Jordan Peele new movie "Us" - updated with trailer (contains spoilers)

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
He went almost 5 years without being in ANY movie. That's an eternity in hollywood years.

Not an eternity when you finance your own hit. You think old boy was searching for rom coms after making a couple hundred million on a massive bet.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Not an eternity when you finance your own hit. You think old boy was searching for rom coms after making a couple hundred million on a massive bet.

Who said he was broke? I said he got ghosted after the anti-semetic comments. Being blackballed for 5 years when you're at the peak of your popularity qualifies, right?

Being able to make your films is one thing. Being able to DISTRIBUTE them is another..especially during that era.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

Let me help you out if you don't understand what I'm saying

https://www.independent.ie/entertai...as-an-actor-says-bryan-cranston-31593825.html
https://nordic.businessinsider.com/shane-black-mel-gibson-is-being-blacklisted-2016-5/
https://www.thetalko.com/15-celebrities-that-have-been-blacklisted/
https://www.thisisinsider.com/why-im-not-ready-to-forgive-mel-gibson-2016-11

It was pretty clear he was being frozen out. And this was a popular, powerful white dude. Most others would have been completely done.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

and this is about his "comback"

"If you haven’t noticed yet, Mel Gibson, the Oscar-winning actor and director who was mostly blackballed in Hollywood after a series of horrifying anti-Semitic tirades, racist and abusive rants, and seeming admissions of domestic violence, is back"

https://splinternews.com/mel-gibson-is-making-a-big-comeback-heres-why-thats-so-1793864269

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
Who said he was broke? I said he got ghosted after the anti-semetic comments. Being blackballed for 5 years when you're at the peak of your popularity qualifies, right?

Being able to make your films is one thing. Being able to DISTRIBUTE them is another..especially during that era.

There are still people in Hollywood that wont take meetings with Gibson or socialize with him etc.

How much does it matter ? It doesnt. He is still producing films.

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor

Jordan Peele, Lupita, Winston, and reworking 'I Got 5 On It' into a cinematic type score. This picture has never felt more appropriate....
takemymoney.jpg

Silencer

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not a big horror guy...I can count on one hand the horror movies I've paid to see. Get Out was one of them (though if my homeboy didn't call me and say let's go see it I probably wouldn't have). This has a very good chance of being the next one.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
There are still people in Hollywood that wont take meetings with Gibson or socialize with him etc.

How much does it matter ? It doesnt. He is still producing films.

If you have money, you can't be stopped from producing films because you can pay people. How about distribution though? How about marketing. You're being very myopic right now. Your argument is that he wasn't completely buried? He's rich. But right now, he can't even get into the front door at major studios..even 13 years after that shit happened and for 5 years, he was practically completely shelved... blackballed completely. We must not even be arguing about the same thing.

and how much does it matter? In the entertainment industry, everything is about being hot at the moment and having the momentum behind you. There's an entire sub-industry build on that principle.

Mel Gibson is no longer A-List. They didn't bury him but they've removed his relevance which is enough to deter others from saying anything crazy in the future.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
No one can stop you, not even the almighty powerful jews.

If Kap got back into the league 2 years from now, would that mean he wasn't blackballed at some point? If you can answer that honestly, we don't have anything else to debate. You're arguing something completely different.

And everyone isn't Mel Gibson. There are plenty of people who have, are, and can be blackballed by the Jews in Hollywood..it's just much harder with a white A-list already worth 9 figures and with decades in the industry.

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
If you have money, you can't be stopped from producing films because you can pay people. How about distribution though? How about marketing. You're being very myopic right now. Your argument is that he wasn't completely buried? He's rich. But right now, he can't even get into the front door at major studios..even 13 years after that shit happened and for 5 years, he was practically completely shelved... blackballed completely. We must not even be arguing about the same thing.

and how much does it matter? In the entertainment industry, everything is about being hot at the moment and having the momentum behind you. There's an entire sub-industry build on that principle.

Mel Gibson is no longer A-List. They didn't bury him but they've removed his relevance which is enough to deter others from saying anything crazy in the future.

He cant get in the front door? His film just won Oscars & a couple hundred mill in box office. Oscar is the ultimate award from your peers in the film industry. The one caveat is Gibson is an excellent film maker.

He has many enemies. Ones he has seeked out & created confrontation with, & it hasnt stopped him. Thats the lesson & the options he has in his chosen profession.

Bet 50% or more of whatever your worth on 1 idea of yours. Thats what he did & won. The guy is an asshole. I sat in on a pitch to him at his house in Malibu years ago. He is an unapologetic asshole & of course we all know through recordings a racist asshole.

If Kap got back into the league 2 years from now, would that mean he wasn't blackballed at some point? If you can answer that honestly, we don't have anything else to debate. You're arguing something completely different.

And everyone isn't Mel Gibson. There are plenty of people who have, are, and can be blackballed by the Jews in Hollywood..it's just much harder with a white A-list already worth 9 figures and with decades in the industry.

No doubt everyone is not in Gibsons position when facing being blackballed. He had a extremely strong rep, successful credits & the spoils from that to be more defiant. Dont flex on your opposition when aint ready to fight.

Gibsons chosen profession allows him more options of recourse.

Thats what makes Tyler Perry extremely smart. Moving his operation away from Hollywood.

Cant deny Gibson was ousted from the 1 lead on scripts that float from studio to studio. He stood by his "own" conviction got that project distributed with his own money & proved a point. The old "where there is a will there is a way". At that point of denial & FUTURE CONSEQUENCE. He did it himself.

Kaps options are severely limited in comparison. 32 teams & Canada. He has no do it yourself option. He is an employee in a weak union sport & didnt get support from 90% or more of his co-workers who didnt want to put there rep or salary on the line. Is it the owners or the guy standing next to you ? Or the fans who cant turn off their drug. A lot of lip service paid, but sports is like crack in that same temporary escape from reality.

He couldnt put together a team & compete against NFL teams. Or could he ? Possibly. But if you want in, you are not usually thinking of outs.

Kap will get a courage award & apology 20 years from now from the NFL. And that protest dip in viewership has already subsided. Nike strategically(Kap campaign) made it ok after securing its long term deal with the league.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
wow that was dope...thought it was a car commercial @ first and was wondering why the fuck are they depicting a black family playing “I got 5 on it” w/ 2 kids in the backseat...then the little boy asked about the song and I peeped it was a trailer and was instantly hooked...shit looks insane

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
He cant get in the front door? His film just won Oscars & a couple hundred mill in box office. Oscar is the ultimate award from your peers in the film industry. The one caveat is Gibson is an excellent film maker.

He has many enemies. Ones he has seeked out & created confrontation with, & it hasnt stopped him. Thats the lesson & the options he has in his chosen profession.

Bet 50% or more of whatever your worth on 1 idea of yours. Thats what he did & won. The guy is an asshole. I sat in on a pitch to him at his house in Malibu years ago. He is an unapologetic asshole & of course we all know through recordings a racist asshole.

No doubt everyone is not in Gibsons position when facing being blackballed. He had a extremely strong rep, successful credits & the spoils from that to be more defiant. Dont flex on your opposition when aint ready to fight.

Gibsons chosen profession allows him more options of recourse.

Thats what makes Tyler Perry extremely smart. Moving his operation away from Hollywood.

Cant deny Gibson was ousted from the 1 lead on scripts that float from studio to studio. He stood by his "own" conviction got that project distributed with his own money & proved a point. The old "where there is a will there is a way". At that point of denial & FUTURE CONSEQUENCE. He did it himself.

Kaps options are severely limited in comparison. 32 teams & Canada. He has no do it yourself option. He is an employee in a weak union sport & didnt get support from 90% or more of his co-workers who didnt want to put there rep or salary on the line. Is it the owners or the guy standing next to you ? Or the fans who cant turn off their drug. A lot lip service paid, but sports is like crack in that same temporary escape from reality.

He couldnt put together a team & compete against NFL teams. Or could he ? Possibly. But if you want in, you are not usually thinking of outs.

Kap will get a courage award & apology 20 years from now from the NFL. And that protest dip in viewership has already subsided. Nike strategically(Kap campaign) made it ok after securing its long term deal with the league.

I don't know if you're doing this on purpose.

I'm going to ask you again.

If he was not blackballed, how do you account for him not doing any movies for 5 years after his anti-Semitic rant?

You're talking about something from this year... almost 16 fucking years later. You know you can get blackballed and still eventually work your way back in somehow. It doesn't' change the fact that you were indeed blackballed.

Your argument is that Mel Gibson eventually beat out the blackball. That's not what the original argument was. He's super talented and worth 9 figures. He's an exception to the rule.

My question about Kap wasn't rhetorical.

If some team, for some strange reason, gave Kap a job next season, would that change the fact that he was blackballed? Beating a blackball doesn't mean you weren't indeed blackballed.

What you're arguing is that Mel was talented enough and rich enough to beat it a DECADE later. He still got fucked.

I have no argument about Tyler Perry. We're in agreement. That's why I keep saying we are arguing two different things. You're arguing about being in a powerful enough position to beat a blackballing industry. That's not what the original comment was about. It was about Jordan Peele. He's not Mel Gibson, boss... and that's even with it being much more difficult to do that now because distribution has changed so much. Back then, it was much easier to freeze someone out and they successfully did it to him for 5 years.

I don't disagree with much that you're writing. We're just arguing different premises altogether.

Last edited:

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lmao at Shady driving around Chicago taking pics to appear like he live in the city. He asked his sister for a favor. “ Can you drive out to the south side I need to keep this fake thug image up and take some pics
Man I was scared as fuck!!!!!!!

It was people beating on mop thingys with sticks.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
It's just the vibe that I got from watching the trailer....

The author kinda referenced a similar view about doppleganger flicks in the 9th paragraph.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/12/25/jordan-peele-debuts-new-movie-monster-in-the-us-trailer

This film should do CRAZY numbers tho.

I'll be honest though...I'm not one of those cats that can watch a trailer like this and catch everything. I have to watch them shits a few times to catch the subtle stuff so basically I'm just yapping :lol:

Like i straight missed that shadows/baggage on the beach thing the first 6-7 times i watched that shit

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
I don't know if you're doing this on purpose.

I'm going to ask you again.

If he was not blackballed, how do you account for him not doing any movies for 5 years after his anti-Semitic rant?

You're talking about something from this year... almost 16 fucking years later. You know you can get blackballed and still eventually work your way back in somehow. It doesn't' change the fact that you were indeed blackballed.

Your argument is that Mel Gibson eventually beat out the blackball. That's not what the original argument was. He's super talented and worth 9 figures. He's an exception to the rule.

Lets call it whiteballed:lol:Did he get the movie made & distributed globally ? And it made ridiculous amount of money. Yes he was blackballed, and he knew the cost & dug into his position. But only after building the resources to withstand attack.

In the face of opposition against a superior opponent when it comes to resourses & decision making authority. You have to be more calculated in your advances. Could Gibson after Road Warrior or Lethal Weapon part one have survived pitching & putting Passion of the Christ into pre-production. No.

Could these "mythically powerful" figures stop him once he had the resources to back up his own position. No

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
I'll be honest though...I'm not one of those cats that can watch a trailer like this and catch everything. I have to watch them shits a few times to catch the subtle stuff so basically I'm just yapping :lol:

Like i straight missed that shadows/baggage on the beach thing the first 6-7 times i watched that shit

I work in the broadcasting industry and I edit visuals as a hobby. So I have a tendency to view things a little differently sometimes...my next paycheck might depend on it.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I work in the broadcasting industry and I edit visuals as a hobby. So I have a tendency to view things a little differently sometimes...my next paycheck might depend on it.

yeah. you probably cartch all kinds of shit. I'm not visual. I'm a reader. I'd much rather read something than watch video on it (or even listen to it). I usually to follow this really popular podcast and instead of listening to it, I would wait a week and read the transcripts :smh:

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
All dark skin cast…then he goes home to his all white wife.

Amazing

Not just a white wife, one that use to open for Louis CK & guested on his TV show. The same Louie who has put Chris Rock very recently in the jowls of viral court of public opinion with his exploration of the word n!!!er.

Forget Ja Rule. What does Jordan Peele think about this ?

Last edited: