Sickle Cell Awareness Thread: Sickle Cell Awareness Month 2023! UPDATE: FDA APPROVES GENE THERAPY

bkqns718

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I heard it's like 2.2 million smh

crackers will never care
Don't get caught up in the price too much.... my wife works in the space she told me usually this new fda treatments tend to be on the higher side it will decrease over the course of time. The cost of caring for sickle cell crisis in a ER is like 500k/per year per person or something like that.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Im keep a eye out for vocational rehab or any form of treatments for fl]folks with no money imao i need this badly.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I can understand the backlash and not wanting to be a punchline......

But I think the part SNL didn't say was

"Some ppl are not interested in that experimental shit."

As shown by reaction to the covid vaccines.....

And as potentially dangerous as the Vax may have been, there are a lot of unknown dangers with editing your DNA.....

You edit a strain for cancer and mfkrs may have weekend retinas and go blind.....

There's just so many genes/ features tied together and we have no idea how manipulating one can affect others

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member

My little boy was born at Johns Hopkins to a mother who could barely feed herself and the other kid she already had. My son was the father. He had a crisis on day 1 and we all realized that he needed special attention and resources. We politely requested that, rather than give her child support for 18, that she let us, with a big house and health insurance. take care of him. She agreed and practically walked out of his life. He had his spleen removed when he was 3, and practically did away with SC crises. He still had them, but much less frequently. They started monthly infusions at age 12. Finally, at age 18, just after he finished HS, he had a stem cell transplant, made possible because his father was a match.

He is SC free at age 25, recently married and completing college, since he had to put everything on hold for 2 years while he prepared for the transplant.

Last edited:

bkqns718

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

My little boy was born at Johns Hopkins to a mother who could barely feed herself and the other kid she already had. My son was the father. He had a crisis on day 1 and we all realized that he needed special attention and resources. We politely requested that, rather than give her child support for 18, that she let us, with a big house and health insurance. take care of him. She agreed and practically walked out of his life. He had his spleen removed when he was 3, and practically did away with SC crises. He still had them, but much less frequently. They started monthly infusions at age 12. Finally, at age 18, just after he finished HS, he had a stem cell transplant, made possible because his father was a match.

He is SC free at age 25, recently married and completing college, since he had to put everything on hold while he prepared for the transplant.

I am happy to hear that the stem cell transplant work for the him. I am always looking for real life/personal experiences with people that have went through the process

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

He is SC free at age 25, recently married and completing college, since he had to put everything on hold while he prepared for the transplant.
wow...that's huge and a blessing bro. good to have a real life experience on the subject

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
I am happy to hear that the stem cell transplant work for the him. I am always looking for real life/personal experiences with people that have went through the process

He was in a program that required quarterly check ups for five years. He was all clear after one year, and now hasn't seen a doctor for two years. Except he's planning to go to school to be a physician's assistant and has been doing 12 hour shifts at the training hospital
wow...that's huge and a blessing bro. good to have a real life experience on the subject