"College Grads' Outlook Grim"

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
College Grads' Outlook Grim
by Sara Murray
Monday, April 5, 2010

Students begin the search early and look to 'plan-B' as campus recruitment falls.

Despite signs of life in the job market, the outlook for newly minted college graduates remains grim and many are trying new strategies for landing positions.

Students are starting their job hunts months earlier than usual, while others are looking into short stints at positions outside their major.

Bob Tutag began beating the bushes in October, a time when most college seniors are barely back from summer vacation. But it paid off: The 21-year-old Michigan State University student in March accepted an offer at Developers Diversified Realty Corp., a commercial real-estate firm in Beachwood, Ohio. He starts in May.

Mr. Tutag knew he faced a challenge, having majored in accounting with a specialization in real estate, a sector of the economy hammered by the downturn.

Career-fair recruiting at MSU is down 25% this year. The same story is heard on college campuses from coast to coast: Companies have cut back hiring and when they do have jobs, they have plenty of experienced applicants to pick from. College graduates typically need further training and seasoning, so many employers are skipping college career fairs this year or tapping former interns if they need fresh talent.

Meantime, the job opportunities that are available aren't spread evenly—either by sector or region—and can be hard to spot. And unlike previous years, employers are making offers, and students are accepting them, early in the fall to lock in specific candidates.

Usually, graduating students have held off until the spring to accept positions.

"Some employers might be encouraged enough to begin to add some employment," said Philip Gardner, director of the Collegiate Employment Research Institute at MSU. But he said, "I'm really not anticipating a significant turnaround until this time next year."

But there are some bright spots: The unemployment rate for people ages 20 to 24 with a bachelor's degree was 7.2% in March, down from 7.6% a year earlier and below the 21.9% jobless rate for those in the same age group with high-school degrees only.

Preliminary data from a spring poll of employers by the National Association of Colleges and Employers show college-graduate hiring could rise 3% to 5% this year after falling 22% last year.

Erika Skalski, 22, another MSU student poised to graduate in May, is still searching for a job in event planning after studying hospitality, another area hit by the recession, and Spanish. She was encouraged by the interviews she has had, but so far has no offers.

"I'm actually very nervous about it," Ms. Skalski said, adding that if nothing pans out she will apply to programs that would allow her to move to Spain and teach English for a year or so.

Such plan-Bs are common this year. "We are seeing more students coming into the office talking about what we call the 'gap-year opportunities,' " said Rebecca Sparrow, director of Cornell University's career services, where recruiting is down slightly this year. She often directs them to programs such as AmeriCorps, Teach for America and similar alternatives.

At the University of Florida in Gainesville recruiting has fallen 40% to 50% from the 2007-08 school year. Education is one of the hard-hit career paths this year, said Wayne Wallace, director of the university's career-resource center.

"Several years ago the state of Florida could not find enough teachers," Mr. Wallace said, "now we have school districts that are doing massive layoffs."

Meanwhile, business and technical majors are likely to see the most demand, particularly as Wall Street resumes hiring.

A recent survey from 7city Learning, a financial-services training company, found that 76% of Wall Street firms plan to hire more recent graduates than a year ago.

Certain regions of the nation are expected to do better than others. At the University of Texas at Austin, the communications school attracted 77 employers at its spring career fair, up from 51 last year. Meanwhile, Facebook Inc., which is opening an office in Austin, has been collecting student resumes to help fill 60 jobs.The country's south central and northwest regions are expected to increase hiring more than other areas.

But with such a competitive market, the biggest worry for hiring experts is that students will give up on their job search without ever starting. In some cases that means heading straight to graduate school, an investment that is only likely to pay off if students know what they want to study and why that will better position them to land a job in the future. Graduate-school enrollment rose 6% last year and will likely continue to rise this year.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/109255/college-grads-outlook-grim?mod=career-work

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
"But there are some bright spots: The unemployment rate for people ages 20 to 24 with a bachelor's degree was 7.2% in March, down from 7.6% a year earlier and below the 21.9% jobless rate for those in the same age group with high-school degrees only."

:eek:

Now that's what's really grim... People ages 20 to 24 with only a high-school degree are unemployed at a rate of 21.9%! And then consider the quality of jobs, hours worked and leverage of the other 78.1%...

4North1Side2

Rising Star
Registered
"But there are some bright spots: The unemployment rate for people ages 20 to 24 with a bachelor's degree was 7.2% in March, down from 7.6% a year earlier and below the 21.9% jobless rate for those in the same age group with high-school degrees only."

Now that's what's really grim... People ages 20 to 24 with only a high-school degree are unemployed at a rate of 21.9%! And then consider the quality of jobs, hours worked and leverage of the other 78.1%...

Highschool dropout here doing his thing!

Punch

Rising Star
Registered
If it's such a scam, why is the unemployment rate for people with HS Diplomas nearly three times worse?

Occasionally you never get a return on an investment, some people are paying for student loans for a lifetime which by an large is racketeering and extortion to some degree (no pun intended), also perhaps
HS grads are trying 3x less to find a job.....also I shouldve attempted to get my doctorate cant make any dough without a PHd

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Here's a old throw back (post I made) that best describes what is going on right now.

Our employment system has be a very delicate ecosystem, of sorts, where the balance depended on a complex formula, that involves, people graduating from school, coming out the service, and reaching age of working, minus the people retiring, dying and quitting. Now expansion in the economy can always help out with the numbers, whenever there is a hiccup.

The job market being similar to a subway station, as soon as one train pulls off, there is another train to take its place. and even if there is a delay, the system would eventually right itself.
As long as there is the balance of a train replacing the next train, all is smooth.
Now what is going on in today's market is similar to a train crash. How ever unlike a real train wreck, the trains behind it keep coming and coming. Causing the pile up to get bigger and bigger. The government plays the role of trying to clean up the mess, but they are not able to stop the next oncoming train from smashing into the wreck.

So by us dealing with the current unemployed workers, the people who graduate will come with their numbers and crash into the current market and the next wave will do the same later on down the line.
Now one way to solve that problem would be for the economy to expand expeditiously at rates that are almost unheard of. This seems farfetched in today's climate due to the fact that the companies that are showing the most growth, are doing so by shedding their work force and becoming more stream line. So growth in the economy does not always constitute substantial growth in the job market.

The next way we can stop the unemployment pile up, is by opening markets! Ah yes the magic bullet for western capitalism has always been to open markets. The equation is easy, find a country that don't sell Burger King, force them to allow us to sell it there, and bingo, the amount of Burgers would increase substantially.

The problem is that we used that magic bullet, once too many times, and now there world has shrunk to the point where there are fewer and fewer virgin markets. Of course there is always the jack pot, in the middle east, but the Bush administration proved what the West have known for centuries, that it is nothing but fools gold.

The next option is population reduction. Now with population reduction people will be sacrificed, there by clearing out the way, lowering the number of unemployed (if they are not working) or, creating new jobs (if they are).
Like a real train pile up, the best thing to do may be to remove the train itself, and in this case, the train are the people.

Now I know people always say that war always seems to stir the economy. Well that is true, largely because war, traditionally has been like winning the economy jackpot, especially if you win.

For one, it reduces the working class population (with all the deaths) I usually spurs on innovation (gadgets that were often created to help win the war are often converted, to help with day to day living) and lastly war often open markets.
But unless the United States goes buck wild and starts doing a Hitler, and attack Europe, China or Russia, I see very little good coming out of any wars.

So there you have it, plain and simple. But before you guys go off (like yall always do) and say no this and that wont, happen, answer one simple question, how will you deal with the unemployment pile up, that is ready to hit this country? Remember you are not only dealing with the people who are currently unemployed, but the future populous who are entering the employment market.

P.S. when you are done, tell me how we are to deal with the boom generation living longer, and soon to be entering the social security system in record numbers.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Occasionally you never get a return on an investment, some people are paying for student loans for a lifetime which by an large is racketeering and extortion to some degree (no pun intended), also perhaps
HS grads are trying 3x less to find a job.....also I shouldve attempted to get my doctorate cant make any dough without a PHd
Yeah, I never did that student loan shit, the college I went to was just as good as any of my other options and more than 10x cheaper.

UniqueStyles82

Star
Registered

Our employment system has be a very delicate ecosystem, of sorts, where the balance depended on a complex formula, that involves, people graduating from school, coming out the service, and reaching age of working, minus the people retiring, dying and quitting. Now expansion in the economy can always help out with the numbers, whenever there is a hiccup.

The job market being similar to a subway station, as soon as one train pulls off, there is another train to take its place. and even if there is a delay, the system would eventually right itself.
As long as there is the balance of a train replacing the next train, all is smooth.
Now what is going on in today's market is similar to a train crash. How ever unlike a real train wreck, the trains behind it keep coming and coming. Causing the pile up to get bigger and bigger. The government plays the role of trying to clean up the mess, but they are not able to stop the next oncoming train from smashing into the wreck.

So by us dealing with the current unemployed workers, the people who graduate will come with their numbers and crash into the current market and the next wave will do the same later on down the line.
Now one way to solve that problem would be for the economy to expand expeditiously at rates that are almost unheard of. This seems farfetched in today's climate due to the fact that the companies that are showing the most growth, are doing so by shedding their work force and becoming more stream line. So growth in the economy does not always constitute substantial growth in the job market.

The next way we can stop the unemployment pile up, is by opening markets! Ah yes the magic bullet for western capitalism has always been to open markets. The equation is easy, find a country that don't sell Burger King, force them to allow us to sell it there, and bingo, the amount of Burgers would increase substantially.

The problem is that we used that magic bullet, once too many times, and now there world has shrunk to the point where there are fewer and fewer virgin markets. Of course there is always the jack pot, in the middle east, but the Bush administration proved what the West have known for centuries, that it is nothing but fools gold.

The next option is population reduction. Now with population reduction people will be sacrificed, there by clearing out the way, lowering the number of unemployed (if they are not working) or, creating new jobs (if they are).
Like a real train pile up, the best thing to do may be to remove the train itself, and in this case, the train are the people.

Now I know people always say that war always seems to stir the economy. Well that is true, largely because war, traditionally has been like winning the economy jackpot, especially if you win.

For one, it reduces the working class population (with all the deaths) I usually spurs on innovation (gadgets that were often created to help win the war are often converted, to help with day to day living) and lastly war often open markets.
But unless the United States goes buck wild and starts doing a Hitler, and attack Europe, China or Russia, I see very little good coming out of any wars.

So there you have it, plain and simple. But before you guys go off (like yall always do) and say no this and that wont, happen, answer one simple question, how will you deal with the unemployment pile up, that is ready to hit this country? Remember you are not only dealing with the people who are currently unemployed, but the future populous who are entering the employment market.

P.S. when you are done, tell me how we are to deal with the boom generation living longer, and soon to be entering the social security system in record numbers.

How do you deal with a trainwreck with oncoming trains behind it? Great question. One possible solution is to clean up the train wreck and switch tracks so the oncoming trains can veer around the wreckage (Using your analogy). While the govt is trying to stabilize the economy by having near zero interest rates and spending money like its cool, the also could start pushing the small business initiative harder to create new businesses and from there new jobs. Also as much as the US has been bickering with the Chinese about their pegging the yuan, Its time our govt looks at ways to increase exports (possibly either pegging our currency as well so it doesnt float or subsidizing the hardest hit industries so that our products/services are more attractive for purchase both domestically and internationally).

But yeah it sucks for college kids during this current time. Mofos are really going to have to think outside of the box in terms of getting employment. The biggest issue though is the baby boomers. Since alot of their retirement savings probably got wiped out, they are going to be working longer than what they wanted.

cbm_redux

Star
Registered
Simple solution for those disinclined toward grad school: A BSN or some other medical degree where a bachelor degree, or less, is good enough to enter the field. You can't outsource nurses, respiratory techs, CT techs etc... and with the baby-boom generation entering their 60s, the need for medical workers will only increase.

kdub83

Star
Registered
Simple solution for those disinclined toward grad school: A BSN or some other medical degree where a bachelor degree, or less, is good enough to enter the field. You can't outsource nurses, respiratory techs, CT techs etc... and with the baby-boom generation entering their 60s, the need for medical workers will only increase.

That's the one nice thing about my degree, I can do a lot of health related things with it although I would really like to work with athletes, I can work with almost any population, including the aging baby boomers.

Rex

Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks for posting this while I'm sitting here worried about getting a job after graduation in May.

mike123

Rising Star
Registered
I was wondering that-- those without even a HS Diploma.

most without a hs diploma dont care, certainly alot less then somebody with one
and the ones that do dont get noticed

Costanza said:
Yeah, I never did that student loan shit, the college I went to was just as good as any of my other options and more than 10x cheaper.

but then u got some people who say an think that the degree from the cheaper college dont mean shit compared to one from the more expensive school

mike123

Rising Star
Registered

Our employment system has be a very delicate ecosystem, of sorts, where the balance depended on a complex formula, that involves, people graduating from school, coming out the service, and reaching age of working, minus the people retiring, dying and quitting....

Great breakdown:yes:
I actually have a solution but it would probably cut into the pockets of to many rich people so it probably wouldnt work......

OTG08

Star
Registered
Costanza youre a fucking assclown, take your degree and shove it up your ass. Everyone has a fucking degree today. It means nothing, you can get a job with or without one. BTW have fun being a corporate tool dumb ass

SaKem

Star
Registered
Costanza youre a fucking assclown, take your degree and shove it up your ass. Everyone has a fucking degree today. It means nothing, you can get a job with or without one. BTW have fun being a corporate tool dumb ass

It's better to get one if you're trying to get a job. I'm not getting my degree to get a job, I'm getting it for image.

JD Walker

Star
Registered
Costanza, please stop posting excuses for these dumbfucks not to get an education. We are already overrun by too many "Rossinis" in the community.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Damn, so much hate... Everyone today has a degree? Everyone but you, obviously! :lol:

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

No offense to CBM, but this seems a lot closer to the "corporate tool" mentality referenced by the 8th grade dropout I responded to in my last post.

I didn't go to college simply to insure employment... And my employment history proves it, lol.

I haven't been out that long, either, though... But I think life is a lot more fulfilling if you're doing what you're passionate about as opposed to what is more secure. On the other hand, life is more fulfilling when you are secure and able to eat and pay the bills than when you don't have that security.

So it's a tradeoff and a risk involved but that was the path I went about...

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Costanza, please stop posting excuses for these dumbfucks not to get an education. We are already overrun by too many "Rossinis" in the community.

It's not my fault those who never developed reading comprehension skills may ironically perceive this thread as support for the idea that an education is unessential.

Whenever people see a headline about people with degrees struggling, they jump to that conclusion. But the fact I highlighted from the article demonstrates just how horribly wrong that conclusion is.

So how's the outlook for those dumb niggas with no degree at all? Hell like?

I was wondering that-- those without even a HS Diploma.

TIMEISMONEY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's the one nice thing about my degree, I can do a lot of health related things with it although I would really like to work with athletes, I can work with almost any population, including the aging baby boomers.

What degree do you have??

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

Damn if I know... I've seen the effects of the surplus unemployment population firsthand and what you wrote about the effect of war seems true enough... Once you start throwing in factors such as social security, I just think America is over.

Great breakdown:yes:
I actually have a solution

Let it be known, maybe others can contribute, prove it unworkable, whatever.

but it would probably cut into the pockets of to many rich people so it probably wouldnt work......

Fuck 'em.

King_of_Posts

Rising Star
Registered
Get a degree involving math, science, engineering or health/medicine and you will be good to go. Get one of those liberal arts or communications shits and prepare to sweat.

Yeah, i know some niggas are gonna run thru here trying to make the exception the rule.....but the big 4 I mentioned are extremely versatile, pay well, and are in demand.

kareem chin

Star
BGOL Investor
Even trade school (plumber, electrician, etc.) can be a good fit and can't be outsourced. Some people can't do the 4 year degree thing and not everyone was made for that. But the main point is to do something!

Devilstrider

Rising Star
OG Investor
Even trade school (plumber, electrician, etc.) can be a good fit and can't be outsourced. Some people can't do the 4 year degree thing and not everyone was made for that. But the main point is to do something!

Bingo. Can you imagine if everyone went to a four year college and got a degree? A lot of these lesser jobs would be out of business because people would not do them. Lets not say there will always be people that won't go to school ok. Lets just pretend everyone did and finished with a good degree.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
If there is a 15% unemployment rate, (nation wide) in the past, all you would need is around a 15% spike in the economy to significantly reduce those numbers. However, over the last 20 years, due to automation, out sourcing of jobs, super computers as well as other techniques used to keep overhead low in business. All of these techniques have one thing in common it usually involves job reduction.
This went virtually unnoticed for years, before the housing crash, due to the fact that this country was perceived to be economically strong and stable.
What they fail to take in to account was the disparity between economic growth and job growth. On the contrary the more these business streamlined and merged, in order to get this growth, the more jobs was lost.

Then came the Crash!​
Nobody noticed the erosion of the jobs that was going on over the last 10 years, mostly because levels was still respectable, and the unemployed usually was able to find jobs after a few months of searching. However once the crash hit, the majority of the bail out money went to the corporations not the people and instead of allowing the money to trickle down to the people, under the guise of corporate reform, these companies instead redesigned their business of operations and you guessed it, they streamline their business a.k.a. reduced jobs.
So while these companies became economically relevant once again, the unemployment number actually got worse.
Today all you hear about it cutting spending in government, but what they don't tell you is most of that spending means job reduction.
In the day of inflated budgets that are nearly impossible to balance, job reduction will only prolong the suffering, by making matters 3 times worse in the future.

So what now?​
Well there are three viable ways out of our dire situation.
1- we could hope for 10% growth in the economy (with out opening new markets I find this hard to achieve) and some how convert that growth toward job growth.
2- New technology (i.e.alternative fuel) would allow businesses to reduce their spending 15%, and have that translated to job creation.
3- A 15% wage reduction across the board, reducing the over all cost of spending, and have that transfer to job creation.
4- 10% Population reduction.
Now you will noticed that all of the solution except for the last require a commitment to job creation, by business and government, however as long as we keep stressing economic growth while promoting economic growth, the only real viable option will be down sizing the general population, or the killing off of our debt (the people.)

Wake up!​
This is not some conspiracy theory, this is some real shit that has been going down right before our eyes. We need to not let this go unnoticed by spreading the word and demand that bail out process includes viable job creation program. If not you may find yourself cashing in on the debt, the hard way.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
yep MEDS is always guaranteed. People are gonna always get sick

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Bingo. Can you imagine if everyone went to a four year college and got a degree? A lot of these lesser jobs would be out of business because people would not do them. Lets not say there will always be people that won't go to school ok. Lets just pretend everyone did and finished with a good degree.

Those jobs wouldn't go away-- a degree would just be devalued, as many argue is the case in reality.