Sickle Cell Awareness Thread: Sickle Cell Awareness Month 2023! UPDATE: FDA APPROVES GENE THERAPY

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I just had a crisis a couple weeks back, painful back pain and hospital stay

Juiced me up with Morphine so I can sleep, was screaming and hollering all night in pain.

Doc said to lighten up a bit, drop 20 pounds and exercise a bit more. Gotta lay off the fast food

I heard some states have free healthcare for sickle cell but Florida isn't one of them, gotta get these bills paid.

If y'all got any info pass along, I'm looking for some assistance and possibly a cure one day.

Respect just for being alive fam.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

Finally got my shit together enough to do an online fundraiser.

Can you send me a link to a reputable charity that either supports research for a cure or provides treatment and support to those who suffer?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Dear Editor,

Our community-based organization, Tapestry Connections, is celebrating World Sickle Cell Awareness Day on June 19, 2022. The theme is “Shine the Light on Sickle Cell Disease.” The United Nations established World Sickle Cell Awareness Day in 2008.

Our desired goal is to increase awareness, build support networks, raise critical resources, and strengthen our collective resolve to advocate for access to sickle cell services and a cure for sickle cell disease.

Sickle cell disease (SCD) is one of the world’s most prominent leading genetic diseases that has severe physical, psychological and social consequences for those affected and their families. In its most homozygote form, it is one of the most lethal genetic diseases, affecting 90,000 to 100,000 Americans. As such, SCD is a significant public health concern. Studies show that the annual cost of medical care in the US for people who suffer from SCD exceeds $1.1 billion. The sickle cell warriors would like the community to use red lights in their windows/ porches/vestibules on June 19.

On behalf of the Sickle Cell Community, we greatly appreciate your help in shining a light on this disease and thereby helping to enhance the quality of life for families and individuals affected with SCD.

Thank you in advance for your support of the sickle cell community.

Sincerely,

Deloris Mitchell, PhD Executive director, Tapestry Connections, Inc.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

VAN HOLLEN, BOOKER INTRODUCE RESOLUTION SUPPORTING WORLD SICKLE CELL AWARENESS DAY
U.S. Senator Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) joined Senator Cory Booker (D-N.J.) in introducing a resolution expressing support for the designation of June 19, 2022 as “World Sickle Cell Awareness Day” to increase public awareness about sickle cell disease and the continued need for research, early detection, and effective treatments that lead to a cure. The resolution was also cosponsored by Senators Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) and Alex Padilla (D-Calif.). Companion legislation was introduced in the House by Representatives Danny Davis (D-Ill.-07th), Michael Burgess (R-Texas-26th), Burgess Owens (R-Utah-4th), G.K. Butterfield (D-N.C.-1st), and Barbara Lee (D-Calif.-13th).

Sickle cell disease (SCD) is a rare, inherited disorder that causes a person’s red blood cells to become deformed and get stuck in their veins, blocking oxygen flow throughout the body. In the United States, 100,000 people are affected by SCD, including 1 in every 365 African-American births, and 1 in every 16,300 Hispanic-American births. Around the world, sickle cell disease affects millions of people, particularly in certain areas of sub-Saharan African, eastern Saudi Arabia, and central India. In countries with fewer resources, more than 90 percent of children diagnosed with sickle cell disease do not live to see adulthood. Despite being the most common inherited blood disorder in our country, research, treatment, and awareness efforts for the disease still lag far behind other chronic illnesses.

“Sickle cell disease impacts millions of people every year, and yet for too long it hasn’t received the resources necessary to fight it. Raising awareness about this disease – and increasing funding to better understand, detect, and treat it – has got to be a priority. For me, this issue hits close to home, as my office recently lost a beloved member of our team to sickle cell disease. I will continue working to honor his memory – and the memory of all of those lost to this disease – with action,” said Sen. Van Hollen.

“Sickle cell disease continues to be a global health concern affecting millions of people,” said Sen. Booker. “In the United States and worldwide, the disease disproportionately impacts Black people, and over 90 percent of children with the disease in regions with poor health care infrastructure and a lack of medical resources do not reach adulthood. This resolution calls on the United States to lead in developing new and innovative therapeutic approaches as well as global initiatives to support people living with sickle cell disease.”

“Sickle Cell Disease is not a partisan issue but rather, one that is nonpartisan. From working across the aisle to working alongside my colleagues in the Senate, it is a policy area that desperately needs addressing”, said Congressman Danny Davis. “Senator Booker has remains a champion for patients living with Sickle Cell and their families to help bring better treatment options including a cure for this rare disease.”

“Sickle cell disease can lead to many medical complications – but even though millions of people around the world are affected by this disease, research, detection and treatment are too far behind,” said Sen. Brown. “As a nation, we must commit ourselves to gaining a better understanding of sickle cell disease through research, and must also develop a better treatment strategy for patients around the globe.”

“Sickle cell disease impacts nearly 100,000 Americans, many of them young children of color who require frequent, high-quality medical care,” said Sen. Padilla. “We must strengthen our health care system and increase medical resources for Americans impacted by this disease. I’m supporting this resolution to reaffirm our commitment to making the United States a leader in developing more efficient practices for researching and treating sickle cell disease.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Alexander A. Boucher, M.D., FAAP
“Sickle cell disease (SCD) is an inherited blood disorder that affects several hundred Minnesotans, one hundred thousand Americans and millions worldwide. It can lead to progressive problems in all organs — most often pain, pneumonia and kidney disease — which can lead to early death. In the United States, most individuals with SCD are Black and face barriers to care due to structural racism and other social determinants of health. At the University of Minnesota, we are engaged in cutting-edge bench-to-bedside research, including working to cure SCD. We are simultaneously working with multidisciplinary medical teams to provide a more equitable, transparent and holistic approach to care across our system.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

DOH Leon Marks World Sickle Cell Day
June 15, 2022

DOH Leon Recognizes World Sickle Cell Day

Tallahassee, Fla.
– Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) is the most common genetic disease worldwide and is estimated to affect 8,000 people in Florida and some 100,000 people nationwide. The Florida Department of Health in Leon County (DOH Leon) recognizes June 19 as World Sickle Cell Day and encourages citizens to consider blood donation to support those living with SCD.

Every baby born in a hospital in the United States is tested for SCD. SCD is most common among African Americans. It can cause severe episodes of pain, anemia requiring blood transfusions, and frequent hospitalizations due to effects on other organs. Though there is no cure, treatments and support services are available for those in Leon County living with SCD.

“A significant way to support those with Sickle Cell Disease in Leon County is to donate blood,” said Sandon Speedling, MHS, CPM, CPH, DOH Leon Interim Health Officer. “Those with SCD must receive frequent blood transfusions. Having a diverse supply of blood types is crucial for these patients.”

DOH Leon will join the Sickle Cell Disease Foundation of Tallahassee and other partners for a community health fair to mark World Sickle Cell Disease Day:

Community Health Fair
Saturday | June 18, 2022
10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
2625 South Adams Street
Tallahassee, FL 32301
(Free food giveaways, games, prizes, free health screenings for the sickle cell trait, on-site health vendors, health education brochures)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
fathersday759.jpg

BIG GRAVY

wannabe star
BGOL Investor

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
Finally got my shit together enough to do an online fundraiser.

Can you send me a link to a reputable charity that either supports research for a cure or provides treatment and support to those who suffer?
I tuned in briefly to check out the mixcloud show. Respect.

*If you can, eliminate that electrical hum that played during the set.

bkqns718

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anyone know anyone on Hydroxeau?
Son has been on it for most of his life. It has been the game changer IMO we used to freak out whenever he got a fever but honestly he has only had 2 mild pain crises

If you have doubts about it or questions let me know but honestly its one of the better treatments out there. The research/therapy is getting better however but hydroxurea has worked well for my son other people have varying results but we are very strict about the dosage he gets on a daily basis

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Son has been on it for most of his life. It has been the game changer IMO we used to freak out whenever he got a fever but honestly he has only had 2 mild pain crises

If you have doubts about it or questions let me know but honestly its one of the better treatments out there. The research/therapy is getting better however but hydroxurea has worked well for my son other people have varying results but we are very strict about the dosage he gets on a daily basis

I want to try it but I ain't want to give blood again. How's his strength. Is he very active and does he tire easily?

bkqns718

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I want to try it but I ain't want to give blood again. How's his strength. Is he very active and does he tire easily?
Highly active (Only 6 though) just started soccer camp and everything. We make sure he is religiously drinking water everyday as well. So that helps as well. Results do vary when it comes to Sickle Cell Crises in terms of frequency from person to person, but as other mention in this thread, taking care of yourself diet-wise and water-wise goes a long way.

Other oral meds I believe are FDA approved right now. It is worth reaching out your Hematologist to see if there are other options

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Highly active (Only 6 though) just started soccer camp and everything. We make sure he is religiously drinking water everyday as well. So that helps as well. Results do vary when it comes to Sickle Cell Crises in terms of frequency from person to person, but as other mention in this thread, taking care of yourself diet-wise and water-wise goes a long way.

Other oral meds I believe are FDA approved right now. It is worth reaching out your Hematologist to see if there are other options

Plan to do that, gonna hit my doctor up and see what he says. I think I need it since I'm always tired but then again by BMI is around 25-30% so I need to slim down but when I excerise my back flares up which leads to a painful crisis.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

Juiced me up with Morphine so I can sleep, was screaming and hollering all night in pain.

Doc said to lighten up a bit, drop 20 pounds and exercise a bit more. Gotta lay off the fast food

I heard some states have free healthcare for sickle cell but Florida isn't one of them, gotta get these bills paid.

If y'all got any info pass along, I'm looking for some assistance and possibly a cure one day.
hang in there man.

...did anybody else discover that they were carrying SC during basic training?
i remember looking at my dog tags and seeing the words 'sickle cell'
my first though was 'what the fuck is this?'
then i figured it must be the trait and no big deal, since nobody ever addressed it with me.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
hang in there man.

...did anybody else discover that they were carrying SC during basic training?
i remember looking at my dog tags and seeing the words 'sickle cell'
my first though was 'what the fuck is this?'
then i figured it must be the trait and no big deal, since nobody ever addressed it with me.

What?!?

You should DEFINITELY follow that up fam.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Plan to do that, gonna hit my doctor up and see what he says. I think I need it since I'm always tired but then again by BMI is around 25-30% so I need to slim down but when I excerise my back flares up which leads to a painful crisis.

Bro I should have given you more support i got flooded there for a minute.

So far the bgol family has given you solid advice

Imma hit you

bkqns718

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Just to follow up also. My cousin is dealing with bullshit hematologists in Florida that don't know jack shit about sickle cell. Be careful of the old white male hematologists in Florida, they try to help but they are more versed in other blood disorders

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Just to follow up also. My cousin is dealing with bullshit hematologists in Florida that don't know jack shit about sickle cell. Be careful of the old white male hematologists in Florida, they try to help but they are more versed in other blood disorders

^^^^

I got so many stories unfortunately I can't break confidence to share about this topic

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I cannot believe this.

damn damn damn...

I was JUST talking about Prodigy because...

My brand new baby girl was recently diagnosed with sickle cell disease...been tough.

but I've been getting a lot support especially with others on the board going through the same thing.

gonna make a dedicated thread with info advice and help.

Condolences to his family and friends.

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/index.html
http://www.sicklecellsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Lets-Talk-About-Sickle-Cell.pdf

So is it that she has the disease or she has the trait that if she has a baby with someone else that has the trait the baby will have the disease?