Extraction - new Netflix movie starring Chris Hemsworth

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
6 underground was trash. I want to see this and gangs of London but bgol reviewers love action and no plot /campy/terrible acting.

Is this a good movie or is it a bunch of action scenes loosely strung together with dumb cac one liners?

Last edited:

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
6 underground was trash. I want to see this and gangs of London but bgol reviewers love action and no plot /campy/terrible acting.

Is this a good movie or is it a bunch of action scenes loosely strung together?
No this was actually a really good flick. Unlike 99% of what these niggas recommend .

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Is this a good movie or is it a bunch of action scenes loosely strung together?

Plot wise it is better than 6 underground.

This is the last praise I'll give to this movie, the cinematography during the stunts is really good. These camera men must double as stunt men.. they followed Helmsworth from one rooftop to the other, then lead him down the stairs ..

Beat him over a railing from the 2nd floor to the ground...

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Why do all these netflix movies start at the end then give us a flash back how they got there.

Last edited:

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor
This was a dope flick, nothing new in the story department but it did deliver with the gritty, in your face action. The action scenes felt like you were actually in the middle of it all. Too bad you can't see this on the big screen. 3 stars (***) Oh and one name Seju!!!!:clap::clap:

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Is this a good movie or is it a bunch of action scenes loosely strung together with dumb cac one liners?

I couldnt even finish watchin that fuckn six whatever the fuck it was... it was too glitzy and no substance.

while this story has been told many times before...

but at least unlike six underground, you dont feel like you are wasting your time watching it..

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
I couldnt even finish watchin that fuckn six whatever the fuck it was... it was too glitzy and no substance.

while this story has been told many times before...

but at least unlike six underground, you dont feel like you are wasting your time watching it..

I quit 6 underground at 17 minutes. It was all I could deal with. And there had to have been at least 5 dick and ball jokes in just that time period. I don't do white boy campy humor.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Did the guy really think he could hire mercenaries to rescue the kid then double cross them to get the kid and face no repercussions?

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Did the guy really think he could hire mercenaries to rescue the kid then double cross them to get the kid and face no repercussions?

That's what I'm saying.....

He deserves to at the very least get shanked in jail...maybe not killed, but let it sink in and twist it one time and tell him "Tyler Rake says hello."

The dad got off free from retribution

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

lol the guy was good enough to get the jump on world class mercs

but didnt think he could rescue the kid from a bunch of lower level hoodlums

its a straight up action movie

ignore the holes and questions
and just enjoy the explosions

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
8/10

This is a good action movie.

Their are lots of fist fights, knife fights, gun fights, explosions, blood, violence, car chases, helicopters and all the other crap that makes a good action movie.....minus sex and nudity.

The story has been done a million times, but the Russo Bros. did this one and they do not disappoint. They got a 25 minute action filled part of the flick that is done in a "One Take" style that is done well.

There is a Indian chick in it that works with Chris Helmsworth character. She is the eye candy of the movie. No nudity or sex scenes with her.

David Harbour from "Stranger Things" is in it. The way he debuts, I suspect this flick was suppose to be a appetizer for "Black Widow" where he co-stars in. Black Widow originally was scheduled to debut in 2 weeks. The interaction between him and Chris Helmsworth kind of felt like a MCU scene like it was a Thor meeting Red Guardian thing.

If you need a movie with substance, in-depth plot, character and story development and something that has a chance of getting Best Picture in next years Academy Awards...this ain't the movie, go watch "Downtown Abbey" for that shit. This is nothing but Movie Testosterone.

They kind of left it off for a sequel, it could be a good Netlix franchise series.

Outstanding review

My oldest is begging me to see this but this looks 16 and older to me

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

It was an aight entertaining action flick...cool fight scenes..a lil boring and repetitive but not mind numbingly dumb like some Michael bay shit or cartoonish as that 6 underground shit

God's Gift

The best of the majority of you niggas.
BGOL Investor
golshifteh-farahani-at-the-gala-dinner-during-the-72nd-cannes-film-festival-at-the-palais-des-festivals-on-may-14-2019-in-cannes-france-72nd-cannes-film-festival-on-may-14-2019-in-cannes-france-T91MHD.jpg

Golshifteh Farahani > Nik Khan

The bathroom hit...cold blooded.. :itsawrap:

CSI!!

In January 2012, it was reported that Farahani would not be welcome in her homeland after posing nude in the French Madame Figaro

I'm bout this slum dog extra chick even if she's so damn slim

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
The movie was very good. I was surprised and wasn't bored at all. It could have gotten a theatrical release.

And it was not dumb. It had substance.

It was one man against an army. Hollywood shit for sure. It was a throwback to 80's action like Commando without the camp and one liners or First Blood.

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
The movie was very good. I was surprised and wasn't bored at all. It could have gotten a theatrical release.

And it was not dumb. It had substance.

It was one man against an army. Hollywood shit for sure. It was a throwback to 80's action like Commando without the camp and one liners or First Blood.
When he got outflanked, fired on from his SIX then spun around and returned fire I said out loud: aw that was some ol Commando shit. :lol:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Netflix’s Action-Movie Arms Race
By Chris Lee@__ChrisLee
Extraction director Sam Hargrave discusses the streamer’s ambitions with the genre, and how his ambiguous ending set up an inevitable Extraction 2. Photo: Courtesy of Netflix
By the penultimate spasm of violence in Netflix’s original action-thriller Extraction, Chris Hemsworth — as a black-ops mercenary named Tyler Rake — has battled across Dhaka, Bangladesh, shooting drug dealers, stabbing corrupt cops, lobbing hand-grenades at surging army forces, and punching out bloodthirsty child thugs (“the Goonies from hell”). The film’s central narrative revolves around Hemsworth’s OxyContin-popping character on a search-and-rescue mission to liberate Ovi, the son of a drug dealer, from the clutches of another scummier and more nefarious drug dealer who has kidnapped him. As the arterial splatter and body count piles up, the film begins to feel like a pithy first-person-shooter game. At one point, Rake impales a bad guy’s head on the spikes of a literal rake.
Let loose upon the streaming service last month amid COVID-19 shelter-in-place measures that have been driving home-viewing metrics ever upward, Extraction was soon announced as the “biggest-ever film premiere on Netflix — with a projected 90 million households getting in on the action in the first four weeks,” according to a Netflix tweet. That success — asterisked by the fact that Netflix counts a minimum of two minutes of viewing time as household engagement — can be understood as a bellwether of the streaming giant’s larger strategy with action- and adventure-skewing original films. Produced by co-directors of Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame Anthony and Joe Russo, Extraction follows on the heels of such high-octane, leading man-driven Netflix hits as the Ryan Reynolds–starring 6 Underground, Triple Frontier (Ben Affleck and Oscar Isaac), and the Mark Wahlberg vehicle Spenser Confidential (which became the platform’s most-streamed title earlier this year). And more Netflix originals are set to follow: the Blake Lively–starring, post-apocalyptic Dark Days at the Magna Carta, and the thriller Trigger Warning (to star Jessica Alba and be directed by Indonesian filmmaker Mouly Surya).

The rush of titles is a result of Netflix’s dedication to establishing its own, proprietary action IP in an era of studio filmmaking calibrated around cinematic sequels, reboots, and spinoffs. (To say the onset of coronavirus has changed things would be an understatement.) Vulture recently caught up with Extraction director Sam Hargrave, the acclaimed stunt/fight choreographer behind such exemplars of the action genre as Deadpool 2, Atomic Blonde, and Avengers: Infinity War, to discuss the platform’s action movies arms race. The former Chris Evans stunt double explained why he made his directing debut with Netflix, the streamer’s ambitions with the genre, and how his ambiguous ending set up an inevitable Extraction 2.

After doing stunts on so many high-profile movies, what was it like transitioning to directing your own?
I’ve been fortunate to have had a pretty awesome career in the stunt world — as a double, a fight choreographer, stunt coordinator, and second-unit director. I’ve really gotten to do a lot of cool action set pieces. I’ve worked with a lot of great directors, who were very open and allowed me to do some cool things. What Extraction allowed me to do was put it all together. Working with actors and pulling performances, getting to jump into dramatic scenes and weave a narrative from start to finish where action wasn’t the only focal point.
You worked with the Russo brothers on two Captain America movies and the last two Avengers installments. Under their production banner Agbo Films, they championed you to direct Extraction. Tell me about your meetings with Netflix. You must have had to acknowledge, “Yes, I have a great deal of experience in this one arena. But you should let me direct a film for you.” How receptive were they?
From the first time we sat down, Nick Nesbitt and the whole creative team loved the script. They had a few notes they wanted to address. Joe acted as a buffer. He wrote the script so a lot of notes went through him. He and I worked it through together so I wasn’t alone. I got a lot of wonderful mentorship on that process — how to take notes, how to act on notes and be a pro when it comes to the writer-director side of things.
It’s a really cool place to make a movie. Their attitude is always to make the best film possible. And to let the filmmakers realize their vision. So there’s not a lot of — I don’t want to say micromanaging — but once they sign on to the movie, they let you do your thing. There wasn’t a lot of meddling, if you will. It was a really cool experience.
You have worked at some of the highest levels of filmmaking with big budget studio films. But the bigger the price tag, the more oversight a filmmaker usually gets. Netflix has shown growing dedication to doing action movies. Given that push, I was wondering if you could speak to Netflix’s intentions in that department. What are their ambitions?
Not only have they wanted to be, but they are demonstrating that they are a major player in the film production side. For the longest time, they were just acquiring what others made and provided an outlet for that. Now, they’re producing content. I know for a while it was, “Oh, you’re doing a Netflix movie? When are you making a real movie?” Come on. We are making a real movie. This is just a different outlet and this is how people are absorbing content now: streaming.
Having worked on many big-budget movies and then working with Netflix — you’re right. When you have an investment that is so many hundreds of millions of dollars, understandably, there are going to be more people with a stake in the outcome. So they are going to have an opinion. But when it comes to Netflix, their model is based on subscribers, the people who want good content. So they allow the filmmakers to take more risks. They let filmmakers try things because they have a built-in audience. Not everyone who streams Netflix’s content is going to love action movies, but then there’s going to be comedies, romantic-comedies, horror: varied tastes. It allows them to take more risks. That’s an exciting environment to be in for a filmmaker. Especially a first-time filmmaker. A first-time filmmaker is a huge financial liability. You are an unproven commodity until you make your movie and see how it does. A lot of studios don’t want to take that risk.
What was Extraction’s budget?
That’s for Netflix or Agbo to say. When I saw the number, it was a higher number than I was expecting based on the script and that we were making it at Netflix. It was a higher number in the traditional studio model than I thought would be appropriate for this movie. But then, when you look at their business model, they make the number work differently.
The ending of Extraction is deliberately ambiguous. As originally written, Tyler Rake was supposed to die in the end. In the graphic novel it’s based on, he lives. In the final cut of the film, though, you don’t know what’s going on. I understand that test screenings had a lot of bearing on why things were left open-ended.
For us as filmmakers, that final image was designed to represent hope for the kid, the character of Ovi. How that hope was interpreted, we wanted to leave up to the viewer. The cool thing about that final image is you can have your cake and eat it too. We had no idea it would be such a popular movie on Netflix. That ending leaves potential for, if it was popular, you could devise another story within that universe. That’s why we landed on this ambiguous ending.
Netflix’s Scott Stuber gave you some advice regarding an emotionally satisfying ending versus an intellectually satisfying ending. What did he say?
That was one of the best notes I’ve ever received. You might think you have an idea on the page or to shoot that’s smart. That’s clever. Ultimately, the cinematic experience should be emotionally satisfying. Good, bad, scary, happy, sad — it should emotionally satisfy the audience. That is a really important thing in making a film. How I took that advice was to not get caught up in overthinking things. Remember who you are making the movie for when you go through that process.
Joe Russo recently signed a deal to write Extraction 2. Are you attached to that project? Is Chris Hemsworth? And is there anything you can divulge at this point?
A sequel, prequel, we don’t really know. It hasn’t been written yet. We’re exploring all avenues for this story to take place. People seem excited about another movie in the Tyler Rake universe. I’m in talks to be in the middle of it. I’d be excited at the opportunity to work with Netflix again with Chris Hemsworth and the Russos, it would be a fun experience to go at it one more time.

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
Maybe it’s just me, but after awhile I just got tired of watching muhfuhkahs getting killed. When you lose count of the bodies, it’s silly

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm late to the party on this one. Just watched tonight and this movie was DOPE!!!!!

One of the best action movies I've seen. Excellent story, pacing, acting, action, and nice little twists that I didn't expect.

The action scenes were believable enough w/ Chris and his weapons handling. Just an all around excellent action flick.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Now that I'm a gun head, I have more of a love/hate relationship with movies like this now. I love that more attention was paid to proper gun play and mechanics but hate that I now find myself also paying more attention to specifics that the average person won't see or nitpick about. I'm now looking at scopes & red dots mounted on guns and thinking about whether it would make sense to actually have those kinds of optics mounted for the missions you're engaged in, paying more attention to the types of rounds a rifle is chambered in and whether the recoil falls in line with it, etc... I can only imagine how much worse it is for ppl with more training or military experience when they watch stuff like this.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Now that I'm a gun head, I have more of a love/hate relationship with movies like this now. I love that more attention was paid to proper gun play and mechanics but hate that I now find myself also paying more attention to specifics that the average person won't see or nitpick about. I'm now looking at scopes & red dots mounted on guns and thinking about whether it would make sense to actually have those kinds of optics mounted for the missions you're engaged in, paying more attention to the types of rounds a rifle is chambered in and whether the recoil falls in line with it, etc... I can only imagine how much worse it is for ppl with more training or military experience when they watch stuff like this.

I hear you on this.

I noticed the optics on that sniper's rifle and the one the Indian dude had that was trying to get the kid for his boss.

I notice a lot of the gun stuff too, and I don't think I've ever seen a movie with more gun detail than this one.

They even showed Chris loading and chambering a round in his AR-15. Just a lot of attention to detail.

Last edited:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I hear you on this.

I noticed the optics on that snipers rifle and the one the Indian dude that was trying to get the kid for his boss.

I notice a lot of the gun stuff too, and I don't think I've ever seen a movie with more gun detail than this one.

They even showed Chris loading and chambering a round in his AR-15. Just a lot of attention to detail.
Yeah my boy pointed out things like how the reticles they showed when supposedly looking through the optic didn't actually line up with the optic being used and how the use of weapons mounted lights & lasers in Hollywood movies is a huge no no in actual engagements cuz the way they're used in movies will get you killed cuz you're giving away your position. In this movie I definitely noticed a lot more detail being paid attention to but it still had some aspects where it fell victim to Hollywood overdoing it.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I feel the same way, especially with military-related flicks...I can't help but notice shit that's unrealistic.

Those optics are used exactly for that purpose...the optics of looking badass. That's not how they are issued in the real world...not every last weapon has a red dot attached to it but that's what you see in the movies though.

I'm sure that the manufacturer ain't mad at all because it drives up sales. :money::money::money: