Dollar stores are now feeding more Americans than Whole Foods

Newlots

Star
Registered
I'm trying to figure out how this is a remarkable fact. There is approximately 467 Whole Food locations in the US. Comparing that to all the dollar stores chains, I don't think is a good comparison. Also Whole foods would never come into a neighborhood that is not considered upper income.

I have lots of disposable income, I live way below my means, but I never shop at Whole Foods. My perception is there are overpriced and overrated. Rich people and gentrifiers love it.

bham_brotha

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I dont get the big deal. Hell I have like 4 grocery stores and a farmers market within 15 minutes of me and I still check the dollar stores first for shit in cans, jars, etc. The same tuna for $2 cheaper than Kroger? The same bread for 99 cents? The same spaghetti sauce for $2 that's $4 at Kroger? Shiet, why not? And i'm nowhere near the hood lol. They're still everywhere around here.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
I dont get the big deal. Hell I have like 4 grocery stores and a farmers market within 15 minutes of me and I still check the dollar stores first for shit in cans, jars, etc. The same tuna for $2 cheaper than Kroger? The same bread for 99 cents? The same spaghetti sauce for $2 that's $4 at Kroger? Shiet, why not? And i'm nowhere near the hood lol. They're still everywhere around here.
You don’t understand the big deal????you are either very young or not aware of your surroundings

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Y is this a story, bgol post or a fucking surprise!
:hmm::fuckyousay:
You look at stories like this to let you know the state of our current economy. Dude I am seeing white people at Kroger using the coin star machine much more often the last couple of months...Remind you I live in Alpharetta. Also don’t forget to throw in big lots with this story

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Oh and canned fruit is the worse

Just get a bowl of sugar water and throw some jolly ranchers in that bitch...

The fruit I'm feasting on now globe grapesWITH seeds how God intended for us to eat it

I chew the seeds and all...dope
Exactly! Muhfuckas growing seedless food to make sure you have to BUY it instead of being able to grow it.

bham_brotha

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You don’t understand the big deal????you are either very young or not aware of your surroundings

You're talking but you're not saying anything lol. First of all, it's not a surprise that dollar stores would be making more than whole foods solely based on volume. People will go with cheaper options in general and it's not just the poor. I could easily buy the same things at whole foods or kroger but why would I when I can get them cheaper elsewhere? I mean, that's the whole allure of dollar stores. I live fine and I don't even go to whole foods when there's one a few miles from here because that shit is terribly over priced. Do a comparison with one of the larger volume chains like Kroger/Frys/Food 4 less/Fred Meyer/Smiths/Ralphs and it would make more sense. Honestly no one I know goes to whole foods... especially when the newer grocery stores out here have their own organic sections now and you can get the shit for like half the price of what you'd pay at whole foods.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
You're talking but you're not saying anything lol. First of all, it's not a surprise that dollar stores would be making more than whole foods solely based on volume. People will go with cheaper options in general and it's not just the poor. I could easily buy the same things at whole foods or kroger but why would I when I can get them cheaper elsewhere? I mean, that's the whole allure of dollar stores. I live fine and I don't even go to whole foods when there's one a few miles from here because that shit is terribly over priced. Do a comparison with one of the larger volume chains like Kroger/Frys/Food 4 less/Fred Meyer/Smiths/Ralphs and it would make more sense. Honestly no one I know goes to whole foods... especially when the newer grocery stores out here have their own organic sections now and you can get the shit for like half the price of what you'd pay at whole foods.
I am talking but you’re not comprehending

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That's possible frozen veggies better than no veggies...

But knigga ain't buying no damn frozen fruits or veggies...

Kniggas buying frozen pizza and TV dinners

Quiet is kept?

Frozen fruit and vegetables are fine.

and affordable

(generally. SOME are actually MORE expensive than fresh depending on the brand and if its certified organic)

You right they sleeping.

It isnt EASY but it CAN be done

Its all about education, budget, accessibility

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Oh and canned fruit is the worse

Just get a bowl of sugar water and throw some jolly ranchers in that bitch...

The fruit I'm feasting on now globe grapesWITH seeds how God intended for us to eat it

I chew the seeds and all...dope

again you on POINT...

but there ARE healthier versions of canned fruit but like I said they aint cheap

even canned vegetables are OK

but its hard to believe even in 2018....

People STILL don't read labels

People STILL don't use coupons

People STILL don't watch out for sales

People STILL are not educated about prices and how to use Costco etc SMARTLY

chilibrick

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
when the dollar stores start coming to nyc . they won't be a threat to supermarkets and grocery stores but to those small arab and indian run ".99 cent" stores. the dollar stores actually charge you a dollar for items instead of the $1.49 plus tax the .99 cent store charges you.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
I’m glad I’m not poor. Meats and veggies from Whole Foods all paper towels and shit from safeway. Learn how to shop niggas

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
What's really needed is a local ordinance that allows people to tear up their lawns and grow crops in its place.
That has been happening in many Municipalities over the last decade. It's been close to that amount of time where Chickens were allowed to be raised in the City.
I don't know why gardening in one's own yard would be a big deal but folks would have Botanical gardens in the front yard...no problem. One might be thinking that it's odd for Mr. Greenbeans to have four rows of corn in the front yard as opposed to roses, but you don't eat flowers.
Having said that, Milwaukee allows gardening in your yard and raising Poultry within the City Limits.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
^^^^

BOOM!!!!
That even occurs in grocery chains. The cuts of meats and freshness are not the same at all. There's an Arab owned grocery store here that I used to go to during the Holidays (because they were open on those days) to pick up random items that we'd forgotten or more Cranberry sauce, more beer or liquor, etc. This was years ago though...nothing shuts down completely for the Holidays anymore.

I walked through their Meat Dept. and these muhfuckas had packs of Franks that were swelled up like balloons and meats that looked like they were well done already, judging from the color. I called the City on their asses on the first day of business AND the District Alderman.
Muhfuckas acted like they were running a Bazarre in their home country or something.:hmm:

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
That has been happening in many Municipalities over the last decade. It's been close to that amount of time where Chickens were allowed to be raised in the City.
I don't know why gardening in one's own yard would be a big deal but folks would have Botanical gardens in the front yard...no problem. One might be thinking that it's odd for Mr. Greenbeans to have four rows of corn in the front yard as opposed to roses, but you don't eat flowers.
Having said that, Milwaukee allows gardening in your yard and raising Poultry within the City Limits.

Good! Imo it's ridiculous that the country is going through a drought and has a number of hungry people but still insist that we grow grass on our front yards.

For that matter, let's start growing fruit trees on vacant lots. Whatever doesn't get eaten can be picked and sent to the food bank.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Crazy thing for me is...I never thing "dollar" anything never registers as "grocery" anything to me...

...these opportunistic and capitalist operators of this vertical ain't sh!t!
tell whole food to come down on those fucking prices! poor people have to eat! basic human instinct
When I found out Whole Foods supported vendors that used prison labor...for them absorbent ass prices...on regular bullsh!t, I never stepped foot back.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Crazy thing for me is...I never thing "dollar" anything never registers as "grocery" anything to me...

...these opportunistic and capitalist operators of this vertical ain't sh!t!

When I found out Whole Foods supported vendors that used prison labor...for them absorbent ass prices...on regular bullsh!t, I never stepped foot back.
Exorbitant? :lol::lol::lol: It's not the first thing that I thing of either.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
There are only two things I buy in there, are 9 volts for my backups to my fire alarms and when my son was smaller and needed to bring gifts for his class parties like Valentines Day or something. You could buy a class of 20 gifts for $20 for their grab bag, whoopee.

BUT...

For anything else, I've looked at items they had for sale, and as a whole, poor people think they are getting a better deal shopping there but they are not.

Even once, was driving by and had to get dishwashing liquid as @Mrfreddygoodbud was saying. Bought a big bottle of the same one I get from Walmart. It was heavily watered down and not the same.
Many of their same items you think you buy from regular supermarkets are packaged smaller and an inferior product costing more per ounce or pound.

I shop Walmart, HEB and Krogers. Each for different things. I'd prefer Aldi, but wife and kids mostly stuck on brands they recognize.

But if you are a semi conscious shopper as I am, I look for things like prices of meat per pound and keep mental notes.

Another major thing I saw in the past many don't realize in these dollar stores is the expiration dates on some things. Some products expire a lot quicker than the same stuff in a regular supermarket.

Also there was a thread on here, people were using motor oil from there and was destroying their engines because they used crap oil and didnt need to adhere to some standards or something.

Don't think you going in there you saving a dollar, it costs more in a lot of situations.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
again you on POINT...

but there ARE healthier versions of canned fruit but like I said they aint cheap

even canned vegetables are OK

but its hard to believe even in 2018....

People STILL don't read labels

People STILL don't use coupons

People STILL don't watch out for sales

People STILL are not educated about prices and how to use Costco etc SMARTLY
If people were smart consumers..Apple would be on its death bed, movie theaters would only exist cause of monthly membership cards, lot of fast food restaurants would shut down due to people cooking or staying away from the extra unhealthy 1s, wholesale stores would have increase memberships, employee discounts would be used at record highs, carrying liq in the trunk and pre-gaming it would be the norm, lots of other things

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
when the dollar stores start coming to nyc . they won't be a threat to supermarkets and grocery stores but to those small arab and indian run ".99 cent" stores. the dollar stores actually charge you a dollar for items instead of the $1.49 plus tax the .99 cent store charges you.
they already in nyc... In mostly black neighborhoods some hispanic... They aren't in downtown manhattan... Duane reade would fear the dollar tree if it was in cac areas

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's gotten so bad that the government is now donating fresh fruit and vegetables to inner city food deserts. It's been huge in my city over this past year. Semi trailers lined up at a stadium parking lot handing out fruit and vegetables to cars lined up like assimbly lines. Like they used to do with cheese and butter back in the 80's.
Wasn't Trump trying to kill poor people's access to fresh foods?

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Dollar Tree and Dollar General realize there are SIGNIFICANT profits to be made in areas where a fair number of people get monthly government food benefits. Same reason they are in the hood is why they are all over rural America too.

FWIW; Wal-Mart is the same model; and whenever the Republicans run that reduce food stamp dog and pony show by cutting money in farm bills; all the aforementioned companies, along with Kroger and every other grocer; they pull out ALL the stops to ensure the cuts don’t become law, as any cuts take revenue off the books.