Got a stash of Bed Bath & Beyond coupons? You’d better use them soon, as they file for bankruptcy

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Not even gonna lie.... they got some nice quality shit there, but it was mostly overpriced.... even with that 20% off coupon card..... because of Amazon, they quickly became a "touch, see and feel" store for me.... like Best Buy..... go there to see the product... Best Buy stepped up their game at first but wouldn't match or beat an Amazon price.... they started to feel that pain tho

Bed Bath & Beyond coupon shoppers take note: If you have a stash of its big blue 20% off coupons in your drawer or in your inbox, better use them soon.

The struggling home goods retailer issued a dire prediction on Thursday, calling into doubt its ability to stay in business much longer and said it was exploring a path forward that includes filing for bankruptcy.

A bankruptcy filing, which reportedly could come in a matter of weeks, might spell the end of its iconic coupon programs, especially if the company pursues a bankruptcy process that involves liquidation rather than just restructuring.

“If Bed Bath & Beyond files for bankruptcy, the retailer might honor the 20% coupons for a 30-day period. After that, and especially if it starts closing stores and sets liquidation sales, creditors wouldn’t want to allow shoppers to tack on those 20% off coupons on top of 70% off liquidation prices,” said Burt Flickinger, retail expert and managing director of retail consultancy Strategic Resource Group.

Other retailers have followed a similar game plan after bankruptcy and store closings.

Toys ‘R’ Us honored its gift cards, store credit and coupons for a 30-day period after it filed for bankruptcy in 2017, and subsequently liquidated its US business. The toy seller has since begun to attempt a comeback through a partnership with Macy’s, and opened its first post-bankruptcy store in 2019 under new ownership.

It’s not just creditors who might take issue with the store honoring the coupons on top of liquidation discounts. “For suppliers of name brands in particular, they wouldn’t want the deep discounting to negatively impact their brand image,” said Ali Besharat, associate professor of marketing and co-director of the Consumer Insights and Business Innovation Center at the University of Denver’s Daniels College of Business.

Big Blue became a company icon
Bed Bath & Beyond introduced its oversized coupon for 20% off a single item three decades ago.

Over time, the oversized postcard-like mailer and digital coupon with an eye-popping purple-blue border and font blaring “20% off in-store or online” developed a cult following and became a successful marketing strategy to lure in repeat shoppers, said Flickinger.

230106122031-bed-bath-and-beyond-coupon.jpg
A Bed Bath & Beyond coupon is seen on January 6, 2023.

The coupon became so synonymous with the home goods chain that it gained a nickname – “Big Blue,” according to a New York Times report. And then it grew into a pop culture reference as celebrities and late-night talk show hosts popped it into their on-air conversations, the report said.

Rumors swirled on various social platforms that Big Blue coupons never expire, even though the weekly coupon does feature an expiration date.

Then the pandemic hit and walloped the retail industry. With stores closed for months, and consumers rethinking their non-essential purchases, Bed Bath & Beyond sales and profit took a hit. In late 2020, the retailer said it was scaling back on its popular coupon program to boost its business.

Two years later, company executives called the move a ‘big mistake,” admitting they had misjudged how much shoppers had come to embrace the regular cadence of the Big Blue coupons.

And now, Big Blue’s future could truly be in jeopardy. It depends on what comes next.

“Whether or not Bed Bath & Beyond loyalty programs would survive also depends, in part, on whether the company goes through Chapter 11 bankruptcy, known as restructuring, or Chapter 7 bankruptcy, that is, liquidation,” said Chandan Jha, associate professor of finance at Le Moyne College in Syracuse, NY.

“If it is the former, then there’s a very, very high chance that the reward programs will survive and the company will honor any existing rewards and coupons. After all, the company would not want to lose their customers and these loyalty programs or loyalty rewards are made to retain customers,” said Jha.

But if the company goes through a liquidation process, then whether or not these reward points and coupons would be honored is uncertain, he said.

“Since the company no longer exists, it is quite possible that the points would simply be useless. However, sometimes the reward points work differently and might survive even after the parent company dies,” he said. “In any case, if I was a customer holding reward points and coupons, and if the company would be going through a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, then I would use it before they lose value.”

Got a stash of Bed Bath & Beyond coupons? You'd better use them soon | CNN Business

bxclark

Rising Star
Platinum Member
There is nothing in the store anymore. They are a shell of their former selves.. literally. They're definitely on life support and I'll have no problem throwing my stack of coupons away.

I need @Adam Knows to come back through with the coupon game. My printer is collecting dust.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I just ordered 5 lotions for 4.99 a piece thanks to their winter sale.. come on bath and body works fight the pandemic and win.. this 1 of my go to stores, I need you to survive

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
I don't want any of your gay coupons . You don't need lotion and exfoliants. Aren't you moist enough? You oily kween

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I just ordered 5 lotions for 4.99 a piece thanks to their winter sale.. come on bath and body works fight the pandemic and win.. this 1 of my go to stores, I need you to survive
Wrong store. I be making the same mistake getting the names mixed up at times too

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I went into one yesterday. it reminded me of a K-Mart if you've been in one in the last couple of years. It was clean, but they were clearly spacing things out to give the illusion of having plenty of stock. It's not dire, but if you are looking for basics, you'll be better off going to Target or Wal-Mart as they may have a better selection.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Stopped in there some years back for a wedding gift. Couple had their registry there. They wanted all the overpriced, expensive shit. I ended up buying them some cheaper cookware (from the list). I don’t give a fuck.

:roflmao3:

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Stopped in there some years back for a wedding gift. Couple had their registry there. They wanted all the overpriced, expensive shit. I ended up buying them some cheaper cookware (from the list). I don’t give a fuck.

:roflmao3:
They do have some nice shit in there, but Amazon slayed that dragon..... I love the plush bathroom towels that they have..... but Amazon turned them into a look/touch/feel spot for me.... check shit out.... get the brand name.... then look for the same item and manufacturer on Amazon for the cheapest price

:itsawrap:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
They do have some nice shit in there, but Amazon slayed that dragon..... I love the plush bathroom towels that they have..... but Amazon turned them into a look/touch/feel spot for me.... check shit out.... get the brand name.... then look for the same item and manufacturer on Amazon

:itsawrap:

Agreed. Back in the day when their stores were fully stocked in the 2000s it was interesting to look around. As the saying goes though, definitely have to know your prices and what’s of value.

Often feel the same at electronics stores. Bought a 40” Samsung at Best Buy in 2009. It was one of their spring door crashers. Got to talking with one of the associates who was cool, and she broke down for me how the sale worked. How many they ordered, the general mark-up (and now price reduction), how the price had varied on that set over the past year, etc. This was back when 40” sets were still kinda expensive, compared to the way better deals now.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Not even gonna lie.... they got some nice quality shit there, but it was mostly overpriced.... even with that 20% off coupon card..... because of Amazon, they quickly became a "touch, see and feel" store for me....

They do have some nice shit in there, but Amazon slayed that dragon..... I love the plush bathroom towels that they have..... but Amazon turned them into a look/touch/feel spot for me....

So in other words, you treated the store the way you tread the ZOO?!? Go "touch, see, and feel" and go get the REAL THANG!!!!

:pedobear::pedobear::pedobear:

:hmm::puke:

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
More than 2,100 stores are closing across the US in 2023. Here's the full list.

Amazon, Bath & Body Works, Walmart, and Foot Locker are among the chains shutting down stores.

Dominick Reuter
May 2, 2023

It's not exactly the retail apocalypse of prior years, but it's a shakeup nonetheless.

An Insider tally of announcements by major retailers in 2023 finds as many as 2,119 stores set to close across the US.

The rationales are varied: some companies are navigating bankruptcy proceedings, while others say they are aiming to cut costs. Several are adjusting store formats to meet changing shopping trends.

Leading the list is Bed Bath & Beyond, which has declared bankruptcy and is set to close 896 stores across three brands this year, followed by Foot Locker, which is shuttering 545 stores across two brands by 2026 as part of a shift away from shopping malls.

See the full list:

Bed Bath & Beyond: 896 stores
Foot Locker: 545 stores
Tuesday Morning: 487 stores
Bath & Body Works: 50 stores
Gap and Banana Republic: 46 stores
Walmart: 22 locations
Party City: 31 stores
Best Buy: 20 stores
Amazon: at least 8 stores
Big Lots: 7 stores
The RealReal: 6 stores
Macy's: 4 stores
Target: 4 stores
JCPenney: 2 stores

Click Above Link For More Information

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
@blackbull1970

‘And they wonder why they are filing for bankruptcy: Customer claims she caught Bed Bath & Beyond marking up items during liquidation sale

AA1aORSl.img

‘And they wonder why they are filing for bankruptcy: Customer claims she caught Bed Bath & Beyond marking up items during liquidation sale

In April, Bed Bath & Beyond filed for bankruptcy. While “the company secured a $240 million loan to help fund its operations during bankruptcy,” per CNN, it also announced that it would be closing some stores — and offering special sales while doing so.

Naturally, customers flocked to the stores in hopes of finding some previously-undiscovered deal.

The results have been mixed. For example, one customer went to a store to find that the blowout closing sale only offered a modest 10% discount.

Now, a user on TikTok has sparked discussion after alleging that prices in her local store weren’t marked down at all. In fact, the TikToker says, prices increased.

In a video with over 62,000 views as of Saturday, TikTok user Deidra (@deidra.bailey) shows a welcome mat with a price sticker on it. The actual price has been blotted out using a permanent marker, though it’s clear that the price was once $20.

Deidra then pans to the current price: $28.

“When you go to the Bed Bath & Beyond liquidation sale and [notice] some prices marked up,” she writes in the text overlaying the video.

Suspicious discounts are nothing new on TikTok. In December 2022, a user showed a piece of luggage at Kohl’s that claimed to be marked down 60% from its original price of $440. When she peeled off a sticker on the bag, it was revealed that the original price was actually $319.99.

Under Deidra’s video, users offered potential reasons for the price change.

“This isn’t a bed bath issue,” one user commented. “It always happens. Raise prices 20% and do a sale to drop 10% or 15%.”

“I worked at Bed Bath and that happens when product comes in with the wrong price and you fix it before it goes out,” another alleged. “That has been happening long before any of them started closing.”

“Because prices over the last couple years. I just went through liquidation and it doesn’t get marked up. All promo sales go back to regular price,” offered a third.

Still, many users shared their thoughts on the lackluster sale prices.

“Went in there and didn't understand why people were buying so much the sales weren't even good,” stated a user.

“Went today and not worth it,” claimed a second.

We’ve reached out to Bed Bath & Beyond via email and Deidra via TikTok direct message.

Sign up to receive the Daily Dot’s Internet Insider newsletter for urgent news from the frontline of online.

The post ‘And they wonder why they are filing for bankruptcy: Customer claims she caught Bed Bath & Beyond marking up items during liquidation sale appeared first on The Daily Dot.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
All these folks working will either be laid off or relocated to nearby stores.

But in the end….we are slowly getting to that point here in America with Labor…..“WHY BOTHER?…”.

Folks are waking up and getting tired of the BS.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
FedEx closing more locations, planning to furlough employees

BY RASHAD SIMMONS
05/02/23

FedEx announced on Monday it will close 29 FedEx Freight locations, furloughing another round of employees as a result of slowing demand.

The closures will be in effect by August 13, and the company will consolidate its operations into other FedEx locations, FedEx Manager of Global Public Affairs and Advocacy Isabel Rollison told The Hill.

“We continuously review our network to ensure we have the right design to address changing market dynamics,” FedEx said in a statement. “Through that process, we identified opportunities to consolidate operations in several locations to improve customer service levels and improve efficiencies with fewer touchpoints, while lowering our cost to serve.”

“Our top priority is to help affected team members find other open positions where possible,” the statement continued.

The FedEx Freight closures come less than a month after the company announced in early April it will combine the company’s air and ground shipping operations as part of a $4 billion cut because of slowing demand.

Rollins also said FedEx Freight will enact an additional furlough for certain job classes starting May 28, in which “eligible employees will be offered permanent transfer opportunities to other markets that have hiring needs.” FedEx Freight will also maintain health benefits for furloughed employees, Rollins added.

“This is a temporary workforce adjustment, and all furloughed employees will be recalled on or before Aug. 25, 2023,” FedEx said in its decision. “FedEx continues to maintain operations as normal, providing the essential services our customers depend on.”

The company’s moves were first reported by The Commercial Appeal in Memphis, Tenn.

DJI_0026.jpg