ESPN Is Reportedly Preparing To Leave Cable TV & Stream Online as A Standalone Service… A Move that Could Kill Cable TV

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor

Over the last year, Disney has talked a few times about offering ESPN as a stand-alone service. At first, they said it was just a what-if for someday down the road. Now according to the Wall Street Journal, Disney is not just talking about it but actively preparing to pull the plug on cable TV and offer ESPN directly to consumers.

A dream of all sports fans for years has been to subscribe just to the sports networks they want. Now it seems, at least for ESPN, someday you will be able to do just that without the need for a massive cable TV bundle or live TV streaming service.

Now thanks to a Disney project code-named ‘Flagship,’ Disney staff are actively working on turning ESPN into a streaming service. Exactly how that will work is still unknown.

Recently when asked about the future of ESPN as a direct streaming service during Disney’s 1st quarter 2023 earnings call, CEO Bob Iger said, “Regarding ESPN and when we might make the shift, if you’re asking me, is the shift inevitable? The answer is yes, but I’m not going to give you any sense of when that could be, because we have to do it, obviously, at a time that really makes sense for the bottom line. And we’re just not there yet,” Bob Iger said. “And that’s not just about how many subscribers we could get, it’s also about what is the pricing power of ESPN, which obviously ties to the menu of sports that that they’ve licensed.”

Not that long ago, ESPN Chairman Jimmy Pitaro once again made it clear that ESPN will be a streaming service but just not yet.

“We’re going to get to a point where we take our entire network, our flagship programming, and make it available direct to consumer,” Pitaro said in an interview with Bloomberg. “That’s a ‘when,’ not an ‘if’….We’re only going to do it when it makes sense for our business and for our bottom line.”

This is not the first time Disney has hinted at offering ESPN directly to consumers, but this is the most forceful we can remember. Clearly, Disney and others are looking closely at when and how to jump off of the cable TV bundle and go a la carte. The question now is not if they will but when is the right time to do it.

What’s holding Disney back from pulling ESPN off of cable TV and offering it as a streaming service has been the lucrative deals it has with cable companies. The ability to bundle its Disney channels with ESPN has allowed ESPN to make $28 billion in revenue for Disney from traditional TV channels. This means if cable TV companies want the very popular ESPN networks, they have to carry other Dinsey-owned networks.

ESPN reportedly gets, on average $9.42 from each cable TV subscriber. Pricing the service at $15 a month could mean Disney will get a larger profit for each subscriber.

According to Forbes, ESPN plans to keep their content on cable TV, but it is very easy to see how this move will start a domino effect in sports. FOX, Paramount, and NBC could all easily follow in ESPNs footsteps and make their content available through their streaming services like Paramount+, Peacock, and the Fox Sports app. Raising a very real question of why anyone would pay for 100+ channels of content they don’t want when they can get the sports programs they do directly from the providers.

ESPN+ seems to be the future of Disney, though. Recently it was reported that Disney is pushing to get part of the NBA’s new TV rights deal that will start in 2025. Disney hopes to put select NBA games on ESPN+ to help drive up subscribers to its sports streaming service. If that happens, it would be one more massive sports deal to help drive ESPN+’s growth.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
I mean people get to see and watch more shit while at the same time saving money streaming it.

I expect more to do the same.

Streaming is the future which is now!

Last edited:

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So will they move Monday Night Football back to ABC??..

Maybe a simulcast. They've expressed that their traditional or "linear" networks are no longer seeing growth. The move away from cable and OTA is inevitable. People just aren't consuming content like that anymore. Live event stuff is really all that's holding it together as it is.
NFL lost ratings with the Amazon deal. Although several factors were at play, including shitty games, the fact remains that everyone doesn't want, can afford, or has the internet capability for streaming only. I would expect the NFL to force ESPN games on ABC. NFL games still bring in great ratings on regular network.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Iptv has stolen a lot of their base for the ones that are savvy enough to access it. Or are willing to put up with a few hiccups like buffering.

I pay 8.00 a month and I know some of yall pay half that or less. I just pay for ease of use.
I have iptv right now and haven't had to deal with buffering at all. You get everything for 1 price and I'll never stop using it until the casket drop.

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
Damn…I am old enough to remember that’s why you got cable because of ESPN! Shit I remember as a youngin when traveling you wanted to stay in a hotel that had ESPN and HBO. You made sure you voiced your opinion to your parents that you wanted to stay where they had ESPN and HBO.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I have iptv right now and haven't had to deal with buffering at all. You get everything for 1 price and I'll never stop using it until the casket drop.

I think i will move to this when my cable contract expires at the end of the year, i got locked in on cable and internet for 2 years, but if it will offer movies and live tv including sports...im on it

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
I think i will move to this when my cable contract expires at the end of the year, i got locked in on cable and internet for 2 years, but if it will offer movies and live tv including sports...im on it
Best decision you could ever make because cable is raping people with these crazy ass prices and there's so many channels that you don't even need nor would watch when they charge these high ass prices for ppv along with wanting you to pay for their expensive streaming service. So, if you do decide to go that route, you won't be disappointed because the only bill you will have to pay is the Internet and a nice affordable iptv service with everything to watch on it with no extra cost.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When they went under Disney plus I figured this was the next step. The trick is all the live sports thats going to put some in an uproar. But if Google/YouTube is successful with Redzone, then ESPN will be online only.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I fucking hate ESPN+.

Only reason I have it is because it's included with my Hulu and Disney+ package. If ESPN got rid of regional blackouts watching shit on ESPN+ I'd be happy.

I live in Buffalo and last nights Yankees/Blue Jays game was blacked out for me. Same thing whenever they play the Indians. Same thing whenever the Mets play. I just want to watch NY Baseball and the only games I can see are fucking Milwaukee and Cincinnati Reds games on a regular.

If they got rid of the regional blackout shit, I'd be a big fan of ESPN+ for an only streaming option. Other than that, fuck them.

Last edited:

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I'm a straight-up pirate at this point. Fonz and Slam and the late, great BIGSARGE are the reason I have a fairly full Plex server. (and credit others also)

Saints, Pelicans, NCAA Softball, Formula One, a little IndyCar are the only things I want to see live and I have Kodi and other links for that, and those links are plentiful.

The Saints will always be on local, over-the-air TV because even when they play on ESPN, one of the local affiliates will simulcast the game and there is currently a push for the Pelicans to start broadcasting on over-the-air TV to grow the audience for them.

I don't really care to watch ESPN programming apart from Around the Hour and PTI and I've long stopped watching pre and post game shows, after the on-field/on-court/podium interviews, I'm changing the channel back to something on PlutoTV for background noise or turning the TV off and if I get back into gaming more heavily. I'm certainly not going to want to pay $100 or more per month for cable.

But I'm not most people, so I see how this becomes an issue.

blackman80

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
NFL lost ratings with the Amazon deal. Although several factors were at play, including shitty games, the fact remains that everyone doesn't want, can afford, or has the internet capability for streaming only. I would expect the NFL to force ESPN games on ABC. NFL games still bring in great ratings on regular network.

I agree with you brother....The NFL should have never went to Amazon Prime!!

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I fucking hate ESPN+.

Only reason I have it is because it's included with my Hulu and Disney+ package. If ESPN got rid of regional blackouts watching shit on ESPN+ I'd be happy.

I live in Buffalo and last nights Yankees/Blue Jays game was blacked out for me. Same thing whenever they play the Indians. Same thing whenever the Mets play. I just want to watch NY Baseball and the only games I can see are fucking Milwaukee and Cincinnati Reds games on a regular.

If they got rid of the regional blackout shit, I'd be a big fan of ESPN+ for an only streaming option. Other than that, fuck them.
Do you want me to send you a free streaming link to watch sports?

I’m tired of hearing about all this paid stuff when we on this thing called the internet.. free99 .com happened when internet service speeds increased.. I look at down at paying to watch sports like prince Akeem father looks down at the thought of his son working

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor

I’m tired of hearing about all this paid stuff when we on this thing called the internet.. free99 .com happened when internet service speeds increased.. I look at down at paying to watch sports like prince Akeem father looks down at the thought of his son working
Thanks man. I appreciate it.

If I really want to watch something, I can for the most part find it.

My complaint is about the convenience or lack thereof when it comes to these streaming services we pay for.

I'm good at finding links, but if I'm paying for ESPN+ and the game is showing as available on ESPN+, I shouldn't be hit with a regional blackout message when I click watch now.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And Yet Tuner Sports still don't have an app for all their Live Sports...

They have the NBA, MLB and NHL spread out over 2 apps... TBS and TNT

Make one app (Tuner Sports) and Bundle it with MAX...

WBD has to be one of the dumbest companies...

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

They are working on it. They just scooped up a MAJOR company in the UK that broadcasts the EPL and Champions League and converting it over to TNT

Cable brought it all on themselves. All they had to do was L O W E R the price.

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

send that my way too doc!

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

It's more of an age thing than people not being able to afford it. The majority of cable TV subscribers are 68 or older. and more than 55% of the remaining subscribers are 47-67 years old. The average avid NFL watcher is 51. Most cord cutters are 35-44. TNF lost viewers because it's likely that a lot of their viewers don't know how or do not want to use streaming services.

I'm kind of going through that with my father who's in his 70s now. Always complaining about the price of cable, but he's just lost when it comes to streaming. He just wants to enter a number and watch, not remember what service has what show.

John Million

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Iptv has stolen a lot of their base for the ones that are savvy enough to access it. Or are willing to put up with a few hiccups like buffering.

I pay 8.00 a month and I know some of yall pay half that or less. I just pay for ease of use.

yeah its about time for me to make this move too. whats the deal with iptv? i know i'm super late

Tom Slick

The Black HHH
BGOL Investor

Hook me up too, Boss.

Tom Slick

The Black HHH
BGOL Investor

I would pay for this just to watch Inside the NBA during the season. Only thing I really miss since cutting the cord years ago.