Sickle Cell Awareness Thread: Sickle Cell Awareness Month 2023! UPDATE: FDA APPROVES GENE THERAPY

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sad truth is.....when you have a condition that only affectd 100,000 people in a country of 360+ million.......companies don t like to research for them because they won t make money due to the low number of people with the condition.

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
from areas where malaria is prevalent.....and the sickle cells are malaria resistent
this makes sense but its just sad that descendants of folks who were in west africa and malaria stricken locations still carry that trait 300 years later..even thought they dont currently face a malaria epidemic....wait, i thought we were supposed to be hebrew israelites or jews !im not sure there is malaria in israel ..anyway

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
it is because of evolution..sickle cell affects those from areas where malaria is prevalent.....and the sickle cells are malaria resistent.

it affects people from parts of Africa...South America and Asia..

I don't know if you mean that's where it originated, but it affects Black people here too. My lil cousin died late last year. He lived much longer than the average and was well known in the sickl cell community of Los Angeles where he volunteered and was an inspiration to many young people with the same disease.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Why not just take Glutamine if that's the main ingredient in this drug?

What many with sickle cell need to understand is the cells sickle and starve organs of oxygenated blood. So my remedy is to supply the body with more blood cells with the right type of iron, #4 Ferrum Phosphoricum. Folic Acid also is crucial. L-Arginine is also good for sicklers to take.

I have my own little remedies that I have been treating my kids with for over 20 yrs. Things I've learned from Dr Sebi and others who are health professionals. I'm just not an advocate of drugs. Prefer the all natural route. Using drugs as a last resort. Because of the toll they put on your body over time.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Why not just take Glutamine if that's the main ingredient in this drug?

What many with sickle cell need to understand is the cells sickle and starve organs of oxygenated blood. So my remedy is to supply the body with more blood cells with the right type of iron, #4 Ferrum Phosphoricum. Folic Acid also is crucial. L-Arginine is also good for sicklers to take.

I have my own little remedies that I have been treating my kids with for over 20 yrs. Things I've learned from Dr Sebi and others who are health professionals. I'm just not an advocate of drugs. Prefer the all natural route. Using drugs as a last resort. Because of the toll they put on your body over time.

Fam...

As someone who is JUST going through it right now.

Its mad hard meeting with these doctors.

And the reactions and treatments are VERY different when I went AFTER you gave me a cheat sheet to ask them during the initial visit.

To be fair though, everyone's case is a little different

SO I want everyone to understand what might work for me and Mixd kids might NOT be good in your particular case.

I met a team who was ready to put my girl on oxy at 6- 9 months at the very first sign of a crisis...

and I also met some who wanted to hold off on giving my baby ANYTHING until 6 months .

Its really tricky.

And its SPECIFICALLY because it effects PRIMARILY Black people that is so underfunded.

there is NO F*CKING REASON we are NOT further along in treatment and CURING this.

NONE.

But everything Mixd is recommending is good for treatment

HELL eating healthy and taking these supplements are just GOOD for EVERYONE!

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Fam...

As someone who is JUST going through it right now.

Its mad hard meeting with these doctors.

And the reactions and treatments are VERY different when I went AFTER you gave me a cheat sheet to ask them during the initial visit.

To be fair though, everyone's case is a little different

SO I want everyone to understand what might work for me and Mixd kids might NOT be good in your particular case.

I met a team who was ready to put my girl on oxy at 6- 9 months at the very first sign of a crisis...

and I also met some who wanted to hold off on giving my baby ANYTHING until 6 months .

Its really tricky.

And its SPECIFICALLY because it effects PRIMARILY Black people that is so underfunded.

there is NO F*CKING REASON we are NOT further along in treatment and CURING this.

NONE.

But everything Mixd is recommending is good for treatment

HELL eating healthy and taking these supplements are just GOOD for EVERYONE!
Yeah no doc is gonna like the natural route. Doctors are not taught nutrition, so their only course is to throw drugs at any ailment. They frown upon anything called natural.

I've been thru many hospital stays with my kids so what I do to mine is my own remedies as I have done my due diligence over the years but am always still learning as in this post never knew Glutamine helped. So I will chalk that one up too and suggest it for my daughter.

I have two kids with the disease but my older daughter is the one who eats more junk type food then her younger brother and is away at college so that adds to me not being able to monitor all she's eating. But she very well feels it when she does dumb chit. Like her freshman year, she drank one night partying with friends, bought her 8 days in the hosp.

Keeping your body in alkaline is major to keeping a crisis at bay. Period

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah no doc is gonna like the natural route. Doctors are not taught nutrition, so their only course is to throw drugs at any ailment. They frown upon anything called natural.

I've been thru many hospital stays with my kids so what I do to mine is my own remedies as I have done my due diligence over the years but am always still learning as in this post never knew Glutamine helped. So I will chalk that one up too and suggest it for my daughter.

I have two kids with the disease but my older daughter is the one who eats more junk type food then her younger brother and is away at college so that adds to me not being able to monitor all she's eating. But she very well feels it when she does dumb chit. Like her freshman year, she drank one night partying with friends, bought her 8 days in the hosp.

Keeping your body in alkaline is major to keeping a crisis at bay. Period

^^^^^

we met with a former of collegue of Dr. Rao (he retired) and seriously considering switching because she actually really agrees with a lot of the treatment you recommended.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Sickle-Cell-Awareness-Day.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I was actually writing a sci-fi that borders on your statement...the disease is a forced generational trauma and part of the evil that the cac used biologically on the voyage on slave ships for immunity to Malaria:smh::smh:.......those evil motherfuckers :angry::angry:
Malaria is the main reason Europeans only colonized a relatively small part of Africa.

Sickle-Cell-Awareness-Day.jpg

sheppettybone

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I lost a friend years ago to sickle cell. I have the trait that I inherited from my dad. It's heartbreaking to know that we are not more advanced in finding a cure.

Playa...I called that number for a bracelet but it seemed to be unavailable.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
anyone know why it affects black people more than other races

I don't know if you mean that's where it originated, but it affects Black people here too. My lil cousin died late last year. He lived much longer than the average and was well known in the sickl cell community of Los Angeles where he volunteered and was an inspiration to many young people with the same disease.

yeah I'm talking origins....

Prodigy lived way longer than most and then to die from choking on a damn egg...

Condolences for your families loss

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
yes this month is Sickle Cell Awareness Month...

but my brother Mixd got hit by that damn hurricane

so we NEED to spread some love and prayers to his whole family.

They truly need it and deserve it....

So if you can give anything you can to the hurricane relief cause...

prayers go out to ALL the families effected.

We gonna be fighting this disease for awhile you can donate whenever you can.