Hugh Masekela, South African jazz trumpeter, dies aged 78.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DUOlru_WsAA_Tih.jpg

always came with the dopest album covers.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
We can safely say bra Hugh was one of the great architects of Afro-Jazz and he uplifted the soul of a nation through his timeless music.

Masekela/Makeba, and Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand)/Sathima Bea Benjamin bought that Capetown Jazz to the forefront.
Both pairs were Husband and Wife duos.

MrSid

International
International Member
Its crazy how he remained relevant all those years. They are still playing this mix on the radio.
RIP

He changed the game so many times , this man as we will say in South Africa , what a guy , what a guy .

Music is lessor today.

I Dnt even know how much of his music I have , I just used to buy whenever I used to shop for cds .

housefly

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He changed the game so many times , this man as we will say in South Africa , what a guy , what a guy .

Music is lessor today.

I Dnt even know how much of his music I have , I just used to buy whenever I used to shop for cds .

Way ahead of his time that's the only thing I can say.
Gonna get my playlist together and bump it in the car as a show of respect

:ipod::crying:

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2956.jpg

2470.jpg

2807.jpg

1839.jpg

3379.jpg

5105.jpg

3800.jpg

1800.jpg

without doubt one of the jazz greats - he was an extraordinary man. Calm, focused, sharply intelligent and committed to the struggle in South Africa, a country he said he would never return to until it was a land fit for human beings.

His contribution to the freedom struggle will be rightly lauded but his contribution to music was no less marked. He played the business at its own game, controlling his rights and recordings rather than being controlled, pushing the boundaries of jazz into the popular mainstream and nurturing a generation of musicians who went on to become major international stars.

He will be missed and can never be replaced but his spirit will live on.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One of mt cousins husband from South Africa and was at my pops funeral

He told me about famo

Been listening to his music ever since

Rip

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
DUOkUyHW0AEoicy.jpg

1956: “A young 16-year old Hugh Masekela leaping in the air, clutching the trumpet that had been sent to him by Louis Armstrong.” Photograph by the late Drum photographer Alf Kumalo
Wow! What a timeless photo!

Rest in Peace, Baba