How to Beat a Photo-Enforced Speeding Ticket (or Red Light Ticket)

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
photo-enforced-speeding-ticket-nate-cox-virginia-copblock.png

Last year I received a letter in the mail from the Washington D.C DMV claiming I was speeding. As you can see it was one of those Photo-Enforced Speeding Tickets and they had multiple pictures of my CAR. I knew better to just submit and pay a fine like the majority of people do in this country, unfortunately. I am in the habit of not taking “plea deals”, and I am always in the habit of fighting my tickets and NOT pre-paying them so I don’t have to go to court – like many folks do. I just about always record my interactions with the police, whether it’s a traffic stop or not, that way it keeps the entire situation objective, transparent and I can hold the public servant accountable if he/ she violates my rights

IMG_0002-1024x884.jpg

IMG_0003-1024x885.jpg

I can’t recall why I got the next letter, but I think it was because I didn’t respond promptly enough.

IMG_00011-786x1024.jpg

As you can see these criminals issuing these tickets are hoping that the people will just get scared and pay, or not want to waste their time with it. However the government has to provide evidence that it was actually ME driving, it’s their burden of proof. Just because they got pictures of my car doesn’t mean I was driving. So, in response to the first letter, I mailed them back the following letter (copied and pasted):

To Whom it May Concern,

I received a letter claiming I committed a violation of a speeding law in the District of Columbia on 04/21/2012. As per the instructions, I am writing to plead ‘not guilty’ to this charge. Although this option is said to result in this matter going to court; it is my suggestion that the charges simply be dropped. This suggestion comes out of respect for tax payers, and my request that their hard earned money not be wasted in such proceedings. As there is no evidence of my involvement with this alleged ‘crime’, as well as the fact that I am not granted my 6th amendment right to face my ‘accuser’ (a camera); I see no way the government could prove my guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I also see find no legal requirement for me to implicate someone else in this process, as it is the government’s responsibility to prove a person’s guilt. It is also my 5th amendment right to remain silent on the matter.

If it is the government’s decision to move forward in this matter, I would request copies of any evidence the prosecution may have of my involvement in the “offense”; as well as, all maintenance records for the camera(s) involved.

Sincerely,

Nathan Cox
United States Army Veteran

HUGE thanks to super activist Meg McLain. I was slammed with work and was about to miss the deadline to mail the rebuttal letter in. She was my roommate at the time, I told her about how I needed it to read and she came up with a fantastic piece. I HIGHLY recommend Meg for any of your Graphic Design or Video Animation needs – She’s stellar!

After sending that letter I received this post card:

IMG_0004-1024x689.jpg

MANY months later (much more than six months), just the other day I get this post card showing that the ticket is DISMISSED.

IMAG2481-1024x577.jpg

So PLEASE, NEVER EVER opt to pay these Photo Enforced Speeding AND Red Light tickets! You do NOT have to incriminate yourself OR implicate anyone else. It’s the government’s responsibility to provide evidence that YOU were the person driving, don’t help them in their “investigation”. ALWAYS go to court and fight your tickets, if there is NO VICTIM.. there is NO CRIME!

http://www.copblock.org/33390/how-t...eding-ticket-or-red-light-ticket/#prettyPhoto

Bad Andy

No time for a 304
Registered
Good info Thanks! I beat a ticket doing 98mph on the Belt Parkway by adjourning & missing my court dates for 18 months. When all was done, all I had to pay was the fine no suspension or report to my insurance.

Djmarkxr7

OG BGOL'er
Registered
That police department must've been new to this @ the time, I need more proof, they already know that they can't prove that it's you behind the wheel, that is why photo tickets are just fines & assign ZERO points to the registered owner of the vehicle, HOWEVER, since it is YOUR vehicle YOU are responsible for WHOEVER was driving the vehicle @ the time, whether it was you, your child, a friend, or Grandma...

YOUR VEHICLE...

YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!

The only way I know to fight these is to go @ the calibration date of the camera/radar itself, ANY type of measuring device BY LAW has to be calibrated within a certain period of time (every 3 months, 6 months, etc.), calibration paperwork has to be provided upon request!

:cool:

Last edited:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was under the impression that the ticket went to the registered owner no matter who was driving. Props for getting out of the ticket.

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
....sigh.....the standard of proof for a traffic cam tickets is NOT reasonable doubt since legislation authorizing traffic cams specifically says that no points will be accrued and it is, at best, a civil penalty, which make the standard more likely than not.

Furthermore, red light ticket legislation govern the rules of evidence, which are almost non existent. This cracka just got lucky, walk into 301 C street with that bullshit and see how fast your feelings get hurt.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Thanks. I know I will need this in the future. I haven't been caught by any red light cams yet but if I do this is much needed advice thanks. My sister had received several cam tickets and payed them off immediately, will definitely pass this on. Big thanks ballscout. :cool:

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
The only reason you probably got out of this ticket was you put you were a veteran and they gave you a pass.

An officer reviews each ticket and just robo-sign off on all these tix. When you made your appeal they probably had sympathy on you or some CAC saw you had Ron Raul stickers on the car and let it go. Whatever.

Point is, these mofo's ain't dumb, they don't ticket the driver, they fine the car. Just like a parking ticket, same shit.

You can't get out a ticket on your car cause your girlfriend parked at a hydrant that day.

Yes you can fight these sort of tix but it ain't as clean cut as what happened to you. Count your blessings.

EDIT: Thought this was the OP, but I see the article link, so direct my comments to him and if you read the comments there, many didnt get out of their tix following this advice...

Last edited: