Gay agenda: Disney's "Finding Dory" possibly Lesbians, folks want Elsa of Frozen to have girlfriend

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
:smh::smh::smh:

‘Finding Dory’s Lesbian Couple And How Disney Keeps Failing Its LGBT Fans

48853727.cached.jpg

The much-discussed, potentially lesbian couple in Finding Dory is only onscreen for a moment. There are no clues about their sexual identity, not even a subtle Pixar-style wink for the adults who will dutifully accompany their children to this latest computer-animated fish fest. For a few seconds, we see two women with slightly differing hair lengths walking together in a park, and then they’re gone.

We’ll apparently never know if they were Disney’s first same-sex couple or not. WhenUSA Today pressed the film’s co-director Andrew Stanton for a clear answer on Wednesday, he coyly replied: “They can be whatever you want them to be. There’s no right or wrong answer.” A producer added, “We never asked them.”

It’s ironic but also sadly fitting that their appearance in the film ended up being brief and ambiguous after so much internet speculation. This entire affair—from the progressive, #GiveElsaAGirlfriend-inspired call for LGBT characters in a Disney film to the predictable conservative parade-rainingthat followed—has been a master class in femme lesbian invisibility.

The truth is when you’re a woman in a relationship with another woman and neither of you present in a particularly butch way, recognition is rare and fleeting. No one really knows whether you’re gay or not, much like the hotly-contested Finding Dory duo. As a woman in such a couple, I can’t honestly say that I was looking to a Finding Nemo sequel for personal recognition, but it’s disappointing nonetheless that Pixar won’t just come out and say they’re partners. And it borders on insulting to hear the filmmakers use the ambiguity of relationships like mine, however unwittingly, as a way to avoid controversy.

Stanton’s “whatever you want them to be” comment is the safest possible response, and a somewhat cowardly one in the year 2016. Essentially, he’s leaving room open for progressive viewers to label the couple as lesbian while also giving permission to everyone else to see them the same way my partner and I are so often perceived: as a couple of “gal pals” out for a stroll. The characters are truly Schrödinger’s lesbians, gay and straight at once, all things to all viewers.

That’s a lot like how my partner and I are seen depending on the social context. When my partner of three years had short hair, restaurant servers would instinctively bring us one check a lot more frequently than they do now that she has grown it out. A stranger in a grocery store once asked us if we were “sisters” when he spotted us holding hands and, after we said “no,” he logically deduced that we must be “best friends.” Some people we interact with still refer to us as “roommates” even after we explicitly tell them that we are partners—not business partners, full-on sleeping-with-each-other partners. Sometimes it feels like we could make out in a crowded elevator and people would still think we’re just BFFs.

Generally speaking, we are friends until proven lovers, in the same way that the fleeting Finding Dory couple will probably be perceived as platonic unless the filmmakers can fess up to some authorial intent.

The Finding Dory creators could have just said, “Yes, they’re gay,” or “No, they’re not,” and dealt with the internet’s inevitable outrage in either event. We would all drown in a deluge of thinkpieces and/or Facebook posts from our homophobic relatives, sure, but at least this drawn-out-controversy about four seconds of film would finally be over.

Instead, by trying so fastidiously to offend no one and please everyone, Stanton and crew relying on the uncertainty that surrounds femme-femme relationships to leave themselves some plausible deniability. It’s an artful dodge in the form of an appeal to viewer interpretation: They’re only gay if you want them to be gay! Lesbianism is in the eye of the beholder!

In so doing, the Finding Dory team also gets to recuse themselves from commenting publicly on Disney’s disappointing lack of LGBT representation. GLAAD recently gave the studio a “failing” grade for having zero LGBT characters across all 11 of their 2015 films. Those low marks preceded particularly loud calls for gay characters in Star Wars, for a steamy Captain America and Bucky Barnesromance, and, of course, for Frozen’s Elsa tofall for another lady. Disney has a long history of subtly coding its villains as queer, but an obvious, out same-sex couple in a Disney Pixar film—even one that appears for just a few seconds—would still be groundbreaking.

If it seems silly to care about the sexual orientation of two computer-generated characters that are onscreen for the duration of a sneeze, it’s not. It only speaks to how starved LGBT people have been for representation by a company that is at the heart of American pop culture, and to how invested we are in Disney in spite of it all.

As The Daily Beast’s Kevin Fallon wrote in connection to the #GiveElsaAGirlfriend campaign, “When you grow up gay, or wondering if you might be gay, you search for yourself in any way you can in these tenets of pop culture that become integral parts of your childhood.”

Disney’s LGBT fans, as Fallon observed, have a long history of seeing reflections of themselves in the studio’s protagonists and its villains: the deliciously perverse Ursula, the big-eared outcast Dumbo, the might-as-well-be-gay-married Timon and Pumbaa. I grew up with that generation of Disney characters. Now, it doesn’t matter that much to me on a personal level whether or not my partner and I see a reflection of our femme-femme relationship in a movie about cartoon fish looking for each other.

But the next wave of young Disney fans, as efforts like #GiveElsaAGirlfriend and#GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend prove, is not going to be content hunting for representational scraps in movies without overtly LGBT characters. For them, it doesn’t bode well that the Finding Dory director can’t even confirm whether or not a couple is lesbian and is essentially asking LGBT viewers to, once again, see themselves where they are not openly acknowledged.

“They can be whatever you want them to be” might work this time, but not for long.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
#GiveElsaAGirlfriend And Disney’s Super Gay, Super Troublesome History

48749170.cached.jpg

You need not walk into Marie’s Crisis to hear a charming West Village bachelor belt “Part of Your World,” or eavesdrop on a brunch conversation ranking the best cartoon villains over mimosas, to understand the profound connection the gay community has to the catalog of Disney animated films.

It seems silly to single out one particular demographic’s affinity, given the fiercenostalgic fondness most adults have for wisecracking candlesticks, singing crustaceans, and lion cubs growing up to be mighty kings.

But for a community whose childhoods are so often defined by being “a funny girl…different from the rest of us” and wondering “when will my reflection show who I am inside?”, the messaging, the whimsical escape, and, for the love of Minnie, the camp of it all made theHouse of Mouse a safe space.

#GiveElsaAGirlfriend Wants Disney To Out Elsa From 'Frozen' As LGBTQ
A social media campaign is calling for the leader in children's movies to give kids an LGBTQ role model.
Of course for all the erstwhile gayness of these animated musicals, they’re equally problematic. Gay panic, stereotypes, closeting, and equating homosexuality with perversion pervades these films just as much as any celebration of otherness or flamboyance.

Mulan may be rejecting societal expectations and exercising her freedom to marry whomever she loves, but try to watch the effeminate young Pinocchio’s fretting over not knowing how to act like “a real boy” through the prism of queer anxiety. Mickey Mouse isn’t quite marshalling any gay pride parades yet.

So it’s a heartwarming evolution that the youngest students of the magical world of Disney have come to both embrace its subversiveness without settling for its regressiveness.

This week a young teen activist launched aTwitter campaign to make Disney princess Elsa a lesbian in the upcoming Frozen sequel. “The entertainment industry has given us girls who have fallen in love with beasts, ogres who fall for humans, and even grown women who love bees,” Alexis Isabel Moncada wrote in an article for MTV. “But we’ve never been able to see the purity in a queer relationship.”

Her initial tweet—“I hope Disney makes Elsa a lesbian princess imagine how iconic that would be”—has since exploded into a Twitter campaign. The hashtag #GiveElsaAGirlfriend quickly went viral, with fans encouraging Disney to include a LGBT-inclusive plotline to speak for a generation yearning to not just surmise subtle themes that speak to their community, but let those themes literally sing.

It fits that Frozen would be the film to make this groundbreaking move, with its messaging that “love is an open door” and incredibly progressive ending: when an act of true love is required to break a curse, it’s not a Prince Charming whose kiss saves Princess Anna; it’s the love of her sister, Elsa.

And then there’s Elsa herself, whose entire story arc has been interpreted by some as a metaphor for being in the closet.

She has special powers that make her unique and powerful but, fearing them, she stifles them and retreats to an isolated castle. It’s only after she lets down her guard and unleashes those powers—discovering she won’t just be accepted, but celebrated for them—that she comes into her own. “Let It Go” isn’t just an Oscar-winning hit. It’s a gay anthem.

Of course, it should be no surprise that there are those who want this Twitter campaign to be frozen in its tracks—proving that Frozen’s pro-gayness might be as complicated as Disney’s history with the idea, in general.

It’s an extension of the controversy that bubbled when Frozen originally was released in 2014, when conservative parents warned that the film was homosexual propaganda. According to the contingent, which was led by a mom who writes a blog titled “A Well-Behaved Mormon Woman,” Disney was brainwashing its impressionable young fans into supporting the “normalization of same-sex sexual behavior.”

Pastor and right-wing radio host Kevin Swanson echoed these concerns: “If I was the Devil, what would I do to really foul up an entire social system and do something really, really, really evil to five- and six- and seven-year-olds around America? I would buy Disney.”

Various interpretations of Disney’s history hint that the Devil’s been pulling the strings for a while.

While no film or character has been as explicitly imbued with LGBT themes asFrozen and Elsa, a certain gayness is sprinkled through many Disney movies like fairy dust—heh—having a profound effect on gay fans. Equally profound, however, is the silencing: Just as often as characters are encouraged to let their freak flags fly, they are scolded not to do it so flamboyantly.

Mulan, for example, could be seen as a genderfluid icon, with “Reflection” as much of an anthem for those who feel they’ve been born into the wrong bodies as “Let It Go” is one for embracing homosexuality.

Mulan also rejects societal norms as far as gender roles go, deciding to dress as a boy and go to war rather than stay at home and succumb to the female beauty norms that she felt uncomfortable with and wait for the Matchmaker to find her a match.

And eschewing conventional forms of matchmaking and traditional marriage in general pervades many other Disney films. Jasmine refuses to marry the suitors that are chosen and paraded in front of her by her father, Belle gives the middle finger to Gaston’s proposal, and Ariel defies her father’s wishes to marry an entirely different species.

It’s not exactly Elsa having a girlfriend, but, asAkash Nikolas wrote in The Atlantic, “Disney films usually offer a traditional happy ending with a heterosexual marriage, the journey always involves rejecting parental and societal expectations, and exercising a ‘freedom to marry whomever you love’ spirit that is endemic to gay rights.” And, hey, that’s something!

Then there are the characters who become queer icons. It’s common knowledge now that the character of Ursula in The Little Mermaid was modeled after legendary drag performer Divine.

But Ursula’s embrace of her sexuality is branded perverse, shamed as evil. She’s used alternately for comedic effect and to have young audience members cowering in fear. Ursula is a beacon of queerness, and because of her unabashed reveling in those traits, branded as immoral—perhaps making it no surprise that the LGBT community feels a certain fondness and kinship for her.

And while there’s no denying the power in closeted young Disney fans questioning or recognizing or simply being exposed to characters who present as gay, that these characters are typically lonely and almost always evil might counteract that value.

The Lion King’s Scar, Hercules’s Hades,Pocahontas’s Ratcliffe, Aladdin’s Jafar: these are all characters who are “coded gay,” meaning that they exhibit traits that are clues to their homosexuality, but not explicitly acknowledged as so because they exist in communities and cultures that consider gayness to be depraved.

These characters, as my colleague Samantha Allen points out in this excellent piece on Disney and gayness, are feminized as a tool to clue us into their evilness, no doubt an extension of the once prevalent idea that children should stay away from effeminate gay men, who are either perverts or out to enlist you in their moral depravity.

Scar, with his limp-hand gesturing and sardonic wryness, makes a self-aware joke about how he’s going to “practice his curtsy,” eliciting an eye-roll from Zazu: “There’s one in every family—two in mine, actually.” Hades, were he not getting in the way of Meg and Hercules’s true love, would be Meg’s sassy gay best friend: swilling Cosmos and telling his girlfriend that men are pigs not worthgetting all worked up over. And helloooooooRatcliffe’s wardrobe.

Sure, we all enjoy these characters—the villains are always the best ones—but there’s a naughtiness you indulge in when celebrating them. Should indulging in your gay instincts really be naughty?

Perhaps that’s why, for years and years before Elsa ever “Let It Go” and Frozen cast off these subtle messages of embracing gayness, Disney actually subtly encouraged staying in the closet.

As Allen again points out, Disney history is ripe with intimate male-male relationships that could be analyzed as slyly homosexual, but each condemned with homophobic humor any time that relationship might overtly present itself.

Take life partners Timon and Pumbaa, for example, who recoil in disgust at an accidental gay kiss. Or when the Genie inAladdin finally acknowledges, as Nikolas calls it, the “queer undercurrent” of his relationship with Aladdin, saying, “I’m getting kinda fond of you kid…” it’s immediately dismissed in a fit of gay panic: “Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything.”

When you grow up gay, or wondering if you might be gay, you search for yourself in any way you can in these tenets of pop culture that become integral parts of your childhood, which are highly influential in the person you become and the attitudes you have about certain morals. It’s not just gay people who do this. We all do; it’s just harder for some of us to see ourselves.

We see ourselves in the outcasts, those who are different. Dumbo, with his big ears, or Pinocchio, who doesn’t share the same human makeup as the rest of the kids, physically manifest the otherness we feel inside. We empathize with Peter Pan’s desire to stay in Neverland and Mowgli’s hesitance to leave the jungle. It’s where they feel safe and accepted. Who knows how their uniqueness would be treated in the real world?

And wouldn’t it be nice to see ourselves without undercurrents of shame? That’s why #GiveElsaAGirlfriend has exploded.

It’s unlikely that Disney will rewrite its script to cater to a hashtag campaign, with Frozen 2already in production, but how nice for there to be a movement for LGBT inclusiveness in contrast to the typical situation: the boycott.

Holy cow, what an insanely huge thing it would be for a Disney Princess to be a lesbian—an outward, open one, not just an assumed one. Disney’s questionable history with gayness could be its positive future.

And besides, it’s high time for Timon and Pumbaa to make honest men out of each other already.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Not pretending gay people don't exist isn't some gay agenda.

Pretending gay people don't exist is a closeted agenda.

Homosexuality is natural-- literally, it occurs in nature with other species-- and the stories of gay people should be told like any others. Kids with gay family members or gay inclinations benefit from seeing characters who share that orientation.

If every sight or slight inclusion of homosexuality is a problem for you, it's probably reflective of a problem you have with yourself.

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
this shit again, how many times is this thread gone be made?

who cares?

and damn aint these movies made for lil kids, let them grow up and make up their own minds first

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lots of folk, for reasons they probably don't understand and will never acknowledge.

Doesn't that require no heterosexual relationships in kids movies, logically?

its all about the change of the times then huh

guess transgender cartoons is next

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Never saw it just heard about it, yesterday when I was telling my gurl about how I felt about the pussifcation that's going on...

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Not pretending gay people don't exist isn't some gay agenda.

Pretending gay people don't exist is a closeted agenda.

Homosexuality is natural-- literally, it occurs in nature with other species-- and the stories of gay people should be told like any others. Kids with gay family members or gay inclinations benefit from seeing characters who share that orientation.

If every sight or slight inclusion of homosexuality is a problem for you, it's probably reflective of a problem you have with yourself.
4% of the population identifies as gay - 4%!
Blacks are over 12% and Hispanics even higher but still left out of most stories but gay people need to be in everything including children's shows?...
the hypocrisy

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
please stop lying.

Man, you've accused me of lying before. You need to stop that. I'm wrong sometimes but you shouldn't just dismiss it as lying.

I think I can easily prove this one. Not tonight, but next time on BGOL definitely. I'm pretty sure you're wrong but I'll attribute that to ignorance, not dishonesty.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
diseased cunts want to ruin everything....

Man I don't have a problem with or what the next person like or love...

Why does it has to be flaunted, broadcasted etc...

I'm walking thru walmart with my lil lil Michael Jackson mama, she asked me why that man have makeup on and looking at women clothes...

A fucking 6yr old...

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
4% of the population identifies as gay - 4%!
Blacks are over 12% and Hispanics even higher but still left out of most stories but gay people need to be in everything including children's shows?...
the hypocrisy

I think the percentage of people who acknowledge being gay is higher than that. Still, 1 in 20 is far from meaningless. And we can't quantify the repressed types, working in every field from priests to plumbers.

The answer to black people being treated unequally is not less equal treatment for other minority groups. The answer is greater representation for blacks and at least some for gays.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
remove all sexuality from children's stuff.
i am 100% ok with that.

Props for not being a hypocrite.

I disagree-- if you think about it, you're saying no romance in any kids stories (there should be less but not none IMO)-- but at least you're not applying a double standard where the kind of romance you want for your kid is fine and anything different is being shoved down somebody's throat.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Man I don't have a problem with or what the next person like or love...

Why does it has to be flaunted, broadcasted etc...

I'm walking thru walmart with my lil lil Michael Jackson mama, she asked me why that man have makeup on and looking at women clothes...

A fucking 6yr old...

Did Aladdin flaunt heterosexuality? Beauty & the Beast? The Lion King?

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
Man, you've accused me of lying before. You need to stop that. I'm wrong sometimes but you shouldn't just dismiss it as lying.

I think I can easily prove this one. Not tonight, but next time on BGOL definitely. I'm pretty sure you're wrong but I'll attribute that to ignorance, not dishonesty.
fuck your feelings. when you've been proven wrong, KNOW you were wrong, but tell the same story, its LYING, not INACCURACY.

animals have never been observed in homosexual acts, because the term exclusively describes human behavior. its disingenuous to describe animal behavior with terminology that dismisses their ANIMAL nature.

keep that shit out of movies i'm showing my kids.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
fuck your feelings. when you've been proven wrong, KNOW you were wrong, but tell the same story, its LYING, not INACCURACY.

animals have never been observed in homosexual acts, because the term exclusively describes human behavior. its disingenuous to describe animal behavior with terminology that dismisses their ANIMAL nature.

keep that shit out of movies i'm showing my kids.

How are homosexual acts exclusively human? Explain how it is impossible for the action of a male dog fucking another male dog to be homosexual.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Props for not being a hypocrite.

I disagree-- if you think about it, you're saying no romance in any kids stories (there should be less but not none IMO)-- but at least you're not applying a double standard where the kind of romance you want for your kid is fine and anything different is being shoved down somebody's throat.

Togetherness is fine. No romantic stuff. Friendship goals and nothing else.

no more husband and wife or husband and husband or wife and wife.

no need to drive home points about differences which makes kids feel they NEED to identify with 1 thing or another.

make everything friendship based.

SEXUALITY has nothing to fucking do with the person you are character wise.
It is attraction/lust/sex
kids don't need to worry about that.
Let them watch movies where people from different backgrounds and economic classes in the forms of whatever it may be animals, humans, robots, monsters, get along for one common goal and most times being, equality and im all for it.

the goals need to be equality
or saving the world from an evil person who wants to destroy it
or something along those lines and im all for it.

no more love stories to plant ideas into kids heads about love either way.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered

no need to drive home points about differences which makes kids feel they NEED to identify with 1 thing or another.

Let them watch movies where people from different backgrounds and economic classes in the forms of whatever it may be animals, humans, robots, monsters, get along for one common goal and most times being, equality and im all for it.

I'm not 100% opposed to any love stories but you are a lot more right than wrong. And kids would be a lot better off if movie makers shared your vision.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I think the percentage of people who acknowledge being gay is higher than that. Still, 1 in 20 is far from meaningless. And we can't quantify the repressed types, working in every field from priests to plumbers.

The answer to black people being treated unequally is not less equal treatment for other minority groups. The answer is greater representation for blacks and at least some for gays.
no its 4%, transexual etc is lower
and its less than 1 in 20 (5%)- and yeah its meaningless population- by numbers they can't win an election outside of San Fran and DC, if they were in congress they would get 5 congressmen and a senator, if there wasn't a high concentration in entertainment and politics, guess what... we wouldn't hear a thing from them

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
How are homosexual acts exclusively human? Explain how it is impossible for the action of a male dog fucking another male dog to be homosexual.
ive seen dogs hunch tables. that doesnt make dogs tablesexuals. take your dumbass to google and look up the etemology of the word homosexual then tell me how that can be attributed to animals.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I'm not 100% opposed to any love stories but you are a lot more right than wrong. And kids would be a lot better off if movie makers shared your vision.

Love with the object being friendship is perfectly fine. Love alluding to sex should be a no go.
I love you because you are a kind person and what's on the surface doesn't define who you are as a person etc etc. familial we're all in this together love.
nothing alluding to sex or adult based romance.

finding nemo was one of the biggest and best cartoons pixar has ever done and it was familial

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
I don't normally check out of threads but mannn this shit, give a clear view to why some things are like they're

Bills on point post

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
ive seen dogs hunch tables. that doesnt make dogs tablesexuals. take your dumbass to google and look up the etemology of the word homosexual then tell me how that can be attributed to animals.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=homosexual+etymology#

The word homosexual is a Greek and Latin hybrid, with the first element derived from Greek ὁμός homos, "same" (not related to the Latin homo, "man", as in Homo sapiens), thus connoting sexual acts and affections between members of the same sex, including lesbianism.

Bitch, I tried to be nice but you need to stay the fuck in your lane.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
If we gonna play the evolve card.
then let's evolve. let's not slightly evolve lets fully evolve. instead of rehashing the same stories dealing with royalty create a new narrative for children to enjoy and love. cannot use the well kids like this or that. kids LEARN to like this or that. they are taught and shown images of prince and princess and growing up and getting married etc.
how many grown folks say they've been dreaming about this wedding since they were a kid..
it wasn't an idea they came up with on their own, they saw a show or a movie that made it look incredible, and it STAYED with them all the way to adult hood.

if you're shaping minds and you want to make a better world the message of every children's movie should be friendship based on being a good person and working together to achieve goals. shouldn't that be the driving force behind every single children's movie IF we really want our kids to evolve and be better than us?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
even the shitty bad characters in movies should always find redemption, turn their lives around and in the end choose to side with friendship and togetherness.
right?

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered

Wait what? No more Husband and Wife?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Wait what? No more Husband and Wife?

don't need it.
your household can provide its own narrative of how a person, 2 people or however you and your household choose to live, show adult love.
they can get it from you, be reinforced from you and you can have sole control over it.

in the movies they see in the theaters the only love is friendship love and they don't need parents to have adults in the movies.
if they're human kids at camp then a funny counselor can guide them and the sexual orientation of the counselor does not matter. what matters is the message of the counselor and the kids learning the lessons good movies teach

can go on and on

Pinocchio without the welder
just keep the fairy who grants the wish and the cricket
and teach kids a lesson about the dangers of lying
boom done.

i can do this all night.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
like gandolf being gay is completely an ADULT CONSTRUCT
children watching that didn't care if he had a man or a woman he was a dope ass wizard who helped them and always came through
OUR NEED to know who fictional characters are fucking is what makes the news.

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
Bitch, I tried to be nice but you need to stay the fuck in your lane.
the only bitch here is the one you look at in the mirror.

the word was invented in 1869 by Karl Kurtbeny to describe human sexual behavior, then became adopted by the psychiatric and medical communities worldwide to describe human sexual behavior.