Justice League MOVIE Discussion (The SynderCut Drops 3/18/2021)

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Ok just left the screening and I’m sitting in the parking lot. It’s cold as a bitch and I finished 2 beers inside so here goes.

As a movie I really really enjoyed this flix, but it does have its issues.

So here is a quick good and bad rundown.

The Good
1. It was legit funny. There were Joss Whedon-isms all over this bitch.

2. The set pieces were pretty good. Like really good.

3. It was the first DC movie that felt like an actual comic book come to life.

4. I really enjoyed the characters. At this point Gal Gadot could play Wonder Woman in her sleep. She continued to stand out. So I’m going to focus on the other ones. This was the first movie that made me say... Ok now I can see Ben Affleck as Batman. He is perfect for the I’m to old for this shit Batman. Jason Monma killed it as Aquaman for me. I didn’t think I was going to like his Redneck interpretation of Aquaman but they added just enough depth there to now make me really interested in his Aquaman movie. (But there is a part of Aquaman and his movie that’s a negative part) The guy playing cyborg killed it as well and he was the one that I really was worried about but they really added some layers to cyborg to the point where I would rather him have a movie then the Flash. His issues with his father and him finding his place in the world are interesting story ideas.

The Flash should not have a movie. The Flash was funny in this, but more like a Clint in Avengers Funny and not a Thor or Hulk Funny. He just seemed like a side character and a wimpy one at that. The Flash character made no sense to me. His powers also make zero sense and why does he run like he is retarded.

5. The special effects were pretty good.

6. Green Lanterns exist in this universe.

7. Henry Cavill really made me feel like.. he can end up being a great Superman. It’s clearly the writing that’s been the product. There were a couple Joss Whedon lines that he nailed. I think DC needs to just give Joss the keys to the ship of this cinematic universe. You can really feel the difference.

8. Tons of fan worthy moments in here.

The bad.. full spoilers..

Now don’t get it twisted.... I’m going to watch this again. My issues are really from Batman vs Superman. That movie should not have come before this.

1. Huge Spoiler... Superman came back to soon. The really should have either held Superman until the next movie or the 3rd act. He basically comes back due to a Magical mcguffin and is only out of sorts for maybe 4 minutes before he is back to regular Clark. This kills the dramatic tension of the final act because you knew that no matter how bad shit looked... Superman was out there to come save the day. It also kills any impact that his death might have had.

2. The Story made zero sense. I’ve got no idea what Steppenwolf was trying to accomplish. Like I thought he was trying to bring back darkshied but then it looked like he was just trying to take over the world. The story never makes it clear. Then it’s a different steppenwolf from the guy that we saw at the end of BVS.

3. You can tell that the Superman parts were added in during the reshoots. This would be more noticeable for those that followed this story on midnights edge... but it’s obvious. There’s some weird tonal shifts. Also Clark never wore his Black Krypton outfit or the long hair. He never comes across as changed.

4. Based on how Clark comes back... I don’t even see how Bruce Wayne’s Nightmare in Batman vs Superman is going to come to pass. Maybe if Clark came back different and disappeared after he came out of the darkness to save everyone in the end against Steppenwolf.. in that scenario I could see Clark eventually turning.. But in this movie I don’t see how it’s possible. Clark embraces life here.

5. Their powers are all over the place in the franchise. Clark was doing things I’ve never seen and Wonder Woman was twice as fast.

6. How come the Amazon’s didn’t mention that they happened to have a motherbox in the Wonder Woman movie.

7. My biggest and most unforgivable complaint is that in Batman vs Superman.. it was such a huge Deal that Batman knew that Clark’s moms name was Martha. That revelation opened Bruce’s eyes and dude risked his life to save her. Bruce also was at Martha’s house for the funeral...

All this leads me to ask... Why in the fuck did Bruce allow Martha’s house to get foreclosured. He keeps track of all of these metahumans and yet he couldn’t save the house of the mother of the man that he feels like his actions lead to his death. Throughout this movie.. Bruce continues to mention how Clark was the best of us and yet.. he let Martha lose her house.

Then in the end.. you buy the bank and get Martha back her house only after Clark comes back. Come on man... Bruce was sending out checks to his former employee and yet he couldn’t save Martha’s house.

8. My biggest complaint and this is from Batman vs Superman... Why the fuck did you have Clark have a open casket funeral only to bring him back the next movie without explaining shit. Like when Clark comes back he is walking around Smallville like nothing happened

Anyway... these are my hot takes. Excuse any typos, I’m on my cell phone.

Also.. again.. Even though I had some negatives.. I really did enjoy this movie as a stand-alone work.

Would I pay to see it again.... yes.

Would I buy the Blu-ray... yes

I wouldn’t wait until BGOL cinemas on this. There are parts that need to be watched on the big screen. Everything isn’t shown in the trailers. Also stay until the end...

Now the next discussion needs to be... this movie continues to show me that DC really doesn’t have a unified vision on their franchise.

Last edited:

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Is it better than Avengers and what would you give it from 1 to 10?

Not better then Avengers 1 but way better then Avengers 2.

I’d give it a solid 8. I’d give it a higher score but BVS just left so many questions that I spent a lard chunk of the movie trying to understand how this movie fits in with BVS and the Future DC movies.. that’s the biggest problem with DC since they clearly don’t have a unified plan. A true fan is going to leave this movie with unanswered questions. Like I have NOooo Fucking clue how they can Make a Man is Steel 2 Movie. Like no clue....

Also Flash isn’t anywhere close to being a character that deserves his own movie. He is basically comic relief in this film.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

I’d give it a solid 8. I’d give it a higher score but BVS just left so many questions that I spent a lard chunk of the movie trying to understand how this movie fits in with BVS and the Future DC movies.. that’s the biggest problem with DC since they clearly don’t have a unified plan. A true fan is going to leave this movie with unanswered questions. Like I have NOooo Fucking clue how they can Make a Man is Steel 2 Movie. Like no clue....

Also Flash isn’t anywhere close to being a character that deserves his own movie. He is basically comic relief in this film.
I expect your opinion will lower further after a 2nd viewing

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor

A Flash movie would be the shit. I seen Green Lantern and I thought it wasn’t as bad as some people say. It could have been more action but I’d give the movie a 7.5

Was is better than Suicide Squad?

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
What was the after-credits scene..?

and was there a caption saying "Justice League will return...." :lol:

No caption...
There were 2 scenes... the first one was a scene where Barry and Superman have a brief Worlds Fastest moment.. which would be cooler if Barry didn’t run like jimmy from South Park. It was distracting.

The second one was much better. Luthor escaped from Prison and met up with Deathstroke on a boat to discuss Luthor’s idea of making a league of Villains to fight the Justice league. Deathstroke comes off as complete badass but damn Jessie Eisenberg is gawd awful as Lex. Like it shows... in this scene. It’s bad.

My issue with this Legion of Doom tease is when in the fuck are you going to get it. Their calendar is filled with all these random other movies and spinoffs... I’ll be in my mid 40s before this drops.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I expect your opinion will lower further after a 2nd viewing

Possibly but I’m not going to hate just to hate... he actually was pretty good.

Joss Whedon saved this. I would really love to see the original Snyder cut of this. We know that Clark was supposed to be wearing his black outfit and have long hair in this film. Those scenes were shot and yet there’s nothing close to that in this movie. Maybe one scene... when Clark is brought back and flips out when he doesn’t know anyone. That was at close as we get to a dark Superman. Side note... that scene was the scene where I first said this movie might be ok.

There’s also a scene in this tunnel where the group first fights Steppenwolf and the para-demons that I thought was standout.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
A Flash movie would be the shit. I seen Green Lantern and I thought it wasn’t as bad as some people say. It could have been more action but I’d give the movie a 7.5

Was is better than Suicide Squad?

Not this version of the Flash fam... this dude is a wimp. He spends most of the Movie just running around taking civillians away from danger or tripping. There are a couple good flash moments but he is probably 95% comedic relief in this.

It was better then suicide squad. Made more sense too

This was is also one of the most action packed of the DC movies. It is probably running neck and neck with man of steel for the amount of action.

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor
Not this version of the Flash fam... this dude is a wimp. He spends most of the Movie just running around taking civillians away from danger or tripping. There are a couple good flash moments but he is probably 95% comedic relief in this.

It was better then suicide squad. Made more sense too

This was is also one of the most action packed of the DC movies. It is probably running neck and neck with man of steel for the amount of action.

I will check on Sunday cause I don’t like very big crowds. Plus no telling if some fool dressed as the Flash may come in the theatre bustin caps. Good looks

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Possibly but I’m not going to hate just to hate... he actually was pretty good.

Joss Whedon saved this. I would really love to see the original Snyder cut of this. We know that Clark was supposed to be wearing his black outfit and have long hair in this film. Those scenes were shot and yet there’s nothing close to that in this movie. Maybe one scene... when Clark is brought back and flips out when he doesn’t know anyone. That was at close as we get to a dark Superman. Side note... that scene was the scene where I first said this movie might be ok.

There’s also a scene in this tunnel where the group first fights Steppenwolf and the para-demons that I thought was standout.
not hate...
if you said Ironman 3 Thor 1 or 2 etc... ok
but Avengers 2?
possible on story, maybe more action, but I'm not seeing enough in the trailers to support that on the tech and sfx side

Snyder's ideas for tone and costume and the lack of practical effects, sets a low bar visually- I wish they were able to step it back to MoS

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
The second one was much better. Luthor escaped from Prison and met up with Deathstroke on a boat to discuss Luthor’s idea of making a league of Villains to fight the Justice league. Deathstroke comes off as complete badass but damn Jessie Eisenberg is gawd awful as Lex. Like it shows... in this scene. It’s bad.

Wonder if that was Joe Manginello as Slade..

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
not hate...
but Avengers 2?
possible on story, maybe more action, but I'm not seeing enough in the trailers to support that on the tech and sfx side

Snyder's ideas for tone and costume and the lack of practical effects, sets a low bar visually- I wish they were able to step it back to MoS

I hear you...

I just had more issues with Avenger 2 then I had with this movie. It was flawed but I was throughly entertained throughout and in Avengers there’s a noticeable drag in the middle of the film.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I hear you...

I just had more issues with Avenger 2 then I had with this movie. It was flawed but I was throughly entertained throughout and in Avengers there’s a noticeable drag in the middle of the film.

After thinking on it... I’d put it below Avengers 2. Even though Avengers 2 had a dip in the middle... it had more WOW moments then this movie. This movie had maybe one or two Wow moments.

Last edited:

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Painfully obvious that they didn't have a road map for this universe. Man of Steel was just a stab in the dark that they decided to build around after it made money. There shouldn't be huge plotholes that you mentioned.

Correct that was the problem.. Man of Steel wasn’t built to start a Universe and Batman VS Superman came to soon. The Universe continues to feel like it’s rushed together.

My boy said it best after the film... Marvel films have a set path to an ending and DC films are just reacting to the moment.

Last edited:

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
from what I read.. it is.

He looked legit as Deathstroke..... they got the right guy for Slade Wilson. His version mirrors the Slade from New 52.

But the problem is that... It really stood out how miscast Jessie Eisenburg is as Lex Luthor. He really just seems like the Dude from Social Network in a suit.

And I like Jessie Eisenburg. dude was amazing in The Social Network. it’s one of my all time favorite movies but he doesn’t work as Lex.

He would work better as someone like Captain Cold.

Last edited:

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Painfully obvious that they didn't have a road map for this universe. Man of Steel was just a stab in the dark that they decided to build around after it made money. There shouldn't be huge plotholes that you mentioned.

Um. So was Iron Man.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Another issue that I have comes with the fact that i hate that Lex Luthor knows the identities of all of the superhero’s.

He knows more about these people then the team. It just gives him unlimited power.

You could explain away this with the end of Batman v Superman when you thought he was batshit crazy but this movie changes everything with his conversation with Deathstroke. It now appears that he is completely sane.

So why even worry about forming another team ... when you have all of these peoples families as living targets and you have the deadliest mercenary in the DC universe on your payroll.

This is actually going to affect the perception of Deathstroke in the Batman movie. Why doesn’t Lex just tell Slade everything about Bruce and be done with it.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Another issue that I have comes with the fact that i hate that Lex Luthor knows the identities of all of the superhero’s.

He knows more about these people then the team. It just gives him unlimited power.

You could explain away this with the end of Batman v Superman when you thought he was batshit crazy but this movie changes everything with his conversation with Deathstroke. It now appears that he is completely sane.

So why even worry about forming another team ... when you have all of these peoples families as living targets and you have the deadliest mercenary in the DC universe on your payroll.

This is actually going to affect the perception of Deathstroke in the Batman movie. Why doesn’t Lex just tell Slade everything about Bruce and be done with it.
its VERY unlikely that deathstroke will be in the Batman now... word is Matt scrapped everything

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
not hate...
but Avengers 2?

Man the more I’m thinking about this film... the more my opinion is lowering on it.

As a whole it actually wasn’t bad.. but as part of a universe building film..
I would have to give it a 6.5.

Batman vs Superman really affects your ability to enjoy the film for what it is.

There are going to be a ton of members making posts... saying shit like “ Don’t listen to the critics... this movie was a Fucking 10” or “Fonz doesn’t know what he was talking about.... this movie felt like a live action comic book”

But there are just major plot holes that are directly related to the holes created in Batman v Superman that just make you ask to many questions... and a good movie should never leave you having to ask “I just don’t understand why this character is doing this thing” or what’s the end game of this.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Man the more I’m thinking about this film... the more my opinion is lowering on it.

As a whole it actually wasn’t bad.. but as part of a universe building film..
I would have to give it a 6.5.

Batman vs Superman really affects your ability to enjoy the film for what it is.

There are going to be a ton of members making posts... saying shit like “ Don’t listen to the critics... this movie was a Fucking 10” or “Fonz doesn’t know what he was talking about.... this movie felt like a live action comic book”

But there are just major plot holes that are directly related to the holes created in Batman v Superman that just make you ask to many questions... and a good movie should never leave you having to ask “I just don’t understand why this character is doing this thing” or what’s the end game of this.
:giggle:
I read your review - and it reminded me of the first thoughts I had about Wonder Woman...
the holes flaws you mentioned are the type to keep getting larger or harsher

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member

Yup. Co-Sign everything here. I gotta give a better, more in depth review when I get a chance. Matter fact, I need to see this again and then check out the screenplay when I can to see what the hell they changed. I want to give it a 7 but my brain starts working and it goes down.

Also from what I've heard, Cyborg and Flash might be combined into a buddy flick. I have NO idea if they are gonna do Flashpoint. That would be another milestone to hit but that's all so risky right now. This is a young Flash, he aint hero flash yet.

I always thought that about Man of Steel. He wasn't the "real" Supes we know. Not yet. He was too green. He was still green in Batmna V Superman too. This is along the lines of where we should be going with Supes.

There are also rumors about Ben Affleck NOT staying on a s Batman and wanting some sort of a graceful exit from the role. I don't know if this will come to pass but I hope not. This might just be them trolling or so I hear but if Ben leaves, they have to replace him and I just don't know where his head is if they don't go with him in the new planned Matt Reeves Batman flick.

I'm pissed about Supes black suit tho. I cant even front. They could've done the beard. They could've done the long hair too. And to be honest, I'm starting to think they should've kept the mustache on too. This is a trivial gripe I know but it was disappointing. Fanboys are going to flip this flick off for that.

Wonder if that was Joe Manginello as Slade..

Yup. He looked EXACTLY like Slade too.

Thing is like @fonzerrillii said, he looks like a comic book accurate version of Slade. From the comics for sure, NOT the one from that original Teen Titans cartoon. His voice is good. Beard and everything looks right because its all natural. Him standing opposite of Lex almost fucks up the scene. Its a contrast of what works against what doesn't work and Jesse is STILL playing Lex the same silly way. I just don't understand what he's doing. That nigga knows better.

My Bad, It's been such a long stretch with movies I thought that scene was the end of Iron Man II.

I see what you mean. Its easy to confuse them.

It was still a stab but Marvel had a hopeful map set up. After Hulk the after credit tag was Tony approaching the General in a bar and talking about The Avengers just like Fury did with him. By time we got to Iron Man 2, we see Thor's Hammer in the ground in New Mexico and that was truly an OH SHIT moment.

I think DC has a plan too but it isn't working as good as they wanted it too and they are making adjustments as they go on. The runtime on this didn't help either. I wanted to see more. Maybe it will be on the extended cut.

oNE

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
The runtime on this didn't help either. I wanted to see more. Maybe it will be on the extended cut.

oNE[/QUOTE]

They are smart for having that extended cut. I'll actually purchase the Blu-ray based on that extended cut where, usually I'd skip. Anyway, funny how every screams how much DC movies suck but like I said "niggas going to go see it anyway".