UPDATE: SENTENCED 22.5 yrs! Trial of Derek Chauvin (Justice for George Floyd) Update: + 20 yrs federal!

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think only NYC cops are losing qualified immunity though, right? The rest of the state still has it... I think it's more Deblasio and city council. Or did Cuomo give the thumbs up?

It is. Cuomo signed it sunday. Probably why these accusations is coming at him.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn..it seem nobody here is interested in this trial.

I’m not, trial should’ve been maybe an hour until he was found guilty. There’s no defense or justifiable reason to place your knee in a man’s neck who wasn’t resisting and keeping it there until he dies.

I don’t care or want to listen to the excuses or bullshit from the defense attorney because it’s only going to be upsetting.

A man last week killed 10 people in Colorado and was arrested alive. And a man accused of using a counterfeit twenty dollar bill was killed and wasn’t violent or resisting arrest?

I know that you know all of these things, just venting. But I’m not interested in the trial, just the verdict.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Clerk Who Questioned $20 Bill Watched Floyd Arrest With ‘Disbelief and Guilt’
During the third day of Derek Chauvin’s trial, witness after witness agonized over whether they could have done anything to stop what would eventually happen to George Floyd.

In a still image from video inside Cup Foods, George Floyd is seen on the day he died in police custody.Credit...Court TV still image, via Associated Press
By John Eligon, Shaila Dewan, Tim Arango and Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs
Published March 31, 2021Updated April 1, 2021, 4:10 a.m. ET

MINNEAPOLIS — He chatted with a store clerk about playing football. He grabbed a banana off a shelf, flipped through a wad of cash, and hugged and exchanged pleasantries with a woman, laughing with his hand on her back.
In surveillance footage played for the first time in a Minneapolis courtroom on Wednesday, the world got to see George Floyd as it never had before: He was just another customer in a corner store that he liked to frequent.
Within half an hour, Mr. Floyd would be handcuffed and face down on the pavement outside of Cup Foods, calling out for his mother as a police officer pressed his knee into Mr. Floyd’s neck. Roughly two hours after he walked into the store he was dead.
On the third day of testimony in the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former police officer charged with murdering Mr. Floyd, a clearer picture emerged of the events preceding Mr. Floyd’s death, with witness after witness agonizing over whether they could have done anything to stop what would soon unfold.
ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story

The 19-year-old clerk who served Mr. Floyd at the corner store that day wondered whether the death was his fault because he had reported that Mr. Floyd used a fake $20 bill. A 61-year-old man who saw the police pinning Mr. Floyd to the ground shook his head and held back tears as a video of the brutal arrest played. He collapsed on the witness stand, sobbing. “I can’t help but feel helpless,” said the man, Charles McMillian. “I don’t have a mama either, but I understand him.”

“If I would have just not taken the bill, this could have been avoided,” testified the store’s teenage clerk, who had told his manager that Mr. Floyd paid with a counterfeit bill.Credit...Aaron Nesheim for The New York Times
Mr. Floyd’s death last May left a trail of agony for the people who were part of the unfolding tragedy — the weight of what they had witnessed plain to see in the form of tears, long pauses and deep breaths during their testimony.
It all began casually at the corner store. In the surveillance footage, Mr. Floyd is seen pacing the aisles, speaking with other customers and workers. He goes from one end to the next, accidentally knocks over a banana and puts it back, and then makes his way to the tobacco section at the front of the store.
At the counter, Mr. Floyd can be seen offering the teenage clerk, Christopher Martin, a $20 bill in exchange for a pack of cigarettes. Mr. Martin said he quickly realized the bill was counterfeit; the blue pigmentation gave it away, he testified. For one brief moment, Mr. Martin thought to let it go and put it on his own tab — the store’s policy was that fake money would be deducted from the paycheck of the employee who accepted it, he said. But then he changed his mind.
Editors’ Picks
Brandi Carlile Has Always Seen Herself Clearly. Now It’s Our Turn.
They Are Giving Hemingway Another Look, So You Can, Too
In a Role Reversal, Asian-Americans Aim to Protect Their Parents From Hate

ADVERTISEMENT

He told his manager, who sent him after Mr. Floyd. But after Mr. Floyd refused to come back in, another employee called the police.
The situation quickly escalated when an officer approached Mr. Floyd with his gun drawn. Mr. Floyd was pulled out of his car, as seen in disturbing body camera footage played in court on Wednesday, and police officers struggled to get him to stay in the back of a police car. Mr. Chauvin and two other officers eventually pinned him to the pavement.
Mr. Martin became emotional in court when shown surveillance video of him standing outside the store, clutching his head as Mr. Chauvin knelt on Mr. Floyd’s neck.
“Disbelief and guilt,” he said of what he thought at that moment. “If I would have just not taken the bill, this could have been avoided.”

Charles McMillian, who witnessed the fatal arrest, is seen in a still image from court video. After he broke down while testifying, prosecutors consoled him during a recess.Credit...Court TV still image, via Associated Press
Mr. McMillian, the 61-year-old witness, had pulled over his minivan when he saw officers detaining Mr. Floyd to get a closer look at what was going on. Video footage of the arrest showed Mr. McMillian urging Mr. Floyd to stop resisting. As a clip played in court of Mr. Floyd screaming for his mother as the officers held him down, Mr. McMillian dropped his head and sobbed. He took off his glasses, pulled several tissues from a box and began to wipe his eyes.
The Trial of Derek Chauvin ›
Latest Updates
Updated
April 1, 2021, 3:14 a.m. ET5 hours ago
5 hours ago

The judge called an abrupt recess.
Rodney Floyd, one of Mr. Floyd’s brothers, was also in the courtroom on Wednesday. He dropped his head and shook it as the graphic video played while Mr. McMillian was testifying. During the recess, after Mr. McMillian broke down, Rodney Floyd sat in the hallway in tears, while prosecutors nearby consoled Mr. McMillian and helped him regain his composure so he could resume his testimony.
ADVERTISEMENT

Later in the day, toward the end of testimony, footage from Mr. Chauvin’s body camera, seen publicly for the first time on Wednesday, showed Mr. McMillian and Mr. Chauvin talking after an ambulance took Mr. Floyd away.
Understand the Trial of Derek Chauvin

“We got to control this guy because he’s a sizable guy, and it looks like he’s probably on something,” Mr. Chauvin told Mr. McMillian.
Later, Mr. McMillian told Mr. Chauvin, “You have a good night, you go home safe to your family and let other people do the same.”
Miles away from the courtroom, the toll of Wednesday’s testimony could also be felt. Customers and employees inside Cup Foods put their shopping and working on pause to watch the trial on a television mounted above an A.T.M.

Customers and employees at Cup Foods watched the televised trial. Credit...Aaron Nesheim for The New York Times
“This is the first time I’ve seen this footage — it was seized the morning after,” said Mike Abumayyaleh, who owns Cup Foods along with his brothers.
As they served up wings and gyros during the lunchtime rush, clerks kept an eye on the television. Some cried during Mr. McMillian’s testimony.
ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s too much,” one of the clerks said.
Billy Abumayyaleh, one of the owners, said his son, a clerk, then 14, was seen in the surveillance video that was played in court. He has not had his son back working at the store since Mr. Floyd’s death.
“He’s at home watching now,” he said. “He’s traumatized. We all are.”
The proceedings seemed to be a struggle even for the jurors.
Mr. Martin’s testimony in the morning had to be abruptly halted when one of the jurors fell ill. After a 20-minute break, the juror took the stand without the other jurors in the courtroom. She explained to Judge Peter A. Cahill that she had suffered what the judge called a “stress-related reaction.”
“I’m shaky, but better,” the juror said, explaining that she had been having trouble sleeping and had been awake since 2 a.m.
The juror, a white woman in her 50s, had been identified during jury selection as a health care nonprofit executive and a single mother of two. When asked during jury selection if the police treated Black people and white people equally, she said no and added of Mr. Floyd, “He didn’t deserve to die.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Takeaways from the third day of the Derek Chauvin trial.
March 31, 2021, 6:27 p.m. ETMarch 31, 2021
March 31, 2021
By Will Wright
Video

TRANSCRIPT

0:00/3:47
Chauvin Trial: Day 3 Key Moments
On the third day of the Derek Chauvin trial, the jury learned more about what had happened inside Cup Foods before the police were called, and body camera footage from the officers was presented.
“Do you swear or affirm under penalty of perjury that the testimony you’re about to give is the truth, and nothing but the truth?” “I do.” “Have a seat.” “Please. Thank you. And so when we’re looking, I’m going to have you identify this individual here —” “George Floyd.” “And that’s Mr. Floyd, who you had the conversation with.” “Correct.” “All right. And then this individual right in here. Who’s that?” “That’s me.” “All right.” “Can you describe for the jurors, you know, generally what his demeanor was like — what was his condition like?” “So when I asked him if he played baseball, he went on to respond to that. But it kind of took him a little long to get to what he was trying to say. So it would appear that he was high.” “So you just had some signs that you thought he was under the influence of something?” “Yes.” “All right. But were you able to carry on at least some conversation with him?” “Yes.” “And did you eventually sell him something?” “Yes.” “That was what?” “The cigarette.” “Now, freeze it here. I’m sorry, I said I was going to let it run, but we saw you holding something up. Can you describe it? And again, for the record, this is 7:45:10 — describe for the jurors what you were doing there.” “I was holding up the $20 bill that I just received.” “And is that something you always do or something about this?” “No, when I saw the bill, I noticed that it had a blue pigment to it, kind of how a $100 bill would have. And I found that odd. So I assumed that it was fake.” “I know this is difficult. Can you just explain sort of what you’re feeling in this moment?” “I can’t. I feel helpless. I don’t have a mama either, but I understand him ...” [sobbing] “Let’s see your hands. Stay in the car. Let me see your other hand.” “I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” “Let me see your other hand.” “Please, please ...” “Both hands.” “Put your hands up right now.” “Let me see your other hand.” “What’d I do, though?” “Put your hand up there. Put your hand up there. Keep your hands on the wheel. Hands on the wheel. Step out and face away.” “Please don’t shoot me.” Please don’t shoot me, man.” “Step out and face away.” “Can you not shoot me, man?” “I’m not shooting. Step out and face away.” “OK, OK. Please ...” “You can’t win.” “I’m not trying to win.” “Don’t get in a car. Don’t do me like that, man. OK, can I talk to you, please?”

00:00

3:47

3:47Chauvin Trial: Day 3 Key Moments
On the third day of the Derek Chauvin trial, the jury learned more about what had happened inside Cup Foods before the police were called, and body camera footage from the officers was presented.CreditCredit...Still Image, via Court TV

The grief and guilt of witnesses have been center stage throughout the first three days of the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer accused of killing George Floyd. On Wednesday, the judge temporarily halted the proceedings after a 61-year-old witness broke down in sobs as he recounted his memory of Mr. Floyd’s arrest.
The witness, Charles McMillian, was among several who have spoken through tears on the witness stand. Jurors also heard on Wednesday from Christopher Martin, the 19-year-old Cup Foods employee who first confronted Mr. Floyd about the apparently fake $20 bill that he used to buy cigarettes. Here are Wednesday’s highlights.
  • If there were any doubts that witnesses of Mr. Floyd’s arrest have been traumatized by what they saw, those suspicions were dispelled on Wednesday. A major focal point of the trial so far has been the scars that the events of May 25 have left on those who were there. The prosecution has used their stories — and the raw emotion that has come with them — to underscore the case they are building against Mr. Chauvin through videos of Mr. Floyd’s arrest. Witnesses have repeatedly said that they believed that Mr. Floyd was in grave danger. And they have shared feelings of helplessness. It is almost always a crime to interfere with officers as they make an arrest, and several witnesses testified that they have struggled with being stuck just feet away from a man who they knew was dying, with no way to help.
  • The testimony of Mr. Martin, the Cup Foods cashier, gave jurors, for the first time, a clearer understanding of what happened in the store before Mr. Floyd’s arrest. Video footage from the store showed Mr. Floyd walking around and chatting with other shoppers before buying cigarettes. Mr. Martin said he quickly recognized that Mr. Floyd’s $20 bill appeared to be fake. At the urging of his boss, Mr. Martin went outside and asked Mr. Floyd to pay or to come in and talk to the manager. Mr. Floyd refused, and eventually a manager asked another employee to call the police.
  • Mr. Martin told the court that he felt “disbelief and guilt” when he saw Mr. Chauvin kneeling on Mr. Floyd. He had initially planned to replace the fake $20 bill with a real one of his own, but then changed his mind and told the manager what happened. Had he not taken the bill from Mr. Floyd in the first place, “this could have been avoided,” he said.
  • Jurors also watched the arrest from the perspective of the police officers’ body cameras. The footage showed officers confronting Mr. Floyd with their weapons drawn as he sat in a car. “Please don’t shoot me,” Mr. Floyd said, crying. Later, officers struggled to put a distressed Mr. Floyd in the back of a police vehicle. Mr. Floyd told them repeatedly that he was claustrophobic and scared, and officers continued to try to force him into the cruiser. Though Mr. Floyd was clearly distraught, he never appeared to pose a threat to the officers. As they pinned him to the ground next to the vehicle, the body cameras captured the words that reverberated around the world last summer: “I can’t breathe.” After a few minutes, Mr. Floyd went silent. “I think he’s passed out,” one officer said. When another officer told Mr. Chauvin that he couldn’t find Mr. Floyd’s pulse, Mr. Chauvin appeared unmoved.
  • With the body camera footage, the jurors are seeing the arrest of Mr. Floyd from every possible angle. Videos from the viewpoint of the officers are particularly jarring. From the beginning of the interaction, Mr. Floyd appeared not as a threat, but as someone who was scared and helpless. It also shows that officers took no action to address Mr. Floyd’s medical condition as he went limp.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Clerk Who Questioned $20 Bill Watched Floyd Arrest With ‘Disbelief and Guilt’
During the third day of Derek Chauvin’s trial, witness after witness agonized over whether they could have done anything to stop what would eventually happen to George Floyd.

In a still image from video inside Cup Foods, George Floyd is seen on the day he died in police custody.Credit...Court TV still image, via Associated Press
By John Eligon, Shaila Dewan, Tim Arango and Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs
Published March 31, 2021Updated April 1, 2021, 4:10 a.m. ET

MINNEAPOLIS — He chatted with a store clerk about playing football. He grabbed a banana off a shelf, flipped through a wad of cash, and hugged and exchanged pleasantries with a woman, laughing with his hand on her back.
In surveillance footage played for the first time in a Minneapolis courtroom on Wednesday, the world got to see George Floyd as it never had before: He was just another customer in a corner store that he liked to frequent.
Within half an hour, Mr. Floyd would be handcuffed and face down on the pavement outside of Cup Foods, calling out for his mother as a police officer pressed his knee into Mr. Floyd’s neck. Roughly two hours after he walked into the store he was dead.
On the third day of testimony in the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former police officer charged with murdering Mr. Floyd, a clearer picture emerged of the events preceding Mr. Floyd’s death, with witness after witness agonizing over whether they could have done anything to stop what would soon unfold.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 19-year-old clerk who served Mr. Floyd at the corner store that day wondered whether the death was his fault because he had reported that Mr. Floyd used a fake $20 bill. A 61-year-old man who saw the police pinning Mr. Floyd to the ground shook his head and held back tears as a video of the brutal arrest played. He collapsed on the witness stand, sobbing. “I can’t help but feel helpless,” said the man, Charles McMillian. “I don’t have a mama either, but I understand him.”

“If I would have just not taken the bill, this could have been avoided,” testified the store’s teenage clerk, who had told his manager that Mr. Floyd paid with a counterfeit bill.Credit...Aaron Nesheim for The New York Times
Mr. Floyd’s death last May left a trail of agony for the people who were part of the unfolding tragedy — the weight of what they had witnessed plain to see in the form of tears, long pauses and deep breaths during their testimony.
It all began casually at the corner store. In the surveillance footage, Mr. Floyd is seen pacing the aisles, speaking with other customers and workers. He goes from one end to the next, accidentally knocks over a banana and puts it back, and then makes his way to the tobacco section at the front of the store.
At the counter, Mr. Floyd can be seen offering the teenage clerk, Christopher Martin, a $20 bill in exchange for a pack of cigarettes. Mr. Martin said he quickly realized the bill was counterfeit; the blue pigmentation gave it away, he testified. For one brief moment, Mr. Martin thought to let it go and put it on his own tab — the store’s policy was that fake money would be deducted from the paycheck of the employee who accepted it, he said. But then he changed his mind.
Editors’ Picks
Brandi Carlile Has Always Seen Herself Clearly. Now It’s Our Turn.
They Are Giving Hemingway Another Look, So You Can, Too
In a Role Reversal, Asian-Americans Aim to Protect Their Parents From Hate

ADVERTISEMENT

He told his manager, who sent him after Mr. Floyd. But after Mr. Floyd refused to come back in, another employee called the police.
The situation quickly escalated when an officer approached Mr. Floyd with his gun drawn. Mr. Floyd was pulled out of his car, as seen in disturbing body camera footage played in court on Wednesday, and police officers struggled to get him to stay in the back of a police car. Mr. Chauvin and two other officers eventually pinned him to the pavement.
Mr. Martin became emotional in court when shown surveillance video of him standing outside the store, clutching his head as Mr. Chauvin knelt on Mr. Floyd’s neck.
“Disbelief and guilt,” he said of what he thought at that moment. “If I would have just not taken the bill, this could have been avoided.”

Charles McMillian, who witnessed the fatal arrest, is seen in a still image from court video. After he broke down while testifying, prosecutors consoled him during a recess.Credit...Court TV still image, via Associated Press
Mr. McMillian, the 61-year-old witness, had pulled over his minivan when he saw officers detaining Mr. Floyd to get a closer look at what was going on. Video footage of the arrest showed Mr. McMillian urging Mr. Floyd to stop resisting. As a clip played in court of Mr. Floyd screaming for his mother as the officers held him down, Mr. McMillian dropped his head and sobbed. He took off his glasses, pulled several tissues from a box and began to wipe his eyes.
The Trial of Derek Chauvin ›
Latest Updates
Updated
April 1, 2021, 3:14 a.m. ET5 hours ago
5 hours ago

The judge called an abrupt recess.
Rodney Floyd, one of Mr. Floyd’s brothers, was also in the courtroom on Wednesday. He dropped his head and shook it as the graphic video played while Mr. McMillian was testifying. During the recess, after Mr. McMillian broke down, Rodney Floyd sat in the hallway in tears, while prosecutors nearby consoled Mr. McMillian and helped him regain his composure so he could resume his testimony.
ADVERTISEMENT

Later in the day, toward the end of testimony, footage from Mr. Chauvin’s body camera, seen publicly for the first time on Wednesday, showed Mr. McMillian and Mr. Chauvin talking after an ambulance took Mr. Floyd away.
Understand the Trial of Derek Chauvin

“We got to control this guy because he’s a sizable guy, and it looks like he’s probably on something,” Mr. Chauvin told Mr. McMillian.
Later, Mr. McMillian told Mr. Chauvin, “You have a good night, you go home safe to your family and let other people do the same.”
Miles away from the courtroom, the toll of Wednesday’s testimony could also be felt. Customers and employees inside Cup Foods put their shopping and working on pause to watch the trial on a television mounted above an A.T.M.

Customers and employees at Cup Foods watched the televised trial. Credit...Aaron Nesheim for The New York Times
“This is the first time I’ve seen this footage — it was seized the morning after,” said Mike Abumayyaleh, who owns Cup Foods along with his brothers.
As they served up wings and gyros during the lunchtime rush, clerks kept an eye on the television. Some cried during Mr. McMillian’s testimony.
ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s too much,” one of the clerks said.
Billy Abumayyaleh, one of the owners, said his son, a clerk, then 14, was seen in the surveillance video that was played in court. He has not had his son back working at the store since Mr. Floyd’s death.
“He’s at home watching now,” he said. “He’s traumatized. We all are.”
The proceedings seemed to be a struggle even for the jurors.
Mr. Martin’s testimony in the morning had to be abruptly halted when one of the jurors fell ill. After a 20-minute break, the juror took the stand without the other jurors in the courtroom. She explained to Judge Peter A. Cahill that she had suffered what the judge called a “stress-related reaction.”
“I’m shaky, but better,” the juror said, explaining that she had been having trouble sleeping and had been awake since 2 a.m.
The juror, a white woman in her 50s, had been identified during jury selection as a health care nonprofit executive and a single mother of two. When asked during jury selection if the police treated Black people and white people equally, she said no and added of Mr. Floyd, “He didn’t deserve to die.”

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That blaming the crowd defense is bullshit.
Crowd didn't get vocal till George was dead

Right they acting like this was a large, crazed enraged mob....

shiiiiit from watching the footage initially last year...I assumed it was a bigger crowd....But it was only like 7-8 people and their reactions only demonstrated humanity, concern, and frustration at watching a man being MURDERED in front of them.

Just watched Genevieve Hansen on the stand...she was a GREAT witness

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Welp, the fix is in. Tell me how his record of using force against arrestees is not relevant or admissible?

"So while police department records show 18 complaints filed against Chauvin over the course of his 19-year career with Minneapolis police, just one will be introduced at trial."

:smh:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Welp, the fix is in. Tell me how his record of using force against arrestees is not relevant or admissible?

"So while police department records show 18 complaints filed against Chauvin over the course of his 19-year career with Minneapolis police, just one will be introduced at trial."

:smh:

I saw that headline on CNN. But they can use George Floyd’s history?

How is this even real? :confused:

Imagine if a rapists has a history of raping people, but that rapists history can’t be used in court?

That’s why I’m not watching, it’s some of the dumbest shit ever.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dorsey is really giving good perspective on this.

Was Floyd being extra and a Dick. 100% absolutely he was. I get that you probably don't want to be dealing with that shit but if you a cop, shit is apart of their jobs. At that point you think these CAC would have used simple logic?

Me: Man this nigga trippin. Look, I don't have time and refuse to put energy behind trying to bring someone in on this weak as charge. Uncuff the nigga and send him on his way.

CAC: This is the perfect opportunity we been waiting for. Lets torture and kills the negro.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
I saw that headline on CNN. But they can use George Floyd’s history?

How is this even real? :confused:

Imagine if a rapists has a history of raping people, but that rapists history can’t be used in court?

That’s why I’m not watching, it’s some of the dumbest shit ever.

The judge decides how much will be allowed. Amazingly, when the defendant is Black they go back to their days in the crib; but when the defendant is white, well, only up until yesterday.

I've seen articles talking about chauvin is the one on trial, not the justice system and I say that's total bullshit. The "justice" system should be on trial in EVERY trial that has a black participant.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
166313307_296341698521744_4595866285854944746_n.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Day 4 - George Floyd’s Girlfriend Talks About Their Relationship

Day 4 - Police Officer Testifies Against Chauvin

Day 4 - Paramedic Gives Chilling Testimony Against Chauvin

TheAlias

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
if he get off there will be
200.gif

And I bet that shithole Cup Foods will remain untouched. I swear black folks need to be more strategic with their anger.

What white folks do: Kill Martin, Kill Malcom, Kill the leaders, flood the area with drugs and lull blacks into generations of complacency.

What blacks do: Burn their own neighborhoods when only the most egregious things happen.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
And I bet that shithole Cup Foods will remain untouched. I swear black folks need to be more strategic with their anger.

What white folks do: Kill Martin, Kill Malcom, Kill the leaders, flood the area with drugs and lull blacks into generations of complacency.

What blacks do: Burn their own neighborhoods when only the most egregious things happen.

You are not burning down the neighborhood.

You can’t burn down what you don’t own.

The shit that gets burned is property owned by folks who don’t live in the community and suck the money out of the community and don’t put the money back into it.

You ain’t losing anything if it ain’t doing nothing for you.

There is no Revolution without Sacrifice.