HBO series:His Dark Materials Discussion Thread

lengthy

Rising Star
OG Investor
Looks interesting. Golden Compass was solid. Didnt the catholic church or religious zealots block the sequels? :curse:

Mr. Lengthy

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Can't wait..... I'm tripping more people aren't in this..

@ansatsusha_gouki Change the title to HBO Series: His Dark Material Discussion thread.

I think most of the fam... probably don't know what this is.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Looks interesting. Golden Compass was solid. Didnt the catholic church or religious zealots block the sequels? :curse:

Mr. Lengthy
Yeah, I believe so. And they had help from their brothers in arms"The faux News Channel". Pushing the narrative of liberal Hollywood is evil.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Never heard of this, thanks. I see where the chick from The Affair ran off to, cool.
But is this really about child pedo's type chit? I gotta see Golden Compass to get up to speed, don't think I've ever seen it.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Never heard of this, thanks. I see where the chick from The Affair ran off to, cool.
But is this really about child pedo's type chit? I gotta see Golden Compass to get up to speed, don't think I've ever seen it.
Have you seen the Golden Compass?

Watcher

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I haven’t read the books or seen golden compass movie.

I watched the first episode and it was good. I really like the cast so I will watch the entire season.

BMhp4k5u_400x400.jpg

No brainer. The wire and Treme actor
happy-ruth-wilson-wallpaper-59194-60979-hd-wallpapers.jpg

Ruth Wilson The affair
ipanews_f0699081-88d1-4d81-8229-179235c9a6ff_1

James McAvory Wanted & Glass
main_1567030678-Dafne-Keen-Signed-Logan-11x14-Photo-PSA-COA-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Dafne Keen Logan

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I haven’t read the books or seen golden compass movie.

I watched the first episode and it was good. I really like the cast so I will watch the entire season.

BMhp4k5u_400x400.jpg

No brainer. The wire and Treme actor
happy-ruth-wilson-wallpaper-59194-60979-hd-wallpapers.jpg

Ruth Wilson The affair
ipanews_f0699081-88d1-4d81-8229-179235c9a6ff_1

James McAvory Wanted & Glass
main_1567030678-Dafne-Keen-Signed-Logan-11x14-Photo-PSA-COA-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Dafne Keen Logan
Oh...I thought the kid looked familiar. I couldn't remember where I'd seen her before.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Were three episodes in and it's good. So far, it has been The Golden Compass movie that is fleshed out. It goes into a lot more character building than the movie had time to do. It stays true to the movie but it builds further on the premise.
Also, the cast is reflective of the UK as it is now, not as the books or movies being pretty much an all cast.

In the movie, they only showed images of the other worlds as "dust" but in this series, characters physically cross from one plane to another through gates or portals. (see Ep. 2 trailer)

The acting is outstanding and the music is great. This is an excellent production thus far. :popcorn:

The Golden Compass - Trailer

His Dark Material 1x01 - Opening Scene (2019)

Ep 2

Ep 3

His Dark Materials - S01E01 - Lara's Jordan [03-11-2019]

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
No, I watched the first 2 episode and it's not really catching on with me.
The first few or several episodes are pretty much reacquainting the viewer of the movie, 'The Golden Compass' with the TV cast. After that, it goes deeper into details that a feature-length film would leave on the cutting room floor due to time constraints.

If you're a fan of the genre, you might have a bit more patience as the story unfolds, but if you're a casual fan or viewer, you may very well lose interest.

rude_dog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The first few or several episodes are pretty much reacquainting the viewer of the movie, 'The Golden Compass' with the TV cast. After that, it goes deeper into details that a feature-length film would leave on the cutting room floor due to time constraints.

If you're a fan of the genre, you might have a bit more patience as the story unfolds, but if you're a casual fan or viewer, you may very well lose interest.
I never saw the movie or read the books. I know there's several books so it's a big world that they have to introduce. I'll give it one or two more episodes to see if it catches me. I'm really give it the benefit of the doubt that James McAvoy wouldn't sign up for lame duck.