dik cashmere

Freaky Tah gettin high that's my brother
BGOL Investor
Go-Go Music Pioneer Maxx Kidd Dies at 75
Maxx-Kidd-portrait-bw-obit-2017-billboard-1548.jpg

Maxx Kidd
Courtesy of Corie Kidd
3/15/2017 by Gail Mitchell

Maxx Kidd, a music industry veteran who helped pioneer go-go music, died March 13 in Chevy Chase, Maryland, Billboard has learned. The 75-year-old Kidd passed away following a years-long battle with “a variety of health complications,” according to surviving family members.

Born Carl Lomax Kidd on Aug. 18, 1941, Kidd was a young man growing up in West Virginia when he met singer Nat “King” Cole” at a nightclub owned by Kidd’s father. That sparked an interest in pursuing a career in music, which Kidd started in earnest in 1960 when he relocated to Washington, D.C. following a stint in the army. It was there that Kidd parlayed his pre-army job as a Calypso singer for a drive-in restaurant into becoming a member of a local D.C. soul group called The Enjoyables.

READ MOREGone But Not Forgotten: In Memoriam 2016
Kidd’s first major industry breakthrough was working as a producer for Curtis Mayfield’s Curtom Records, where he collaborated with such artists as Jerry Butler, Gene Chandler and Chuck Brown & the Soul Searchers. Two R&B hits by Brown, “Blow Your Whistle” and “We Need Some Money,” are among Kidd’s best-known productions.

Four years later, Kidd played a role in producing and supporting D.C.’s infamous go-go sound, working with Brown & the Soul Searchers as well as fellow funk groups Trouble Funk and E.U. (Experience Unlimited). Kidd also served as an associate producer of the 1986 film Good to Go, a crime thriller starring Art Garfunkel that used D.C.’s burgeoning go-go scene as its musical backdrop. Kidd co-produced the film’s go-go/dancehall-inspired soundtrack as well, featuring Chuck Brown, Trouble Funk, E.U., Sly Dunbar & Robbie Shakespeare, Ini Kamoze and Redds & the Boys (whose lineup included Kidd).

In addition to establishing his own record label, T.T.E.D. Records, Kidd became an independent promoter and marketer, with a client list that included the O’Jays, the Temptations, Lou Rawls, Van McCoy, Johnnie Taylor and Shalamar.

Kidd is survived by five daughters (Jacqueline McCoy, Yvette “Evie” Kidd, Sabrina Kidd, Joy Kidd, Corie Kidd) and one son (Victor Kidd), 11 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren plus four siblings and a son-in-law. Funeral arrangements are pending.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bill.../hip-hop/7727710/go-go-pioneer-maxx-kidd-obit

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
RIP.
that Good to Go flick was straight garbage. dc dudes for the most part aint feelin no bright-ass color tee shirts. Very inaccurate portrayal of life in DC

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
from the youtube comment above this shit look like trash and if fab 5 freddy is really starring in a movie about dc then u and every one of the 64 yr old niggas that watched this flick back in the day can go to hell.

a dc "gang" led by fab 5 freddy. mannnn get theeee fuck outta here.
You silly disrespectful bitch... It wasnt meant to be Roots you slut. Its a low budget crime pic with the 80s GO GO scene as backdrop.. Its part of the local cultural landscape and anyone with even a shadow of a conscious from that era had it as must see tv... Who gives a fuck that Fab 5 played in it you dumb son of a bitch.. He was a paid participant. The entire cast wasnt gonna be filled with locals.. its a film not a documentary you bleeding shit stain.

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
I've loved Go-Go since the 1980's, so I'm saddened to hear that one of its main pioneers has passed on.
Rest in Peace Maxx Kidd, thank you for bringing go-go to the wider world, and thank you DC for letting us
into the party. Long Live Go Go music and culture.

99f620969e89cc3843e1ed6a5bfdefdd.gif

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
RIP and respect.
I have Good to Go soundtrack on vinyl. I recall seeing the movie a loooong time ago.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Alas, Good to Go did nothing good for go-go. It’s a lousy movie. Garfunkel plays a journalist wrongly accused of murder who has to dive into D.C.’s underbelly, and therefore the go-go scene, to save himself. George Pelecanos, a writer for The Wire and a crime novelist who gets much of his material from the streets of the nation’s capital, said in a 2008 interview that the film couldn’t survive its fish-out-of-water casting. “Go-go is black music for black teenagers,” Pelecanos said, “and [Blackwell] put the whitest guy in a movie about black culture.”

I only saw Good to Go because a friend of mine had a low-level job on the crew, and even he would admit it stank. It’s so bad that producers changed the name of the movie when it went from theaters to VHS, then never released it on DVD. If I remember correctly, many of the local scenes were shot in Georgetown, though go-go hadn’t yet gotten that far west of 16th Street NW. Still hasn’t, actually, other than in D.C. Lottery commercials and some Chuck Brown gigs at Blues Alley, an upscale and mostly jazz club.
I dont need a review Siskel. I saw the shit.. Im saying if you were around when it came out you saw the shit Period! It was part of the cultural landscape and the films soundtrack was fucking certified.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've loved Go-Go since the 1980's, so I'm saddened to hear that one of its main pioneers has passed on.
Rest in Peace Maxx Kidd, thank you for bringing go-go to the wider world, and thank you DC for letting us
into the party. Long Live Go Go music and culture.

99f620969e89cc3843e1ed6a5bfdefdd.gif
Well said. I'm a Go-Go fan as well.

B-Witty

I am on point like a tattle tell................!
Registered
damn never heard of em... R.I.P fam and thank u for contributing to music so effortlessly....... u has passion for Go-Go