HBO: Insecure -- Season 5 Official Discussion Thread (Final Season)

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I went in expecting it to be some ole black feminist propaganda bullshit, but it was pretty damn good. Probably will make my single female friends depressed, but all and all, I'll keep watchin.

Loving the amount of black choices on tv/streaming right now. Still not enough, but it's a start.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Somebody please GIF the guy's reaction when Issa's girl realizes (outloud) the broke pussy song is about her. I was dying at his face. Dude was like "That's my queue, exit stage left"

Also, side note, Between this show and the latest episode of Atlanta were getting a look the complex relationships between Black woman I've not really seen on TV before (I never watched Girlfriends, so maybe they dealt with that). Do the (few) sistas on the board feel like it's accurately depicted?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Funny....very funny

The 2 drake jokes were hilarious

ITS not polished like Atlanta but I think that is what gives it charm...I like these different perspectives and stories that are all still distinctively black.

All we need is a black sci-fi show, action series, political/legal drama.

Last edited:

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wouldve never thought about watchin this as a single dude, but I found the first episode to be very entertaining, funny and not pretentious...

it reminds of of chicks never being satisfied though, its like if they get dude that is always at home always there when they need them for emotional support,

they want someone more ambitious, so they meet a brother, who is ambtious and

tries his best to be there when is not being ambitious, then they want someone who is there more for them...

its like a slippery slope of never being satisfied..

but I digress..

I will be checking for these episodes, the lead actress nails her character, she

is spot on..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Oh and the both fine as hell...

The main woman's smile melts my soul. I love that all natural look.

And her friend is sexy sexy sexy and may be the breakout star

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh and the both fine as hell...

The main woman's smile melts my soul. I love that all natural look.

And her friend is sexy sexy sexy and may be the breakout star

Yeah, I don't know if Issa just upgraded her hair and makeup with HBO money, but she looks quite a bit better than in the Youtube days. I thought for a minute she got a breast enhancement as well, but Woman got all kinda tricks with the pushup bra's these days. She definitely gets a few extra points when she smiles.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah, I don't know if Issa just upgraded her hair and makeup with HBO money, but she looks quite a bit better than in the Youtube days. I thought for a minute she got a breast enhancement as well, but Woman got all kinda tricks with the pushup bra's these days. She definitely gets a few extra points when she smiles.

That is a superstar smile...and she is one hell of a writer.

storm_shadoh

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Interesting show!!!
I liked every minute of it. Like someone said such a breath of fresh air seeing black people like you on T.V..
I think the main actress is so sexy. Can't wait to see a full season of it.

WestIndianArchie

Rising Star
Registered
Genius.

I been knew about her genius on Youtube and BlackAndSexyTV ain't no punk either. Got damn EXCELLENCE in programming. I heard they headed to HBO next. Issa Rae brother EnimaL got bars too.

Problematic

Rising Star
Registered
hol' up

didn't know she was holdin' it like that...looks like issa been putting in work on her body/health after the show was in the can

:cool:

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Funny....very funny

The 2 drake jokes were hilarious

ITS not polished like Atlanta but I think that is what gives it charm...I like these different perspectives and stories that are all still distinctively black.

All we need is a black sci-fi show, action series, political/legal drama.

I disagree. I think it's very polished it's just strictly from a female's point of view. Atlanta is all encompassing this is the black woman's point of view and triumph and struggle whereas Atlanta is about the entire culture.

Now we need a man's show from a black man's point of view and the cipher is complete.

Call that shit "On God"

crackheadlou

Rising Star
Registered
Gonna give this a look, it looks good from the trailer. Not to plug but "Atlanta" that Danny Glover joint is good too, the dude that looks like and to some degree acts like (but it not) Dave Chappelle has spin-off written all over him. Props to the poster.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I disagree. I think it's very polished it's just strictly from a female's point of view. Atlanta is all encompassing this is the black woman's point of view and triumph and struggle whereas Atlanta is about the entire culture.

Now we need a man's show from a black man's point of view and the cipher is complete.

Call that shit "On God"

Don't misunderstand

When i say not polished that isn't a dig

It not as professional looking, it's a little more raw the colors the acting the l.a. locale ...

But that doesn't mean anything negative,

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered

Call that shit "On God"

Agreed. I'd call the show 'Loss of Downs'. The title is a play on the football term; sometimes you're being handed the ball other times the ball is being taken away from you, either way a turnover has occurred and you are now placed into an offensive or defensive position depending on perspective.

It's a concept every black man can relate to- from the corporate superman- to the cat on the bricks.

Or call the show 'Riding the Curve': as in the bell curve and how a cat in makes his way between both extreme archetypes - Coprorate Supernigga and Street Supernigga and how the gravity of both opposites effects his life and relationships.

Pretty much, a show describing what it's like to be a black man whose not on T.V. scoring points, being arrrested, singing his ass off, running for office, kissing women's asses , or being propped up as one of the 'The Good One's ' that others should be like. ***EDIT*** Change 'Riding the Curve' to 'Grading on a Curve'...for the 'no homo'/pause brigade.

*two cents*

Last edited:

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Song at the end of episode 2

:ipod:

Yeah man the music selections are dope..hearing"heartbreaks and setbacks" had me hype i forgot about that joint

Glad to see BGOL digging this show..wife and i been supporting issa since "awkward black girl" days..i even copped her book. Man im so happy that she's winning right now..got a show on HBO, gonna continue to support it and wish her all the success in the world.

This years feeling like the mid 90's when there was a good amount of quality black programs available. There was such a dearth of quality programs but now theres an influx of muliple shows that really speak to us..with black talent both in front of and behind the camera.

Atlanta
Black-ish
The get down
Insecure
Queen sugar
Luke cage

Loving it...i dont really fuck with TV, but we definitely will support these shows