BGOL Ongoing Formula One Thread: 2024 Season

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Really hopes he wins this season! It got quite boring vettel winning them three times in a row! Hamilton will do us proud without a doubt!

SLY

International
International Member
Really hopes he wins this season! It got quite boring vettel winning them three times in a row! Hamilton will do us proud without a doubt!

***correction: 4 times***

I hope this is lewis' year to win his long overdue second title, but worryingly he's driving against a german team mate in a german team. then there's the double points for the last race in Abu Dhabi. This is gonna be long season. :yes:

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
***correction: 4 times***

I hope this is lewis' year to win his long overdue second title, but worryingly he's driving against a german team mate in a german team. then there's the double points for the last race in Abu Dhabi. This is gonna be long season. :yes:

Yeah that Abu Dhabi race will be HUGE. Lewis won straight out the gate in China.

Can't wait for the Spanish GP in two weeks. :dance:

SLY

International
International Member
4 STRAIGHT GRAND PRIX WINS. LEWIS HAMILTON WINS RACIST SPANISH GRAND PRIX:dance::dance::dance:

article-2625562-1DBFDE6A00000578-693_634x346.jpg

Lewis Hamilton held off Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg over the dying stages of the Spanish Grand Prix to win his fourth successive race.

The gap was just 0.6 seconds between the duelling duo come the chequered flag that dropped after 66 laps, allowing Hamilton to move to the top of the championship for the first time in almost two years.

Daniel Ricciardo finished on the podium for the second time this season, albeit for the first time legitimately after the Australian was disqualified from his home race in March after a fuel irregularity with his Red Bull.

article-2625562-1DBFB8BD00000578-730_634x523.jpg

Hamilton now has history on his side because on every one of the 19 previous occasions a driver has won four races in a row in one season he has gone on to claim the world championship.

For Hamilton, this victory will also serve as a crucial psychological blow as it again appeared as if Rosberg had the strategic edge, as in Bahrain last month.

But again Hamilton was able to keep Rosberg at bay, leaving the German to settle for second place for the fourth straight race, with the latter now three points adrift.

On the podium, a clearly relieved Hamilton said: "A big thank you to my team, my first win here in Spain, and it means everything to me.

'Overall, I wasn't fast enough, Nico was quicker, so I had to rely on my engineers a lot more to help me with my settings.

'Fortunately I was able to keep him behind me.'

As for Rosberg, he felt he would have had a shot at Hamilton if there had been one more lap.

Describing himself as 'a bit gutted' at losing his championship lead, Rosberg added: 'There are still plenty more races to go.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2625562/Lewis-Hamilton-makes-FOUR-wins-row-Spanish-GP-Brit-beats-Mercedes-team-mate-Nico-Rosberg-chequered-flag.html

Last edited:

Wobble Wobble

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've posted a shot of a Formula 1 steering wheel before, but this is great:

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/formula-1-steering-wheels/

An Inside Look at the Insanely Complex Formula 1 Steering Wheel
By Jordan Golson 05.07.14

2qdtkb4.jpg

The modern Formula 1 car is among the most amazing machines ever made. And when you’re going wheel-to-wheel with someone like four-time world champ Sebastian Vettel at 180 mph, you can’t take a hand off the wheel to do, well, anything. Every task a driver might need to do, every bit of information he might need to know, is quite literally at his fingertips.

The modern Formula 1 steering wheel is, therefore, the most amazing ever made. It is, in every way, the nerve center of the car.

That’s because an F1 car has dozens of parameters that can be adjusted on the fly, but only by the driver. Although telemetry provides a nonstop stream of data to engineers on the pitwall and at team HQ, the driver has sole control over things like differential settings, the air-fuel mix, and the torque curve. All of these settings can change several times during a race, or even a lap. Adjustments must be made while keeping both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the track, which is why a modern F1 wheel might have 35 or more knobs, buttons and switches flanking a small LCD screen introduced this season. Drivers also use small paddles behind the wheel to shift up and down as many as 4,000 times in a race, and a third paddle to engage the clutch.

The PCU-8D LCD screen, made by McLaren Electronics, is 4.3 inches wide with a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels. It can display as many as 100 pages of info and the data–everything from engine RPM and oil temperature to current lap speed and how many laps remain–can be configured by the driver or his engineer. This year marks a transition to the new technology, with some teams–including Infiniti Red Bull Racing–sticking with the older, simpler, PCU-6D for one more season.
So What Do All Those Buttons Do, Anyway?

The photo above shows the steering wheel from the Sauber C33, the cars Esteban Gutiérrez and Adrian Sutil are campaigning this season. Teams are notoriously tightlipped about technology, and none of the teams we reached out to had anything at all to say about them, but Sauber has published a diagram explaining everything the wheel does (we’ve mentioned the color of each button to help you find it):

Yellow N button: Selects neutral from 1st or 2nd gear.
BRKBAL (brake balance) rotary switch: Adjusts the front and rear brake balance.
Black Box button: Confirms the driver’s intention to come to the pits.
Blue and orange S1/S2 buttons: These can be programmed for various funcutions.
Entry rotary switch: This allows the driver to make changes to corner entry settings of the differential.
Orange and green BRK-/BRK+ buttons: These change the brake balance between a programmed position and the current BRKBAL rotary position.
IGN (ignition) rotary switch: Controls ignition timing.
White ACK (acknowledge) button: Acknowledges changes in the system.
PREL (preload) rotary switch: Controls the preload differential offset torque.
Red Oil button: Transfers oil from the auxiliary tank to the main tank.
Black BP (bite point) button: Activates the clutch bite point finding procedure.
DRS (drag reduction system) button, upper left edge of the wheel: Activates the rear wing flap in the DRS zone.
Red PL (pit lane) button: Activates the pit lane speed limiter, limiting the car to the designated pit lane speed limit (typically 100 km/hr).
Black R button: Activates the driver radio transmission.
SOC rotary switch: Controls the state of charge of the ERS energy storage system, whether the system is generating or consuming energy.
Pedal rotary switch: Changes the pedal map dictating how the accelerator pedal responds to inputs.
Fuel rotary switch: Controls the rate of fuel consumption.
Black OT button: Activates configurable performance maps to assist the driver in overtaking or defending.
Tire rotary switch: Tells the ECU and other systems what type of tire the car is running on.
BBal-/BBal+ switches: These are used to make fine adjustments to the brake balance offset.
MFRS (multi-function rotary switch): This allows the driver and engineers to control a variety of systems that don’t require a dedicated buttons. They include engine modes (PERF), rev limiter (ENG), air-fuel ratio (MIX), turbo-compressor (TURBO), corner exit differential (VISCO), MGU-K recovery limits (BRK), MGU-K boost limits (BOOST), dashboard options (DASH), cruise control (CC, disabled for qualifying and the race), shift type (SHIFT), and the clutch bite point offset (CLU).
White -10/+1 buttons: These allow quick navigation of maps from the MFRS dial.

That’s a lot to process, and it doesn’t even include the pages of data that can be relayed through the LCD screen. More information isn’t always a good thing, which is why most teams let each driver decide which wheel they prefer– the older style with the simpler display or the new wheel with the LCD. That said, the LCD screens have a distinct advantage, in that the driver knows exactly that’s going on, something that saved Nico Rosberg’s bacon when his car’s telemetry system failed just before the race in China. With no information from the car, engineers had to ask Rosberg for periodic updates on fuel consumption and other information. The Mercedes AMG Petronas driver eventually grew annoyed by the repeated queries and asked his engineers to kindly shut up and let him get on with the business at hand–taking second place behind teammate Lewis Hamilton.

Last edited:

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've posted a shot of a Formula 1 steering wheel before, but this is great:

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/formula-1-steering-wheels/

An Inside Look at the Insanely Complex Formula 1 Steering Wheel
By Jordan Golson 05.07.14

2qdtkb4.jpg

The modern Formula 1 car is among the most amazing machines ever made. And when you’re going wheel-to-wheel with someone like four-time world champ Sebastian Vettel at 180 mph, you can’t take a hand off the wheel to do, well, anything. Every task a driver might need to do, every bit of information he might need to know, is quite literally at his fingertips.

The modern Formula 1 steering wheel is, therefore, the most amazing ever made. It is, in every way, the nerve center of the car.

That’s because an F1 car has dozens of parameters that can be adjusted on the fly, but only by the driver. Although telemetry provides a nonstop stream of data to engineers on the pitwall and at team HQ, the driver has sole control over things like differential settings, the air-fuel mix, and the torque curve. All of these settings can change several times during a race, or even a lap. Adjustments must be made while keeping both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the track, which is why a modern F1 wheel might have 35 or more knobs, buttons and switches flanking a small LCD screen introduced this season. Drivers also use small paddles behind the wheel to shift up and down as many as 4,000 times in a race, and a third paddle to engage the clutch.

The PCU-8D LCD screen, made by McLaren Electronics, is 4.3 inches wide with a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels. It can display as many as 100 pages of info and the data–everything from engine RPM and oil temperature to current lap speed and how many laps remain–can be configured by the driver or his engineer. This year marks a transition to the new technology, with some teams–including Infiniti Red Bull Racing–sticking with the older, simpler, PCU-6D for one more season.
So What Do All Those Buttons Do, Anyway?

The photo above shows the steering wheel from the Sauber C33, the cars Esteban Gutiérrez and Adrian Sutil are campaigning this season. Teams are notoriously tightlipped about technology, and none of the teams we reached out to had anything at all to say about them, but Sauber has published a diagram explaining everything the wheel does (we’ve mentioned the color of each button to help you find it):

Yellow N button: Selects neutral from 1st or 2nd gear.
BRKBAL (brake balance) rotary switch: Adjusts the front and rear brake balance.
Black Box button: Confirms the driver’s intention to come to the pits.
Blue and orange S1/S2 buttons: These can be programmed for various funcutions.
Entry rotary switch: This allows the driver to make changes to corner entry settings of the differential.
Orange and green BRK-/BRK+ buttons: These change the brake balance between a programmed position and the current BRKBAL rotary position.
IGN (ignition) rotary switch: Controls ignition timing.
White ACK (acknowledge) button: Acknowledges changes in the system.
PREL (preload) rotary switch: Controls the preload differential offset torque.
Red Oil button: Transfers oil from the auxiliary tank to the main tank.
Black BP (bite point) button: Activates the clutch bite point finding procedure.
DRS (drag reduction system) button, upper left edge of the wheel: Activates the rear wing flap in the DRS zone.
Red PL (pit lane) button: Activates the pit lane speed limiter, limiting the car to the designated pit lane speed limit (typically 100 km/hr).
Black R button: Activates the driver radio transmission.
SOC rotary switch: Controls the state of charge of the ERS energy storage system, whether the system is generating or consuming energy.
Pedal rotary switch: Changes the pedal map dictating how the accelerator pedal responds to inputs.
Fuel rotary switch: Controls the rate of fuel consumption.
Black OT button: Activates configurable performance maps to assist the driver in overtaking or defending.
Tire rotary switch: Tells the ECU and other systems what type of tire the car is running on.
BBal-/BBal+ switches: These are used to make fine adjustments to the brake balance offset.
MFRS (multi-function rotary switch): This allows the driver and engineers to control a variety of systems that don’t require a dedicated buttons. They include engine modes (PERF), rev limiter (ENG), air-fuel ratio (MIX), turbo-compressor (TURBO), corner exit differential (VISCO), MGU-K recovery limits (BRK), MGU-K boost limits (BOOST), dashboard options (DASH), cruise control (CC, disabled for qualifying and the race), shift type (SHIFT), and the clutch bite point offset (CLU).
White -10/+1 buttons: These allow quick navigation of maps from the MFRS dial.

That’s a lot to process, and it doesn’t even include the pages of data that can be relayed through the LCD screen. More information isn’t always a good thing, which is why most teams let each driver decide which wheel they prefer– the older style with the simpler display or the new wheel with the LCD. That said, the LCD screens have a distinct advantage, in that the driver knows exactly that’s going on, something that saved Nico Rosberg’s bacon when his car’s telemetry system failed just before the race in China. With no information from the car, engineers had to ask Rosberg for periodic updates on fuel consumption and other information. The Mercedes AMG Petronas driver eventually grew annoyed by the repeated queries and asked his engineers to kindly shut up and let him get on with the business at hand–taking second place behind teammate Lewis Hamilton.

Man, that thing looks complicated as hell. I dunno how those guys do it. They are truly talented on the track with their skillz.

SIDESHOW

Uncle Juice
BGOL Investor
I've got to get to Monaco :eek::dance:

Mercedes is DOMINATING, but those two drovers hate each others guts.:smh:

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've got to get to Monaco :eek::dance:

Mercedes is DOMINATING, but those two drovers hate each others guts.:smh:

Yeah, there's no love lost between them and this is probably the oldest rivalry on the grid. They've been duking it out since karting days.

article-2210188-1541BA25000005DC-243_468x424.jpg

I think Rosberg needs to enjoy every second of this win, because the next few races historically Lewis's best events. This Monaco win, kinda was hollow and he's knows it. From qualifying yesterday to Lewis's unfortunate eye issue. But's that's Monaco shit happens when you have to drive on a knife's edge.:cool:

Wobble Wobble

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm Tifosi, but I follow Lewis for obvious reasons and when I was a kid, Keke Rosberg was my driver. Nico told him to move to Mercedes from McLaren.

Lauda: "You have to be a bastard to win in Formula 1"

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report...-hamilton-to-get-over-events-of-the-monaco-gp

Hamilton and Rosberg's long-term friendship, with was formed when they were teenage team-mates in karting, appears to have been fractured by the events of Monaco GP in the wake of the latter's controversial winning of pole position in qualifying.

Having failed to give his team-mate the benefit of the doubt after Rosberg's trip off the circuit brought out the yellow flags which wrecked Hamilton's own bid for pole, relations between the pair showed no signs of improving after the German driver won Sunday's race. After exchanging no words before or during the podium ceremony, Hamilton then declared to Sky F1 "we are not friends, we are colleagues".

Hamilton - 'We're not friends'

Adding fuel to the simmering situation was Lauda's confirmation to Sky F1's Martin Brundle on the grid that Hamilton had gone against the team's instructions at the Spanish GP by activating a higher power engine setting during his tight duel for victory with Rosberg, something the Briton, who won the race, later apologised to his team-mate for.

Asked what Hamilton had been so angry about in Monaco on Saturday, Lauda, who serves as the non-executive chairman of Mercedes' F1 operation, said: "They were arguing about it, that Nico did it deliberately, but the stewards cleared him, which for me is the most important.

"Nico said 'no, I'm sorry that I braked too late'. He apologised, which I have to respect. We had a race incident before in Barcelona where Lewis did something and then we said 'hey, this is not correct' and he said 'I'm sorry'. So basically [they are] both grown-up people and I'm sure that Lewis will overcome this after one night's sleep.

Put to him that Hamilton didn't appear in the mood to forgive and forget, Lauda replied: "Give him time. He will sleep tonight, hopefully makes a good party with Nicole, and then [he will] speak to him tomorrow and I guarantee you it will be fixed.

"If not, I'm his mentor anyway and if there's anymore issues I will call him and say 'Lewis, come on, work it out' because I'm supporting both in my ex-driving ideas and sometimes I go against the management.

"I'm in constant contact with him. So maybe he calls me; if not I call him and ask how he is. But not today!"

With the battle for the 2014 Drivers' Championship increasingly looking likely to prove a private affair between Hamilton and Rosberg, Lauda insisted there was nothing unusual in the drivers attempting to seek out advantages over each other.

The Austrian, who drew parallels with his own experiences with Alain Prost at McLaren in 1984 -Lauda won that year's title, his third, by half a point despite winning two fewer races than his French team-mate and qualifying ahead only once - admitted that while in his view the "emotional" Hamilton was quicker than Rosberg over a single lap, the latter was working hard in other areas to match him, making for a good dynamic.

"Yes, this normal, you can't stop it," Lauda said of the rivalry. "Honestly, one thing is clear: Lewis, from my point of view, has one, two tenths advantage on Nico because he can get the laps in qualifying in order. Nico is working hard with the mechanics, the engineers, with the tyres, how many laps, forward and backwards.

"So we have one natural talent, very emotional, and we have another guy who is doing the same job in another way. So we are in a very comfortable situation. We have two different drivers, but in the end they do the same speed, or the same results. So it's a very good situation. "

The Austrian, however, made clear that it was up to the Mercedes team to ensure that the rivalry didn't boil over. "The tension is building up, no question, but we have to make sure the tension doesn't get out of hand," Lauda added. "I know with my experience and with our drivers in the past when it gets out of hand. So if they don't say hello in the morning anymore to each other, then I think it's out of hand."

But despite the increasingly bitter nature of the Hamilton/Rosberg dynamic, the seasoned Lauda declared: "You have to be a b****** if you want to win in Formula 1 anyway. No question. You cannot win being a nice guy. Tell me one nice guy out there?"

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Nikki Lauda (austrian) and Mercedes (german) are pulling for the german. in Spain they put Lewis on the options and Rosberg on primes for a long stint. Monaco, they boxed Lewis SECOND. how u gonna box the points leader second? and again had a fucked up tire strategy for him. didn't protest that bullshit move in qualifing. Shumi did that shit to Alonzo and got put to the back of the grid. dude hit Massa got 2 spot penalty. da fuck?
Well, in Monaco the post usually wins cause it's so hard to pass. unless you're Senna.
I'll be in Montreal for the next round. Lewis needs to shut his mouth and drive.

lesson here is: they don't want to see a Black man win shit

Osca Lee

REALNA'MUTHAFUCKA
Registered
Nikki Lauda (austrian) and Mercedes (german) are pulling for the german. in Spain they put Lewis on the options and Rosberg on primes for a long stint. Monaco, they boxed Lewis SECOND. how u gonna box the points leader second? and again had a fucked up tire strategy for him. didn't protest that bullshit move in qualifing. Shumi did that shit to Alonzo and got put to the back of the grid. dude hit Massa got 2 spot penalty. da fuck?
Well, in Monaco the post usually wins cause it's so hard to pass. unless you're Senna.
I'll be in Montreal for the next round. Lewis needs to shut his mouth and drive.

lesson here is: they don't want to see a Black man win shit

Take some pics

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lewis got rob of pole position, that is why he lost the last race.

He did and they tried to explain his yanking the steering wheel as him trying to gain control of the car after locking up. He was yanking that shit before he locked up. check the video....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cwqaGj7qgj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nobody else made that mistake or crazy movement at that corner the pundits were saying. Lewis wasn't buying that shit from the telemetry, he knows what's up. Fucked up part is ,it looked like Lewis would've had a good chance to jump him in the pits. Nico's tires were going off and he was locking up like crazy before the safety car came out. All Lewis had to do was put in a fast lap while Nico pitting. It's shame what happen to his vision, can't explain that one, but the way he was putting pressure on Nico, he looked like he would've got him locking up again close to the end for nice overtake opportunity.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sitting here expecting miracles frm Hamilton then the car fucks up...now im leaving not interested anymore.

......Sent from NSA Monitored Device

ajb2k6

Support BGOL
Registered
Sitting here expecting miracles frm Hamilton then the car fucks up...now im leaving not interested anymore.

......Sent from NSA Monitored Device

Same here. I am so pissed watching this now. I'm wondering if his brakes fucked up when he ran wide on the corner? Or he ran wide because the brakes fucked up before?

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good race. Sucks that Hamilton brakes failed. Rosberg is a lucky SOB. I thought the next 3 cars were going to overtake him.

ajb2k6

Support BGOL
Registered
Massa brakes locked up I guess, insane. Redbull podium again, this is their day, Riccardo got lucky. Even Riccardo cant believe it. Announcers were in glee that Mercedes didnt come in first.

I'm cool with Rosberg not winning...a lower points gap with Hamilton.

It's going to be an uphill battle for Lewis now.

SLY

International
International Member
Best race of the season so far. The Mercedes dominance has been broken it seems. Reliability will play a factor in the remaining races.

Disappointed for Lewis. Just seems like everything is going against him. 2 DNF's will be hard to recover from, but the last race with the double points may be his saving grace.
Rosberg is due some 'bad luck'. Somehow I can't see this happening to the 'German'. :rolleyes:
Must be a bitter pill to swallow knowing that you have to rely on cacs to provide you with the tools to be successful in your profession. Hopefully there isn't a conspiracy and Hamilton is allowed to compete with Nico :(

Next up, Austria