Chicago Bear Legend Gale Sayers Passes Away at 77

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
RIP

Great player and Bears legend. I have a signed autograph from him I got when I was a shorty. I was too young at the time to know his greatness but my folks took me to where he was doing an autograph signing out in the western burbs(Chi) doing a store opening.

Before my late JSU alumni the great Walter Payton dazzled the Soldier Field fans there was the great Gayle Sayers as the Monsters on the Midway. Sayer's highlights was amazing and ahead of his time. Condolences to his family, friends, and Bear fans.

DiamondKutta

Supernova
BGOL Investor
My older brother and I have different fathers. His grandmother on his father's side was married to Gale Sayers. When we were kids he would visit them in Illinois every year. My brother would always bring back bags of NFL swag after his visits. It's amazing what Gale was able to do in his lifetime as someone who couldn't even read into his early adulthood. His superior athleticism was so overwhelming that he was able to make it to a D-1 University while being illiterate. He became a beloved icon in not only in the NFL, but also Chicago, Kansas, Nebraska, and Illinois. R.I.P.

Last edited:

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man, WTF...?!?!?!

How did I go an entire 24 hours+ missing THIS?

Ain’t SH!T come across my social media about this heartbreaking news right here.

Man, I am a running back full and highlight aficionado, especially during the black & white era of television.

For years YouTube had limited quality highlights of Gale Sayers. I was looking for him because of how my Dad used to talk about him “hitting the hole” when I was a kid. “18 inches of daylight” is what he said Gayle called it. My Dad said the only two people you could never put a real gauge on the speed they had from the handoff, to the hole, to the secondary was Gale Sayers and O.J. Simpson. Said he never seen nothing like it before and nothing like it since. Effortless. Graceful.

In 2019 I finally came across quality footage, Man, the truth was greater than the legend. He ran like he had the Sega doc from the video game under his feet...like they ain’t touch the ground!

I thought about Sayers a lot because he was mentioned in a lot of sports circles I was in with older men about what could have been if he came along during this sports science era. Him and Jesse Owens were often discussed in tandem on what the record books would like in the this era.

My youngest loves film. I have been showing him a new running backfrom yesterday’s era for a few years now. I haven’t shown him Gale Sayers yet.

Today is that day.

Rest in Power Mister Gale Sayers. I get emotional every time I watch your highlights for I heard you were an even greater human being. Now that’s great.

My older brother and I have different fathers. His grandmother on his father's side was married to Gale Sayers. When we were kids he would visit them in Illinois every year. My brother would always bring back bags of NFL swag after his visits. It amazing what Gale was able to do in his lifetime as someone who couldn't even read into his early adulthood. His superior athleticism was so overwhelming that he was able to make it to a D-1 University while being illiterate. He became a beloved icon in not only in the NFL, but also Chicago, Kansas, Nebraska, and Illinois. R.I.P.
Bruh, now that’s a childhood story for that ass and THAT’s Black history.

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Growing up in the Chicago area, I always heard stories from my uncles who lived on the South side of the city about regularly seeing Black Chicago athletes from the 60s like Gale, Ernie Banks, and Billy Williams playing ball and hanging out at the South Side YMCA on 63rd and Stony Island. They would often do this on their own time during the height of their careers, which is something that would never, ever happen now. Gale was always known as one of the coolest, most down-to-earth guys you'd ever want to meet. Years later as an adult, I had a chance to meet him at a minority business conference when he was representing his computer company. He was the nicest, most unpretentious person you could ever meet, and as a life-long Bears fan, it was cool to have a hero live up to expectations. Rest in peace # 40. I will always honor your memory!!