How would you handle this "homegrown" situation?

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
shocked-surprised-asian-man-looking-laptop-computer-screen-sitting-living-room_59017-675.jpg

Hard-drive badly damaged, but my critical videos are still on there (memories like the birth of my kids, weddings, my honeymoon and all types of celebrations). The downside is I also have homegrown movies from my 20s (I know I should have deleted it, but, of course I didn't). It's not my wife, but a few chicks from my younger days before my wife and I started dating.

Well, I found a company and they took a quick look and can fix it for a reasonable amount ($300). They need to go through my drive, repair it, and transfer the files to a new hard drive. Of course, I'm worried about the homegrown falling into the wrong hands.

How wold you go about recovering valuable videos, knowing there is also the potential for some bad actor to mismanage your sensitive files?

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
Have you tried this...

Good looking out Lexx.

I read this comment in the link your posted, which is exactly what's occurring with mine:

"BTW, if the HD is clicking or making off-brand/screeching noises, the heads have crashed & you are going to need major work."

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
OK. Lots of progress made. Extracted the videos from my external hard drive and ran them through online repair software. Audio is great. No breaks in the file, and the only remaining issue is a green screen.

Does anyone know how to repair the video itself? Audio and run time are both perfect - simply can't get rid of this green screen.

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OK. Lots of progress made. Extracted the videos from my external hard drive and ran them through online repair software. Audio is great. No breaks in the file, and the only remaining issue is a green screen.

Does anyone know how to repair the video itself? Audio and run time are both perfect - simply can't get rid of this green screen.
Strip the file from it's container & place it in a new one.

Most times, it's the container that's damaged.

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Download and burn a live CD of Knoppix. Put it in you computer (if it has a DVD drive). Once it boots up you should be able to search the hard drive and copy the videos to a thumb drive.

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I had a crash about 15 years ago on a fonky ass Dell computer and lost everything. Never again. As someone said earlier, if it’s a clicking noise, that is most likely a mechanical issue, which is relatively easy to fix. They are goong to take the spinning disk out of the case and put it in a new one. They have to do that in a closed lab free of dust and shit. If that’s the case they will never look at the data. If it’s a data corruption issue then they have to recover the data and maybe look at it.

bham_brotha

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
shocked-surprised-asian-man-looking-laptop-computer-screen-sitting-living-room_59017-675.jpg

Hard-drive badly damaged, but my critical videos are still on there (memories like the birth of my kids, weddings, my honeymoon and all types of celebrations). The downside is I also have homegrown movies from my 20s (I know I should have deleted it, but, of course I didn't). It's not my wife, but a few chicks from my younger days before my wife and I started dating.

Well, I found a company and they took a quick look and can fix it for a reasonable amount ($300). They need to go through my drive, repair it, and transfer the files to a new hard drive. Of course, I'm worried about the homegrown falling into the wrong hands.

How wold you go about recovering valuable videos, knowing there is also the potential for some bad actor to mismanage your sensitive files?
lol I made this exact topic on here many years ago. Had a shitload of homegrown on a drive and it went out on me. I didn't feel like the risk of leaving it with some folks to do data recovery was worth it so I just ended up pouring lighter fluid on it and cooking that bitch down to nothing.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Considering I have videos of me smoking crack on my hard drives, if they fail, I'm just dumping them.

Curtwalk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Al been there for a while.
Just imagine the type of shit he done seen and heard off the air.
I bet that dude got some stories