How would an economic boom in the innercity play out and what would the reaction be?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Quick history overview - Blacks left the south to escape Jim Crow oppression and find work and opportunity in the big cities in the north east and west coast. It didn't take long for them to discover that whites in the north hated them as much as cacs in the south. As the black population in the inner city grew, white flight happened. Unfortunately it wasn't just white families moving to the suburbs seeking refuge from the black populace. White flight also took jobs and industry away from the big cities as well. As jobs disappeared, the cities started to face economic hard times and usually the first thing cut is education funding. Lack of work, underfunded schools and shrinking housing funding translated into increased welfare rolls, ghettos and a people increasingly falling behind in education. And thats pretty much how its been the last 60 years at least.

But that was then...

dangote.jpg

Enter Aliko Dangote, billionaire industrialist.

The Dangote Group, originally a small trading firm founded in 1977, is now a multi-trillion naira conglomerate with operations in Benin, Ghana, Nigeria, and Togo. Dangote's businesses include food processing, cement manufacturing, and freight. The Dangote Group dominates the sugar market in Nigeria: it is the major sugar supplier to the country's soft drink companies, breweries, and confectioners. Dangote Group has moved from being a trading company to Nigeria's largest industrial group including: Dangote Sugar Refinery,, Dangote Cement, and Dangote Flour amongst others.

Today Dangote Group dominates the sugar market in Nigeria and Dangote Sugar Refinery is the main supplier (70% of the market) to the country's soft drinks companies, breweries and confectioners. It is the largest refinery in Africa and the third largest in the world producing 800,000 tonnes of sugar annually. Dangote Group also owns salt factories and flour mills and is a major importer of rice, fish, pasta, cement and fertilizer. The company also exports cotton, cashew nuts, cocoa, sesame seed and ginger to several countries. Dangote Group also has major investments in real estate, banking, transport, textiles and oil and gas. It employs over 11,000 people and is the largest industrial conglomerate in West Africa.

Dangote is branching into telecommunications and has started building 14,000 kilometres of fibre optic cables to supply the whole of Nigeria. He was honoured in January 2009 as the leading provider of employment in the Nigerian construction industry.

(THIS IS JUST A SCENARIO SO DON'T PULL TOO HARD AT THE LOOSE STRINGS)

In the near future The Dangote Group starts bringing manufacturing and factory work back to the American inner cities. A deal is worked out where telecommunicationand textile plants are opened in cities like Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, South Central LA etc. to produce fiber optics and other products for export around the world. The Dangote group is specific in opening factories in urban and black populated areas. Since its a private business they're free to open plants wherever they want. As a result Detroit is revitalized and the resultant revenue plus grants and scholarships from Dangote sees unemployment among black there at its lowest rate ever and graduation and education scores rising accordingly.

In a decade we see the crime rates, welfare rolls and all negative stats drop precipitously. The inner cities can no longer be called ghettos.

Now here's the question: HOW DO YOU THINK THAT WOULD PLAY OUT WITH THE REST OF AMERICA??

I think we would see whites moving back to cities in bigger droves than now...there were be fake indignation and claims of reverse racism because jobs increases in the black community must mean less jobs for whites.. there would be silent and not so silent boycotts of Dangote products in protest of black success. Racial hatred would spike incredibly.

Last edited:

Diomedes3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: How would an economic boom in the innercity play out and what would the reaction

That would dope Black Power!

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: How would an economic boom in the innercity play out and what would the reaction

come on now...where are the views..this is exactly the scenario I know most of us wish would happen..

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

2 scenarios

1 is the dream scenario

we build our own, own our own, keep our own, nourish our own, and keep the cycle going.

it could happen it has happened before.

the 2nd scenario is the more likely one.
there are too many black assimilates, separatist, amulets out there. soon as they get it, they're looking to move out away and disassociate themselves.

and at the same time white people recognizing the prime real estate will move right in

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor

Quick history overview - Blacks left the south to escape Jim Crow oppression and find work and opportunity in the big cities in the north east and west coast. It didn't take long for them to discover that whites in the north hated them as much as cacs in the south. As the black population in the inner city grew, white flight happened. Unfortunately it wasn't just white families moving to the suburbs seeking refuge from the black populace. White flight also took jobs and industry away from the big cities as well. As jobs disappeared, the cities started to face economic hard times and usually the first thing cut is education funding. Lack of work, underfunded schools and shrinking housing funding translated into increased welfare rolls, ghettos and a people increasingly falling behind in education. And thats pretty much how its been the last 60 years at least.

That overview is NOT correct.

The moral of the story is..... own your shit.

The key is sustainable development and that starts with working with the young.

Let's say Dangote brings 500K high tech jobs, how many black people can fill them? :confused:

The key is to embed the skills needed into the education of our young.

I made a thread saying that you are a failing parent if your child doesn't have a computer or access to a computer.

Instead of people seeing my altruism for kids to learn tech, they saw it as an indictment of their parenting skills, and some of them don't even have kids.

Our future lies with the kids man.

:cool:

To comment on your scenario, yes there would be hatred based on jealously.

However we have to remember that the emerging economies represent the largest growing consumer base so fuck the hate it would generate.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

the overview is just a broad stroke look at the past but whats not correct about that?

Let's say Dangote brings 500K high tech jobs, how many black people can fill them? :confused:

I made a thread saying that you are a failing parent if your child doesn't have a computer or access to a computer.

Instead of people seeing my altruism for kids to learn tech, they saw it as an indictment of their parenting skills, and some of them don't even have kids.

this is why I specifically made the scenario about manufacturing and factory work...the great part about line work is those jobs don't require 3 kinds of degrees to do. A person can make something of a decent wage coming out of highschool and put their kids thru college for those higher skilled jobs of the future. Thats why its especially crippling to a community when those jobs disappear.

The reality is all those gadgets and doo-dads that are all the rave today...SOMEBODY HAS TO BUILD THAT SHIT...and i'm not talking about the programmer that creates the code and graphics i'm talking about the line worker who actually sits down pieces that shit together in the cases and containers..that process isn't totally automated nor will it ever completely be.

You don't need a BA or PHD to lay brick or fix pipes or operate a crane or weld shit. The thing is blacks have largely been kept out of those jobs since they've been jobs primarily thru discrimination and thats primarily for survival. Whites understood that they needed to dominate those jobs over everyone else for their own survival. Thats why in this scenario an African conglomerate, Dangote Group, is looking to expand its operations and decides to target those black areas for its manufacturing jobs.

You are right that the future is in higher skill work that requires more formal education than before but the reality is while blacks aren't prepared for it NEITHER ARE AVERAGE WHITES..the technological revolution caught everyone flatfooted.

However we have to remember that the emerging economies represent the largest growing consumer base so fuck the hate it would generate.

Don't underestimate the hate..its the hate thats kept us down and two steps behind all this time and if we don't figure out a way to be able to pivot and combat it AS A PEOPLE.. AS A GROUP we'll be left even further behind as technology progresses.

Here's a question...what industry do blacks dominate and control?

Jews dominate and control legal and accounting jobs...you see firms and organizations with jewish names.

Ethnic whites tend to control labor industry..italians, irish, polish etc run construction and manufacturing jobs.

going forward you can see latinos starting to carve out their territory in labor jobs.

What industry or practice do blacks as a group control in america?

Those other groups were able to dominate those jobs because they LITERALLY FOUGHT to get and keep them. Thru fear and intimidation tactics if necessary they kept blacks and asians and latinos out of those fields. Labor unions weren't created just to fight for decent wages and working conditions they were also designed to keep blacks and others out those jobs.

The Dangote scenario has always been my dream of elevating blacks as a groups (well in my dream I'm the billionaire doing it..but regardless..lol) but my biggest fear and frustration is this:

IF SOME ENTITY TRIED TO BRING JOBS TO THE BLACK COMMUNITY WOULD WE BE READY TO NOT JUST FILL THEM BUT FIGHT TO KEEP THEM???

Largebillsonlyplease has a scenario that I fear is more likely to happen for the black community in that case he said:

there are too many black assimilates, separatist, amulets out there. soon as they get it, they're looking to move out away and disassociate themselves.

:smh::smh:

i'll leave it there for responses...but this is the basic foundation of a community and the nitty gritty of survival of the black community IMO so i hope to see more opinions and responses.

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

bump

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered

2 scenarios

1 is the dream scenario

we build our own, own our own, keep our own, nourish our own, and keep the cycle going.

it could happen it has happened before.

and at the same time white people recognizing the prime real estate will move right in

What you speak is the conflict a lot of us have. One that bugs the shit out of me. I am looking to buy again , and I have lived in mixed areas most of the last 10 years . Pasadena & Hollywood. I like it.

Dont feel like I should have a governor on where I can/should live. At the same time I feel an internal responsibility to build with my own. That severely limits your areas of choice in LA. I am casually looking in Pasadena, Baldwin Hills/View Park(The heart of black LA) & Carson by Cal State.

I know I am not the only person to feel this conflict. Its frustrating. No disrespect to the topic.

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered

:bravo: props on the article. Its food for thought on the approach & process of empowering ourselves

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

What you speak is the conflict a lot of us have. One that bugs the shit out of me. I am looking to buy again , and I have lived in mixed areas most of the last 10 years . Pasadena & Hollywood. I like it.

Dont feel like I should have a governor on where I can/should live. At the same time I feel an internal responsibility to build with my own. That severely limits your areas of choice in LA. I am casually looking in Pasadena, Baldwin Hills/View Park(The heart of black LA) & Carson by Cal State.

I know I am not the only person to feel this conflict. Its frustrating. No disrespect to the topic.

Its not about where you live its how you work.

Don't down the area because its bad, go to work in it and build it up.

They tried to gentrify West oakland (and are still trying) by offering the people in those historic houses section 8 and moving them inland

i begged my family members to not do it and if they wanted to then let me buy the house... and the ones that did, i did.

soon as enough left, white people came in IMMEDIATELY
the property value (because it is literally right on the water ) increased by 100%

and the black people that used to own those places were now in antioch and stockton in the desert
away from everything

I live in east oakland. they say its bad some parts are but most parts arent
there are 3 white families who have moved on my block in the past year....

they say the location you can't beat it
don't let them fool you.

work with our own provide and build and demand respect and it'll end up alright.

i know on my street we don't allow drug dealers
its known if you try someone will call the police period
can't pinpoint who it will be because we're all unified
and we're not going anywhere
so on this street at least it doesn't happen.

now if others took a stand then who knows what could happen

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered

Now here's the question: HOW DO YOU THINK THAT WOULD PLAY OUT WITH THE REST OF AMERICA??

I think we would see whites moving back to cities in bigger droves than now...there were be fake indignation and claims of reverse racism because jobs increases in the black community must mean less jobs for whites.. there would be silent and not so silent boycotts of Dangote products in protest of black success. Racial hatred would spike incredibly.

------------------------------------------------

The blow back from this alone would interesting. There is def an element in America that would try to undermine this process - legislatively. Call it racist , reverse racism(no such thing),etc.

Economic empowerment is threat when held by black Americans because of our tragic history. The fear from "the living in gated community 70 miles from crime crowd" would be to nullify all concessions. For fear of the tables turning. Further alienating the economically impoverished ,under educated folks in America. And that includes poor whites(what I call the forgotten abouts), Mexican & other.

There is a ton of white resentment towards Asians & Jews in California. But if it was black folks completely encompassing the San Gabriel Valley(Your Example: South Central,Compton) owning everything,homes ,businesses etc. You would see some elements of Oklahoma's Black Wall Street type terrorism rear up no doubt.

This topic is brain buster.

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered

Its not about where you live its how you work.

Don't down the area because its bad, go to work in it and build it up.

They tried to gentrify West oakland (and are still trying) by offering the people in those historic houses section 8 and moving them inland

i begged my family members to not do it and if they wanted to then let me buy the house... and the ones that did, i did.

soon as enough left, white people came in IMMEDIATELY
the property value (because it is literally right on the water ) increased by 100%

and the black people that used to own those places were now in antioch and stockton in the desert
away from everything

I live in east oakland. they say its bad some parts are but most parts arent
there are 3 white families who have moved on my block in the past year....

they say the location you can't beat it
don't let them fool you.

work with our own provide and build and demand respect and it'll end up alright.

i know on my street we don't allow drug dealers
its known if you try someone will call the police period
can't pinpoint who it will be because we're all unified
and we're not going anywhere
so on this street at least it doesn't happen.

now if others took a stand then who knows what could happen

I know of what you speak in West Oakland,Emeryville. Beautiful Victorian homes. It was thread about Brooklyn going through the same changes.

Same thing is happening right off Crenshaw north of the 10 fwy,from the east by USC. Silverlake/Echo Park pushing the Mexicans out. And Downtown LA completely . Its probably half white these days. Same Victorian style homes. The ghetto is being pushed out to Riverside,San Berdu, Upland,Pomona, etc.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

I know of what you speak in West Oakland,Emeryville. Beautiful Victorian homes. It was thread about Brooklyn going through the same changes.

Same thing is happening right off Crenshaw north of the 10 fwy,from the east by USC. Silverlake/Echo Park pushing the Mexicans out. And Downtown LA completely . Its probably half white these days. Same Victorian style homes. The ghetto is being pushed out to Riverside,San Berdu, Upland,Pomona, etc.

right its fools gold
we moved in and the areas we moved to are the ideal areas
we aren't the ideal people for them in their opinion

they wanted to get away from us and moved to less desirable but figured since it was them it was good property

it wasnt
now they want to bait and switch

three-fifths

searching for the remaining 143,999
Platinum Member

possible reality in the 1940's and 1950's.

nowadays? forget it.

unknownsoldier

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

right its fools gold
we moved in and the areas we moved to are the ideal areas
we aren't the ideal people for them in their opinion

they wanted to get away from us and moved to less desirable but figured since it was them it was good property

it wasnt
now they want to bait and switch

Same thing going on in Texas, specifically Dallas. They've convinced Blacks that the burbs they once occupied (Desoto/Cedar Hill/Duncanville) were the place to escape the inner city problems, well now that we're heavily populating those areas they're moving back to the inner city & pushing us further from the economic center of the center and those nice suburbs are new ghettos.

Last edited:

Blu Diablo

Promoter of Common Sense
BGOL Investor

this is why I specifically made the scenario about manufacturing and factory work...the great part about line work is those jobs don't require 3 kinds of degrees to do. A person can make something of a decent wage coming out of highschool and put their kids thru college for those higher skilled jobs of the future. Thats why its especially crippling to a community when those jobs disappear.

The reality is all those gadgets and doo-dads that are all the rave today...SOMEBODY HAS TO BUILD THAT SHIT...and i'm not talking about the programmer that creates the code and graphics i'm talking about the line worker who actually sits down pieces that shit together in the cases and containers..that process isn't totally automated nor will it ever completely be.

You don't need a BA or PHD to lay brick or fix pipes or operate a crane or weld shit. The thing is blacks have largely been kept out of those jobs since they've been jobs primarily thru discrimination and thats primarily for survival. Whites understood that they needed to dominate those jobs over everyone else for their own survival. Thats why in this scenario an African conglomerate, Dangote Group, is looking to expand its operations and decides to target those black areas for its manufacturing jobs.

You are right that the future is in higher skill work that requires more formal education than before but the reality is while blacks aren't prepared for it NEITHER ARE AVERAGE WHITES..the technological revolution caught everyone flatfooted.

This is exactly how the middle class was built for whites. They also purposefully cut public sector jobs because our middle class was built in large part because it was harder for discrimination to keep us out of the public sector workforce.

Starting with black manufacturing creates an excellent foundation and is exactly where we should start, all while pushing the youngsters to gain the education and skills needed to go after the tech sector jobs.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

This is exactly how the middle class was built for whites. They also purposefully cut public sector jobs because our middle class was built in large part because it was harder for discrimination to keep us out of the public sector workforce.

Starting with black manufacturing creates an excellent foundation and is exactly where we should start, all while pushing the youngsters to gain the education and skills needed to go after the tech sector jobs.

THIS is what i'm talking about...there has to be a basic foundation that the lay person can build a life on..lets face it not every one much less every black person is going to get tech savvy jobs or the education to qualify for that but a lay person can peg A into slot B which is what line work and mass produced product is all about.

my question is do you think blacks would be able to organise enough to defend and keep those jobs...to carve out our slice of the industry?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

“Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.”

- Frederick Douglass

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

You can build all the factories/places of employment you want in the hood and shit won't change. All kinds of programs are in place that move people from the hood to the suburbs. Better schools. Jobs. All that shit. In 10 years, sugar turns to shit.

Until we make the "hood" mentality less popular, shit won't change. People have to concentrate on the children. Education starts at home. It starts by parents making it a priority.

Blu Diablo

Promoter of Common Sense
BGOL Investor

THIS is what i'm talking about...there has to be a basic foundation that the lay person can build a life on..lets face it not every one much less every black person is going to get tech savvy jobs or the education to qualify for that but a lay person can peg A into slot B which is what line work and mass produced product is all about.

my question is do you think blacks would be able to organise enough to defend and keep those jobs...to carve out our slice of the industry?

It would be an uphill struggle but I think it could be done.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

You can build all the factories/places of employment you want in the hood and shit won't change. All kinds of programs are in place that move people from the hood to the suburbs. Better schools. Jobs. All that shit. In 10 years, sugar turns to shit.

Until we make the "hood" mentality less popular, shit won't change. People have to concentrate on the children. Education starts at home. It starts by parents making it a priority.

that's just total bullshit how could you even type that?

half of the crime started as a result of people not being able to get jobs and became desperate :smh:

the hood mentality is a result of hopelessness
you grow up
see bad
parents say you not nothing
there are very few who can persevere through that

at the same time
if you grow up in an environment where jobs are there and going to a 4 year university isn't the only option people tell you, you have..or play sports or make music shit changes.

if you see people..plenty of people going to trade schools that live in your neighborhood who make a good living that changes you
you're exposed to lots of shit.

how many of our youth know that you can go to community college and become a machinist and make 45k a year easily? how many machinist are in our neighborhoods?

how many know they can go be an electrician? electricians make GOOD MONEY

they simply don't see and don't even know that those are real options.

if we brought those options back they would gravitate towards the things they liked.

those programs have so many damn conditions and so many stipulations most of them not even necessary and they are selective and not open to everyone and you know it.

if the factories came back
if the people in the neighborhood in their 20's and older were making 40g's a year and living good without crime
if you saw that growing up you don't think you'd gravitate towards that?

being free, not in fear of your life and making legal money?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Lack of jobs is what created the hood mentality in the first place homie..

youre not seeing that its all connected..one affects the other..

steady work brings stability to the home. That brings confidence to the parents because they are able to adequately support their kids..the kids have peace of mind so theyre able to do better in school. A community with good employment rates has more resources to pour into things like education so the kids have better schools to attend. Everyone feels good about their present so they have a better outlook on the future. And they in turn perpetuate and create new jobs for the community.

The way youre looking at it is like saying you have to lose weight first before you can join the gym.:confused::smh:

You brings jobs to the black community and that hood mentality will melt away.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

steady work brings stability to the home. That brings confidence to the parents because they are able to adequately support their kids..the kids have peace of mind so theyre able to do better in school. A community with good employment rates has more resources to pour into things like education so the kids have better schools to attend. Everyone feels good about their present so they have a better outlook on the future. And they in turn perpetuate and create new jobs for the community.

The way youre looking at it is like saying you have to lose weight first before you can join the gym.:confused::smh:

but who will bring the jobs?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

but who will bring the jobs?
read the first post...

thats the scenario we're looking at..

The reality is the black community is pretty well blocked in. IF a company wanted to set up factories in the inner cities unions (overwhelmingly white) and politicians would demand that those jobs got to them. IF that company wanted to bypass unions and go straight to the people that lived their there would be all kinds of delays and blockades to stop them.

The best case solution would be that the union token hire some blacks from the area but the majority of those jobs would still go to whites.

Blu Diablo

Promoter of Common Sense
BGOL Investor

read the first post...

The reality is the black community is pretty well blocked in. IF a company wanted to set up factories in the inner cities unions (overwhelmingly white) and politicians would demand that those jobs got to them. IF that company wanted to bypass unions and go straight to the people that lived their there would be all kinds of delays and blockades to stop them.

The best case solution would be that the union token hire some blacks from the area but the majority of those jobs would still go to whites.

In this instance you don't bypass the unions, you work with the unions to increase their membership in that community.

I understand the point that you're making but I'm just personally more of an advocate of a unionized workforce.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

read the first post...

I wonder if an African nation wanted to invest 100 mill in the black community would the u.s let the deal go down. BTW remember this....

what happen......... :confused:
Gadhafi's son praises Libya-U.S. relations

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-11-21/...-arab-airlines-saif-al-islam-gadhafi?_s=PM:US

U.S. oil firms want Libya exempted from terrorism compensation law

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/world/africa/22iht-libya.1.12217056.html

Gadhafi and Libya Investing 100 Billion in America

http://righttruth.typepad.com/right_truth/2008/11/gadhafi-and-libya-investing-in-america.html

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

Lack of jobs didn't create the hood mentality. Poor leadership and lack of accountability did. Poverty was higher back then and there still wasn't a hood mentality. Think about it. We weren't even allowed access to social programs in the 1940s and 1950s. People were poor as fucking shit with no social programs. If your theory about income is true, shit would have been 20 times worse than Chicago or Detroit is now back then. It wasn't it.

That's why Uncle Sam stays winning. The racist government busts up the projects and send folks to where economic opportunity is. They send them to the good schools. Why? Because they know the hood mentality will spread like cancer. They know it isn't about economics.

The government is aware that black people have moved away from the craziness and are establishing nice lives. The government can't have that. Solution? Send the mentality to them so it can infect their children. It starts with the children.

Solutions to your economic theory have been tried time and time again. That's how suburbs become hoods. In order for anything to succeed, we must bring the "hood mentality" back down to pre-1970 levels. :yes: We must use leadership and accountability. We have more resources and opportunities than our grandparents could dream of. There is no excuse for this fuckery.

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor

Can't spend too much time on bgol today but read thru the responses.

1. Poverty didn't create the "hood mentality"
2. Lack of jobs didn't create the "hood mentality"

In fact those 2 things increased solidarity in the 60's and 70's

So why are things different now?

Our image in the eyes of black youth.

In the 60's and 70's, because of segregation, blacks controlled the image and messaging given to our youth.

We had black radio, black newspapers, church and other social institutions that served to create and maintain solidarity with a clarity of message.

Now, some of our youth cannot be influenced by black adults.

There is no consistent messaging and no control of the black image by blacks.

Kids gain expectations based on the messages they get from their environment and black adults have dropped the ball.

The only difference between those who make it out the hood and those who don't is expectation.

And those expectations come from identity formation (who they are, their place in the world and expectations of their contribution to the world) which come from messaging.

We have moved into the information age and we have an opportunity to reach much more and make a difference again.

Bless.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

half of the crime started as a result of people not being able to get jobs and became desperate :smh:

you grow up
see bad

at the same time
if you grow up in an environment where jobs are there and going to a 4 year university isn't the only option people tell you, you have..or play sports or make music shit changes.

if you see people..plenty of people going to trade schools that live in your neighborhood who make a good living that changes you

how many of our youth know that you can go to community college and become a machinist and make 45k a year easily? how many machinist are in our neighborhoods?

if we brought those options back they would gravitate towards the things they liked.

those programs have so many damn conditions and so many stipulations most of them not even necessary and they are selective and not open to everyone and you know it.

if the people in the neighborhood in their 20's and older were making 40g's a year and living good without crime

Poverty was worse in the 1940s and 1950s. People today don't even know what bad is. The hood mentality isn't about poverty or jobs. Cats aren't robbing to eat. They rob for non-essential like Jordans and rims. People who have good jobs may not even buy Jordans or rims. Cats are robbing to trick off at clubs. They aren't robbing because they can't work at the Ford factory. The Ford factory won't allow them to trick off like Lil Wayne. It's fucking ignorance.

WTF? Before all this "hood mentality" bullshit, people were exposed to families and hard work. WTF happened? Even though people were poor, they didn't tear shit up like modern day Chicago or Detroit. People didn't even have indoor plumbing and weren't acting like fools today. Let's cut the shit.

If we collectively had the mentality of our folks from the 1940s and 1950s, the "hoods" wouldn't even have nearly as many problems. They would be like poor white areas. It wouldn't be an ideal life, but it's nothing to tear your own neighborhood up over.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

OP, love this idea and have had it in my head at least for the past half decade.

I wish that Africa had MNC that could come directly into the 25 worst zip codes zoned for commercial/industrial or mixed use and, just off the record, hire blacks exclusively.

You hit the nail on the head about certain ethnic groups controlling certain skills and trades. We should be no different. Blacks are the social lead blockers for change while all the other groups that benefit run to the endzone for the touchdown.

This makes total sense.

you grow up
see bad

at the same time

This shit is on point, too. Talked with a couple of close home boys about this very thing: glorifying money positions where a suit and tie are not involved, and there are plenty because they look too much like work.

We need to keep this thread alive. I got homeboys I grew up with in the suburbs and the country who are helping build infrastructure in Accra RIGHT NOW! Man, we pretty much came from nothing and these cats are taking planes over the water to connect that bread.

LET'S GET IT!

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Can't spend too much time on bgol today but read thru the responses.

1. Poverty didn't create the "hood mentality"
2. Lack of jobs didn't create the "hood mentality"

In fact those 2 things increased solidarity in the 60's and 70's

So why are things different now?

Our image in the eyes of black youth.

In the 60's and 70's, because of segregation, blacks controlled the image and messaging given to our youth.

We had black radio, black newspapers, church and other social institutions that served to create and maintain solidarity with a clarity of message.

Now, some of our youth cannot be influenced by black adults.

There is no consistent messaging and no control of the black image by blacks.

Kids gain expectations based on the messages they get from their environment and black adults have dropped the ball.

The only difference between those who make it out the hood and those who don't is expectation.

And those expectations come from identity formation (who they are, their place in the world and expectations of their contribution to the world) which come from messaging.

We have moved into the information age and we have an opportunity to reach much more and make a difference again.

Bless.

Poverty was worse in the 1940s and 1950s. People today don't even know what bad is. The hood mentality isn't about poverty or jobs. Cats aren't robbing to eat. They rob for non-essential like Jordans and rims. People who have good jobs may not even buy Jordans or rims. Cats are robbing to trick off at clubs. They aren't robbing because they can't work at the Ford factory. The Ford factory won't allow them to trick off like Lil Wayne. It's fucking ignorance.

WTF? Before all this "hood mentality" bullshit, people were exposed to families and hard work. WTF happened? Even though people were poor, they didn't tear shit up like modern day Chicago or Detroit. People didn't even have indoor plumbing and weren't acting like fools today. Let's cut the shit.

If we collectively had the mentality of our folks from the 1940s and 1950s, the "hoods" wouldn't even have nearly as many problems. They would be like poor white areas. It wouldn't be an ideal life, but it's nothing to tear your own neighborhood up over.

the explanation you guys are looking for in the hood mentality is that its the unintended (at least for blacks)result of integration. Segregation while forcing blacks to have 2nd class citizenship at least drew the lines clear enough to know how to deal with it. Integration gave the false impression of acceptance when all it really did was make discrimination more covert so while the signs came down the practices of exclusion still remained.

The want to integrate with white society meant turning our backs on ourselves. The expansion of the rules of welfare to offset unemployment forced the man out of the house. And with no base to turn to the next generations adopted a "i'm a get mine" attitude.