Hall of Famer, 2-time MVP and MLB’s first African-American manager, Frank Robinson dies aged 83

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tumblr_pmknvalbXO1w6hxtso1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pmknvalbXO1w6hxtso2_1280.jpg

Frank Robinson with his NL and AL MVP awards, 1961 and 1966

RIP

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tumblr_ox93eidQ3b1tbo14yo1_640.jpg

tumblr_ox93eidQ3b1tbo14yo2_640.jpg

tumblr_ox93eidQ3b1tbo14yo3_1280.jpg

On October 3, 1974: Two-time MVP (in both the National and American Leagues) Frank Robinson is hired by the Cleveland Indians to be a player manager for the 1975 season. In doing so, Robinson becomes the first black manager in the history of Major League Baseball.

Robinson would manager the Indians from 1975-1977. Robinson also hold the distinction of being the first black manager in the National League when Robinson was hired as the manager of the San Francisco Giants from 1982-1984.

For Further Reading:

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tumblr_oqqll9gJZR1v8qh4po1_500.png

tumblr_oqqll9gJZR1v8qh4po2_500.png

tumblr_oqqll9gJZR1v8qh4po3_500.png

Former Cleveland Indians manager and player Frank Robinson speaks during the unveiling of a new statue commemorating his career prior to the game between the Cleveland Indians and the Kansas City Royals at Progressive Field on May 27, 2017 in Cleveland, Ohio.

Frank Robinson became the first African-American manager in Major League history on April 8, 1975, as a player-manager for the Indians.

Source: smellbaseball

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
Had the pleasure of meeting him & having a short conversation with him a few years ago. He was one of my pops heroes & Im glad I had the chance to relay my pops admiration to him personally.

Real mellow & very sharp. One of the great bay area baseball legends.

BaseballKid

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dayum! I've been playing the game since I was 9 and he was one of my favorite persons and players growing up. He is one of many black BB players posters I still have to this day. Sad day for the game, black sports and history. RIP Mr. Robinson!

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
Bill Russell Senior year and Frank Robinson Junior year. 1952 McClymonds High School, Oakland, CA.

201_0953e03871e1c2964f2379a3915f8abb.jpg

Curt Flood was on the baseball team too.

Edit - 2 hall of famers in their respective sports in Russell & Robinson. And both go on to become the 1st Black head coaches/managers in their respective sports.

Then you have Curt Flood playing baseball on the same team. Free agency in American sports is not where it is today without Curt Flood.

Last edited:

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
He didn't take no shit from nobody. Came along after Jackie Robinson and saw what he had to go through. He stood up for himself. When he came to Baltimore in 1966, it was even more racist than it is now. He couldn't find a decent place to live because blacks had not been allowed to live around whites (the newspaper ads for homes were segregated until the 70's) and Brooks Robinson had to get in the middle to help him find a good place for his family. They became best friends for life.

Dy1XCriXgAEyyZv.jpg
p3h79cpv
Bp5GL9f6

Last edited: