Grocery store shelves bare? These products may be hard to find amid supply chain disruptions

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Can't find what you need at the store again? You're not alone.

As the world reaches the two-year mark of the COVID-19 pandemic, more items are becoming scarce because of a supply chain shortage across the globe.

Supply chain concerns are a result of “record-level congestion at the Port of Los Angeles/Long Beach that has spread to the East Coast, the widespread power outages across China, shortages of truck drivers and service workers, and COVID-19-fueled infections and restrictions,” Tinglong Dai, a business professor at Johns Hopkins University, told USA TODAY in an email.

Shipping prices have skyrocketed, and demand for items has outpaced supplies.

Before making a grocery list, here is a list of items you might not find:

Ben & Jerry flavors
This frozen treat is usually the perfect dessert, but in an email on Sept. 14, Ben & Jerry's parent company, Unilever, cited labor shortages as the reason for reducing the amount of flavors produced. The company said it will focus on producing its most popular flavors. Phish Food lovers, you have nothing to worry about.

Carbonated drinks
Fertilizer plants, which lead to the production of carbon dioxide, had to reduce their output because of rising costs, causing shortages in food and other products, Per Hong, senior partner at consulting firm Kearney, told CNBC. “We almost certainly will be faced with a global shortage of CO2 that is used widely. CO2 is used extensively in the food value chain from inside packaged food to keep it fresher longer, for dry ice to keep frozen food cold during delivery, to giving carbonated beverages their bubbles,” he said.

Chicken
People have substituted fast food for home-cooked comfort meals, causing chicken to become scarce. In May, suppliers announced a shortage of chicken, which limited some restaurants' menu items and increased the price in stores.

Coffee
Brazil is a supplier of most of the world's coffee, but the country has been experiencing a drought that slowed production and transportation of coffee beans.

Diapers
Households with small children should be aware that diaper prices have increased because of increases in prices of raw materials, shipping delays and container shortages, according to Business Insider. Diaper manufacturers Proctor & Gamble (Pampers and Luvs) and Kimberly-Clark (Huggies) announced price increases in early April.

Fish sticks
A customs dispute at the U.S.-Canada border has kept the Alaska pollock, which is used for fish sticks and sandwiches, stored across the border. Cross-border violations have halted transportation of the fish and may cause permanent seafood supply chain problems.

Frozen meals
Rodney Holcomb, food economist at Oklahoma State University, told ABC27 News that concerns over the delta coronavirus variant have some customers buying more than usual, as Americans saw at the beginning of the pandemic, in case there is another lockdown.

Heinz ketchup packets
With restrictions on indoor dining, most people switched to pickup, takeout and delivery orders, limiting the supply of individual ketchup packets. Kraft Heinz confirmed to USA TODAY in early April that it was working to increase supplies, such as adding manufacturing lines that would increase production by about 25% for a total of more than 12 billion packets a year.

Marie Callender’s pot pies
The holidays call for comfort foods – even if you aren't the one making it. But expect shortages of Marie Callender's 10-ounce and 15-ounce pot pies. According to parent company Conagra, it would be allocating shipments through Nov. 29 after it "encountered packing material challenges from our tray and carton supplier resulting in a production interruption," CNN Business reports.

McCormick Gourmet spices
With the holidays around the corner, meals being prepared across the nation may be missing a very important ingredient: seasonings. McCormick Gourmet spices are short of packaging supplies due to pandemic-related shutdowns. Lori Robinson, a spokesperson for McCormick, told CNN Business, "Gourmet is the only product line impacted by this packaging shortage" but can be substituted with their regular spices.

Rice Krispie Treats
This lunchbox treat's production has been "below service expectations," as stated in an email sent to suppliers. The shortage persists as Kellogg's workers remain on strike, even though production lines have restarted as replacement workers were brought in.

Sour Patch Kids
In an Oct. 1 email to a grocery distributor, parent company Mondelez says there is "limited availability" on some of their items such as Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Fish candy and Toblerone chocolate "due to supply chain constraints."

Toilet paper
This is something that isn't new to the pandemic shortage list, but the industry has yet to keep up with the demand. The shortage stems from lumber's raw material, wood pulp, which is used to make toilet paper. Fox Business reports only 60% of orders are being shipped out. Some retailers, such as Costco, have reinstated purchasing limits.

Supply chain issues mean toilet paper, coffee, chicken hard to find (usatoday.com)

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Pandemic shortages: Products we've struggled to find during COVID

Foam: A foam shortage began when a February winter storm shut down all five U.S. plants – four in Texas and one in Louisiana – that produce the main chemical, called propylene oxide, needed to make foam. Delivery delays followed as did higher prices for sofas, boats, RVs, refrigerators and other products. Thouth the affected factories were shuttered for just several days, it took weeks to ramp them back near full tilt. And because most manufacturers rely on lean, just-in-time inventories, they couldn’t draw on surplus foam in the warehouse to keep their plants humming. Instead, many have been shutting down a couple of days a week while they await foam deliveries.

Liquor: Vermont is undergoing a pandemic-related liquor shortage, regulators say, leading to empty shelves in some stores and warehouses, WCAX-TV reports. “It is a global issue. A lot of it has been exacerbated by the pandemic. It’s not going to be a quick fix,” said Wendy Knight, deputy commissioner of the Vermont Department of Liquor and Lottery. It’s a global supply chain issue “from production gearing back up from the pandemic, worker shortages, shipping issues, and a glass shortage. That comes on top of demand from restaurants and bars reopening,” she said.

Chlorine: The smell of pool sanitizer could be more elusive than usual in Summer 2021.
That's because the swimming pool industry is grappling with a chlorine shortage that has caused prices of the chemical to soar, forcing pool owners to consider alternatives. But while chlorine demand jumped in 2020 as Americans spent more time at home with their pools due to the coronavirus pandemic, this year's shortage stems largely from an incident at a plant in Westlake, Louisiana, in August.

Heinz ketchup: The classic ketchup brand ran into shortage issues with its single-serving packets in the spring of 2021. After giving them out with drive-thru, takeout and delivery orders throughout 2020, restaurants also replaced bottles with packets on table tops when they were allowed to resume dine-in service.

Grape-Nuts cereal: According to the cereal's parent company, the process of making Grape-Nuts is complicated, making it difficult to keep stock. After a shortage that began in the fall of 2020, production was back to normal by March 2021.

Dumbbells: Home workout equipment became hard to find during throughout the spring and summer the pandemic as health clubs remained shuttered and Americans set up home gyms.

Used cars: The pandemic increased demand for used cars, forcing prices up around last summer. Things may not be much better in 2021: A dearth of semiconductor chip production is cramping new-vehicle production, limiting the availability of certain models in the coming months and threatening to raise used-car prices as buyers hunt for alternatives.

Seeds: Even into early 2021, gardening supplies were still affected by the pandemic.

Work-from-home desks: Desk stock dwindled in late summer as the 2021-22 school year approached but kids remained at home.

Roller skates: Stock of roller skates ran low last summer as well.

Fire pits: The warm weather of summer 2020 provided an opportunity for people to get outdoors and sit by a fire pit.

Camping equipment: Last summer, with people eager for a vacation but nervous about staying in hotels or resorts, stocks of tents, hammocks, coolers and other gear were limited.

Bicycles: Eager to get out of the house, Americans flocked to bike stores last spring and summer to pick up a two-wheeled ride.

Outdoor pools: With families trapped inside for many months during the pandemic, outdoor pools began to sell out as summer hit full swing.

Trampolines: Like outdoor pools, stock of trampolines (a summer staple) became scarce last summer.

Kayaks and canoes: Like other outdoor activities and gear, kayaks and canoes began to sell out last summer, as warmer weather allowed folks to get outdoors.

Bleach: Stocks of this cleaning staple were limited in the summer, when in addition to indoor disinfection, swimming pool owners used it in place of chlorine tablets.

Web cameras: A nationwide shift to work and school-from-home setups left Americans struggling to connect virtually. The devices began selling out in Spring 2020 as the shift into the home became longer term.

Affordable existing homes: The housing market didn't slow down during the COVID-19 pandemic. In fact, potential homebuyers faced additional obstacles. Lending standards from mortgage companies tightened during the pandemic and inventory of affordable homes was scarce as bidding wars became common.

Gardening equipment: Gardening offered a welcome outdoor activity last spring.

Freezers: As Americans bought more food in bulk to freeze for later, the available freezers became hard to come by in the spring of 2020.

Toilet paper: This household necessity was mind-bogglingly difficult to find during throughout the spring of 2020. The shortage was largely caused by consumers over- and panic-buying while predicting a long-term lockdown.

Face masks: The U.S. supply of N95 masks was already running low when the pandemic reached our shores last spring and persisted well into the summer of 2020. As a result, medical professionals resorted to reusing the ones they had on hand for months.

Flour: Baking became a popular indoor activity as stay at home orders remained in place in Spring 2020.

Yeast: Another necessary baking product, yeast, sold out in many grocery stores in the spring.

Disinfecting wipes: Brands like Clorox, Lysol and others had their wipes flying off shelves in the spring of 2020 as Americans fought the COVID-19 virus.

Thermometers: With fever a key symptom in COVID-19 diagnosis, personal thermometers also began to sell out in the spring of 2020.

Hand sanitizer: As panic over the COVID-19 pandemic spread, consumers rushed to stores to stock up on germ-killing hand sanitizer in the spring of 2020. Stores quickly sold out, forcing Americans to get creative by making their own hand sanitizer with alcohol and spirits.

COVID shortages: These products were in high demand during pandemic (usatoday.com)

Last edited:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah went over to Costco a few days ago in Spanish Harlem and the big pack of toilet paper was out..crazy thing the sign said it was a 1 limited a person and yet the section was still completely empty

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
This pandemic ruined us for grocery stores. Seems like ancient times going to a store and looking through shit. Standing in line. All that bullshit. Everything is delivered now. Most everything seems to be in stock every single time we shop. Just had a problem with the flavored coke zero last year.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I only require TP on that whole list and my gf always keeps 3 or 4, 36 roll packs in the basement. I hope this economy get's it shit together sometime soon. :dunno:

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Fake Food Covers Empty Grocery Shelves To Hide Shortages

Stores are doing their best not to draw customers’ attention to the fact that shelves are much emptier than they usually are. Some stores are filling shelves with large, out of season items like camping chairs, or “decoys” of real products.

One store went so far as to cover the shelves with a sheet that had a photo of fully stocked shelves printed on it. Shopping expert Phil Lempert says that there’s a method to the deception, as empty shelves can spark panic and cause people to start hoarding.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Fake Food Covers Empty Grocery Shelves To Hide Shortages

Stores are doing their best not to draw customers’ attention to the fact that shelves are much emptier than they usually are. Some stores are filling shelves with large, out of season items like camping chairs, or “decoys” of real products.

One store went so far as to cover the shelves with a sheet that had a photo of fully stocked shelves printed on it. Shopping expert Phil Lempert says that there’s a method to the deception, as empty shelves can spark panic and cause people to start hoarding.

What in the fuck

Rembrandt

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
one reason they're limiting toilet paper is because a truck fits 40 pallets. if they have to keep filling it with toilet paper and paper towels then you don't get all the food on there and with all of the holidays coming they are getting food out. They have limited drivers and trailers right now. Stores getting more and more stuff every day.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
@lightbright happy that pillows and vaseline ain't listed
:itsawrap:
#faginfagout
#tonsilstakenout
#turdsfallrightonout

#Hermaphrodite #PoleAssasin #ThroatFairy #FagOnIce

VBWs.gif

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All I known is this, where I shop is over 4 different franchises, and green peppers ain’t in stock no…where.

And that just one item. At one time this past Summer, I had to hit 3 locations everyday just to snag 2 Lunchables.
Latest forecasts are saying mid 2023.
So, damn, how is the spreadsheet going to look at the company for all of 2022 from a loss of revenue standpoint?

Is the company shortlisted to receive bottles as soon as they become available?
man I ant seen no empty shelves in my area, just prices going up
Where you live?
same here. far as i can tell, we are out of nothing.
Where you shop?

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
So, damn, how is the spreadsheet going to look at the company for all of 2022 from a loss of revenue standpoint?

They are. They're on the allotment list. Tyvek is also an allotment item now. Some vendors can't even get ON the list. DuPont is doing some serious rationing right now.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am just spitballing.

I wonder if you don’t see much a difference because your state has multiple ports and is surrounded by water on 3 sides?

Like, Savannah is the U. S. 4th busiest port, but from a produce and dry goods standpoint, it’s a few items that aren’t making it to the A.

I have noticed it for like the last 3 weeks.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They are. They're on the allotment list. Tyvek is also an allotment item now. Some vendors can't even get ON the list. DuPont is doing some serious rationing right now.
I can’t do anything with it, but I just love knowing inside company information.

It’s fascinating.

DuPont is a giant and they are struggling.

I understand why they don’t tell, but consumers/citizens need to know.

As a consumer so you can prepare to shop elsewhere and as a citizen because of potential business opportunities.

This is a bit off topic, but since we are talking supply chains, you don’t understand how the world really works until you step foot inside of a ULine warehouse.

These places are football fields long of the most unsexy products, but they are making money hand over fist because you can’t do sustainable, or expanded, business without what they sell in that warehouse.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
I am just spitballing.

I wonder if you don’t see much a difference because your state has multiple ports and is surrounded by water on 3 sides?

Like, Savannah is the U. S. 4th busiest port, but from a produce and dry goods standpoint, it’s a few items that aren’t making it to the A.

I think one of this country's problems, is we're consumers and about 57% of our imports go through the west coast.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
I can’t do anything with it, but I just love knowing inside company information.

It’s fascinating.

DuPont is a giant and they are struggling.

I understand why they don’t tell, but consumers/citizens need to know.

As a consumer so you can prepare to shop elsewhere and as a citizen because of potential business opportunities.

This is a bit off topic, but since we are talking supply chains, you don’t understand how the world really works until you step foot inside of a ULine warehouse.

These places are football fields long of the most unsexy products, but they are making money hand over fist because you can’t do sustainable, or expanded, business without what they sell in that warehouse.
The thing is, those who produce, are also consumers. That's the boat we're in. And on top of that, our components are custom made, which means our vendors are having trouble getting stuff. This is why I switched to making blanket orders this past summer. I have stuff that have a dock date of July 2022.

daTiger

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am just spitballing.

That could be it. Makes sense.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think one of this country's problems, is we're consumers and about 57% of our imports go through the west coast.
I guess because we are importing so much from China?

What a contrast from the cargo coming in primarily from the East Coast centuries ago.

I mean wouldn’t it be amazing to be trade partners, as a group of people, with African countries?
The thing is, those who produce, are also consumers. That's the boat we're in. And on top of that, our components are custom made, which means our vendors are having trouble getting stuff. This is why I switched to making blanket orders this past summer. I have stuff that have a dock date of July 2022.
I don’t want to get to personal. What vertical is your company in? What title does someone have in your position? Is the business B2C or B2B?

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
All I known is this, where I shop is over 4 different franchises, and green peppers ain’t in stock no…where.

And that just one item. At one time this past Summer, I had to hit 3 locations everyday just to snag 2 Lunchables.

Where you live?

Where you shop?
san antonio (HEB)

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Shelves aren't empty here but prices are crazy...

I was in a meat market the other day and oxtails were damn near 13lb and catfish filets were 12..

even fruit and produce prices been jacked