John Johnson - Publisher of Jet & Ebony Dies

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Black magazine publisher John Johnson dead at 87</font size></center>

reuters.gif

Mon Aug 8, 2005 6:24 PM ET
By Andrew Stern

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Magazine publisher John Johnson, who jolted the mostly black readers of Ebony and Jet with violent images that lent visibility and momentum to the civil rights movement, died on Monday, his office said.

A publicist at Johnson's Chicago-based publishing company would not immediately give a cause of death. He was 87.

A multimillionaire who in 1982 became the first black American to make Forbes' list of the richest Americans, Johnson said his magazine philosophy was to reflect the "happier side" of black American life, and that "deep down, at the end of the day, we're trying to give people hope."

But from the early days of the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s, readers of Ebony and Jet saw vivid images of the tumult over school desegregation, police beating blacks and the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X.

But readers also read about black celebrities and absorbed hints on accumulating wealth, which led to charges Johnson neglected the pressing problems facing many of his readers.

Copies of Jet's historic photograph of the mutilated body of teenager Emmett Till in his casket helped galvanize the civil rights movement. An all-white jury later acquitted two white Mississippians of the 1955 murder of the 14-year-old Chicagoan killed for whistling at a white woman.

Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, who once worked on Johnson's loading dock, said Till's photograph inspired Rosa Parks to spark the Montgomery, Alabama, bus boycott.

Johnson's magazines became must-reading for many blacks -- Ebony's circulation grew to nearly two million, Jet to nearly one million -- leading to the oft-heard adage in the black community: "If it wasn't in Jet, it didn't happen."

'A VOICE AND FACE'

"He gave African Americans a voice and a face, in his words, 'a new sense of somebody-ness,' of who they were and what they could do, at a time when they were virtually invisible in mainstream American culture," President Bill Clinton said when awarding Johnson the Medal of Freedom in 1996.

Born in Arkansas City, Arkansas, Johnson was 6 when his father was killed in a mill accident.

After the family moved to Chicago, Johnson was attending college and working at an insurance company when he borrowed $500 using his mother's furniture as collateral. He sent offers for $2 subscriptions to the firm's clients, using $6,000 in proceeds to create "Negro Digest," modeled on Reader's Digest.

Borrowing the look of Life Magazine, Johnson began Ebony in 1942. Jet was launched in 1951.

Unable to line up advertisers for a magazine created by and for blacks, Johnson started his own mail-order beauty products firm and ran its ads. He created his own line of cosmetics suitable for the black models appearing on his pages. He later bought and sold radio stations.

Recounting his story in a 1989 autobiography, "Succeeding Against the Odds," Johnson would write, "One of the sweetest emotions in the world is watching scorn turn into awe."

Johnson defended his magazines against charges of being lightweight by saying: "Whenever I got sick, my mother gave me castor oil. And I'd run and hide and squeal and holler. Finally she got smart. She gave it to me in orange juice. And it was more acceptable then.

"I tell people all the time, we run a lot of entertainment, but it's orange juice. If you look inside, there's always castor oil."

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...LE-PEOPLE-JOHNSON-DC.XML&pageNumber=0&summit=

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<center>
logo_top.gif

<font size="6">Johnson leaves imprint on media industry</font size></center>

by Corey Hall, Contributing Writer
August 9, 2005

Reported by Defender staff writers Theresa Fambro Hooks, Karen E. Pride and Roland S. Martin, and contributing writer Rhonda Jones

The foundation, established long ago by greatness, can only be emulated, never equaled.

That was the refrain of respect expressed by numerous publishers, writers, editors and media consultants who talked to the Chicago Defender about the life of John H. Johnson, the founder of Johnson Publishing Company, who died Monday at age 87.

Cathy Hughes, the founder of Radio One and the only Black woman to head a publicly-traded company, called Johnson one of America's greatest entrepreneurs.

"He was a pioneer and an inspiration for all who seek to establish a foundation and a legacy that will have positive impact on numerous generations to come," she said in a statement to the Chicago Defender. "He was my dear friend, my mentor, and the example of whom I aspire to be in the world of communications."

Edward Lewis, chairman and founder of Essence Communications Inc., noted how Johnson's career made his success - and every other Black publishers - possible.

"He made groundbreaking strides with his magazines and was an inspiration to all of us in the business," Lewis told the Defender. "He was one of the most candid and unvarnished businessmen I have ever encountered in my 37 years in media. His legacy will continue under the leadership of his daughter, Linda Johnson Rice. The death of John H. Johnson is a tremendous loss to the publishing world."

Robert Johnson, founder/chairman of Black Entertainment Television, called John H. Johnson - no relation - "one of the greatest American businessmen of all times."

"What John H. Johnson achieved against seemingly insurmountable odds of race discrimination and economic segregation is a testament to his courage, his vision and his unparalleled entrepreneurial genius," he said in a statement.

"Black America has lost a leader who gave us all a voice and a positive self-image in Ebony and Jet and we will miss him greatly. On behalf of everyone at BET, I express my sincere condolences to his family and his employees."

For Johnathan Rodgers, CEO, TV-One Cable Network and a former station manager at WBBM-TV/Ch. 2, Johnson's life brought courage, dignity and grace to journalism.

"While others saw us through the haze of ignorance and fear, Mr. Johnson was proud to show us off, to brag about our achievements and to loudly proclaim our contributions to the culture and to the society," Rodgers told the Defender.

Dori Maynard, president, Maynard Institute, said Johnson paved the way for media pioneers such as her father, Robert Maynard, the first African American to own a major daily newspaper when he purchased the Oakland Tribune.

"What John Johnson did for, by and with people of color is an extraordinary legacy is the precursor for much of what we're seeing today," Maynard told the Defender. "He laid the foundation for the huge interest now in what's being called ethnic media. He demonstrated that news about people of color is extremely relevant, profitable and is necessary for the functioning of our democracy. Ebony and Jet were one of the few means by which we got to hear about our community, especially during the years when we weren't covered at all by other media."

Melody Spann-Cooper, president of Chicago's WVON-AM/1450, and chairman of Midway Broadcasting, called Johnson "one of the most important figures - historically- of our time. He chronicled our history on a weekly and monthly basis. He was our human archive."

When expressing her sense of loss, Hermene Hartman, publisher, N'Digo and Savoy, said, "We have lost a giant, probably Black America's first business tycoon. It is amazing how Mr. Johnson parlayed $500 into a multimillion-dollar empire - media, cosmetics, radio and television programming. He was a great businessman, a master communicator and a tremendous philanthropist. He was a pioneer. We will miss him and always remember him. He opened so many doors."

Tom Burrell, founder, Chicago-based Burrell Communications, noted Johnson's importance to the concept and reality of Black entrepreneurialism.

"There was Black entrepreneurship before John H. Johnson, but he really brought is to life, primarily because he was in a new area. And that area was media, particularly national print media," Burrell told the Defender. "He made a huge difference for advertising agencies. I'm not sure any or those entities would have flourished in the ways they did without his presence. Along with the Defender, his company was the bedrock of media.

"The thing that was most pronounced about him was his ability to cut to the chase, to take complex things and simplify them. He'd just break it down. If he had fewer ad pages than he'd like, he just said well, my postage and paper costs would go down for this issue. He made lemonade."

Ken Smikle, president, Target Market News, a Chicago-based news and research company specializing in African American marketing and media, emphasized how Johnson's genius and commitment to Black people, not just profit, made him most unique.

"We have lost a giant whose business acumen placed him among the top
echelon in three business arena," Smikle said. "John H. Johnson achieved triple success in media, manufacturing and marketing.

"(Johnson) created the best selling African-American magazines ever; manufactured a groundbreaking line of high-end cosmetics for black women, and excelled in marketing by pushing all his products to the number one position in their respective categories. And he capitalized all of this with no outside investors. It is an accomplishment that remains unduplicated and continues to inspire all those who aspire to the American dream."

John B. Smith, publisher and CEO of the Atlanta Enquirer and chairman of
the National Newspaper Publishers Association, noted that Johnson meant much to the Black press, because he discovered positive stories to tell about Black people. Before 1945, when Ebony began publishing, Black people had only been depicted as either villains or victims.

"It was the first time black America could see themselves not as an Uncle
Tom but a serious and sensitive way," Smith said. "Black folks life had never been depicted before or the rolls they played in building America."

Brenda Butler, president of the Chicago chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists - and a two-year staff at Jet magazine - noted that "many black journalists honed their skills while working for John H. Johnson and his magazines."

"Mr. Johnson was a risk-taker, a visionary and a believer that given the chance, one can do great things, as he did," she said.

"He opened the doors for many, not just his own. We owe him so much and are grateful for his having paved the way. He changed journalism, and he changed the country.
"What I appreciated most about Mr. Johnson's life was the courage, dignity and grace he brought to the world of journalism. While others saw us through the haze of ignorance and fear, Mr. Johnson was proud to show us off, to brag about our achievements, and to loudly proclaim our contributions to the culture and to the society. We, Black Americans and Black Journalists, would not be where we are today without the leadership of this marvelous human being."

In his tribute, Bryan Monroe, NABJ president, noted how Black people were raised reading Johnson's publications. "Mr. Johnson was a pioneer, a visionary, and an inspiration to us all. He is responsible for the careers and success of hundreds of black journalists, and his voice will be missed."

Terrie Williams, a nationally known publicist based in New York, found it difficult to discuss John H. Johnson.

"[Johnson's death] is such a profound loss. There are no words to adequately express how I feel," she told the Defender. "[John H. Johnson] is one treasure that death really can't take away. He is an example of how you can do what you want to do if you put your mind to it. His spirit will be with us always."

http://www.chicagodefender.com/page/national.cfm?ArticleID=1846

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
[frame]http://www.chicagodefender.com/page/national.cfm?ArticleID=1855[/frame]

Greed

Star
Registered
it wasnt until reccently that the defender put some real effort into their website. finally.

and respect to johnson for giving black people a choice. more proof that it'll only come if its provided by black people.