Harlem Globetrotter Fred "Curly" Neal has entered into rest.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

Wow. I can remember Curly, Meadowlark, and the Globetrotters playing at my HS when I was a Freshman. I actually got to interact with him for a couple of minutes. That shit made the rest of my year.

Curly, I appreciated you and the rest of the team. I've loved y'all forever. I hope your transition was with ease and while I will miss you sincerely, I will never forget you.

My sincerest condolences to your family, loved ones, and the host of friends and fellow fans which are surely countless.

I don't feel down...I immediately remember all of the laughs, joy, and sheer admiration over all of these years. I feel like a long time friend just left for a voyage and I hope you enjoy your travels. I wish you nothing more than everlasting peace.

I'll see you on the other side one day, my friend...

RGM
The picture in my Avatar is me only a couple of years prior to watching them play in person.
curly_2-1.jpg

deputy dawg

~wait a cotton pickin' minute...
BGOL Investor

Fred “Curly” Neal, one of the best-known members of the Harlem Globetrotters, died Thursday at his home outside Houston. He was 77.
Neal was born in Greensboro, North Carolina, and played college basketball at Johnson C. Smith in Charlotte, where he earned all-Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association honors.
He joined the Globetrotters in 1963 and played for the barnstorming on-court entertainers for 22 years. He appeared in more than 6,000 games in 97 countries before retiring in 1985.
His shaved head that earned him the ironic nickname Curly, as well as his virtuoso ball-handling skills, made him one of the most recognizable members of the squad, along with longtime teammate Meadowlark Lemon.

“We have lost one of the most genuine human beings the world has ever known,” Globetrotters general manager Jeff Munn said in a statement issued by the team. “His basketball skill was unrivaled by most, and his warm heart and huge smile brought joy to families worldwide. He always made time for his many fans and inspired millions.”

I used to hate getting dragged to the Globetrotters games but wound up having a good time as a kid!

RIP

Last edited: