Bill Maher on that bullshit again makes racist Popeye's Chicken remark

TheyCallMeBe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bill Maher Kicks Off Black History Month with a Popeyes Chicken Joke That Will Probably Make You Throw Hands

Jay Connor

Yesterday 1:20pm
Filed to: BILL MAHER
z9vdgiprcqzjzwdvis7u.jpg

Photo: Casey Curry (Associated Press)
Remember that time when “comedian” Bill Maher told Republican Senator Ben Sasse: “Work in the fields? Senator, I’m a house ******”? And everyone from Chance the Rapper to Ice Cube came for his neck and told him to shut that shit up before a curb stomping ensued?

Or the time he disrespected the legacy of recently-deceased comic book legend Stan Lee (America is in “deep, deep mourning for a man who inspired millions to, I don’t know, watch a movie, I guess”) and risked death at the hands of a mob of light saber-wielding, Spider-Man web-slinging nerds?

Well Bill Maher just Bill Mahered once again.

On Friday night’s “Real Time” on HBO, Maher was joined by Will Hurd, a Republican congressman repping Texas’ 23rd District, when the following exchange ensued, according to the Daily Beast.

After needling Hurd for his allegiance to the Republican party, shit inevitably went left:

“I’m just asking why you’re a Republican?” he pressed. “Because they’re not good at the debt, that was their big thing. You said limited government, they don’t do that. They took over the Congress in 2011 and they raised the debt a trillion dollars a year. They’re not good at national defense—the president’s a traitor. What’s in it for you? What is in the Republican Party for you? You were in the CIA!”

“I was in the CIA for almost a decade. I was the dude in the back alleys at four o’clock in the morning collecting intelligence on threats to the homeland.”

“That’s where you’d collect it, huh? Wow,” shot back Maher. “By the Popeyes Chicken?”

The usually-game crowd elicited a groan, and Maher flashed an embarrassed look, as if he knew he’d screwed up.

Yeeeeeeeeah, in certain circles that would probably get your ass whooped. And by certain circles I mean ones occupied by graceful aging, moisturized elbows, and copious amounts of melanin.

While he has yet to issue a formal apology, I would expect one is imminent. Provided he’s not already being hung over a balcony by his ankles.

Starts around 4:15 mark

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That’s y’all a liberal white boys lol

I like Bill but sometimes he gets on my nerves. He’s a habitual line stepper

He gets on my nerves too. I watched him tell a proclaimed straight guy in his movie Religulous that if he saw him in a bar if would think he's gay based upon his appearance and mannerisms.
I nearly fell out my chair. Who sounds more gay and has more effeminate mannerisms than Bill Maher? He's sounding more and more like a cranky old bitch with each passing year.
Plus I'm really tired of his Islam bashing and defense of all things Israeli. :hmm:

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He's an edgy comic that says foul shit on purpose. The joke bombed, and when an edgy joke bombs people are going to take offense. I did an improv sketch where I played a bartender for a job interview, and my resume included flunking out of The Cosby School of Mixology. After the show, an angry chick comes up to me and said I was advocating drugging and raping women. I told her that it was so ridiculous, I truly believed that people would understand it was meant as humor.

Silencer

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Okay had to watch the vid and see the dude is black. Cuz otherwise I woulda been scratching my head why mentioning Popeye's is a big deal.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
He's an edgy comic that says foul shit on purpose. The joke bombed, and when an edgy joke bombs people are going to take offense. I did an improv sketch where I played a bartender for a job interview, and my resume included flunking out of The Cosby School of Mixology. After the show, an angry chick comes up to me and said I was advocating drugging and raping women. I told her that it was so ridiculous, I truly believed that people would understand it was meant as humor.

I hear you but my thing is...

This isn't the club

This big time TV

He is a veteran

And he got a HISTORY of this bullsh*t

And most importantly?

It wasn't funny

And didn't make sense.

Being a "comedian" comes with responsibilities.

He needs to get this work.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
That’s really all it is. But I like watching Bill have to squirm just like he likes to set up for other folks lol

Iron Man

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
watched it this morning after i heard it, i knew he was going catch heat for it. but not a big deal the confused republican Will Hurd scares me more.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
Didn't seem edgy to me...just seemed like a typical Black joke that racists tell....the "house n..." joke that he told a while back was more edgy

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Okay had to watch the vid and see the dude is black. Cuz otherwise I woulda been scratching my head why mentioning Popeye's is a big deal.

People forget white folks like chicken also. Reminds me how folks went nuts over Mary J Blige chicken commercial. An example of how we perpetuate racial stereotypes against ourselves. One of Dave Chapelle's last skits tackled a similar issue. I never understood why Mary got so much shit and the Popeye's lady, Deidrie Henry been black forever it seems. By the way, Deidrie Henry.. RAW.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Bill still in the 1990s. He got jokes for everyone and that shit don't fly no more. It's a different era. Only demographic I haven't seen him clown are non-religious people, but I don't think his detractors mention that he offends every fucking body. That's why he's falling out of favor with folks on the far left.

If they ain't get him for the jew or gay jokes, they ain't getting him for black jokes. And yeah, he got jew and gay jokes.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Bill still in the 1990s. He got jokes for everyone and that shit don't fly no more. It's a different era. Only demographic I haven't seen him clown are non-religious people, but I don't think his detractors mention that he offends every fucking body. That's why he's falling out of favor with folks on the far left.

If they ain't get him for the jew or gay jokes, they ain't getting him for black jokes. And yeah, he got jew and gay jokes.
I don’t wish to go back in time often but damn I miss that time when people weren’t so pussy. His joke wasn’t funny and he pulled Popeyes chicken from no where but I don’t give a fuck.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Paging Dr. Dyson!!!
Paging Dr. Michael Eric Dyson!!!
Bill Maher (once again) needs you to save him from Black people by making his racism seem like a harmless "misunderstanding" or just a bad joke...:hmm:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Bill aint never make no jokes or say anything bad about Israel

Ever.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
I never understood why Mary got so much shit and the Popeye's lady, Deidrie Henry been black forever it seems. By the way, Deidrie Henry.. RAW.

the popeyes chick catches heat too. i hate those commercials. might as well be a sambo aunt jemima coonin it up to sell chicken.

deputy dawg

~wait a cotton pickin' minute...
BGOL Investor
the show used to be called 'Politically Incorrect'.
he says stupid shit; he 's funny sometimes/not funny sometimes.
the sun doesn't rise & set with his opinions.
it's when other people on his show let loose - speak in ways they can't/won't elsewhere on TV.
that's why I watch it.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Bill aint never make no jokes or say anything bad about Israel

Ever.
You sure about that? They got a 7 minute comp of him making jokes about Jews on YouTube. It's a few Israel ones. He was clowning when they forced Jews to move out of Gaza. One joke was playing on the racism of jews by saying move a black family in. Check it out for yourself.

Again, he goes at everyone except atheists. That's his brand of comedy. His shtick. So now what? Just saying, be careful what you wish for with this one. The folks on the far left want him gone for a reason.

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
the popeyes chick catches heat too. I hate those commercials. might as well be a sambo aunt jemima coonin it up to sell chicken.

That's in your mind. Don't get me wrong if you are of a certain age then it might pop into your head. You just have to realize its bullshit. Black people love fried chicken, White people love fried chicken, all kinds of people like fried chicken. All kinds of people cook fried chicken. I'm glad that the Popeyes chick keeps that job. Imagine turning down good money because of an outdated racial stereotype. Meanwhile, black folks stay in Popeyes and KFC for that matter right along with white folks buying chicken. If we are part of the market why can't we be represented in advertising?

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Fuck Bill Maher. Just because he is liberal doesn't mean that we have to support his loose lips and habitiual racists bullshit

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
That's in your mind. Don't get me wrong if you are of a certain age then it might pop into your head. You just have to realize its bullshit. Black people love fried chicken, White people love fried chicken, all kinds of people like fried chicken. All kinds of people cook fried chicken. I'm glad that the Popeyes chick keeps that job. Imagine turning down good money because of an outdated racial stereotype. Meanwhile, black folks stay in Popeyes and KFC for that matter right along with white folks buying chicken. If we are part of the market why can't we be represented in advertising?

u are clearly missing the historical point. i might need to illustrate it to you like i had to do when obama was first elected and people were dropping historically racist cartoons about michelle and i had to educate people here that "couldn't see it."

Last edited: