HBO: Insecure -- Season 5 Official Discussion Thread (Final Season)

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah man the music selections are dope..hearing"heartbreaks and setbacks" had me hype i forgot about that joint

Glad to see BGOL digging this show..wife and i been supporting issa since "awkward black girl" days..i even copped her book. Man im so happy that she's winning right now..got a show on HBO, gonna continue to support it and wish her all the success in the world.

This years feeling like the mid 90's when there was a good amount of quality black programs available. There was such a dearth of quality programs but now theres an influx of muliple shows that really speak to us..with black talent both in front of and behind the camera.

Atlanta
Black-ish
The get down
Insecure
Queen sugar
Luke cage

Loving it...i dont really fuck with TV, but we definitely will support these shows

:yes:

It's like the renaissance of Black TV just snuck up on us.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Agreed. I'd call the show 'Loss of Downs'. The title is a play on the football term; sometimes you're being handed the ball other times the ball is being taken away from you, either way a turnover has occurred and you are now placed into an offensive or defensive position depending on perspective.

It's a concept every black man can relate to- from the corporate superman- to the cat on the bricks.

Or call the show 'Riding the Curve': as in the bell curve and how a cat in makes his way between both extreme archetypes - Coprorate Supernigga and Street Supernigga and how the gravity of both opposites effects his life and relationships.

Pretty much, a show describing what it's like to be a black man whose not on T.V. scoring points, being arrrested, singing his ass off, running for office, kissing women's asses , or being propped up as one of the 'The Good One's ' that others should be like. ***EDIT*** Change 'Riding the Curve' to 'Grading on a Curve'...for the 'no homo'/pause brigade.

*two cents*

I could easily develop on a curve
His whole thing can be he's an engineer from humble beginnings trapped between both worlds
He's got nice things ppl ask what show he on. .. he tells them he's an engineer they say black ppl can do that?
He's himself not a token and the white ppl try to treat him like their pulse to culture and all he wants is to be respected for his abilities while his boss who is his boss because hes white keeps snatching the credit so that he can't advance
Too proper for most women
Has no interest in fake broads
Bout to give up and become one of those travel for pussy types when he meets serenity. A scientist going thru the same thing he is in her field at a party he went to for one of his old friends from the hood.
He gets introduced as that uppity nigga Brandon to her.
He says what he does she says a smart joke about engineers
She says what she does he plays dumb she smiles but has to go
He asks for the number she says you're an engineer you're smart ain't that many black women scientist here in wherever they are... find me.

And our story begins

Everybody like f her
His boys are moving in different directions than him
His new black friends are only like him in occupation not personality
His family is his family he has 2 sisters
And he just want something real finally that he can hold onto after dealing with a target on his back in every setting he finds himself in
Whether it's coworkers asking what does pussy popping mean to his white
coworkers
To everybody looking to get him to invest in they stuff or loan them money cause he got it.

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
I could easily develop on a curve
His whole thing can be he's an engineer from humble beginnings trapped between both worlds
He's got nice things ppl ask what show he on. .. he tells them he's an engineer they say black ppl can do that?
He's himself not a token and the white ppl try to treat him like their pulse to culture and all he wants is to be respected for his abilities while his boss who is his boss because hes white keeps snatching the credit so that he can't advance
Too proper for most women
Has no interest in fake broads
Bout to give up and become one of those travel for pussy types when he meets serenity. A scientist going thru the same thing he is in her field at a party he went to for one of his old friends from the hood.
He gets introduced as that uppity nigga Brandon to her.
He says what he does she says a smart joke about engineers
She says what she does he plays dumb she smiles but has to go
He asks for the number she says you're an engineer you're smart ain't that many black women scientist here in wherever they are... find me.

And our story begins

Everybody like f her
His boys are moving in different directions than him
His new black friends are only like him in occupation not personality
His family is his family he has 2 sisters
And he just want something real finally that he can hold onto after dealing with a target on his back in every setting he finds himself in
Whether it's coworkers asking what does pussy popping mean to his white
coworkers
To everybody looking to get him to invest in they stuff or loan them money cause he got it.
Sounds promising...

*two cents*

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
Also, side note, Between this show and the latest episode of Atlanta were getting a look the complex relationships between Black woman I've not really seen on TV before (I never watched Girlfriends, so maybe they dealt with that). Do the (few) sistas on the board feel like it's accurately depicted?

Yes, we have those "friends" who try to one-up us with their accomplishments, etc. But, generally, we don't live near to them and/or keep them in our close friend set. They usually, as in the Atlanta show with Van, people we grew up with and kick it every once in a while when either we or they are in town. After a while, though, that shit gets old and you stop keeping in touch.

When I was single, it was nothing to get a "girls night" together to commiserate about life...and, yeah, we stalk...ahem...I mean, we do internet research to find out where our crushes are and find them, if we're still feeling them. I don't talk to intimately about my sex life with my friends because, well, I don't...I have one good girlfriend that I would share stuff with, and that's it: big dicks, sex without condoms versus sex with, first time you have butt sex, etc. But, that's not really for the crew to know about...lol

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So I just noticed that Solange is the music consultant on this show. Man there is some major weight working in the background.

One of the EP's and Directors of the show is Melina Matsoukas a former video director for Beyonce.

Larry Wilmore is a writer, Debbie Allen is producing a episode.

Also, the show has the same production company, 3 Arts Entertainment, as 30 Rock, The Office, Louie, Broad City

Last edited:

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One of the EP's and Directors of the show is Melina Matsoukas a former video director for Beyonce.

Larry Withmore is a writer, Debbie Allen is producing a episode.

Also, the show has the same production company, 3 Arts Entertainment, as 30 Rock, The Office, Louie, Broad City

Interesting. I notice that Larry Wilmore? is also a writer/producer for Insecure. In fact, Issa credited him for c0-writing the Broken Pussy lyrics.

N*E*R*D

Out here somewhere
Registered
I peeped the show and found it interesting.

I may have been asleep under a rock but I do not know who Issa Rae is or was before this show.

YouTuber from what I'm gathering?

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I peeped the show and found it interesting.

I may have been asleep under a rock but I do not know who Issa Rae is or was before this show.

YouTuber from what I'm gathering?

We had at least a couple of threads on the web episodes
http://www.bgol.us/forum/index.php?threads/the-misadventures-of-awkward-black-girl.641657/
http://www.bgol.us/forum/index.php?threads/awkward-black-girl.611077/

I think they were so long ago 2011/2012 that people assumed she fell off the map

Gye78

International
International Member
Saw the thread a few weeks ago and made a mental note to catch the show.
Enjoying it so far. Soundtrack has been good too.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lasts night episode was easily the best.... I'm also going to have to look up that fine ass AKA. Chick was bad.

lol, those damn greeks...she was sexy tho

2130532_3.jpeg

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Shits crazy bro.

Wow, you mean to tell me that black men are so feminize that they can watch that shit and not realize they are clowning us black guys!:smh:
Guess this is what happens when guys start identifying themselves with bitches instead of other black men...