1f923.png
1f923.png
1f923.png

213389492_10219232535553534_2641515572925842135_n.jpg
giphy.gif

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Liver and Onions: Why the Bad Rep? (Seriously, Read This)

IMG_1021.jpg

I know, Liver and Onions. I haven’t posted in what seems like forever and this is what I choose. Organ meats? Liver? Hell, for most people, I might as well have entitled this post “How to Deep Fry Dog Sh@t.” Come to think of it, that might have gotten more people to read past the title than “Liver and Onions” just off of sheer curiosity. All I can say is this: Keep an open mind and trust that I am, in fact, not leading you astray or attempting to convince you to eat something “gross.” To be honest, I genuinely enjoy liver and onions and my wife does as well. I also don’t expect to convert the vast majority of the people who read this to feeling the same way. Some of you, however, will be brave and take a chance….

Liver and onions is not something I grew up eating. In fact, I only just starting eating it a few weeks ago and it was entirely because curiosity got the better of me. I had seen liver a million times in the grocery store meat section and wondered what it tasted like, if it was hard to cook, and most of all, if I would like it. I am something of an adventurous eater and I like things like pate (which is in fact made from livers) and most of the meaner and stinkier cheeses, so I thought to myself, what the hell, let’s give it a shot. It was only after I got home, cooked, and thoroughly enjoyed my meal of liver and onions that I found out that liver is, in many ways, incredibly good for you. Beef liver is loaded with amino acids, vitamins A and B-12, and minerals like iron and zinc. Also, a single serving of liver is only about 150 calories. It does have a downside, however, as it contains a pretty serious amount of cholesterol. Basically all this means is it’s good for you as long as you only eat it in moderation.

When buying beef liver, you can usually find it trimmed, individually sliced, and frozen, with each slice contained in its own vacuum sealed package. There are two main varieties you will come across in most major grocery stores: Beef liver, which comes from adult cows, and calves’ liver. You will want to go for calves’ liver, which is generally more tender and milder in flavor than the liver from older animals. It is still intensely beefy in taste but it lacks much of the irony, mineral flavor that is such a turn off for most people. Though it is not something I have tried, if you are still worried about the mineral taste, you can soak your liver in milk. You can do this for up to an hour before cooking it and many people claim it helps mellow the flavor. Like I said, I have never tried this as I like the taste. I am one of those people who likes their meats a bit gamey and minerally. It’s either the mark of a true carnivore or I might be part vampire or something, I don’t know. All I can say is it’s good. Just trust me.

When it comes down to the actual act of cooking my liver and onions, I like to keep things fairly simple. Many people’s recipes call for taking the time to make a gravy, but I like mine straight up. I like my liver lightly coated in seasoned flour, cooked to golden brown on each side in just a little butter, and slathered in perfectly caramelized sweet Vidalia onions that have just a little minced garlic cooked in with them. Many people like their liver served with mashed potatoes or steamed white rice, but I like mine with a nice cheesy polenta and green salad. If you have never had polenta it is essentially the Italian version of Southern grits made with a yellow cornmeal and finished with butter and various cheeses.

So why not give liver and onions a try?

Liver and Onions

Ingredients

(makes appox. 4 servings)

1, 1 lb. package of calves’ liver, thawed if frozen (these usually come with 4 individually wrapped slices, each about 4 ounces) Please Note: You want to keep your livers reasonably cold. If they get too close to room temperature they can become very delicate and hard to handle without them falling apart. If they do get to this stage simply pop them back in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes and allow them to firm back up.

3 large Vidalia onions, sliced

1-2 cloves garlic, minced

Flour

Favorite seasonings- this is used for seasoning the flour. Most people have their personal preferences. For this, I use a seasoning blend called Cavender’s Greek Seasoning, which I have found to be available in the spice isle of most Kroger and Walmart locations, if you can’t find it a simple mix of garlic powder, salt and pepper will do

2-3 Tb of unsalted butter

Olive oil

Salt

Pepper

On a large plate or in a shallow dish combine about a 1/4-1/2 of a cup of flour with your seasoning, salt, and pepper. We are looking to create just enough of a seasoned flour to lightly coat each of your liver pieces on all sides. Set this mixture aside for later. Heat about 2-3 Tb of your olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in your onions and season them to taste with salt and pepper. Cook them, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and beginning to caramelize. Add in your minced garlic and continue cooking until the onions have become fully caramelized. At this point, they will have taken on a rich brown color and a nice sweetness. Remove the caramelized onions and garlic to a separate bowl, while trying to leave most of the oil behind, and reserve them for later. Increase your heat to medium high, and add your butter to your now sweet, onion and garlic flavored oil. While it melts, dredge your liver pieces in the seasoned flour being sure to coat them evenly on all sides. Shake off your excess flour and place them into your pan. Fry them until they are golden brown on each side. This should take about 3 minutes per side, if that. You don’t want to overcook it as it can become grainy and tough. Feel free to slice into a piece to check for doneness. You are looking for a nice medium to medium rare like you would with a steak. Warm and pink on the inside but no blood. When your liver is done remove it and top it generously with the caramelized onions and garlic. Enjoy!

giphy.gif

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Philip Hilton
This is absolutely ridiculous. If you eat meat, you’re eating a dead animal, period! If you don’t like beef or calves liver, you don’t like it. I’m not a fan, either. However, I don’t yuck at someone else’s yum! And, family, we can communicate with one another without the profanity. This is a conversation, not a street fight! Can we keep it loving, classy, and civil?

Electra Wray
Well call me the PURPLE PEOPLE EATER THEN
1f923.png
1f923.png
1f923.png
1f923.png

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dad use to cook this for us with mash potatoes and gravy. I’m pretty sure there was no more iron left after all that gravy and and salt and potatoes.