Fishless Fish? Impossible Foods Is Developing Fake Seafood for Vegetarians

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
fish.jpg

The plant-based company hopes to offer a replacement for every animal-based food by 2035.

Impossible Foods is cooking up something sure to make even more of a splash than their Impossible Burger: a fish product totally free of fish.

The California company known for whipping up patties made entirely of plants has set its sights on doing the same for seafood, according to the New York Times.

“The only way we can succeed is to make fish from plants that is more delicious than the fish that’s strip mined from the ocean,” chief executive Pat Brown told the publication.

The Times reports that Impossible has been working on developing alternatives to fish and other seafood through plant-based recipes or by growing cells in laboratories. To recreate the seafood flavor, Brown said the company uses heme, a protein also seen in their meat formula.

The heme is made by fermenting a genetically engineered yeast and injecting it with DNA from soy plants, according to the Impossible website.

The Times reports that Impossible has been working on developing alternatives to fish and other seafood through plant-based recipes or by growing cells in laboratories. To recreate the seafood flavor, Brown said the company uses heme, a protein also seen in their meat formula.

The heme is made by fermenting a genetically engineered yeast and injecting it with DNA from soy plants, according to the Impossible website.

Impossible seems to be focused on a similar goal in manufacturing seafood products, as Brown told the Times that declining the fish population was “an ongoing meltdown.”

They wouldn’t be the first company to put fishless fish on shelves; the Times reports that Good Catch already sells fish-free tuna at Whole Foods, while Wild Type has developed vegetarian salmon through cells grown in labs, though it took the latter three and a half weeks to create a pound of the fish.

Impossible, which hopes to offer a replacement for every animal-based food by 2035, has gone more mainstream in recent months, with Burger King introducing an Impossible Whopper to the menu at its St. Louis locations in April.

The patties are also available at chain restaurants like White Castle, Umami Burger, Bareburger and Wahlburgers.

https://people.com/food/impossible-brands-developing-vegetarian-seafood-products/

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
They are catching the so called "vegans" who are more apt to call themself a vegan for trying to be hip.

They trying to catch that wave of hipsters.

No real vegan would eat their shit.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
anybody tried the impossible burger at white castle?
I read a review, and the guy said it was good if you can get past the smell during prep. He said it smelled like cat food. The other "it" fake burger, whose name escapes me, smells like burning plastic while it cooks, according to a co worker of mine, but he did say it was good. Being that about 20% of our tastes is in out olfactories, I don't know if I could eat it after those smells.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
They are catching the so called "vegans" who are more apt to call themself a vegan for trying to be hip.
I don't get it. This is like vagiterians using dildos. You don't like dick, but you wanna use a dick looking object? Meat disgusts you, but you wanna eat something that looks and tastes like meat? I ABSOLUTELY hate grits, okra, & watermelon. I ain't checking for products that look and taste like them.

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
I don't get it. This is like vagiterians using dildos. You don't like dick, but you wanna use a dick looking object? Meat disgusts you, but you wanna eat something that looks and tastes like meat? I ABSOLUTELY hate grits, okra, & watermelon. I ain't checking for products that look and taste like them.

I love to hear a vegetarian respond to this. They make vegetarian burgers, hotdogs, PORKCHOPS, chicken wings, lasagna, etc..... All these things are made to taste like REAL MEAT but they claim they don’t like meat:idea:

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor

Ok they’re saying they like the taste of meat they just don’t like the fact that the animal is being slaughtered and don’t wanna support the meat industry

If you’re vegan, it’s a question you probably get from time to time. And if you’re not, it’s probably something you’ve wondered: Why do vegans eat fake meat?

And the answer is simple. First, most vegans grew up eating meat, and since many family traditions center on food, vegan meat alternatives allow people to enjoy familiar dishes and some of their favorite comfort foods without compromising their values of kindness and compassion.

Second, most people don’t go vegan because they don’t like the taste of meat. By switching to vegan versions of chicken, fish, burgers, and more, you can still enjoy your favorite flavors without supporting an industry that treats animals like garbage and pollutes our water and air.

Even if vegan meat isn’t for you, there are plenty of other delicious sources of plant-based protein. But remember, vegan meat is just meat made from plants. Wheat, soy, and peas are common ingredients in these products, which are cholesterol-free and typically high in protein and fiber.