CITY DWELLERS: COST/BENEFIT ANALYSIS OF GIVING UP YOUR CAR?

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Do the math. How much would you save annually?
Insurance
Gas
Maintenance
Taxes

Can you get to work, school, stores easily by public transportation/ride sharing?

Use Lyft/Uber for dating/Going out with the guys?

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I found myself in the habit of driving to work for no reason other than habit. I was just going to work and home throughout the week. Started taking the train through the week and only driving on weekends...a tank of gas lasted me a month.

Now I had an accident and will only buy another vehicle when I buy a house outside the city. And that will be an Electric truck.

I'm done with gas powered vehicles.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
It depends where you live at and where you work at if you live and work in downtown Atlanta then you could give up your car for the most part if you stay outside of Atlanta and work in Atlanta then depending on what county you’re in you have to get a car. Don’t forget kids play a role in this too.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
$127 for a monthly metrocard ×12 months equal $1,524 a yr

now if you compare that to couple hundred dollars a month in car insurance, gas, repairs, parking, tix and for some car notes... You literally save thousands upon thousands of dollars if you choose NYC mta over car

than you got some people that cop electric bikes for traveling which can range from like 6-1200.. Depending on lifestyle you could save even more money using this form of transportation

than you have bike riders

depending on lifestyle, borough, you can save lots of money and still get around pretty well in NYC without car... In fact there's lots of people that own vehicles that still end up doing public transportation cause they don't want to deal with traffic, parking, tix

Autobot8655

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Our household owns one vehicle. My wife uses it because she works out of the city.

I used to have a car but it died. I didnt get a replacement. I use our transit system in Toronto for work and this was just smarter anyway because parking downtown for work is ~ $10 a day....tack on gas....insurance cost..etc....then we are hemorrhaging money.

The days of the "personal vehicle" are numbered....even the car companies know this.

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
Depends on what city you live in and if that city has robust public transportation.

I lived for 5 years without a vehicle before I finally got another one. But I'm in Cook Co. just 10 miles from downtown Chicago.

So if you live and work close to the central hub in cities like NYC, Chicago, Frisco, Philly, Boston, D.C. you good:yes:. Maybe other places within the downtown hubs of ATL, Dallas, and Detroit which also has city trains is sufficient. For you people out in LA, if my job was 10 miles away I would bike it, but that is an example of a city which is the 2nd largest in population but insufficient regional rail service vs. Bay area transit which is superior.

Honestly I don't know why public transportation(central and regional trains) is not a bigger campaign and political issue.:dunno: This country needs to modernize like our tax dollars modernizes everyone else:curse:. We need politicians that are progressive like the Canadians when it comes to public infrastructure and modernization. These backward minded politicians in this country are literally making this country noncompetitive versus the rest of the so called first world countries:smh:.

THE DRIZZY

OG Investor
Not an option in South Florida

Yet it would be a godsend for that region :yes: . Trust me when more educated smarter voters move into new areas the politics will change and the local life long residents who weren't on shit will get their feelings hurt.

I think this is a case when the feds should overrule the states. If your metro area reaches 1.5 million it is time to train up. Why create traffic gridlock?

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Word. I got a used car to use on the weekends but I use the train for most travel.
Parking is a bitch and tickets are real.

now if you compare that to couple hundred dollars a month in car insurance, gas, repairs, parking, tix and for some car notes... You literally save thousands upon thousands of dollars if you choose NYC mta over car

than you got some people that cop electric bikes for traveling which can range from like 6-1200.. Depending on lifestyle you could save even more money using this form of transportation

depending on lifestyle, borough, you can save lots of money and still get around pretty well in NYC without car... In fact there's lots of people that own vehicles that still end up doing public transportation cause they don't want to deal with traffic, parking, tix

DiamondKutta

Supernova
BGOL Investor
I live in St. Louis.........Not giving up shit to risk getting robbed and/or shot. Even when I lived downtown Denver (and 5 minutes from work) before here I would never give up a vehicle. I'll use Uber or Lyft sometimes, but I feel more safe having my own transportation. Also, It's where I keep my pistol when I'm moving around the city. Lastly, I do alot of outdoor activities like fishing, camping, etc and need a SUV to haul my gear.

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My sister gave her car up. She gets a commuter stipend from her job since she works in Dupont Circle in D.C. Add to the fact we got our pop to get a senior citizen metro card helps out alot.

So if you think about the monthly car insurance rate + daily metro parking amount + monthly gas cost she is saving.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

I'm good way too many fools on public transportation...I'm liable to catch a case...traffic is terrible but nothing beats getting in your car

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

^^^^^

BOOM

THE DRIZZY

OG Investor
I live in St. Louis.........Not giving up shit to risk getting robbed and/or shot. Even when I lived downtown Denver (and 5 minutes from work) before here I would never give up a vehicle. I'll use Uber or Lyft sometimes, but I feel more safe having my own transportation. Also, It's where I keep my pistol when I'm moving around the city. Lastly, I do alot of outdoor activities like fishing, camping, etc and need a SUV to haul my gear.

Who said you have to give up your personal vehicle? Those who enjoy driving will continue to do so :yes: . Facts are that people's habits are changing and I'm noticing lots of young people don't even want to drive because they don't like the hassle of car notes, fees, and taxes with their school debt.

Look at it like this.

1) Less crazy drivers on the road.
2) Less time spent in traffic means more time for life and living. What fun is having a nice ride and you sitting in traffic?
3) People in the service industry who especially home care workers and the like can get to their jobs promptly.

It ain't about your right to drive. It is about convenience and efficiency for others. Europe and Asia is shitting all over America, they got modern freeways and high speed rail, you don't hear them talking about their trains. Without trains European and Asian cities would make LA traffic look like a 3 stoplight town.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I live less than a mile from State Farm Arena. I can take MARTA straight to a Hawks game or concert, or to the airport for a flight or to get a rental car. Got a Walmart and Kroger within a mile, and Publix is right off the Midtown Station. I should have done this years ago, would have 50k more probably.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
Man, I'm kinda in a dilemma. I want to buy a new car but it just doesn't make sense to do so. Even with having the discretionary income to do so.

Im in the DMV, walking distance to the metro station. Metro stop is right outside of my job therefore I don't drive to work. My current car is 10 years old. Low property taxes, insurance is very low since I don't commute (low gas expenditure) and no accidents. But damn, I want an update, lol.

In the end, I'll probably wait it out until manufacturers really decide to shift to electric cars OR if kids come into the equation.

My commute: $12/day on Metro roundtrip, but I telecommute 2 days a week. (261 workdays/yr - 104 telecom days - 25 days vacay)* 12 ~ $1,584/yr
No traffic: Priceless. But Red Line delays inevitable.

My Car: paid for a long time ago $0
Maintenance: Maybe $300-500/yr. or more
Property taxes: $160/yr
Insurance: $400/year
Gas: $35-40/month (1 fill up) ~ $420-480/yr .
Misc: $300/yr (inspections, washer fluid, wiper inserts,...)
$1,580 - $1,840/yr

New Car lease: $350/mo ~ 4,200/yr + $3k down
Maintenance: included
Property taxes: higher
Insurance: higher than current setup
Gas: more than current situation. Pumping premium.
Misc: ...?
First year $7,200+, afterwards $4,200+

Last edited:

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I live less than a mile from State Farm Arena. I can take MARTA straight to a Hawks game or concert, or to the airport for a flight or to get a rental car. Got a Walmart and Kroger within a mile, and Publix is right off the Midtown Station. I should have done this years ago, would have 50k more probably.
I live in the same area, north midtown. Marta if i needed, but most days i walk. Considering giving up the car but love it too much. It's a waste of thousands per year but i love driving it. Georgia has that damn vehicle tax that makes me never want to buy another car. Shit is crazy, then annual renewals.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Man, I'm kinda in a dilemma. I want to buy a new car but it just doesn't make sense to do so. Even with having the discretionary income to do so.

Im in the DMV, walking distance to the metro station. Metro stop is right outside of my job therefore I don't drive to work. My current car is 10 years old. Low property taxes, insurance is very low since I don't commute (low gas expenditure) and no accidents. But damn, I want an update, lol.

In the end, I'll probably wait it out until manufacturers really decide to shift to electric cars OR if kids come into the equation.

My commute: $12/day on Metro roundtrip, but I telecommute 2 days a week. (261 workdays/yr - 104 telecom days - 25 days vacay)* 12 ~ $1,584/yr
No traffic: Priceless. But Red Line delays inevitable.

My Car: paid for a long time ago $0
Maintenance: Maybe $300-500/yr. or more
Property taxes: $160/yr
Insurance: $400/year
Gas: $35-40/month (1 fill up) ~ $420-480/yr .
Misc: $300/yr (inspections, washer fluid, wiper inserts,...)
$1,580 - $1,840/yr

New Car lease: $350/mo ~ 4,200/yr + $3k down
Maintenance: included
Property taxes: higher
Insurance: higher than current setup
Gas: more than current situation. Pumping premium.
Misc: ...?
First year $7,200+, afterwards $4,200+

how you only paying 400 a year for insurance? WTF

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
I was paying 477 a MONTH for insurance alone.

A month?!?!? Shiiiiet!

how you only paying 400 a year for insurance? WTF

10-year old 4-dr sedan...no accidents/moving violations/tickets...I don't drive to work which is almost 25-30 miles away ( hell, I struggle putting 3k miles per yr on my car; it's a novelty at this point)... And I shopped around. GEICO was speaking the #s I wanted to hear.

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A month?!?!? Shiiiiet!

10-year old 4-dr sedan...no accidents/moving violations/tickets...I don't drive to work which is almost 25-30 miles away ( hell, I struggle putting 3k miles per yr on my car; it's a novelty at this point)... And I shopped around. GEICO was speaking the #s I wanted to hear.

You have to be in VA. Is full coverage required there?

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
A month?!?!? Shiiiiet!

None of that would matter here. State and city matters. My wife hardly drives and her car is 1200 a year.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
With 850 Credit?!?! On ONE vehicle?!?!
My guy, do you got 5 DUI's and drive a Lambo? :roflmao:

1 ticket and 1 at fault collision. Plus my garaging address is in a bad zip code, and Dodge Charger. I work in Auto Underwriting but until the ticket and claim age off my Loss History Report there's nothing I could do.

My car got totaled by another driver so not a problem anymore. Plus I have a settlement coming lol.

crazyace718

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I pay 600 a month for my car note. 370 for car insurance for me and my girl. Roughly 150 for gas. 100 for ez pass tolls. All to avoid nyc public transportation. I don't regret paying a single cent.

Last edited:

bdquest9

To teach the truth to the young black youth
BGOL Investor
My days of mass transit are over. Since the fifth grade I have been using mass transit, was even worse in high school. Even had to take the Metro North my first year of college. After that I got a Toyota Corolla my uncle in New Hampshire registered for me. After college was done with the city life, the cold, the snow, parking tickets, alternate side of the street parking, and winterizing your car. Each time we go up North we book a rental car along with the airline tickets.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Not much.

I don’t live in the city tho.

It’s actually cheaper for me to have a car. All I pay for is insurance, gas and maintenance, no car note.

Insurance: $150 with GEICO (switched from Progressive.)

Gas: $60-80 maybe less that includes back and forth to work trips to grocery stores and going out on weekends and weekdays. 100$ on real busy weeks

Maintenance: About $20-40 just for small parts or fluids because I do most of it myself, that doesn’t include tires and alignment.

So I’d put my cost at about $300 for the month.

Public transportation is actually more expensive for how I move. If you ain’t got shit else to do but go to work and back home, don’t really go out like that or visit friends and family and can get all you need from nearby market or malls that’s great and ideal. But my lifestyle doesn’t allow me to depend on public transportation. I’d actually be spending same or more. Owning a car I suppose it all depends on lifestyle and the structural convenience your city or town is built with.

I’ll be got damn if I GOTTA get back on public transportation. I’d have to start my day several hours early just to be on time, I use to do that and by the end of the day id be tired asf. Shits draining. If you can do better but choose to ride public transportation you ain’t trying hard enough cuz riding that mutha fucka will motivate you to get a damn car. lol

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
As far as saving money on gas and repairs for cars.. Looking for electric substitute I think lot of people sleep on the bolt

Way cheaper than a telsa

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not much.

I don’t live in the city tho.

It’s actually cheaper for me to have a car. All I pay for is insurance, gas and maintenance, no car note.

Insurance: $150 with GEICO (switched from Progressive.)

Gas: $60-80 maybe less that includes back and forth to work trips to grocery stores and going out on weekends and weekdays. 100$ on real busy weeks

Maintenance: About $20-40 just for small parts or fluids because I do most of it myself, that doesn’t include tires and alignment.

So I’d put my cost at about $300 for the month.

Public transportation is actually more expensive for how I move. If you ain’t got shit else to do but go to work and back home, don’t really go out like that or visit friends and family and can get all you need from nearby market or malls that’s great and ideal. But my lifestyle doesn’t allow me to depend on public transportation. I’d actually be spending same or more. Owning a car I suppose it all depends on lifestyle and the structural convenience your city or town is built with.

I’ll be got damn if I GOTTA get back on public transportation. I’d have to start my day several hours early just to be on time, I use to do that and by the end of the day id be tired asf. Shits draining. If you can do better but choose to ride public transportation you ain’t trying hard enough cuz riding that mutha fucka will motivate you to get a damn car. lol

I feel you. My unlimited MARTA (ATLANTA) card is 61.00 a month (student discount). I rented out my condos parking space since I don't have a car now so that more than covers my MARTA for a month. I went from about 700 a month to drive to zero to ride pub transpo. For me the savings outweigh the weirdos on the train.

I do wash my clothes almost every day though just from being on the train lol...no coronavirus here.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
I feel you. My unlimited MARTA (ATLANTA) card is 61.00 a month (student discount). I rented out my condos parking space since I don't have a car now so that more than covers my MARTA for a month. I went from about 700 a month to drive to zero to ride pub transpo. For me the savings outweigh the weirdos on the train.

I do wash my clothes almost every day though just from being on the train lol...no coronavirus here.

Man if you was paying that much to maintain a car I can see why it was a burden on you.

I still say you should get a car even if it’s just a lil beater about 2-3k that you could buy off and use to get around town at those impromptu moments when public transport won’t cut it.

That insurance is what fucking your life up. Who was your insurance before? If insurance is too much I’d try going with a local insurance company they tend to be much cheaper than some of the popular ones.