Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios Acquires The Weather Channel TV Network For $300 Million

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios Acquires The Weather Channel TV Network For $300 Million
http://deadline.com/2018/03/byron-a...on-the-weather-channel-tv-network-1202351426/
http://www.es.tv/

byron-allen-weather-channel.jpg

Byron Allen continues to expand his Entertainment Studios media holdings with the purchase of The Weather Channel basic cable TV network. Through his company Allen Media, Allen has acquired the Weather Group, parent company of The Weather Channel TV network and Local Now streaming service, from The Blackstone Group, Bain Capital and Blackstone Group and Comcast/NBCUniversal.

“The Weather Channel is one of the most trusted and extremely important cable networks, with information vitally important to the safety and protection of our lives,” said Byron Allen, Founder, Chairman, & CEO of Entertainment Studios. “We welcome The Weather Channel, which has been seen in American households for nearly four decades, to our cable television networks division. The acquisition of The Weather Channel is strategic, as we begin our process of investing billions of dollars over the next five years to acquire some of the best media assets around the world.”

Allen, a comedian-turned-entrepreneur, has been growing his Entertainment Studios, which became the largest independent producer of first-run syndicated programming. In 2009, Allen launched six 24-hour HD television networks: Pets.TV, Comedy.TV, Recipe.TV, Cars.TV, ES.TV, and MyDestination.TV.

In the past few years he has also emerged as an indie film producer and distributor acquiring Freestyle Releasing in 2015. His recently movie successes include 47 Meters Down and Scott Cooper’s Hostiles, and his 2018 pics via Entertainment Studios Motion Pictures include Toronto Film Festival buys Chappaquiddick and Replicas.

With the acquisition of The Weather Channel and Local Now, Allen now expands into live and local cable news. The Entertainment Studios divisions now include broadcast television syndication, production, and distribution of more than 41 programs; eight 24/7 cable television networks; theatrical motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; digital movie acquisition and distribution; and global news publishing – making Entertainment Studios one of the largest privately held media companies in the world.

Entertainment Studios is 100% owned by Allen, who started the company from his dining room table 25 years ago.

Bain Capital and NBCU bought The Weather Company from Landmark Communications in 2008 for around $3.5 billion before selling off the company’s digital assets for more than $2 billion to IBM in 2015, including the popular Weather.com wesitbe, which carries the Weather Channel name.

The Weather Channel is widely distributed, available in roughly 88 million U.S. homes. Like most basic cable channels, it has struggled with ratings declines due to cord-cutting. Despite partial NBCU ownership, Weather Channel has faced challenges as a stand-alone network with limited leverage in carriage negotiations with distributors, and has faced competition from upstart rival AccuWeather. The Weather Channel also has been affected by people’s growing reliance on the Internet and mobile devices for weather updates.

The Weather Channel had been for sale before. In 2016, Sinclair Broadcast Group reportedly was in talks with its owners, offering to acquire the channel for $100 million.

Following the acquisition by NBCU and Bain Capital, The Weather Channel experimented with longer-form programming and big-name talent, like Today’s Al Roker and Good Morning America‘s Sam Champion, before recently refocusing on its bread-and-butter forecast-based lineup.

“We are excited to join Entertainment Studios, and we are especially proud to be part of one of the largest emerging global media companies,” said Dave Shull, CEO of The Weather Channel. “Byron Allen’s purchase of our innovative and forward-thinking organization will increase the value we bring to our viewers, distributors, and advertisers.”

Allen’s acquisition of The Weather Channel through his wholly-owned Allen Media LLC was represented by the law firms Sklar Kirsh, Nelson Mullins, and Loeb & Loeb. The Weather Channel was represented in the transaction by the law firms Ropes & Gray and Jones Day, and its financial advisors included Morgan Stanley, Allen & Company, and PJT Partners.

KRAYZIE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Who would of known Byron Allen would of became this guy. I remember back in the day when he had that celebrity interview show, I though he was a corny Uncle Tom. Boy was I wrong.
This is what I've been saying in the other thread. Black people keep calling Byron and Armstrong Williams coons, and not understanding that the community needs those guys. Their business know how is needed. We have to stop po using these people away. Byron and Armstrong are controling more media delivery systems than any other black people in America, including Oprah Winfrey and Jay-Z.

mozartte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Props. ****Inserts Rodney King voice*** You teaching any classes on how to build this type empire Byron?

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Seems kinda pricey for whats a dying platform (cable TV network). I assume he gets rights to all licensing rights and forms of media/apps associated with the brand as well.
That's what I was wondering. I see that logo on a lot of weather apps so maybe that's part of the purchase as well. But yeah the world is moving too fast to think TWC is going up from here. It's dying out.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is what I've been saying in the other thread. Black people keep calling Byron and Armstrong Williams coons, and not understanding that the community needs those guys. Their business know how is needed. We have to stop po using these people away. Byron and Armstrong are controling more media delivery systems than any other black people in America, including Oprah Winfrey and Jay-Z.
I am more familiar with Allen's media empire than Williams. With that being said, how does Armstrong compare to Allen and Winfrey?

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor
This is what I've been saying in the other thread. Black peoshit back in the dayple keep calling Byron and Armstrong Williams coons, and not understanding that the community needs those guys. Their business know how is needed. We have to stop po using these people away. Byron and Armstrong are controling more media delivery systems than any other black people in America, including Oprah Winfrey and Jay-Z.
Armstrong said some crazy shit back in the day but I didn't know he was caking like that.

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Seems kinda pricey for whats a dying platform (cable TV network). I assume he gets rights to all licensing rights and forms of media/apps associated with the brand as well.
:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Ya'll brainiacs are puro comedy....

Check the list below...I think he knows what the fuck he is doing...

Programs[edit]
Court shows[edit]
Sitcoms[edit]
Game shows[edit]
Syndicated specials[edit]
  • Comedy Jam
  • Feel the Beat
  • Happy Holidays America
  • We Have a Dream
Talk and magazine series[edit]
Other shows[edit]
Entertainment Studios Networks[edit]
  • Automotive.TV
  • Cars.TV
  • Comedy.TV
  • ES.TV[11]
  • Justice Central, launched December 10, 2012 on AT&T U-Verse’s family tier which is also its first advertising support only channel.[8]
  • MyDestination.TV
  • Pets.TV
  • Recipe.TV[11]
  • The Weather Channel

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

It doesn't say it in this article but he does not get those things they're owned by another group
"The deal includes the famous cable TV network, but not online assets such as the website Weather.com and related mobile apps, which were acquired by International Business Machines Corp. in January 2016."

But also $300m is a fraction of what it sold for. Comcast and them paid $3.5billion for it 10 years ago so they're eating a huge loss. He's seeing it as a reclamation project I guess a fixer-upper of sorts.

http://fortune.com/2018/03/22/byron...utm_medium=social&xid=time_socialflow_twitter

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Ya'll brainiacs are puro comedy....

Check the list below...I think he knows what the fuck he is doing...

Programs[edit]
Court shows[edit]
Sitcoms[edit]
Game shows[edit]
Syndicated specials[edit]
  • Comedy Jam
  • Feel the Beat
  • Happy Holidays America
  • We Have a Dream
Talk and magazine series[edit]
Other shows[edit]
Entertainment Studios Networks[edit]
  • Automotive.TV
  • Cars.TV
  • Comedy.TV
  • ES.TV[11]
  • Justice Central, launched December 10, 2012 on AT&T U-Verse’s family tier which is also its first advertising support only channel.[8]
  • MyDestination.TV
  • Pets.TV
  • Recipe.TV[11]
  • The Weather Channel

I'm on the fence with Allen
I guess he stays true to his niche which isn't necessarily quality programming, it's just content itself and it works for him. He fills these spaces with shows but he takes all of the "Art' out of things like sitcoms and such. the goal isn't to make good things, just make things that can get syndicated quickly because they shoot a vast majority of it at one time and he's able to cut down production costs and things of that nature doing it all in 1 shot

it's a sustainable business model which has been extremely lucrative for him

So I'll say he knows how to "Get money"
not actually make anything worth really watching which is clearly not what he's in the business to do. That's OK.

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
This is just for the broadcast rights and not for any digital assets like the website or any info that is streamed from the website.

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Kneegrows are a trip. Every other post is talking about he got ducks. She’ll he didn’t get this. Well he didn’t get that. Ain’t that a bitch.

ganjababy

Rising Star
Platinum Member
1400x-1.jpg

Byron Allen Photographer: Tiffany Rose/Getty Images

Comedian and producer Byron Allen acquired the Weather Channel TV network as he looks to expand his film and TV production company into a major media business.

Allen’s Entertainment Studios Inc. bought the network from Blackstone Group, Bain Capital and Comcast Corp., according to a statement Thursday. The price was approximately $300 million, according to a person familiar with the terms who wasn’t authorized to speak publicly and asked not to be identified. That’s a fraction of what the larger company sold for a decade ago.

The deal includes the famous cable TV network, but not online assets such as the website Weather.com and related mobile apps, which were acquired by International Business Machines Corp. in January 2016. In an interview on a day in which rain and snow blanketed much of the U.S., Allen said he was attracted to the reach and familiarity of the brand.

“Snowstorms, rain, mudslides, our lives and our families’ safety depend on this info,” Allen said. “When a big storm happens, it’s the Super Bowl of weather. As many as 30 million people watch.”

Allen’s company produces and syndicates TV shows and has released films, such as last year’s thriller “47 Meters Down.” It also owns Comedy.tv and Cars.tv, which are distributed online and through pay-TV providers.

Allen said he want to invest more in the Weather Channel, expanding both its international and local distribution. It’s part of a broader strategy to invest what he said would be billions of dollars in the media and entertainment industry.

The Comcast-Blackstone-Bain-led group had purchased the Weather Channel in 2008 for about $3.5 billion. A spokesman for Blackstone declined to comment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...llen-buys-the-weather-channel-for-300-million