Dallas cop enters wrong apartment, kills Black man Botham Jean who lives there [LIVE TRIAL LINK]

PliggaNease

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
ADMIN UPDATE 9.23.2019 LIVE TRIAL LINK

CRIME AT1 HR AGOFACEBOOK

• EMAIL
author-default-image.png

Written by

Don't miss a story. Like us on Facebook.

LIKE DALLAS NEWS' FACEBOOK PAGE

Updated at 10:30 a.m. with comments from Jean's university and employer.

A Dallas officer fatally shot a 26-year-old man Thursday night when she entered his apartment near downtown, mistaking it for her own, police say.

The officer was not hurt in the 10 p.m. shooting at the South Side Flats at 1210 S. Lamar St., blocks from Dallas police headquarters in the Cedars.

Police officials say she had arrived at the complex after working a full shift and was still in full uniform when she entered the victim's apartment, thinking it was her home.

The victim was identified as Botham Shem Jean, a native of the Caribbean island nation of Saint Lucia. A graduate of Harding University in Arkansas, he's worked at PricewaterhouseCoopers, according to his LinkedIn.

1536329890-jean.JPG

Botham Jean, 26, was shot and killed inside his apartment at the South Side Flats near downtown Dallas.
(Facebook)
Authorities did not explain how the situation escalated to the shooting, declining to comment on whether the officer mistook Jean for an intruder.

"I won't go into that information right now," said Sgt. Warren Mitchell, a Dallas police spokesman. "We have not interviewed her. ... We still have a lot to do in this investigation."

Mitchell said that after the officer reported Jean was wounded, other police officers who responded administered first aid to him. He was taken to Baylor University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The officer, who has not been publicly identified, was placed on leave while the shooting is investigated with the Dallas district attorney's office.

According to the St. Lucia Times, Jean was the son of Alison Jean, who has served as permanent secretary for the island's Department of Education, Innovation & Gender Relations as well as the Ministry of Infrastructure, Port Services & Transport.

Permanent secretaries supervise government departments, under direct management from the nation's ministers.

Jean's uncle paid tribute to the man Friday morning on Facebook.

"My heart goes with you my boy ... never thought this day would come, wanted to be there for you always my boy ... how can this nasty world take you away from me," Earl Jean wrote.

My heart goes with you my boy...never thought this day would come ,wanted to be there for you always my boy ...how can...

Posted by Earl Jean on Friday, September 7, 2018

"[He was] a powerful singer," Tracy Moore, a preacher who knew Jean from a Church of Christ Caribbean lecture series told The Christian Chronicle. "Always a spirit of joy that flowed from him.

"He was a great guy who loved to smile, very positive leader for the young men that we had here," fellow Harding student Romas Roberson said. "Everyone loved his voice!"

Harding University officials were mourning the beloved former worship leader at morning chapel services, a university employee said.

"We're all deeply grieved," spokeswoman Jana Rucker said. "He was just one of those people who really stood out, with his voice and his leadership."

"This is a terrible tragedy," PricewaterhouseCoopers wrote in a statement. "Botham Jean was a member of the PwC family in our Dallas office and we are simply heartbroken to hear of his death."

It was unclear how the officer got into the wrong apartment, where residents said they can access their units with a regular key or through a keypad code.

Police did not indicate that anyone else had witnessed the shooting, but two women who live on the second floor near where the shooting happened said they heard a lot of noise late Thursday.

"It was, like, police talk: 'Open up! Open up!'" 20-year-old Caitlin Simpson said.

Yazmine Hernandez, 20, was studying with Simpson when they heard the commotion.

"We heard cops yelling," she said, "but otherwise had no idea what was going on."

Other residents of the South Side Flats struggled to understand how the shooting happened.

"How can you make a mistake like that, getting into someone else's apartment?" said 80-year-old Raquel, who has lived in the complex for less than a year. "Don't they train police?"

The woman, who says she never gives out her last name, said she'd think twice when calling the police after this experience.

"Now if something happens to me," she said, "I'm going to be too scared to call police because I'm afraid it will end in a tragedy."

1536328996-southside.jpg

The South Side Flats are just up the street from Dallas police headquarters
(Vernon Bryant/Staff Photographer)
Tomiya Melvin lives in a nearby apartment complex and found out about the shooting while she was walking her dog in the morning.

"It's terrible. I hope it's just a tragic accident and nothing more than that," said Melvin, who moved to Dallas from Chicago in June. "This area appealed to me because it always seemed so safe, and so far it has been.

"But I won't be leaving my door unlocked anymore; that's for sure."

Did you miss these stories?

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Authorities did not explain how the situation escalated to the shooting, declining to comment on whether the officer mistook Jean for an intruder.

"I won't go into thatinformation right now," said Sgt. Warren Mitchell, aDallas police spokesman."We have not interviewedher. ... We still have a lot todo in this investigation."
in other words they have to get her lie right
How is this possible. I like how they making excuses saying she worked a full shift

All :bullshit: :angry:

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think its kinda obvious what happend..

she rolled up in bruhs house, bruh was like

pissed ass fuck... instead of admitting she fucked up

got indignant rather than be apologetic, it was too much for her to be professional and grown able to admit ones mistake and tragedy ensues

of course its just my humble opinion..

but a nigga neva wrong tho....

supreme_kos

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There's GOTTA BE more to the story....how do you enter the wrong apartment, not realize you're in the wrong apartment, encounter a person who RIGHTFULLY lives there, draw your weapon, still NOT realize you're in the wrong apartment, decide to shoot someone....
Upon entering, if the door was unlocked, and you assume someone was in the apartment, and decide to draw your weapon, you should be conscious of your environment. At that point you should be able to recognize the familiarity (or not) of the residence....
Unless the victim was just standing in the doorway, and startled her, why would she immediately assume a threat?
So many questions that need answers...

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why would any cops be yelling open up?

You know she's the one that called it in.

Let's hear that call.
She thought it was her place...couldn't get in and probably heard dude on the other side of the door. So that is probably why she started yelling open up.

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
Didn't this happen in Houston too? Seems like I've seen this before.

Fucked up regardless. RIP to the young man.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Wait.. She didn't enter "the wrong apartment". She actually thought she was entering her own got dam house!!?!?!?!

How the fuck is this even possible???!

OP thread title doesn't articulate just how fucking insane this is. I thought the cop served a warrant on the wrong address and shot an innocent. This pig entered a home she thought was her own and murdered the actual resident!!