Colorado store forced to close after owner's Nike-Colin Kaepernick protest backfires (BooFuckingHoo)

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Colo. sporting goods store that spurned Nike wear after Colin Kaepernick ad campaign goes out of business

By THERESA BRAINE
| NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
FEB 14, 2019 | 12:20 AM

ny-1550116839-dh4spkmh84-snap-image

Nike logo (Getty Images)

Prime Time Sports, the Colorado Springs store that stopped selling Nike wear in protest at the brand’s support of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, is going out of business.

“PRIME TIME SPORTS is closing. All merchandise 40% OFF,” owner Stephen Martin announced on Facebook on Monday. “Thank You for 21 mostly good years. For everybody that has offered help and support through the ‘Honor The Flag’ memorial wall and NIKE boycott, now is your time to help me liquidate.”

The store has stood steadfastly in opposition to pro athletes who went down on one knee rather than stand during the national anthem at games. In 2016, Prime Time had canceled an autograph-signing session with former Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall after he “took a knee,” as the gesture became known, reported KKTV.

Kaepernick famously took a knee also in 2016 in protest of police brutality against African-Americans after widely circulated videos of innocent people being killed by overzealous cops. He was booed in San Diego for doing so, the Los Angeles Times reported at the time.

The gesture ignited vociferous debate nationwide over respect for the flag among those who opposed the protest action. For those who understood that Kaepernick had kneeled to protest police violence rather than disrespect the flag, the ad campaign and endorsement deal launched by Nike last fall featuring the 49ers quarterback and other black athletes came as a welcome validation.

Not so for Martin, who sold off his Nike products at a steep discount and boycotted the brand, as KKTV reported.

The Nike boycott’s effect on his business was just one of several reasons Martin shut down after 21 years, he told KKTV. In addition to fallout from the Nike move, he cited a growth in online shopping that ate into his sales, and increasing rent, according to KRDO. But the Nike decision was definitely a factor, he said.

"Being a sports store and not having Nike jerseys is kind of like being a milk store without milk or a gas station without gas,” he told KKTV. “They have a virtual monopoly on jerseys. There is no other option. We had a really good Christmas season … but it’s caught up to me.”
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...vaAJhXhKpt1dHhYMwsJRuWM-rph4YAyJgGZ59QOUG9TH8

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Mfkr still tried to shine up that shit sandwich he was serving....

"at least I didn't give in to big NIKE, and big dollars, I didn't give in. I did it my way. I don't like losing a business over it, but I'd rather be able to live with myself."

What the fuck is he talking about? How delusional is he.... "Big Nike.... I did it my way" you're not Frank Sinatra and this is not some noble cause, its really quite stupid

To him, giving any and every company that supports anything they see as a slight to white supremacy the middle finger is a noble cause. Nike didn't feel shit, like a train running over a squirrel. But to him and people like him he died a hero's death.:smh:

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lmao!!!!!! Who goes to a sporting good store anyway??? Unless you got kids in sports or need a tent, there is NO reason to head in there unless you are a cac looking for summer clothes.
:lol:

bdquest9

To teach the truth to the young black youth
BGOL Investor
“ 'As much as I hate to admit this, perhaps there are more Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick supporters out there than I realized,' said Martin."

"Kaepernick supporters"? How about people who actually understand the First Amendment? Or supporters of human rights in general? This idiot will never understand it's not all about supporting the public figures, it's about understanding the reason for the protest.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ing-out-business-after-its-nike-colin-n971531

Colorado sports store going out of business after its Nike, Colin Kaepernick boycott
"Being a sports store and not having Nike jerseys is kind of like being a gas station without gas," owner Stephen Martin said.
180910-nike-colin-kaepernick-modells-se-204p_e4945cb9ce8e0c020bdd6d80e65639ac.fit-760w.jpg

A Nike ad featuring Colin Kaepernick is on display on top of a Modell's store in New York on Sept. 8, 2018.Angela Weiss / AFP - Getty Images file

Feb. 14, 2019, 12:13 PM EST
By David K. Li

A Colorado sports apparel store is closing after its owner's decision to boycott Nike gear as a protest against the brand's embrace of Colin Kaepernick proved to be a financial death blow.

Stephen Martin, owner of Prime Time Sports in Colorado Springs, took all Nike goods off his shelves this past fall after the global brand launched a marketing campaign with the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback — "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything."

Martin admitted that taking the products off the shelves hurt his business.

"Being a sports store and not having Nike jerseys is kind of like being a gas station without gas. They have a virtual monopoly on jerseys," he told NBC News on Thursday.

Martin decided Sunday that his business couldn't go on and started marking down goods 40 percent off. He estimated that it'll take four weeks to liquidate all his inventory.

View image on Twitter

“For 21 years, this was my baby. I built this from a kiosk. Now, I feel like I'm leaving under a cloud of darkness," he said. "But I feel good inside, that I didn't put profit over principle. That’s what makes it easier to live with."

Back in the 2016 NFL season, Kaepernick took a knee during the national anthem protesting racism against African-Americans. Other players joined Kaepernick, leading to a backlash from critics who believed they were disrespecting America.

Kaepernick opted out of his contract with the 49ers following the 2016 campaign and no team has signed him since, leading to a lawsuit against the NFL accusing its owners of collusion.

Martin, 64, said his business was already headed for the sidelines due to the internet.

"That's a big part of it," he said, referring to the Nike boycott's effect on the store closure, "but it's not all of it."

"As a brick-and-mortar, we're facing pressure from online sales."

Despite Martin's boycott of Nike apparel, Prime Time Sports showed a $13,000 spike in sales in November and December, compared to those same two months in 2017.

"That really amazed me," Martin said, "until I realized that seven of my competitors within 30 miles had closed and that was driving my sales. I was just the last one standing."

older version

A version older
Registered
What the idiot fails to realize is he was not putting a true principal first. His principal is nothing but echoing racism and demagoguery and that hurt his profits while Nike as a whole got a boost in sales because they stood behind a true principal of truth and justice which is what the Kaepernick message was all about.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
I know that store. Anyone who knows anything about Colorado Springs knows that there a lot of military and retirees there. They musta said fuck you too mf. Good for his ass