chitterlings (chitlins) anyone???

kesq

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I have a friend from Chicago who used to be a chef. We both love chittlins. I offered to partner up for a cook with my outdoor deep fryer (you know why) and said sure, but HE had to clean them.

That's how I know that brotha is real.

illdog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1. Can't be anywhere close to the cleaning process 2. Only expert preparation...

2698866663ffaea5450c0e52bb84509eaba78d9b.jpg

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered
I have a friend from Chicago who used to be a chef. We both love chittlins. I offered to partner up for a cook with my outdoor deep fryer (you know why) and said sure, but HE had to clean them.

That's how I know that brotha is real.

Yall deep fried the chillins?? or you just used the big ole pot to cook them??

dirkthesuave

Rising Star
Registered
:puke:

Watching folks clean and cook chittlins is a sight and smell of my childhood that will ALWAYS be with me; the split sink with one side full of that nasty ass chittlin water :puke:

They’d justify that horrificness by saying “just put an onion in the pot and boil it with the chittlins to get rid of the smell. :hmm:

That big ass red plastic tub of chittlins though; that’s a funny memory; folks in my town got em from the meat market when they still were en mass, or from Moo and Oink on Stoney Island on the south side of Chicago; an annual pilgrimage 15 miles across the state line to get chittlins. :lol:

Bruh! This ol poetic as recollection LMAO. Shit made me think of my childhood and town in Louisiana too then I saw you from the Chi my current home. Shits all the same

THE GRANDJURY

Rising Star
Registered
Hmmm... But one USED push shit through it, and is sanitized with boiling water for hours after last use... the other STILL DOES push shit through it, and potentially is only sanitized with a wet wipe after last use.. ;)
And even after boiling them for hours, you can still smell the remnants of shit.:puke::puke:

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
What's real funny is that people who eat chitlins be judging people who eat booty.
What’s funnier is people who act like they never ate chitlins or trotters growing up and are disgusted at the thought :lol:

Used to be a New Years day’s tradition along with the black eyed peas at my aunts house but haven’t touched them since she died

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
It's all about the presentation (I been watching 'Chopped' this week - excuse me :D )
I remember Ebony magazine had an issue where they got fancy and had chitlins with pasta!!

mheiu9Ia2l7mPKC_mg8qsWBGPEr3UWfn-Wcles0pK9hJEbmypNT-JoYREOc2A6wCga7ypqEp118rfSKGXqg5dg

But on the real - ever since I saw "Babe The Pig", I been feeling some kinda way...

WTF..

1. Can't be anywhere close to the cleaning process 2. Only expert preparation...

This exactly what Guy Fieri did on a episode of Diners Drive Ins and Dives when he went to this one soul food restaurant..he put like half a bottle of hot sauce on them and ate what looked like a little forkful :rolleyes::lol:

Didnt know Gordon Ramsay was a fan of them,he ate some on a old episode of his BBC Kitchen Nightmares show,and actually cleaned the plate :eek2:

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:puke:

Watching folks clean and cook chittlins is a sight and smell of my childhood that will ALWAYS be with me; the split sink with one side full of that nasty ass chittlin water :puke:

They’d justify that horrificness by saying “just put an onion in the pot and boil it with the chittlins to get rid of the smell. :hmm:

That big ass red plastic tub of chittlins though; that’s a funny memory; folks in my town got em from the meat market when they still were en mass, or from Moo and Oink on Stoney Island on the south side of Chicago; an annual pilgrimage 15 miles across the state line to get chittlins. :lol:

Yeh man, being in Indianapolis and family from the Deep South we eat them every Christmas and Thanksgiving. Now my girl(of 3 years) whose from Sac loves them and cleans them for my Dad and I. We’re both in hog heaven and get the pre cleaned joints no less than 40 lbs.

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We all know that intestines was slave food. The plantation owners ate the prime cuts of beef, pork, and goat. The slaves got what was left and made it a food choice(I would not call it a delicacy though).
Globally it’s considered a delicacy we’re not the only culture to eat them. The masters thought they were giving us shit until they found out we knew how to prepare them.

sammyjax

Grand Puba of Science
Platinum Member
Pops used to make them shits, grandma put a whole onion and a whole apple in there to cut the ass vapors. I came to my senses at a single digit age.

My Mexican homeboy tricked me into eating a chitlin taco last year, I damn near slung that muhfucka in his face when that taste hit me.

Maaaan fuck some chitlins.

sinsay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wife and her side of the fam and my parents and fam all love 'em.

I can't fucking stand them and neither can my kids. When my wife/mom/nana, start prepping and cooking I gotta roll outta the house cause I will never be able to get over the smell.

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I had them once probably 20 years ago. They weren't memorable as far as taste so wasn't sure why people like them so much. Never had them again.

To those that eat or have eaten them, are they good and what do they taste like? I just remember eating them and they didn't taste like much.:dunno:

The flavor is somewhere between the sweetness of bacon and honey-glazed ham, but with a different texture, then you have the spiciness of the hot sauce adding to the flavor profile. It’s actually a pretty sophisticated dish when I think about it.

Crystals, my bro. Gotta go with Crystals.

Never ate em before..are they chewy?

Nope they damn-near melt in your mouth.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The flavor is somewhere between the sweetness of bacon and honey-glazed ham, but with a different texture, then you have the spiciness of the hot sauce adding to the flavor profile. It’s actually a pretty sophisticated dish when I think about it.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I had them over 20 years ago with hot sauce and rice and they weren’t memorable to me. I don’t remember them tasting like anything. Maybe it was just me.

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
We only fuck with hand clean Chittlins now. $25 or 5 lbs. Brothers eating Shrimp ass and shit passes through those too. Some of those shrimp ain't even cleaned. Cooked with the shit still in them.