• Parliament-Funkadelic

Votes: 22 22.4%

• Total voters

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Which is the best (or your favorite) R&B/funk band from the 70's

a_8564.jpg

Earth, Wind & Fire (abbreviated as EWF or EW&F) is an American band that has spanned the musical genres of R&B, soul, funk, jazz, disco, pop, rock, dance, Latin, and Afro pop.They have been described as one of the most innovative and commercially successful acts of all time.Rolling Stone called them "innovative, precise yet sensual, calculated yet galvanizing" and declared that the band "changed the sound of black pop".[5]VH1 has also described EWF as "one of the greatest bands" ever.

the-commodores-portrait-billboard-1548.jpg

Commodores is an American funk/soul band, which was at its peak in the late 1970s through the mid 1980s. The members of the group met as mostly freshmen at Tuskegee Institute (now Tuskegee University) in 1968, and signed with Motown in November 1972.
The group's most successful period was in the late 1970s and early 1980s when Lionel Richie was the co-lead singer. The band's biggest hit singles are ballads such as "Easy", "Three Times a Lady", and "Nightshift"; and funky dance hits which include "Brick House", "Fancy Dancer", "Lady (You Bring Me Up)", and "Too Hot ta Trot".

th

Ohio Players were an American funk, soul music and R&B band, most popular in the 1970s. They are best known for their songs "Fire" and "Love Rollercoaster".
Gold certifications, records selling at least five hundred thousand copies, were awarded to the singles "Funky Worm", "Skin Tight", "Fire", and "Love Rollercoaster"; as well as their albums Skin Tight, Fire, and Honey.

th

Heatwave is an international funk/disco band formed in 1975. It is still current and playing UK dates (2019). Its most popular line-up featured Americans Johnnie Wilder Jr. and Keith Wilder (vocals) of Dayton, Ohio; Englishman Rod Temperton (keyboards); Swiss Mario Mantese (bass); Czechoslovak Ernest "Bilbo" Berger (drums); Jamaican Eric Johns (guitar); and Briton Roy Carter (guitar).[2]
They are known for their singles "Boogie Nights", "The Groove Line", and "Always and Forever".

6d2eede736b3941fcf625c15932c5aec.jpg

The Average White Band (also AWB) are a Scottish funk and R&B band that had a series of soul and discohitsbetween 1974 and 1980. They are best known for their million-selling instrumental track "Pick Up the Pieces", and their albums AWB and Cut the Cake. The band name was initially proposed by Bonnie Bramlett; the band backed Bramlett on her first solo outing, 1973's Sweet Bonnie Bramlett, an album that presaged the Disco movement, particularly with the track Crazy 'Bout My Baby played heavily in dance clubs.

KooltheGang-414x307.jpg

Kool & the Gang are an American musical group formed in Jersey City, New Jersey in 1964 by brothers Robert "Kool" Bell and Ronald Bell, with Dennis "D.T." Thomas, Robert Mickens, Charles Smith, George Brown, and Ricky West. They have undergone numerous changes in personnel and have explored many musical styles throughout their history, including jazz, soul, funk, rock, and pop music. After settling on their name following several changes, the group signed to De-Lite Records and released their debut album, Kool and the Gang (1970).

K-C-And-The-Sunshine-Band-classic-r-and-b-music-40925912-500-375.jpg

KC and the Sunshine Band is an American disco and funk band, founded in 1973 in Hialeah, Florida.[1][2] Their best-known songs include the hits "That's the Way (I Like It)", "(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty", "I'm Your Boogie Man", "Keep It Comin' Love", "Get Down Tonight", "Boogie Shoes", "Please Don't Go" and "Give It Up". The band took its name from lead vocalist Harry Wayne Casey's last name ("KC") and the "Sunshine Band" from KC's home state of Florida, the Sunshine State. The group had six top 10 singles, five number one singles and one number two single on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

rose-royce-feature.jpg

Rose Royce is an Americansoul and R&B group. They are best known for several hit singles during the 1970s including "Car Wash", "I Wanna Get Next to You", "I'm Going Down", "Wishing on a Star", and "Love Don't Live Here Anymore".

th

The Isley Brothers (/ˈaɪzliː/) are an American musical group originally from Cincinnati, Ohio, consisting of brothers O'Kelly Isley Jr., Rudolph Isley and Ronald Isley. The inclusion of younger brothers Ernie Isley (lead guitar, drums) and Marvin Isley (bass guitar), and Rudolph's brother-in-law Chris Jasper (keyboards, synthesizers) in 1973 turned the original vocal trio into a self-contained musical band. For the next full decade, they recorded top-selling albums including The Heat Is On and Between the Sheets.

RUFUS-Nice1.jpg

Rufus was an American funk band from Chicago, Illinois, best known for launching the career of lead singer Chaka Khan. They had several hits throughout their career, including "Tell Me Something Good", "Sweet Thing", "Do You Love What You Feel" and "Ain't Nobody". Rufus and Chaka Khan were one of the most popular and influential funk bands of the 1970s, with four consecutive number one R&B albums, ten Top 40 Pop Hits and five number one R&B singles, among other accolades.

e307193242

The Bar-Kays are an American soul, R&B, and funk group formed in 1966. The group had dozens of chartingsinglesfrom the 1960s to the 1980s.

542e4c1784393ae8b58b743af192168a--funk-bands-soul-funk.jpg

Con Funk Shun is an AmericanR&B and funkband whose popularity began in the mid-1970s and ran through the 1980s.Signed to Mercury Records in 1976, Con Funk Shun enjoyed a decade of successful national and overseas tours, eleven chart-topping albums, and numerous hit singles.

L-T-D.png

L.T.D. is an AmericanR&B/funkband best known for their 1977 hit single, "(Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again" and "Holding On (When Love Is Gone)", as well as their many ballads, such as "Love Ballad", "We Both Deserve Each Other's Love", and "Where Did We Go Wrong?".

main-qimg-b24f2fe27322cca108f672aa625206c9

Parliament-Funkadelic (abbreviated as P-Funk) is an American funkmusic collective of rotating musicians headed by George Clinton, primarily consisting of the individual bands Parliament and Funkadelic, both active since the 1960s. Their distinctive funk style drew on psychedelic culture, outlandish fashion, science-fiction, and surreal humor.

The Best Funk/R&B Band Of The 80's
https://www.bgol.us/forum/threads/the-best-funk-r-b-of-the-80s.1053549/

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 10,500
Last edited by a moderator:

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
"K.C. and the Sunshine Band"? :roflmao:

That being said, you left out Bootsy's Rubber Band, Pleasure, Brick, Graham Central Station, Lakeside, Prince, Fatback Band, and a host of others. Even though I'm a HUGE EW&F fan, I'm going with The Bomb. BTW, I've seen all of the bands in the OP in concert.

Last edited:

the artist

Same shit, different day
BGOL Investor

That being said, you left out Bootsy's Rubber Band, Pleasure, Brick, Graham Central Station, Lakeside, Prince, Fatback Band, and a host of others. Even though I'm a HUGE EW&F fan, I'm going with The Bomb. BTW, I've seen all of the bands in the OP in concert.

I was also surprised to not see Rick James on the list since he performed both genres himself.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
I was also surprised to not see Rick James on the list since he performed both genres himself.
For real!!! I saw the Fired Up tour in the early 80s. Oh, I also gotta include Mandrill and The Jimmy Castor Bunch, and JAMES BROWN!!!!!! How the fuck do you not include JAMES BROWN?!!!!! Yeah, you can call Slick Rick and JB solo artists, but those acts were a BAND. Without the Stone City Band and the JBs, those guys wouldn't be what they became.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
Dude Your list is incomplete

They were sort of related to New Birth group

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
No. You can't really say Rick James because of SCB or James Brown because of the JBs. Then you have to say all the artists who appeared in front of the Funk Brothers and most especially artists who appeared in front of MFSB or their later incarnation as the Salsoul Orchestra. Or even in front of Instant Funk when they were the PIR house band (after MFSB split the label).

So yeah, maybe OP could be more precise in the parameters; maybe a limit of 8-10 pieces self-contained, excluding house bands (new thread idea?).

And don't forget The Jimmy Castor Bunch. A very versatile group of excellent musicians who could funk with the best of them.

Last edited:

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member

how did he not say Slave???

d8d40de563d245a59c0a0e7a653c956f

danny webster starleana young and kurt jones are friends of my family and drac was a friend

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Dude Your list is incomplete

They were sort of related to New Birth group

LOVE New Birth, but they had neither the longevity nor the commercial success that would make them eligible to be part of such a list. Still love them tho.... never forget that crazy ass record they made called Iwashmyhandsofthedeal ... that was my first experience of listening to them.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Welp, minus whale cancel the next two days of sleep while I cruise down memory lane and reminisce about my childhood and youth.
Somebody wake me up on Monday night.:roflmao:

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
George clinton the isleys second.....but they all bring some great to the table.

what about frankie beverly and maze?