DJ Quik: ‘I Deserve To Be Where [Dr.] Dre Is’

Andeyhollawho

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What Say You Hip-Hop?

As an architect of the West Coast’s G-Funk sound in the ’90s, Quik expressed that he believes his career should match the mainstream acclaim of his friend and Hip Hop billionaire Dr. Dre.

“I know it’s early. But I deserve to be where Dre is,” he declared on Twitter on Tuesday (December 6). “I don’t think it’s fair, but I understand why. I’ve never had a machine behind me, that always hurt my friends more than it did me.”

“This doesn’t need to be on a podcast. Because you have fire starters, who want to spin everything to get more ratings,” he wrote. “But the truth is: I love Dr. Dre, like a big brother, one I never had. It pains me when people pit us against each other.”

“I know I’ll never be as popular as I need to be, but I have 10s of artists superstars,” the West Coast legend added. “And when they shine, I just smile. The janitor doesn’t get all the glory, but he keeps the backstage, clean as a triage.”

The Compton native’s career has had several parallels with Dr. Dre as Quik would “fill the gaps” for N.W.A. when Dre wasn’t around. The two were involved with Suge Knight and had aligning stints at Death Row Records in the ’90s. They even linked up again in 2002 for Quik’s Under Tha Influence standout cut “Put It On Me.”

DJ Quik has often bemoaned the lack of appreciation for his contributions to Hip Hop. Earlier this year, he burned a three-figure check from Death Row Records on Instagram Live in the midst of a rant about not receiving the proper credit.

“I’m not so happy,” he said. “I’m real offended by this Death Row check and this amount. As much work as I did for these sons of bitches, I feel the respect factor is crazy. There is none. So to show you how much your money means to me, Mr. Death Row Records — all the 2Pac stuff I did, help with Tha Dogg Pound project. Devil, you are a bitch. I want my real money and I want all my credits for everything that I did in this industry.

“All the songs, including ‘Hot In Here’ by Nelly and Pharrell. I want my credit for being ‘Get Nekkid.’ I want my credit from Kendrick Lamar — and this is no disrespect to Kendrick Lamar, I love TDE, you guys are awesome — but the fact y’all left my credit off ‘King Kunta’ [To Pimp A Butterfly] was crazy.”

He added: All Eyez On Me, it’s my credit, I want that. ‘In Da Club,’ ‘If I Can’t,’ I helped with those records by 50 Cent. I want that too. I want all my credits. I’m starting to get to a point where I’m impatient and I feel disrespected. I’m not going to be the underdog of this music industry anymore. I am to be respected as a king and a lord that I am, a God when it comes to production. I need all of my fucking credits.”

Andeyhollawho

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'll say this. DJ Quik has always been one of my top ten producers ever and a solid number 2 behind Dre in West Coast production. Honestly he could make a claim for number one just off beats and instrumentation alone, but impact is a bitch and Dre put on the most iconic rappers in West Coast history!

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dre had Ruthless,Deathrow,Aftermath and he worked with artist to shape their careers,Quik had a few but mostly his friends and he said it himself that after Moss Berg's death he wanted to just give up.

Dre also had Interscope backing him on everything

chemist

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's his fault if he didn't get the credit he thinks he deserves. 50, Kendrick & Pharrell all came out in the 2000's. Dj Quik was an established name by then so why didn't he make sure his name was on those records so he got his proper credit and residuals? Even with Pac's music. He wasn't a youngster and should have known better.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Caught that convo when he tweeted it. He do tho. Not saying he should take Dre’s spot but be placed in the same regard. Quik was more underground whereas Dre was mainstream. They've both made dope records for some of the same artist early and late in their careers only difference is you probably didn't notice Quik’s influence as readily as you would Dre’s. Quik of course has a deeper body of work than Dre but Dre has more popular mainstream hits.

TX4lyfe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is referring to fame or money?! Because that Beats by Dre deal was only going to happen for one person and Quik can still find a similar opportunity somewhere. Else depending on who you talk to Quik is just as famous as Dre.

Andeyhollawho

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's his fault if he didn't get the credit he thinks he deserves. 50, Kendrick & Pharrell all came out in the 2000's. Dj Quik was an established name by then so why didn't he make sure his name was on those records so he got his proper credit and residuals? Even with Pac's music. He wasn't a youngster and should have known better.

I think he's saying exactly what you are saying but from the opposite direction! He's saying if he's sitting in the studio with Dre and he say, "use these drums, change that note, play it like this, etc..." that he was a big enough name to NOT have to worry about his credit. So he might have put them on the right path but in the end it didn't end up sounding exactly how he suggested. That's still credit in production. Kanye credit every damn body even if you just play a hi-hat pattern he liked. Dre don't do that apparently.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Quik is correct.
Dre used his drums on In da club - quik gave em to him for the sake of good music.
Mistake - Dre didn't snake him but you gotta make sure you get your credit at all times.
Quik is an amazing producer in every sense
Dre is too but Dre will also call in "session" players like the old days and give them credit for playing the instrument but not actually producing

Quik is immortalized he really loved his raps and has as much talent as anyone period not divided by coast.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Quik is correct.
Dre used his drums on In da club - quik gave em to him for the sake of good music.
Mistake - Dre didn't snake him but you gotta make sure you get your credit at all times.
Dre is too but Dre will also call in "session" players like the old days and give them credit for playing the instrument but not actually producing

Quik is immortalized he really loved his raps and has as much talent as anyone period not divided by coast.

/thread

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I don't like all that DESERVE stuff.

Cause its not JUST the GOOD.

You want the BAD too?

would he also want Dre illness?

Everyone makes their own path

Dre NEVER dissed Quik and those who KNOW?

THEY KNOW who and what Quik is... which is an undisputed legend.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Quik is correct.

I heard this crazy story that Quik gave Dre In the Club because it was HIS fault the sample was not cleared for Truth Hurts record that cost them a LOT of MONEY.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I heard that, not sure how true it is. And Eminem's first cd wasn't produced by dre, but he got a bunch of credit for everything Eminem

Bass Brothers right?

They got paid and got credit for production that's most important

Dre executive produced right?

And it was Dre that made Em the legend he is.

Dre earned all the credit he got.

cheyisrameyah

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Nothing against Quik. The man is a legend. I always felt that Quik should've ventured out of just hip hop more. The Quik Grooves and the time he spent with Tony Toni Tone showed that he had the skill for it.

Quik complains about stuff like this every so often. I hope that he is able to the paperwork and credits in order.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Which means he produced it then said it's fine then Dre took credit for production

Well well well

And quik did do Addictive

Which based on the lawsuit alone Quik should have given Dre TEN BEATS.

But I feel "giving" the drums to Dre is a great story and part of history but I don't have issue with him off the credits if he KNEW what it was going to be and WHY.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Quik one of my favorite producers ever and I agree. Not to mention he never needed a big ass ensemble of niggas to help him like Dre. Dre always had ghost producers, Quik didn’t need that , if anybody is a genuine genius it’s Quik. He also slaughtered one of my favorites Mc Eiht when they had beef LOL that shit was pure destruction

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Well well well

And quik did do Addictive

Which based on the lawsuit alone Quik should have given Dre TEN BEATS.

But I feel "giving" the drums to Dre is a great story and part of history but I don't have issue with him off the credits if he KNEW what it was going to be and WHY.

But he produced the drums though
So he deserves the credit

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
:roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2:

well if u deserve to b...let me know how thats working out...foh... if u did u would b there but umm nope i guess not...shit everyone got opinions like everyone got assholes:dunno::dunno:

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
this