CRUISE SHIPS In BAD WEATHER......Hell Naw

nworba

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Some were below sea level. That would not have been me. I'd have got a few of my shits and my lady and headed up closer to the life boats.

King_of_Posts

Rising Star
Registered
For the Navy vets or those with knowledge:

In those VERY choppy waters with waves 40ft or more, will a survival suit keep you alive? To a non Navy person like myself.....it just looks completely inhospitable. Those life boats look like they would be worthless too. Not saying they would be, but just looks that way. The constant smaller waves would take their toll also.

How does one survive in waters like that? Or do you?

Last edited:

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered

In those VERY choppy waters with waves 40ft or more, will a survival suit keep you alive? To a non Navy person like myself.....it just looks completely inhospitable. Those life boats look like they would be worthless too. Not saying they would be, but just looks that way. The constant smaller waves would take their toll also.

Good questions... This should be interesting, when the navy vets starts jumping in. I have a few questions for those navy kats, also...

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was on one out of Galveston few years ago. Wasn’t that bad but the shit was bad. They told everybody to stay in their rooms. Shit was falling off counters. They put out those vomit bags everywhere. Rough shit.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why not have bench or row seating instead of loose chairs and tables?

I've never been on a cruise so I have no frame of reference

$moneyPit$

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dam, i'm going on a cruise in July. It's crazy how cacs laugh and admire the possibility of there ship capsizing, white fun at It's finest. The editor of that vid has death music in the background...smh

Moving Target

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

NAVY Vet .....yeah...that aint shit esp if you go into the north or arctic seas or a hurricane. been through 2 of those....it was fun though...walking on the walls like the matrix and watching the newbies and shit talkers turn into jelly.

The life boats are design to survive those kind of seas. if you are strapped in and secured. BUT you will be scrambled if you stay out there too long bc it will wear you out. think of an taking a jar with contents inside and shaking the shit of it. it looks fine on the outside but the insides will be fatigued as hell. the sea is beautiful but most be respected.

those cruise ships are a lot tougher than they look, esp the modern ones. IT LOOKS WORSE THAN IT REALLY IS...but you have to be mindful and pay attention....like the video where the water was coming INTO the ship. down the fucking stairs. I would have to be in the fucking Pilot house asking WTF and inching the family towards a life boat bc that's r-e-a-l danger.

the staff knows a lot more than they let on but cant tell you. So keep an eye on them as well. its human nature not to keep a straight face in real dangerous situations, so if the staff starts to worry then you should too.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Okay then what is bad shot because that shit wants me to stay in lane so that I don't lose my shit.

*two cents*

Last spot I was working was off the coast of south Africa where the Atlantic and Indian ocean currents meet. 2nd strongest currents on the planet.

Our rig has thrusters to stay in place and the current was so strong they hooked a chain to a boat and the boat had to help keep the rig in place. They also had to tilt the rig to keep the drill string straight.

We also had to move 100 kilometers off location and drift with the current while running the BOP so it wouldn't snap off.

This has never been successfully done in this location and even though we found hydrocarbons the technology to extract it doesn't exist yet.

The guys on the boat had to tie themselves in their bunks to keep from falling out and they couldn't use the ROV at all most days.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Two things in nature I have the utmost respect, and fear of, are tornadoes and the sea.

Tornadoes are insanely powerful and wildly unpredictable. Not only that but the shit they pick up and throw can wax your ass miles away. The sea, well, anybody who has stood knee deep in the surf at a beach and felt the pull of the undertow as the waves go out should know right there the sea is nothing to fool with. So powerful and unrelenting. And vast.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Larger cruise ships avoid bad weather all together as well as have stabilizer bars to prevent roll like that.

I never forget one cruise we were on and had to turn back around because 3 people onboard had injuries and they needed to get close enough for a helicopter to get to them.

So they turned around and on the way back on course, the ship was going at top speed to catch up the lost time, thru a light storm but the dips on the boat at the front and back were no joke and was at night.

Most of those boats seemed pretty small compared to the larger cruise ships I've been on. I guess that's why all I've been on completely avoid storms in charting their courses.

mad_bomber

BGOL Billionaire
BGOL Investor
Good shit. Also, checked out the large ship launches thanks to this post. That was cool too. I went on two cruises when I was a kid. The seas were pretty tame from what I remember.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Man fucked that shit... right in the first 3 minutes whenthe ship was tipped half way over.... shitted naw i cant do that shit.....:smh::smh:

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
What would you navy kats do, when you were in rough seas or oceans?? Would you do your normal job or would you go into safe mode or something along those lines??

Work. Rough seas didn't stop shit. They would just secure the desks i.e. extremely limited travel outside of the ship.

I was on an amphib. We had crests and troughs high and deep enough for waves to hit above windows on the bridge. Some even hit the Signalman's Shack which was the highest deck on the island. If you zoom in on this image, the glass building to the right of the highest white dome is the Signalman's Shack.

nass5.jpg

Navy pilots land helicopters in this. I couldn't find a US one.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Some of those shots looked like that scene from Intastellar where they were on that water planet and waves were like a 100 stories tall.

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Ex-Navy. What's a survival suit? You mean like a SCUBA outfit or something similar? Nope, won't save you.

The good news is that those waves aren't shit & you're actually pretty damn safe on the ships of today.

Life boats are built for roughness...you'll be surprised at how durable those things are.

But to answer your question in full, us Navy folks "batten down the hatches"...You seal off all doorways & strap down anything that can slide or fly off on the ship (if it has a deck). The bilge boys fill the bilges up with water to keep the ship steady & everyone goes about their day.

The worst part about storms like this in the Navy? The fuel usually winds up leaking into the potable water, so your shower water smells like gas for a few weeks.

NAVY Vet .....yeah...that aint shit esp if you go into the north or arctic seas or a hurricane. been through 2 of those....it was fun though...walking on the walls like the matrix and watching the newbies and shit talkers turn into jelly.

The life boats are design to survive those kind of seas. if you are strapped in and secured. BUT you will be scrambled if you stay out there too long bc it will wear you out. think of an taking a jar with contents inside and shaking the shit of it. it looks fine on the outside but the insides will be fatigued as hell. the sea is beautiful but most be respected.

those cruise ships are a lot tougher than they look, esp the modern ones. IT LOOKS WORSE THAN IT REALLY IS...but you have to be mindful and pay attention....like the video where the water was coming INTO the ship. down the fucking stairs. I would have to be in the fucking Pilot house asking WTF and inching the family towards a life boat bc that's r-e-a-l danger.

the staff knows a lot more than they let on but cant tell you. So keep an eye on them as well. its human nature not to keep a straight face in real dangerous situations, so if the staff starts to worry then you should too.

Well, I didn't see this until I wrote everything above...

That water on the ship was from an open bulkhead, I just know it. And I have no idea why the cruise ships had people outside of the boat during a storm or why the ballrooms weren't closed off & the furniture piled to one corner. But I've never done a cruise, so maybe it's a little different...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Grandpa was a fisherman. Lost a decent number of friends at sea. Fortunately he himself wasn't on those boats/ships during disasters (he died 30 - 40 years later in his early-80s). We went to one of the fishermen's memorial locations back in 2007 and looked over some of the names. Pretty moving seeing the names of fathers & sons who died together out on the ocean. We spread some of grandpa's ashes there, and more in the nearby sea and went as a group for fish and chips (one of his favorite meals). That was a good day. Sunny with a breeze. Spring '07. Grandpa would have been happy with the tribute. Oh yeah, did it on what would have been his 84th birthday. Mother Nature is no joke.

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
Work. Rough seas didn't stop shit. They would just secure the desks i.e. extremely limited travel outside of the ship.

I was on an amphib. We had crests and troughs high and deep enough for waves to hit above windows on the bridge. Some even hit the Signalman's Shack which was the highest deck on the island. If you zoom in on this image, the glass building to the right of the highest white dome is the Signalman's Shack.

nass5.jpg

Navy pilots land helicopters in this. I couldn't find a US one.

Spent the early 2000's pipefitting lpd's .....

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Fuck that I’d be sick as fuck . Cacs laughing like idiots I hope of capsizes with all cacs. LOL at them fat people sliding across the floor