Black Woman Get $100,000 Difference On Her Home Appraisal Due To Racism....

Simply_Black

International
International Member

Abena Horton and her husband, Alex Horton, recently did what many homeowners do every day: They requested an appraisal to refinance their Jacksonville, Florida, home.

On the day of the appointment, Abena Horton was there to greet the appraiser who would go over their family’s four-bedroom, four-bathroom ranch style home.

But when the Hortons got the appraisal back, they thought the price was shockingly low.

“It clicked in my mind almost immediately that I understand what the issue was here,” Abena Horton said.

Abena Horton, an attorney, is Black. Her husband, an artist, is white. Like most married couples, their home is filled with photos of them together, their 6-year-old son and family members from both sides. Their bookshelves include books by Black authors and African American anthologies.

She said her first reaction to the appraisal was “a big eye roll.”

“This person is being so petty and hateful, and he's wasting my time,” she said. “Why did I let myself forget that I live in America as a Black person and that I need to take some extra steps to get a fair result.”

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Abena Horton, an attorney, is Black. Her husband, an artist, is white.

Horton on the situation:
This person is being so petty and hateful, and he's wasting my time,” she said. “Why did I let myself forget that I live in America as a Black person and that I need to take some extra steps to get a fair result.

I see why the pro-white sista is upset. She needs that $100k to carry the family financially while that Neanderthal she married can sit back and draw with crayons all day.

:smh:

but you got the modern day mammy like Brittney Cooper aka @ProfessorCrunk on twitter supporting this type of chicanery. :lol:

vertigo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This bitch is full of shit. Don't ask me how I know. Swirl Tears.

Bro, I need to know how you know- because I heard this shit on the radio a month ago and been :angry: ever since. Swirl aside,

after that first appraisal, where she was present, she took out all the things in her house that would indicate a black person lived there.

Photos, books, art- all that- ANYTHING that someone might take as black. Then she left the crib and her husband (white dude) met the second appraiser.

the difference between the two appraisals was like 135k or something. If you know something, you gotta spill it.

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Bro, I need to know how you know- because I heard this shit on the radio a month ago and been :angry: ever since. Swirl aside,

after that first appraisal, where she was present, she took out all the things in her house that would indicate a black person lived there.

Photos, books, art- all that- ANYTHING that someone might take as black. Then she left the crib and her husband (white dude) met the second appraiser.

the difference between the two appraisals was like 135k or something. If you know something, you gotta spill it.
Swirl Tears. She thought marrying low level white man would bring benefits. No.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
This is an unfortunate reality. We just sold our house and are waiting for the buyer to do the appraisal. We took down all family photos and all of the afro-centric art because we know the reality of this game. I am not saying it is right, but I am saying, you have to be cognizant of CACs rules and methods and adjust your strategy accordingly.

vertigo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This is an unfortunate reality. We just sold our house and are waiting for the buyer to do the appraisal. We took down all family photos and all of the afro-centric art because we know the reality of this game. I am not saying it is right, but I am saying, you have to be cognizant of CACs rules and methods and adjust your strategy accordingly.

That's fucked up, and it's a fucked up practice. I'm sorry you had to go to this length, but glad you were up on game. Folx in this thread seem more concerned about old girl and her white husband than they are about this fucked up practice. I didn't read it as a "bedwench" story, or something that just happened to HER, I saw it as something that they do to US. If it took "swirl tears" to expose this shit, I'm glad it happened
According the the radio story, the same shit happened to D.L Hughley.
link to story about D.L Hughley's experience

I understand that this chick thought shit was all good, that the "black" rules didn't apply to her. if you listen to the radio story that part REALLY stands out because she says she was formerly in the industry and had heard or knew of this practice of "whitening" your house when selling-

so I get all that- but the thought that I could have my home under appraised buy 130k, then some cracka can swoop in and buy it and INSTANTLY "create" (for lack of a better word) 130k in equity (that won't ever exist if I sell to a black family) that shit makes my blood boil. It makes it so much harder for us/easier for them to generate generational wealth. then they sit around and say how equal things are and try to blame financial disparities soley on our irresponsibilities and shit like that. :angry:

link to WBUR story with player button to listen

the npr article where I found out about this shit said:
According to a study by the Brookings Institute and Gallup, homes owned by Black Americans are historically under-appraised.

Discrimination based on race in home appraisals was made illegal by the Fair Housing Act of 1968. But not much has changed, says Andre Perry, author of “Know Your Price: Valuing Black Lives and Property in America’s Black Cities.” He spoke about the issue at the Financial Services Subcommittee hearings on Capitol Hill in 2019.

“Laws changed, but practices stayed the same,” he says.

Segregation and discrimination against Black people is deeply rooted in the country’s history, he says. Many of the appraisal practices still used today were developed during segregation and remain a part of the culture, he says.

After controlling for housing metrics such as education, crime and walkability, the study found “homes in Black neighborhoods where the share of the Black population is greater than 50% are undervalued by 23% — about $48,000 per home,” he says. “That equates to about $156 billion in lost equity.”

The problem doesn’t lie only within appraisers, he says, but rather every aspect of the housing industry — real estate agents and lenders included.

“When we look at Black assets, we judge them like we judge Black people,” he says. “And so we reduce the value.”

Regulating the way appraisers create comparable homes is one part of the solution, he says.

While appraisers can easily see comps in all white suburbs where homes all look alike, they can't see comps in more diverse urban neighborhoods because of racism, he says.

“Bias creeps in — 93% of the appraisal industry is white,” he says. “And so another part of the solution is diversifying the field. We have got to address the bias that's robbing wealth, extracting wealth from Black families and Black communities.”

Appraisers responded to this notion during the Financial Services Subcommittee Hearings Perry was involved in. An appraiser from Chicago, Maureen Sweeney, wrote a letter to the House subcommittee acknowledging there is a problem with poor and underserved communities in the U.S. — but that it’s not the appraisal professional’s fault. Perry says that sentiment is a “white myth that the conditions of Black neighborhoods are a direct result of the people in them.”

Inner cities are often neglected by landlords or city services, he points out. But as a result of “generations-long bias,” appraisers also lowball prices in wealthy, Black neighborhoods as well, he says.

For white people thinking that this isn’t their problem — think again, Perry says. If a Black or mixed family down the street gets under-appraised, the value in the neighborhood also goes down.

Last edited:

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
Although it's unfortunate that we have to go thru the whole process of essentially removing our existence from a home we're trying to sell, but I've talked to and know plenty of realtors and they all stress the importance of staging a home for showing and having it looking as move in ready as possible... you want them to picture their family their in those pictures on the wall, on the nightstand, etc...

The ones I know have told their clients, black or white, take down as many personal affects as possible before they show the house

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
her husband looks like the descendant of encino man.. like he just thawed Out from being frozen due to the ice age and just put on modern clothes
:roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: Dat crakkka can't help her!!

IQnNA8.jpg

g0nbad real bad

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When we refinanced my moms house a few years ago, we had to do 3 appraisals. The first dude never even came out to the house and sent back 25% of the value of the house 25% ! . The 2nd dude was about 75% finally the 3rd white lady asked me how much was I thinking and that's what she went with. The first dude needed his ass beat.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
just what i was going to say. this shit a surprise? america is racist. what bubble she was in? take everything down and let your realtor sell. after bought, wait 30 days and invite seller to cookout.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
just what i was going to say. this shit a surprise? america is racist. what bubble she was in? take everything down and let your realtor sell. after bought, wait 30 days and invite seller to cookout.
Heard of this. Usually they just put a picture of a white family around the house.
We didn't go that far. BUUUUUUUT, what we did do was put pumpkins and hay bales on the porch. I bought some mums and put those on the front and back porch as well as the up stairs deck. On the upstairs deck table, I staged it with a laptop, a steven king book, and a coffee mug. We always have fresh fruits and veggies in the dining room and on the kitchen counter. Again, this was all in addition to our regular furniture, etc. that is in the house from currently living there.

We received multiple above asking price offers on the first day. We settle for 11.2% over asking. Now the problem is the appraisal. However, the buyer is willing to pay 10K in the event the appraisal comes in lower than the purchase price.

I am spending all week doing the rest of the touch-up paint and other small projects I put off. I have a list of all upgrades to present to the appraiser.

My point? You have to be knowledgeable about the industry. You have to be mindful of your consumer. Lastly, a black millionaire businessman friend of mine once told me, "Black folks will go to where white folks are, but rarely will white folks go to where black folks are."

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We didn't go that far. BUUUUUUUT, what we did do was put pumpkins and hay bales on the porch. I bought some mums and put those on the front and back porch as well as the up stairs deck. On the upstairs deck table, I staged it with a laptop, a steven king book, and a coffee mug. We always have fresh fruits and veggies in the dining room and on the kitchen counter. Again, this was all in addition to our regular furniture, etc. that is in the house from currently living there.

We received multiple above asking price offers on the first day. We settle for 11.2% over asking. Now the problem is the appraisal. However, the buyer is willing to pay 10K in the event the appraisal comes in lower than the purchase price.

I am spending all week doing the rest of the touch-up paint and other small projects I put off. I have a list of all upgrades to present to the appraiser.

My point? You have to be knowledgeable about the industry. You have to be mindful of your consumer. Lastly, a black millionaire businessman friend of mine once told me, "Black folks will go to where white folks are, but rarely will white folks go to where black folks are."
At the last part. True. At least until they devalue the shit out of the neighborhood and swoop in and buy for rock bottom prices.

Sango

Rising Star
Platinum Member
135k difference in appraisals...is there some sort of organization that appraisers belong where some action can be taken?...at the very least, blast the appraiser's face all over the media....turn on the light on these roaches
I think each state has their separate regulatory agency for appraisers that you can contact or submit a complaint against.

Also through the use of a federal Gov't racist rating system based on race, the Federal Housing Administration, in their underwriting manual gave racist guidance to devalue our properties (homes) and much more. The manual was based on racism - segregation by race to maintain or safeguard property values in white neighborhoods. The manual says "If a neighborhood is to retain stability it is necessary that properties shall continue to be occupied by the same social and racial classes."

Matter of fact, there's a book that's considered an appraising bible of sorts that included a rank order of ethnic groups ending in least desirable and most negative impact on property values - "negroes" were listed at #9 of 10. Mexicans were #10. This was in 1951!!!!!!!! These are bedrock practices, policies, and systematic racist behaviors in the private sector. Gov't sanctioned racism as it has been throughout history.

Fight back and vote. All of these racist practices and a discriminatory appraisal process were designed to fuck us over...and that's just in housing and tied to banking, which primarily affects your wealth... when some of us talk about systemic racism or a white supremacist system, this is a minor example of how the system needs to be changed and/or held accountable.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
I think each state has their separate regulatory agency for appraisers that you can contact or submit a complaint against.

Also through the use of a federal Gov't racist rating system based on race, the Federal Housing Administration, in their underwriting manual gave racist guidance to devalue our properties (homes) and much more. The manual was based on racism - segregation by race to maintain or safeguard property values in white neighborhoods. The manual says "If a neighborhood is to retain stability it is necessary that properties shall continue to be occupied by the same social and racial classes."

Matter of fact, there's a book that's considered an appraising bible of sorts that included a rank order of ethnic groups ending in least desirable and most negative impact on property values - "negroes" were listed at #9 of 10. Mexicans were #10. This was in 1951!!!!!!!! These are bedrock practices, policies, and systematic racist behaviors in the private sector. Gov't sanctioned racism as it has been throughout history.

Fight back and vote. All of these racist practices and a discriminatory appraisal process were designed to fuck us over...and that's just in housing and tied to banking, which primarily affects your wealth... when some of us talk about systemic racism or a white supremacist system, this is a minor example of how the system needs to be changed and/or held accountable.
Voting is one aspect...I would still like that appraiser's face out there...if I lived in that area, I wouldn't want that person appraising my home

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well marrying a white man did help. Got her 135k if I understand correctly.
To be fair, no black man wants her. Whenever I see a black woman with dreads, I know she gonna be fucking white men.
Even if she marries black she really wants a white man.

Swirl Tears. She thought marrying low level white man would bring benefits. No.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
i actually get satisfaction from duping them. put up pictures of a happy white family by finding some pics online and printing them, some blonde kid with freckles and osh gosh b gosh shit, family hugged up and smiling, put a casserole dish on the kitchen table....get it sold quickly, make a profit, and send a thank you card 30 days later with my black ass wearing a doo rag and grinning with 100 bills in my hand. All the bleach in the world ain't gonna erase all those black nuts i done busted. you mad bro?

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I think you need to expand on your question because it doesn’t sound too good
What was the price they paid? The article said they bought it off market from another black family. What were the comps in the area? Discrimination is real, but I need answers before I’m outraged over your $1.4 million dollar appraisal.