BGOL Investor
Princess-Shyngle.jpeg

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Abou
So how much is a ticket?

One way
About five dollars less than a round trip. Airlines do some funny stuff with pricing. And in seriousness you wouldn't wanna go anywhere one way. Just cause something looks good on paper doesn't mean it's for you. Spend at least a month somewhere till you know what makes it tick. From D.C. where my connection was to Accra was about 12 hours... went to sleep at night on the plane, woke in the morning and still had hours to go. It's far! And expensive! You can go to anyplace in Europe for around half the price of Africa. That being the case, I always tell people don't go for a week, or even 2 weeks. Too far, too expensive and too much to see. Take a month minimum. And as best you can budget, see as many countries of interest as you can. Be be warned, even flying short distances on the continent is very expensive. Now that South African Airlines just went out of business, and Ethiopian Air is on the edge of the cliff, it can only get even more expensive with less competition. If you go to Ghana, you'll fly into Accra. They are building an international airport in Kumasi, but I haven't heard of it being open yet. From Accra you can cheaply go to Togo. The capital of Togo, Lome is a short day trip by car or bus from Accra. No other country is even remotely close except Benin where there is little to see or do though. Maybe you could bus west to Ivory Coast, maybe 8 hours to the capital, Abidjan, but they don't speak much English there. They speak French, but OMG they got some fine women there! You can go East to Lagos, Nigeria which would be a blast, but it's like 10 or 11 hours of variable road through 2 fairly small countries.

Last edited:

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
post some chicks from Ghana ...help me make my mind up ..:D
What you will find, sir, is that you can find many pretty girls with obscene curves in Africa, and yes you'll get 3 times more attention and play than you're used to in the U.S., MOST ESPECIALLY in countries where you're more of a curiosity or novelty. Nobody is going to find you that exotic in lower Ghana cause they see amerikkkans all the time. Yes, you can get plenty of company there, but not like you'll get in places not so used to an amerikkkan presence. Maybe in northern Ghana up around Tamale you'll stand out, but they speak a lot less English and a lot more Twi (pronounced Chwee) and Ga (Gah) up there. There are better places, if that's your motive, but they always say Ghana is always the best place to go in Africa to get your feet wet. It is less of a culture shock than almost any other country, minus South Africa, (But they have other issues) .... Ghana in many circles is called "Africa lite." Back to my point ... You will learn something I learned the hard way. I will say this, despite any cold reactions ... WE ARE NO LONGER AFRICANS! You will find that out. Yes, we are African by DNA, by historical record etc. etc. etc., but culturally, WE ARE NOT AFRICANS! We've been gone too long. We have no country. And while you can make lasting friendships in Africa, you will discover that you're not really on the same wavelength with them, FAST. Makes long term dating a challenge, but short trysts can go well. My girl from Madagascar was well educated ... more so than I. She had a Master's degree in English. (English is a foreign language in Madagascar, as few speak it. They speak Malagasy and French) But it was almost like she'd been living in a cave her whole life. No exposure. Could only really have meaningful conversations about her own life, surroundings and her own little world. You will get bored, no matter how fine she is or what she can do in the sack. Nobody screws every waking hour.

Last edited:

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Ghana looks really easy to live in
Till you live it, you'll need more info. Ghana requires you go to immigration to renew your visa every 30 days. Not the end of the world, and it's about 40 dollars as I remember, but it will definitely get tiring. In Belize I renew every 3 months and even that gets old. Mine is considerably more expensive sadly. They just doubled the price a month and a half ago. Ghana claims to have a repatriation program for the diaspora. They've been saying that shit since back in the Jerry Rawlings days. Matter of fact, I think the concept was his creation. Last I heard of, Bob Marley's widow was the only person to actually get approved. The present president Akufo Addo said a few months ago that he was going to fix that but I don't know if he has or hasn't. Nobody wants to sit 2 or 3 hours in the immigration office every month. And if you don't live in either of the 2 biggest cities, Accra or Kumasi, you'll be travelling possibly a long way to do it. As I remember, no other cities have an office. Not trying to dissuade you from considering Ghana. Fact is, everyplace will have different challenges you have to overcome. EVERYPLACE! There are no utopias!

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
These kids are from Uganda, about 40 miles from Entebbe, not Ghana. I got to meet a couple of them and gave them 20 dollars for the joy their dancing brings me. Africa kids are far more humble and precious, in general, than kids in the Western world.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Abou

About five dollars less than a round trip. Airlines do some funny stuff with pricing. And in seriousness you wouldn't wanna go anywhere one way. Just cause something looks good on paper doesn't mean it's for you. Spend at least a month somewhere till you know what makes it tick. From D.C. where my connection was to Accra was about 12 hours... went to sleep at night on the plane, woke in the morning and still had hours to go. It's far! And expensive! You can go to anyplace in Europe for around half the price of Africa. That being the case, I always tell people don't go for a week, or even 2 weeks. Too far, too expensive and too much to see. Take a month minimum. And as best you can budget, see as many countries of interest as you can. Be be warned, even flying short distances on the continent is very expensive. Now that South African Airlines just went out of business, and Ethiopian Air is on the edge of the cliff, it can only get even more expensive with less competition. If you go to Ghana, you'll fly into Accra. They are building an international airport in Kumasi, but I haven't heard of it being open yet. From Accra you can cheaply go to Togo. The capital of Togo, Lome is a short day trip by car or bus from Accra. No other country is even remotely close except Benin where there is little to see or do though. Maybe you could bus west to Ivory Coast, maybe 8 hours to the capital, Abidjan, but they don't speak much English there. They speak French, but OMG they got some fine women there! You can go East to Lagos, Nigeria which would be a blast, but it's like 10 or 11 hours of variable road through 2 fairly small countries.
My dad is from Accra, I love going there.

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Damn.. I'm sorry but this singer is not from Ghana either, but South Africa. Sue me! She is singing a song, Vulinlela originally by Brenda Fassie, but Brenda died

Chills

International member
BGOL Investor
In Ghana now...doing and exploring business whilst enjoying the freedom. The motherland can be a breath of fresh air (for me). There's a lotta opinions and ignorance on the topic. Do your due diligence and visit for yourself. A number of friends from states and UK are currently loading up containers to relocate in Accra, Kenya and Gambia...To each his own.

Last edited:

bbuzzard

Skeptic
BGOL Investor
In Ghana now...doing and exploring business whilst enjoying the freedom. The motherland can be a breath of fresh air (for me). There's a lotta opinions and ignorance on the topic. Do your due diligence and visit for yourself. A number of friends from states and UK are currently loading up containers to relocate in Accra, Kenya and Gambia...To each his own.
Looking for all the details, if you don't mind. I plan to visit in the next year...

Last edited: