Craig Brewer To Direct Eddie Murphy In ‘Coming 2 America’ UPDATE: Teaser Trailer (12/22)

Good idea or Bad Idea?

• It's about damn time!

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Nobody asked for this.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Who fucking cares!

Votes: 11 12.6%

• Total voters

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Don't know how recent this is.
18888607_1866026726981353_5770672261669322752_n.jpg

Man, looking back at colorism in 80s and 90s films is wild.

She was so fine to me in Coming to America. Always thought she looked better than they broad Eddie was chasing.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Yea the plot does not seem that good. And got a devil directing it. The only way I see that plot being a success is if Khalid Muhammad was still alive and he was the long lost son. Or he leaves America and goes back to Africa to find his true bride.
Making the movie at a time when South Africa is trying to get rid of their white invaders.

A devil, Jon Landis, directed this first one. The same devil who put a character in blackface in "Trading Places".

Coming to America was riddled with stereotypes, colorism, and minstrelry anyway.

Why not bring back the original director and writers?

They got sued when the movie originally came out.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A devil, Jon Landis, directed this first one. The same devil who put a character in blackface in "Trading Places".

Coming to America was riddled with stereotypes, colorism, and minstrelry anyway.

They got sued when the movie originally came out.
Guess you will not expect them to sneak in some of that knowledge. Hollywood is a step down the line in programming the mind after school and politics.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...-America-2-confirmed-release-August-2020.html

By Dailymail.com Reporter

Published: 17:17 EST, 11 February 2019 | Updated: 17:25 EST, 11 February 2019

7.4k shares

View comments

Coming To America 2 will be released in August 2020.

The hotly-anticipated sequel to 1988's Coming To America has been given an official release date of August 7, 2020, exciting Eddie Murphy fans everywhere.

Murphy has been confirmed to return to his role as Prince Akeem but it is not yet known whether the film's other stars including James Earl Jones, Shari Headley, John Amos and Arsenio Hall will return to their roles.

Craig Brewer is set to direct the sequel to the 1988 comedy, in which Eddie plays Prince Akeem, the prince of a fictional African country who travels to America to escape an arranged marriage and find a wife.

In a statement, Murphy said of Brewer's appointment: 'After many years of anticipation, I'm thrilled that Coming To America 2 is officially moving forward.

'We've assembled a great team that will be led by Craig Brewer, who just did an amazing job on Dolemite [Is My Name], and I'm looking forward to bringing all these classic and beloved characters back to the big screen.'

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...-pose-Coming-America-2s-costume-designer.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ikini-just-five-months-welcoming-son-Max.html

12021286-6900477-image-a-74_1554754825119.jpg

12021280-6900477-image-a-75_1554754828682.jpg

12021284-6900477-image-a-76_1554754833586.jpg

12022206-6900477-James_Earl_Jones_played_Akeem_s_father_who_was_the_king_of_his_c-a-102_1554755950724.jpg

+10

12022188-6900477-Here_is_Jones_seen_in_2015_He_is_most_famous_for_voicing_Darth_V-m-101_1554755941178.jpg

+10

Big daddy: James Earl Jones played Akeem's father, who was the king of his country. On the right he is Jones seen in 2015. He is most famous for voicing Darth Vader in Star Wars

12022194-6900477-John_Amos_played_Akeem_s_boss_who_owned_a_fast_food_restaurant_t-m-103_1554755957981.jpg

+10

12022192-6900477-Here_Amos_is_seen_in_2017_in_Santa_Monica_California-m-105_1554755971527.jpg

+10

Back: John Amos played Akeem's boss who owned a fast food restaurant that was very similar to McDonald's. Here, right, Amos is seen in 2017 in Santa Monica, California

12016122-6899941-All_fine_here_The_cuple_with_his_ex_Nicole_as_well_as_two_of_the-a-72_1554744529923.jpg

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
https://shadowandact.com/coming-to-america-2-young-lead-characters

Here's Are The Descriptions Of The Young Leads Vying To Be Zamunda's Heir In 'Coming To America 2'

More news about Coming to America 2 is coming to light. According to Observer, sources say Paramount is casting for two young leads who could be vying for the title of Zamunda's heir.

The two characters have been revealed as LaVelle and Meeka. LaVelle is described as a 30-year-old Queens hustler with a heart of gold. Raised by his mother, LaVelle wants a better life for himself, which could be right around the corner as he learns that he's the possible Zamundan heir. According to Observer, LaVelle "has the gift of gab, able to crack wise with humor, but is by no means a clown" and he "struggles with discipline, authority and self-motivation."

Meeka, on the other hand, is the 20-year-old "proud and principled daughter of Zamunda" who is "athlethic and skilled in the art of self-defense, but she is also measured in her temperament, always seeking a calm, diplomatic solution to conflict." Meeka is beautiful and and capable, but still holds anxiety over "wanting to be the son Akeem never had." Her challenge is to show her father her true self and "be brave with her heart."

The characters are providing us with a little more insight as to how the film will play out. Instead of being a pure comedy about Akeem finding out he might have an heir, it seems like it's going to be more about a test of wills between two siblings who must deal with each other and their claim to the throne. If this were a drama, it could be a great film of palace intrigue. But since it's a comedy, we're naturally expecting the humor to be as good or better than the 1988 original.

Coming to America 2 stars Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, Shari Headley and James Earl Jones. The script is by Kenya Barris and directed by Craig Brewer. Ruth E. Carter has also announced coming to the film as costume designer. The film will be in theaters Aug. 7. 2020.

wwetv100

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
https://shadowandact.com/coming-to-america-2-young-lead-characters

Here's Are The Descriptions Of The Young Leads Vying To Be Zamunda's Heir In 'Coming To America 2'

More news about Coming to America 2 is coming to light. According to Observer, sources say Paramount is casting for two young leads who could be vying for the title of Zamunda's heir.

The two characters have been revealed as LaVelle and Meeka. LaVelle is described as a 30-year-old Queens hustler with a heart of gold. Raised by his mother, LaVelle wants a better life for himself, which could be right around the corner as he learns that he's the possible Zamundan heir. According to Observer, LaVelle "has the gift of gab, able to crack wise with humor, but is by no means a clown" and he "struggles with discipline, authority and self-motivation."

Meeka, on the other hand, is the 20-year-old "proud and principled daughter of Zamunda" who is "athlethic and skilled in the art of self-defense, but she is also measured in her temperament, always seeking a calm, diplomatic solution to conflict." Meeka is beautiful and and capable, but still holds anxiety over "wanting to be the son Akeem never had." Her challenge is to show her father her true self and "be brave with her heart."

The characters are providing us with a little more insight as to how the film will play out. Instead of being a pure comedy about Akeem finding out he might have an heir, it seems like it's going to be more about a test of wills between two siblings who must deal with each other and their claim to the throne. If this were a drama, it could be a great film of palace intrigue. But since it's a comedy, we're naturally expecting the humor to be as good or better than the 1988 original.

Coming to America 2 stars Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, Shari Headley and James Earl Jones. The script is by Kenya Barris and directed by Craig Brewer. Ruth E. Carter has also announced coming to the film as costume designer. The film will be in theaters Aug. 7. 2020.

This sounds more promising.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Arsenio Hall Officially Set To Reprise Role In ‘Coming To America 2’
July 19, 2019 2:26pm
Facebook
  • Email
arsenio-hall-coming-to-america.jpg

Shutterstock
While it has been speculated for months, Deadline can confirm that Arsenio Hall has officially closed his deal to reprise his role as Semmi, the best friend and trusted aide to Eddie Murphy’s Prince Akeem, in Paramount’s Coming To America 2, which Craig Brewer is directing based on a screenplay from Black-ish creator Kenya Barris.

Murphy will return as the pampered prince of Zamunda, who, in the 1988 original, became bored of potential marriage partners in a kingdom and who traveled to Queens New York to go undercover and find a strong-willed woman he could respect.

In the sequel, Akeem learns about a long-lost son and must return to America to meet the unlikely heir to the throne of Zamunda.

ADVERTISING

Murphy is producing the pic with Kevin Misher, while Barris will serve as executive producers. A theatrical release is planned for December 2020.

Hall, who hosted The Arsenio Hall Show from 1989 to 1994 and again from 2013 – 2014, is repped by ICM

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Coming to America sequel director thinks 'America needs Akeem and Semmi right now'

By Derek Lawrence
August 08, 2019 at 12:42 PM EDT
FBTwitter

Coming 2 America
12/18/20
TYPE
  • Movie
GENRE
More than 32 years after Coming to America was released, we’re set to get the long-awaited sequel — and director Craig Brewer says it couldn’t come at a better time for the country.

After teaming with Eddie Murphy on the upcoming Dolemite Is My Name, which will premiere at the upcoming Toronto International Film Festival, Brewer is reuniting with the legendary comedian for Coming 2 America, which will find Akeem (Murphy) and Semmi (Arsenio Hall) returning to America when the African nation of Zamunda’s soon-to-be King Akeem learns that he has a long-lost son in Queens.

“Every day we realize the legacy that we are playing with,” Brewer tells EW. “It is both a joy and incredibly daunting. There’s this moment that I always go back to: when we were screening Dolemite Is My Name, I worked on Empire a little bit, so I had some of the writers come and take a look at the movie. They were all in the back row of the screening room, and Eddie and Arsenio walked in and sat down in the second row, just like old friends do. And I could see everybody in the back’s eyes getting big and pointing down to both of them. In that moment of seeing Eddie and Arsenio sitting next to each other as friends, but also seeing the younger generation pointing at them and smiling, I remember saying to myself, ‘Yeah, I guess we need them right now, don’t we?’ I don’t want to sound too outrageous, but I think America needs Akeem and Semmi right now. [Laughs] I hope you know that’s sincere from me, that’s how I feel. We need them.”

EVERETT COLLECTION
But, after working on Dolemite Is My Name, there was someone else who Brewer knew he needed: Wesley Snipes. The Blade star reminded the director of his comedy credentials with his turn in Dolemite, leading him to cast Snipes inComing 2 America, joining Murphy, Hall, James Earl Jones, Paul Bates, Rick Ross, Kiki Layne, and Leslie Jones. For Brewer, matching Murphy and Snipes became “a dream come true.”

“If you would have told me 10 years ago that Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes is comedy gold together, I wouldn’t have believed you,” Brewer admitted to EW. “But, now seeing them share a frame together, I can’t unsee it, I can’t unfeel it. It’s amazing, it’s electric, and it’s something I’ve always wanted but just didn’t know it [laughs].”

Coming 2 America opens in theaters on Dec. 18, 2020

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Wesley Snipes, Leslie Jones, more cast in Coming to Americasequel, James Earl Jones returning

By Tyler Aquilina
August 07, 2019 at 02:35 PM EDT
FBTwitter

Loaded: 0%

YOU MIGHT LIKE
AMERICAN CRIME STORY TACKLING CLINTON-LEWINSKY SCANDAL NEXT
Coming 2 America
12/18/20
TYPE
  • Movie
GENRE
A whole heap of actors are coming to Coming to America. The sequel to the 1988 comedy — known as Coming 2 America, naturally — has added Wesley Snipes, Leslie Jones, Kiki Layne (If Beale Street Could Talk), and rapper Rick Ross to the cast. Additionally, original cast members James Earl Jones and Paul Bates are returning, joining Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall, who will reprise their (primary) roles from the original film.

Snipes will play a new character named General Izzi, who rules a neighboring country to Zamunda, homeland of Murphy’s Prince Akeem. Layne will play Akeem’s daughter, and Leslie Jones’ role is being kept under wraps. James Earl Jones, of course, will reprise his role as Akeem’s father, King Jaffe Joffer, with Bates as royal servant Oha.

Ross’ role in the film is also unclear, but the rapper revealed in a recent radio interview with Nick Cannon that scenes were being shot at his Atlanta estate.

The beloved original film follows Akeem as he travels from his African kingdom to Queens, New York, hoping to find himself a queen there. In the sequel, Akeem is about to become king when he discovers he has a long-lost son in Queens. Honoring his father’s dying wish to groom this son as the crowned prince, Akeem sets off to find him.

The sequel will reunite the trio of Murphy, Snipes, and director Craig Brewer, who worked together on the upcoming biopic Dolemite Is My Name, which tells the tale of provocative stand-up comedian Rudy Ray Moore.

Coming 2 America, produced by black-ish creator Kenya Barris alongside Murphy and Kevin Misher, is set to hit theaters Dec. 18, 2020.