How to tell if you’re getting a blood clot while flying

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
How to tell if you’re getting a blood clot while flying

Jordi Lippe-McGraw
5h ago
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

Aside from delays and annoying passenger antics, most flights go off without a hitch. But, on occasion, you might find yourself on a flight where a fellow traveler has a medical emergency. That’s what happened on a 2016 American Airlines flight from Honolulu (HNL) when Brittany Oswell suffered a pulmonary embolism, more commonly called a blood clot.

Sadly, she died from the incident. And incredibly, she’s not alone.

According to the National Blood Clot Alliance, an average of 274 people die from blood clots every day and 600,000 nonfatal blood clots occur every year. Air travel can increase this risk as you’re sitting for long periods with little room to move your legs. This can cause a particular type of blood clot called deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

Sitting in the same position for a long period of time, like on an airplane, can be detrimental to your health. (Photo by Tang Ming Tung / Getty Images)
Sitting in the same position for a long time, like on an airplane, can be detrimental to your health. (Photo by Tang Ming Tung / Getty Images)
“DVT’s are more likely to form when there is venous stasis, which means that the blood is pooling in the veins,” Dr. Mehmet Oz (of “The Dr. Oz Show”) told The Points Guy. “This is more likely to happen in people who are sedentary for long periods, like on a long plane ride, because part of the way the blood in the leg veins gets back up to the heart is when muscles contract.”

In 2018, Dr. Rajiv Narula, MD — founder of the International Travel Health Consultants — told TPG that “on flights more than eight hours, [there’s an] increased risk of DVT.” And certain studies say this condition can occur on flights as short as four hours.

While the condition can resolve itself, in some cases people experience a pulmonary embolism: when the clot travels to the lungs and blocks blood flow there. The blocked blood flow in the lung prevents the body from getting oxygen.

So, how can you tell if you have a blood clot on a plane? We chatted with a couple of experts to learn the symptoms, find out who is most susceptible and what to do if you develop one during a flight.

Related: It’s flu season — Here’s how to avoid getting sick on a plane

Know if you’re at risk

According to Dr. Narula, travelers with certain “underlying medical issues” are typically more prone to DVT.

Several factors can make a person more susceptible to developing a blood clot. “Things that put you at risk for blood clots include certain genetic clotting disorders, being immobilized because of surgery or injury, chronic diseases like heart failure and cancer, smoking and older age,” said Dr. Oz.

Different thing can cause blood clots in different people. (Photo by Scottshotz / Getty Images)
Different thing can cause blood clots depending on your demographic. (Photo by Scottshotz / Getty Images)
Dr. Nathan Favini, medical lead at Forward, a new technology-based healthcare startup, added that oral birth control pills and pregnancy also make a blood clot more likely. “Estrogen is thought to be the cause,” he said. “So, forms of birth control that don’t contain estrogen, like IUDs, are safer in this regard.”

If you fall into one of these categories, you should take extra precautions to help prevent blood clots and be aware if you start to develop any symptoms.

Related: What happens if you get sick during a flight?

Symptoms of a blood clot

Knowing you have a blood clot can be tricky, as you can often write off the symptoms as something else, but there are a few key warning signs to pay attention to when traveling. If you experience these symptoms, you should seek medical help immediately.

“If you develop pain, tenderness, swelling, warmth and/or redness in your legs during a flight, those may be signs of a deep vein thrombosis or blood clot,” said Favini. “If you have more than one or many of those symptoms, it becomes more likely that you’re experiencing a clot.”

When former TPG social media director, Lindsey Campbell, developed a blood clot during a six-hour flight home from Iceland, she woke up with sore and aching calves, and felt dizzy, hot and light-headed.

(Photo by Jasmin Merdan / Getty Images)
Pay attention to the sensations in your legs during a flight to be safe. (Photo by Jasmin Merdan / Getty Images)
The other thing to look out for, according to Favini, is the rapid onset of shortness of breath. This can be a sign that a clot has formed in, or traveled to, your lungs. “If you’re experiencing these symptoms, especially shortness of breath, let the staff on your airplane know right away,” said Favini.

Related: I got food poisoning before my long-haul flight

How to prevent a blood clot

So, now you know what to look for if you’re developing a blood clot. But, there are certain critical steps you can take to avoid one in the first place.

“Drink lots of fluids, but not with caffeine, which makes you pee more so [there’s] less fluid in your blood … And avoid alcohol,” said Dr. Oz. “Then, move around every two hours and move [your] feet like stepping on a gas pedal more frequently.”

When TPG spoke to Daniel Giordano, co-founder of Bespoke Treatments Physical Therapy in New York City, about movements and stretches travelers can easily perform on an airplane to promote blood circulation, Giordano said he recommends his clients travel with a device such as a Firefly knee strap. This can gently stimulate the peroneal nerve to promote circulation while performing simple exercises like, as Dr. Oz suggested, pumping your legs.

And for Dr. Narula, the key is anti-embolism socks. These knee-high stockings are specifically designed to put graduated pressure on your legs, which can improve circulation.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
All those fat pasty honkies that fly 20 hours to Thailand to rape kids and pay for whores seem to do fine

gw1933

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Its a good idea to stand up and go to the bathroom every 1.5 to 2 hours....for the sake of recirculating your legs and feet.

I heard a story about an American tourist that went on a bus ride from Rio De Janeiro to Bahia and never took the advice.

When the bus reached Bahia, the dude got up and dropped dead......20-30 hour ride if Im not mistaken.

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Its a good idea to stand up and go to the bathroom every 1.5 to 2 hours....for the sake of recirculating your legs and feet.

I heard a story about an American tourist that went on a bus ride from Rio De Janeiro to Bahia and never took the advice.

When the bus reached Bahia, the dude got up and dropped dead......20-30 hour ride if Im not mistaken.

Good suggestion. Been taking more flights in the past number of years, and have seen more people moving around on flights. Walking the aisles ... standing in their row (especially near the front of the plane if there's a washroom line-up up there), or standing in the aisle and talking to family members if they are in different rows.

Also, when I'm seated I try to do calf raises and ankle rotations. For additional help with lower leg circulation & also to stay more alert.

NoBarber38

Potential Star
OG Investor
The best thing to do is for you to get a deep tissue massage before any flight more than 2hrs. You can also exercise or get a pedicure.

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I got a blood-clot from a broken tibia.. I kept telling my dr, my leg hurt and the way it felt better was from me squeezing my thigh and it hurt like.. Well i got released out the hospital and my leg hurt. I called my dr and told it was killing me and he did nothing.. I called him 5hrs later and his assistant call me back and told me I was just trying to get pain pills and told not to call back ever. That was friday and it got worst.. my wife had to go to the store and when she got back it felt like someone was sticking 5 knives in my right lung.. They put me in the car and took me to the hospital. Once we got to ER, rushed to get xrayys. Once he got the results came running in the room 2 shots, he said I had a blood clot in my lung and I should be dead. He gave one shot and after he pulled out the needle and said in 10 seconds you,, I started coughing up lumps of blood and I was out for 10days..
t
Come to find out blood clotin was in my genes!! Who we never found out who.. So they kept me morph up 24hrs day for 10 days and ran test on me.. They had me on coumadin I had to change my diet and everything and no booze.The bad part I was at my dr office every week to get test and changed the amount of meds I took every week.. The best thing I take xarelto, 1 pill a day, diet still in check, no booze and get checked out when have my yearly check up..

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I got a blood-clot from a broken tibia.. I kept telling my dr, my leg hurt and the way it felt better was from me squeezing my thigh and it hurt like.. Well i got released out the hospital and my leg hurt. I called my dr and told it was killing me and he did nothing.. I called him 5hrs later and his assistant call me back and told me I was just trying to get pain pills and told not to call back ever. That was friday and it got worst.. my wife had to go to the store and when she got back it felt like someone was sticking 5 knives in my right lung.. They put me in the car and took me to the hospital. Once we got to ER, rushed to get xrayys. Once he got the results came running in the room 2 shots, he said I had a blood clot in my lung and I should be dead. He gave one shot and after he pulled out the needle and said in 10 seconds you,, I started coughing up lumps of blood and I was out for 10days..
t
Come to find out blood clotin was in my genes!! Who we never found out who.. So they kept me morph up 24hrs day for 10 days and ran test on me.. They had me on coumadin I had to change my diet and everything and no booze.The bad part I was at my dr office every week to get test and changed the amount of meds I took every week.. The best thing I take xarelto, 1 pill a day, diet still in check, no booze and get checked out when have my yearly check up..

Props to you and your wife on being proactive on getting medical attention.

Too many people wait until it's too late, or think that things will get better.

My grandpa had Coumadin in his med' regime too. Thanks for the info about Xarelto too.

Good to be able to find out the clots were genetic / hereditary, and to be getting things checked out annually moving forward.

* Shame on the ASSISTANT for being negligent and dismissive, for real.

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Props to you and your wife on being proactive on getting medical attention.

Too many people wait until it's too late, or think that things will get better.

My grandpa had Coumadin in his med' regime too. Thanks for the info about Xarelto too.

Good to be able to find out the clots were genetic / hereditary, and to be getting things checked out annually moving forward.

* Shame on the ASSISTANT for being negligent and dismissive, for real.

Bruh, Xarelto was a game changer for me.. I opened up my diet and not 2 or 3 dr visit because my numbers were off from eating something green or some donunts..

Anyway, I hope Xarelto gives your grandpa sum advantages and opens his diet!! And yes, get check yearly.. My youngest son turn 32 today and I gotta start telling him about these health issues we gotta start keeping an eye open for..

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Bruh, Xarelto was a game changer for me.. I opened up my diet and not 2 or 3 dr visit because my numbers were off from eating something green or some donunts..

Anyway, I hope Xarelto gives your grandpa sum advantages and opens his diet!! And yes, get check yearly.. My youngest son turn 32 today and I gotta start telling him about these health issues we gotta start keeping an eye open for..

Thanks. Right on re: informing your son too.

No worries re: grandpa. He passed in
2006 at 83yo. He had a number of health issues in the final few years. Colon cancer, dementia, dysentery, accidental med overdose on his part, mild stroke, fall and broken hip, etc. He’s in Heaven and grandma joined him in early 2008.

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks. Right on re: informing your son too.

No worries re: grandpa. He passed in
2006 at 83yo. He had a number of health issues in the final few years. Colon cancer, dementia, dysentery, accidental med overdose on his part, mild stroke, fall and broken hip, etc. He’s in Heaven and grandma joined him in early 2008.

If I hear anything new in the blood-clot med-world, Ill drop you a line or two!!

Bruh, I understand what ur talking about when u say grandparents!!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
If I hear anything new in the blood-clot med-world, Ill drop you a line or two!!

Bruh, I understand what ur talking about when u say grandparents!!

Thanks re: same.

Yeah - miss the dear grandparents (dad’s). Never met mom’s parents as they passed before I was born. Dad’s parents ... hearts of gold.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Shortened version below.

Knowing you have a blood clot can be tricky, as you can often write off the symptoms as something else, but there are a few key warning signs to pay attention to when traveling. If you experience these symptoms, you should seek medical help immediately.

“If you develop pain, tenderness, swelling, warmth and/or redness in your legs during a flight, those may be signs of a deep vein thrombosis or blood clot,” said Favini. “If you have more than one or many of those symptoms, it becomes more likely that you’re experiencing a clot.”

So, now you know what to look for if you’re developing a blood clot. But, there are certain critical steps you can take to avoid one in the first place.

“Drink lots of fluids, but not with caffeine, which makes you pee more so [there’s] less fluid in your blood … And avoid alcohol,” said Dr. Oz. “Then, move around every two hours and move [your] feet like stepping on a gas pedal more frequently.”

When TPG spoke to Daniel Giordano, co-founder of Bespoke Treatments Physical Therapy in New York City, about movements and stretches travelers can easily perform on an airplane to promote blood circulation, Giordano said he recommends his clients travel with a device such as a Firefly knee strap. This can gently stimulate the peroneal nerve to promote circulation while performing simple exercises like, as Dr. Oz suggested, pumping your legs.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Right on, write on, brotha!! Brotha's when you start your 30-35age physical, they do blood test and have your dr check if blood clot-in in your genes!! I found out after the clot in my right lung!!

After reading this thread and replies this is what I need to do. Last few flights I took I noticed a tingle in my feet while flying to Arizona. Now got me thinking it’s blood clots forming. Glad your still here and doing better bro

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
After reading this thread and replies this is what I need to do. Last few flights I took I noticed a tingle in my feet while flying to Arizona. Now got me thinking it’s blood clots forming. Glad your still here and doing better bro

Thanks bruh!! Like I said, when you go in for your yearly check-up,, make sure you talk to ur dr about testing ur blood for clot-in gene.. Because they dont bring it up, unless you do!! Once I got a clot, I heard everythang about bloodclots!!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Agreed. Another helpful trick ... if you are on a flight with enough leg room ... you can do some light leg exercises while seated. Such as calf raises, ankle rotations, or lifting the soles of the feet off the ground (heels planted) and trying to point your toes back towards you. Little moves like that which can help with the blood flow a bit. Or light massages to your calves or quads.

Others like to walk around on a flight when it's not busy, or go to the back to do some light stretching. Have some older relatives that do that, and noticed a number of people doing that coming back from Zihuatanejo, MX a few years ago.

I found the seated exercises helped to and from Havana, Cuba when I went there in spring 2014. Some flights can really be a hassle for us taller guys though, for real.