happens when any person in a demo breaks ranks with the extremists within that demo. We seen it with #metoo.

Well WOW...

much respect

you are more often then NOT right about these social media reactions...

but lets just see if this is a BIG thing or just some randoms online.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I can see folks in the LBGTQEHKL1239 community calling her a sellout for this.
He should have just ignored the shit in the first place and let the outrage mob move to the next target.

Just Like when that said community went after Elton John for not only performing with Eminem at The Grammys,
But also being the musical entertainment at Rush Limbaugh's wedding.
Sir Elton does what he wants. And has no problem telling his folks to Go Fuck Themselves.
Which he essentially did.

Ellen does that shit on the subversive.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Where Are Kevin Hart’s Past Apologies? An Investigation
By Megh Wright
04-kevin-hart-ellen-2.w700.h700.jpg

Kevin Hart and Ellen DeGeneres. Photo: Warner Bros.

This week, Ellen DeGeneres released clips of her new interview with Kevin Hart, coming nearly a month after the comedian stepped down from hosting the Oscars after dozens of his old homophobic tweets resurfaced. At the time of his resignation, Hart revealed his decision to step away from the gig by tweeting out an apology. He wrote: “I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past,” following it up with a second tweet saying, “I’m sorry that I hurt people.”

“I believe in forgiveness. I believe in second chances. And I believe in @KevinHart4real,” DeGeneres said on Twitter, along with a clip from the interview, in which Hart tells her, “It’s ten years old. This is stuff I’ve addressed. I’ve talked about this; this isn’t new. I’ve addressed it. I’ve apologized for it.” Hart also claims in the clip that coverage of the controversy, which he later calls an “attack,” inaccurately left out his previous apologies. Here’s Hart’s quote in full, where he recounts his experience of watching the controversy unfold prior to his Twitter apology and choice to step down:

Now the headlines are starting to change. The headlines are “Kevin Hart Refuses to Apologize for Homophobic Tweets from the Past.” The word “Again” was left out. Everybody took those headlines and started to run with it, so now, the slander on my name is all homophobia. Now I’m a little upset. I’m a little upset because I know who I am. I know that I don’t have a homophobic bone in my body. I know that I’ve addressed it. I know that I’ve apologized. I know that, within my apologies, I’ve taken ten years to put my apology to work. I’ve yet to go back to that version of the immature comedian that I once was. I’ve moved on. I’m a grown man. I’m cultured. I’m manufactured. I’m a guy that understands now. I look at life through a different lens, and because of that, I live it in a different way.

So now I’m kind of upset because these ten years are just being ignored; they’re being brushed past. Nobody is saying, “Guys, this is ten years.” Headlines [aren’t] saying, “Ten Years Ago He Apologized.” Nobody’s finding the apologies. Nobody’s finding the footage from where I had to address it. I had to address it when I did Get Hard promo with Will Ferrell because of my joke that I had about my son. I had to address those tweets in 2012 in a very, very heavy junket where I was asked questions and asked questions about homophobia based on those tweets, and I had to address it and apologize and say I understand what those words do and how they hurt. I understand why people would be upset, which is why I made the choice to not use them anymore. I don’t joke like that anymore because that was wrong. That was a guy that was just looking for laughs and it was stupid — I don’t do that anymore.

Hart is making a pretty bold claim here that the press has chosen to ignore previous apologies for his homophobic tweets and not put any work into finding them. But before we start hunting for said apologies, let’s establish what an apology is and isn’t. An apology is acknowledging a mistake, offense, or failure. An apology has words like “I’m sorry” or “I regret,” and these words are used without shifting the blame or burden to another person, place, or thing. An apology is not “I’m sorry if I offended you” or “I’m sorry if my words hurt your feelings” or “I don’t do that anymore because people are too sensitive these days.” An apology is what Samantha Bee made, twice, for calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless cunt.” An apology is Seth Rogen, when confronted about using blackface film stand-ins, saying, “I should start by saying this shouldn’t have happened, and I’m terribly sorry it did. I won’t give excuses for why it happened.” An apology is when Dan Harmon told former Community writer Megan Ganz that he was “deeply sorry” for sexually harassing her, then followed it up with a long reflection where he owned up to the bigger damage it caused.

in a new interview with Variety, he said,“[W]hen people say, ‘Yo, I can’t find it,’ well, go ask the individual who dug up the stuff from 2009 to go do the same. I can’t put that energy into something that’s in my past. I can’t put that energy into negativity.(We also reached out to Hart’s reps to ask about what apology he was referring to and will update this post if we hear back.)

Before getting into Hart’s claims of apologies, it’s important to know that Hart’s homophobia goes beyond tweeting homophobic insults at people using words like homo, fag, and tranny. He’s received a lot of criticism over the years, for example, for a bit in his special Seriously Funny,in which he says that while he doesn’t consider himself homophobic, one of his biggest fears is his son growing up to be gay. In the bit, Hart describes seeing another boy “grinding” against his son at a birthday party, after which he knocks both boys to the ground. (The following year, Hart tweeted a jokesimilar to the one in the special that has since been deleted, writing, “Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay.’”) Here’s the bit:

Also worth noting is that Seriously Funny premiered in 2010 — a year after the ten-year-old apology Hart told DeGeneres he made for his homophobic tweets. So let’s look for the other multiple apologies Hart says are being ignored.

The earliest interview where Hart addresses his homophobia appears to be a Men’s Health interview from 2013, three years after Seriously Funny,where he’s asked if there’s anything he won’t joke about and says “things have really changed” in comedy when it comes to jokes about gay people:

I’m not big on joking about politics or on jokes pointed at the gay community. That’s not my agenda. That’s not what I strive to do. I leave those things alone. Things have really changed between where comedy is now and where it used to be.

In a 2014 interview with Playboy, he goes on, saying that “it’s too dangerous” to joke about gay people:

I’m not a political guy. I don’t really deal with Democrats or Republicans. I don’t find that funny. And I don’t talk about the gay community, be it male or female. No thank you! It’s such a sensitive subject. I’ve seen comics get into serious trouble by joking about gay people. It’s too dangerous. Whatever you say, any joke you make about the gay community, it’s going to be misconstrued. It’s not worth it.

In a 2014 Reddit AMA, Hart was asked presumably about his Playboy response and why he changed his mind about gay material, and he said this:

It’s just a sensitive topic and I respect people of all orientations. So, it’s just best left alone.

While promoting Get Hard with Will Ferrell in early 2015, Hart was asked by HitFix’s Louis Virtel if he thought some of the scenes in the movie were “a little bit dated” when it came to homophobic humor and countered by saying that “funny is funny”:

I said to myself, This is funny. And at the end of the day, funny is funny, regardless of what area it’s coming from. So, you know, when doing it, I felt that the scene called for the actions and reactions that we gave. And for the individuals that we’re portraying, the characters that we’re playing, it’s what fit them for those moments. So once again, I just look for the laugh, man, and the best way to get there.

Later in 2015, Hart addressed the gay-son joke in an interview with Rolling Stone, saying that people “love to make big deals out of things that aren’t necessarily big deals”:

I wouldn’t tell that joke today, because when I said it, the times weren’t as sensitive as they are now. I think we love to make big deals out of things that aren’t necessarily big deals, because we can. These things become public spectacles. So why set yourself up for failure?

It’s unclear what the “very, very heavy junket” from 2012 was that Hart refers to in his interview with DeGeneres (he promoted two films that year,Think Like a Man and The Five-Year Engagement). But given all the press his responses to homophobia accusations have received since his gay-son joke, you’d think it would be easier to find these clips of Hart apologizing for his tweets. It certainly couldn’t have happened ten years ago, as Hart claimed four times to DeGeneres, considering Seriously Funny debuted after that hypothetically happened.

However fuzzy Hart’s timeline may seem, not only do his claims go unchallenged by DeGeneres in the interview, but they’re backed up by her full support against his critics, with Hart referring to them as “trolls” and DeGeneres referring to them as “haters” who will “win” if he doesn’t host the Oscars. “I think it’s perfect that all this happened because there has to be a conversation about homophobia,” DeGeneres says, “and whoever’s trying to hurt you, it brought up you reminding people that you’re a bigger person — that you’ve already apologized. You’re apologizing again.”

To be clear, Hart has addressed, or at least acknowledged, the criticism about his homophobic material — or his thoughts on homophobic material in general — a handful of times over the past five years or so. Even taking into account his tweet from a month ago, it’s simply inaccurate to say that Hart has apologized for or sincerely reckoned with it in a meaningful way until his Ellen interview, when he acknowledged publicly that it was “wrong.” But for Hart to couch his statements with insistence that his apologies already happened long ago in some easily Googled article or clip — and more, for DeGeneres to perpetuate that claim — shows that Hart has no intention of truly owning up to, and evolving from, his past mistakes. Louis Virtel, the interviewer from the 2015 Get Hard junket, put it best:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

From the piece:

you were right...

The Oscars don't need a host (and no one asked you, Ellen)

Michael Rozman/Warner Bros.
2cb724cdf103d14d9bdfd321abb3cc2f

KRISTEN BALDWIN
January 04, 2019 at 04:52 PM EST
With just 51 days left to go before the 91st annual Academy Awards and still no one on board to host, the nation is in the grip of paralyzing anxiety. Oh, sorry, did I say “the nation”? I meant “Ellen DeGeneres.” The wildly successful talk show host is apparently so worried about the Oscars hosting situation that she felt the need to try and fix it herself. Not by hosting, but by rehabbing the image of the guy who was supposed to host, Kevin Hart, who resigned from the job after his old tweets featuring homophobic and transphobic comments resurfaced. “I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past,” he tweeted last month, adding that he didn’t want his presence at the Oscars to be a “distraction” from the awards themselves.

One man’s distraction is another woman’s cause. During Hart’s appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show Friday, the host repeatedly referred to the comedian as a friend and praised him as “one of the most generous people that I’ve ever met.” Though Hart felt victimized by the controversy — he called resurfacing the old tweets a “malicious attack” on his character — DeGeneres referred to him as “this year’s Oscars host” and told the comedian that if he didn’t host the show, the trolls would win.

Girl, what?

Whether or not you believe Hart when he says “I don’t have a homophobic bone in my body” — I certainly hope he’s grown and matured as much as he says he has — are the Academy Awards really the forum for a teachable moment, which DeGeneres seems to be striving for? Even if the ratings weren’t declining every single year, something tells me that the people who would benefit from an honest conversation about homophobia and its origins aren’t going to be tuning in to watch Roma battle A Star Is Born for best picture. And even if they did, how effective would Hart’s presence as host — along with whatever joke or earnest mea culpa he made during the opening monologue to address the controversy — be in changing their minds?

Maybe it would make a difference. Who knows? I certainly don’t claim to have the answer. What I can say is the guy I watched on The Ellen DeGeneres Show this afternoon pretty clearly does not want to host the Oscars anymore. The whole experience, he said, has left the opportunity of the Oscars under “a cloud,” and now with the ceremony less than two months away, it’s likely that Hart would prefer to check this item off his bucket list sometime down the road, when he’d have more time to prepare. (He did, however, tell DeGeneres he was “evaluating” the situation and would let her know once he made a decision.) America’s Top Gay Spokesperson may not want to take no for an answer, but she may have to this time.

So what should the Oscars do instead? Go without a host! The show is already six hours long, and the host is really there to provide a viral cold open and a medium-spicy monologue reminding us all how very, very silly Hollywood is in general. After that, he or she is relegated to choppy “our next presenter” introductions and the occasional “we’re only three hours behind schedule” quip. A source tells EW that ABC and the Academy were already exploring a host-less option before DeGeneres decided to get involved, and surely there’s someone on the network’s payroll who could handle monologue/funny-opening-montage-packed-with-celebrity-cameos duty. (Hint: He’s on at 11:35 p.m.) After that, there are literally hundreds of stars scheduled to be in attendance who could handle whatever interstitial presenting needs to happen between the first award and the end of the broadcast. Or even better, just have Distinguished Announcer Guy make all the post-monologue introductions! If the Academy went that route, the show might come in at under three-and-a-half hours — and that’s an idea we can all get behind.

The 91st Annual Academy Awards will air Sunday, Feb. 24, on ABC

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I’m not a political guy. I don’t really deal with Democrats or Republicans. I don’t find that funny. And I don’t talk about the gay community, be it male or female. No thank you! It’s such a sensitive subject. I’ve seen comics get into serious trouble by joking about gay people. It’s too dangerous. Whatever you say, any joke you make about the gay community, it’s going to be misconstrued. It’s not worth it.

This is the difference between him and Chapelle...Chapelle doesn't care and he's funny because of it...

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
you were right...

The Oscars don't need a host (and no one asked you, Ellen)

Michael Rozman/Warner Bros.
2cb724cdf103d14d9bdfd321abb3cc2f

KRISTEN BALDWIN
January 04, 2019 at 04:52 PM EST
With just 51 days left to go before the 91st annual Academy Awards and still no one on board to host, the nation is in the grip of paralyzing anxiety. Oh, sorry, did I say “the nation”? I meant “Ellen DeGeneres.” The wildly successful talk show host is apparently so worried about the Oscars hosting situation that she felt the need to try and fix it herself. Not by hosting, but by rehabbing the image of the guy who was supposed to host, Kevin Hart, who resigned from the job after his old tweets featuring homophobic and transphobic comments resurfaced. “I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past,” he tweeted last month, adding that he didn’t want his presence at the Oscars to be a “distraction” from the awards themselves.

One man’s distraction is another woman’s cause. During Hart’s appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show Friday, the host repeatedly referred to the comedian as a friend and praised him as “one of the most generous people that I’ve ever met.” Though Hart felt victimized by the controversy — he called resurfacing the old tweets a “malicious attack” on his character — DeGeneres referred to him as “this year’s Oscars host” and told the comedian that if he didn’t host the show, the trolls would win.

Girl, what?

Whether or not you believe Hart when he says “I don’t have a homophobic bone in my body” — I certainly hope he’s grown and matured as much as he says he has — are the Academy Awards really the forum for a teachable moment, which DeGeneres seems to be striving for? Even if the ratings weren’t declining every single year, something tells me that the people who would benefit from an honest conversation about homophobia and its origins aren’t going to be tuning in to watch Roma battle A Star Is Born for best picture. And even if they did, how effective would Hart’s presence as host — along with whatever joke or earnest mea culpa he made during the opening monologue to address the controversy — be in changing their minds?

Maybe it would make a difference. Who knows? I certainly don’t claim to have the answer. What I can say is the guy I watched on The Ellen DeGeneres Show this afternoon pretty clearly does not want to host the Oscars anymore. The whole experience, he said, has left the opportunity of the Oscars under “a cloud,” and now with the ceremony less than two months away, it’s likely that Hart would prefer to check this item off his bucket list sometime down the road, when he’d have more time to prepare. (He did, however, tell DeGeneres he was “evaluating” the situation and would let her know once he made a decision.) America’s Top Gay Spokesperson may not want to take no for an answer, but she may have to this time.

So what should the Oscars do instead? Go without a host! The show is already six hours long, and the host is really there to provide a viral cold open and a medium-spicy monologue reminding us all how very, very silly Hollywood is in general. After that, he or she is relegated to choppy “our next presenter” introductions and the occasional “we’re only three hours behind schedule” quip. A source tells EW that ABC and the Academy were already exploring a host-less option before DeGeneres decided to get involved, and surely there’s someone on the network’s payroll who could handle monologue/funny-opening-montage-packed-with-celebrity-cameos duty. (Hint: He’s on at 11:35 p.m.) After that, there are literally hundreds of stars scheduled to be in attendance who could handle whatever interstitial presenting needs to happen between the first award and the end of the broadcast. Or even better, just have Distinguished Announcer Guy make all the post-monologue introductions! If the Academy went that route, the show might come in at under three-and-a-half hours — and that’s an idea we can all get behind.

The 91st Annual Academy Awards will air Sunday, Feb. 24, on ABC
We need to start a heterosexual alliance group where we threaten to boycott gay money if these motherfuckers can't shut up...stArt showing them how much money they'll miss out on without our involvement...stop supporting anything they have to do with...oh a designer is gay don't buy none of his clothes..oh there's a gay character in a movie or show don't watch it... Go full boycott mode...time to force these nigs back into the shadows...dudes are getting outta hand with their bullshit...guarantee when they find out we are the majority and that our existence is why they even have plateau they'd shutdafucup real quick