Football: STEVE SPURRIER inadvertently explains why the Rooney Rule exists & will never work

daman200

Rising Star
Registered
He basically said it's all about who u know. Do you know the people that hire coaches is your name on that list? It's a small tight communities of white athletic directors and college presidents who don't know many African Americans. Just not in those circles yet. Rooney has worked better than Major League Baseball. The NBA probably has the most black coaches

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
He basically said it's all about who u know. Do you know the people that hire coaches is your name on that list? It's a small tight communities of white athletic directors and college presidents who don't know many African Americans. Just not in those circles yet. Rooney has worked better than Major League Baseball. The NBA probably has the most black coaches

according to the numbers?

Rooney aint working.

and if course its who you know.

Problem is...they don't WANT to know us.

And even when they DO?

They aint taking one of US over their own.

and WE are never in a position to hire and fire US.

Black Radical

Rising Star
Registered
the only thing that will ever work is a blind process. Submit your coaching strategy offense and defense, resume of programs u were associated with by conference without mentioning specific school name. Describe your coaching style, give anecdotes, and propose a plan and points of emphasis for the franchise you are interviewing for. All anonymous.

This is the only way to really remove bias. A black woman came up with an app for this in Silicon valley, because she had an MIT degree and mfers were telling her she should be doing sales and shit.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If Kansas City's Eric Bieniemy is passed over again, the NFL has a problem
A report Wednesday suggested the coordinator of Kansas City's dominant offense won't get a head job again this offseason.
By Michael Rand JANUARY 14, 2021 — 8:14AM

TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICE
Since Eric Bieniemy took over as offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2018, they have the No. 1 scoring offense and No. 1 total offense in the NFL. His lack of head coaching interviews is a problem for the league.
TEXT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
MORE
It's hard to say exactly what is more insulting or ludicrous: A tweeted report suggesting there's a "very strong chance" Kansas City offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy won't get a head coaching job again this offseason OR the reasons offered for that suggestion.

The tweet in question from The Draft Scout's Matt Miller:

First, the fact that Bieniemy — the former Vikings running backs coach under Brad Childress who is now in charge of the NFL's best offense and most dangerous QB, Patrick Mahomes —stands to get passed over for an opportunity again is absurd on merit.

Among the most obvious hires a team in need of a coach can make is to nab a high-level assistant from another team. There's none better than Bieniemy, whose offense fueled last year's Super Bowl run and has Kansas City in position to go back-to-back this year. Head coach Andy Reid calls the plays? Sure. But he's also praised Bieniemy for his acumen and leadership.

Beyond that, though, the two specific reasons outlined for passing him over are even more ridiculous (and note: this is not to blame Miller, who is merely the messenger).

Concerns about the Andy Reid coaching tree? Those branches are full of Super Bowl-winning coaches like John Harbaugh and Doug Pederson, plus coaches who have turned teams around like Sean McDermott and Matt Nagy. Compared to, say, the Bill Belichick coaching tree it's even more successful.

And yet Belichick assistants keep getting hired — some of them right after the Super Bowl, which brings us to the second assertion: that teams don't want to wait Bieniemy because Kansas City might still be playing for a few more weeks.

Again, nonsense. Go back two cycles ago and you'll find assistants for the Patriots (Brian Flores) and Rams (Zac Taylor) who were named head coaches. The year before that, OC Frank Reich was hired by the Colts after leading the Eagles to a Super Bowl title. The year before that, OC Kyle Shanahan was hired by the 49ers after he helped the Falcons reach the Super Bowl.

Teams wait for the best candidates all the time. Because, you know, hiring a coach that helped a team reach the Super Bowl is a good mark on a resume.

There's no guarantee that Bieniemy will succeed as a head coach, but there is ample evidence that he deserves a chance.

Maybe the Texans will end up doing the right thing. They've added Bieniemy to their list of head coach interview candidates, quite possibly as a means of repairing their relationship with QB Deshaun Watson.

But if Bieniemy, who is Black, is passed by again this offseason the NFL will be left to confront an ugly truth: race still plays a role in how a lot of teams view candidates and keeps minorities from getting jobs they deserve.

200.gif

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If Kansas City's Eric Bieniemy is passed over again, the NFL has a problem
A report Wednesday suggested the coordinator of Kansas City's dominant offense won't get a head job again this offseason.
By Michael Rand JANUARY 14, 2021 — 8:14AM

TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICE
Since Eric Bieniemy took over as offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2018, they have the No. 1 scoring offense and No. 1 total offense in the NFL. His lack of head coaching interviews is a problem for the league.
TEXT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
MORE
It's hard to say exactly what is more insulting or ludicrous: A tweeted report suggesting there's a "very strong chance" Kansas City offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy won't get a head coaching job again this offseason OR the reasons offered for that suggestion.

The tweet in question from The Draft Scout's Matt Miller:

First, the fact that Bieniemy — the former Vikings running backs coach under Brad Childress who is now in charge of the NFL's best offense and most dangerous QB, Patrick Mahomes —stands to get passed over for an opportunity again is absurd on merit.

Among the most obvious hires a team in need of a coach can make is to nab a high-level assistant from another team. There's none better than Bieniemy, whose offense fueled last year's Super Bowl run and has Kansas City in position to go back-to-back this year. Head coach Andy Reid calls the plays? Sure. But he's also praised Bieniemy for his acumen and leadership.

Beyond that, though, the two specific reasons outlined for passing him over are even more ridiculous (and note: this is not to blame Miller, who is merely the messenger).

Concerns about the Andy Reid coaching tree? Those branches are full of Super Bowl-winning coaches like John Harbaugh and Doug Pederson, plus coaches who have turned teams around like Sean McDermott and Matt Nagy. Compared to, say, the Bill Belichick coaching tree it's even more successful.

And yet Belichick assistants keep getting hired — some of them right after the Super Bowl, which brings us to the second assertion: that teams don't want to wait Bieniemy because Kansas City might still be playing for a few more weeks.

Again, nonsense. Go back two cycles ago and you'll find assistants for the Patriots (Brian Flores) and Rams (Zac Taylor) who were named head coaches. The year before that, OC Frank Reich was hired by the Colts after leading the Eagles to a Super Bowl title. The year before that, OC Kyle Shanahan was hired by the 49ers after he helped the Falcons reach the Super Bowl.

Teams wait for the best candidates all the time. Because, you know, hiring a coach that helped a team reach the Super Bowl is a good mark on a resume.

There's no guarantee that Bieniemy will succeed as a head coach, but there is ample evidence that he deserves a chance.

Maybe the Texans will end up doing the right thing. They've added Bieniemy to their list of head coach interview candidates, quite possibly as a means of repairing their relationship with QB Deshaun Watson.

But if Bieniemy, who is Black, is passed by again this offseason the NFL will be left to confront an ugly truth: race still plays a role in how a lot of teams view candidates and keeps minorities from getting jobs they deserve.

200.gif

:curse::curse::curse::smh::smh::smh::smh::angry::angry::angry:

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Can't see the first vid, but the ball coach didn't like his qbs black, so the irony of him talking about Rooney rules not working
Yep it's a shame. When he was at Florida a lot of black high school qb prospects from that state were legends/state champions and didn't get recruited or had to change positions. That's why I loved that championship game where Nebraska blasted their ass (Tommy Frazier won a state championship in Florida and none of the schools recruited him)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Houston Texans hire Baltimore Ravens' David Culley as head coach, sources say
play

10078277_CTV_THUMB_DAVID-CULLEY.jpg

0:57
/
1:40

9:54 PM ET
  • Sarah BarshopESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans have hired Baltimore Ravens assistant David Culley to be their next head coach, sources told ESPN, confirming a report by the Houston Chronicle.
Culley, 65, who has spent the past two seasons in Baltimore, just completed his 27th season as an NFL coach. Along with serving as the team's assistant head coach, Culley was Baltimore's passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach. The Ravens finished the 2020 season ranked last in the NFL in passing.

ADVERTISEMENT

"David is just a genuine guy," Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said in a text to ESPN's Ed Werder. "He will be who he is everyday. Has been that guy every day of his career. I'm thrilled for him. Great person. Genuine. Full of energy."
Harbaugh had previously called the Texans' opening a "great opportunity" and said he believed Culley "would be a tremendous hire for any team, maybe, especially, the Texans with Deshaun Watson."
EDITOR'S PICKS
The Ravens will receive two third-round compensatory picks (one in 2021 and another in 2022) for Culley getting hired from their staff. This comes from a resolution adopted in November that is meant to incentivize NFL teams to develop and hire minority candidates for head-coaching and general manager positions.
Culley will join Robert Saleh of the New York Jets, Brian Flores of the Miami Dolphins, Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Ron Rivera of the Washington Football Team as active minority head coaches in the league.
Culley has never been an offensive coordinator at the NFL level. He was also an assistant head coach for the Kansas City Chiefs from 2013 to '16, and spent the 2017 and '18 seasons as the Buffalo Bills' quarterbacks coach. When the Ravens hired Culley in 2019, Harbaugh said the coach was highly respected "as a teacher, game-planner and motivator."
When the Texans fired head coach and general manager Bill O'Brien in October, Houston became the first team with an opening for either position. The Texans hired Nick Caserio as their new general manager earlier this month and gave him the reins to their head-coaching search.
David Culley's Prior Coaching Stops

SEASONSTEAMROLE
2019-20Ravensassistant head coach/passing game coordinator/WR coach
2017-18BillsQB coach
2013-16Chiefsassistant head coach/WR coach
1999-2012Eaglesprimarily WR coach, also senior offensive assistant from 2011-12
1996-98SteelersWR coach
1994-95BuccaneersWR coach
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Along with Culley, Houston interviewed Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, former Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell, Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus and current Texans quarterback Josh McCown after Caserio took over. The Texans also interviewed Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley before he was hired by the Los Angeles Chargers.

Amid the Texans' coaching search, sources told ESPN that Watson was not happy with the process the organization used to hire Caserio. And sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that regardless of whom the Texans hired as their next head coach, Watson's desire to be traded was not expected to change.
The Texans are coming off a 4-12 season, one in which Watson played the best football of his NFL career. The fourth-year quarterback set career highs in touchdowns, passing yards and completion percentage. He also threw a career-low seven interceptions.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy won't 'dwell in pity' over not getting head-coaching job

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Eric Bieniemy is spending this particular week for the second straight year not only preparing the Kansas City Chiefs to play in the Super Bowl but also trying to explain why he doesn't have an NFL head-coaching job.

Bieniemy said Tuesday that even though he interviewed for six openings this year and multiple openings last year, the right job hasn't come along yet.

"It's always about getting the right job," the Chiefs' offensive coordinator said. "Sometimes the job and the person have to connect. There has to be a connection. The only thing I can do is be my most authentic self. That's who I am. I can only be me. Some team has to want me. For some reason, that chemistry has not been a fit. There has not been that opportunity to connect, but that's OK. At the end of the day, I have the opportunity to go out here and work with the Kansas City Chiefs, which is a great organization ...

"I'm excited about the opportunity that has been presented to me. The other stuff, I can't control that. That is out of my control. The only thing I can worry about is today and moving forward what I need to do to help our guys be at their best come Sunday."

Bieniemy said he's dealing with the disappointment by focusing on Sunday's game. The Chiefs have the chance to be the first team to win back-to-back championships in more than 15 years when they face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Super Bowl LV.

"We've had a great deal of success here that's placed me in the situation where I've been recognized to interview for some jobs," Bieniemy said. "Those interviews, for whatever reason, I have not been hired, which is OK because at the end of the day I still have an opportunity to go out there and help our team pursue and obtain our goal.

"Yes, there is a focal point where you are focused on that interview. But once that interview is over, it's time to turn the page. I can't sit here and dwell in pity because when all is said and done with I have a responsibility to the Kansas City Chiefs ... to make sure that we're mentally and physically ready to go come game day. That's who I am, and that's how I operate.

"I learned a long time ago how to persevere through adversity. The beauty of it is not so much that I have to persevere, because that's going to take care of itself. It's making sure that whatever is taking place with Eric Bieniemy isn't becoming a distraction in us pursuing our dreams and our goals."
Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians was asked if it would help if the NFL made a rule to move the hiring cycle to after the Super Bowl.

"I think that would be a great rule. I really do, if everybody had to wait until after. I know everybody's gonna go behind their back anyway, and agents will have agreements with people, but I think the hiring process should wait until after the season."

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
The owners have one mentality, If I'm writing the checks, I decide who I'm going to pay. I honestly don't see that mentality changing. So another approach needs to be presented.

I understand that view I don't like it but how do you argue with the men with the pens and checks?

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The owners have one mentality, If I'm writing the checks, I decide who I'm going to pay. I honestly don't see that mentality changing. So another approach needs to be presented.

I understand that view I don't like it but how do you argue with the men with the pens and checks?

I get it aswell. If they know in their heart of hearts they got their guy already, why do they need the song and dance??? Flying out and going through the motions knowing they're not gonna hire you is insulting. Dennis Green said something similar. I wish it were different and there were more black coaches, but forcing someone to interview a black man isn't a real opportunity. Yes, Ive heard that Mike Tomlin interviewed extremely well, got his name out there and eventually landed the most stable job in the NFL... ... ... And we been beating that same drum as evidence that it works for over a fuckin decade. Im not saying get rid of it, as I dont have a better idea, but the shit doesn't really work.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Now the road going to be harder for any brother trying to get a NFL gig after playing football.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Yep it's a shame. When he was at Florida a lot of black high school qb prospects from that state were legends/state champions and didn't get recruited or had to change positions. That's why I loved that championship game where Nebraska blasted their ass (Tommy Frazier won a state championship in Florida and none of the schools recruited him)
i enjoyed that game too, since spurrier liked to run up the score on opponents,