Best places to visit "Dolo" aka "Solo"

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Just looking for good food, good scenery, easy to get around town, and most of all, a chance to experience new sights and sound.

Doesn't matter where on the planet but of course cost friendly.

Much thanks!

Diomedes3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cartagena, Colombia
1. Black friendly
2. Cheap conversion from USD
3. Beautiful women
4. Good weather
5. Great cultural experiences

Stay in the tourist section though either in the walled city or Boca Grande because you might become food outside of there. It is very poor but it is a dope place.

richlove

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why you say that?

I'm trying to go somewhere for the Christmas holidays just to lay back and do nothing but take in the scenery and try new things
I understand that..just be extremely careful. A lot of dudes solo trip and have a good set up or are plain lucky. I know from experience. It's shit from kidnapping. murder for no reason to organ harvesting going on in some of them shits. And many can smell a tourist a mile away. But it's hard to get the real experience of the culture ....(or the cheap hoes :D) when you stay in the tourist area.

cocobeauty

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I understand that..just be extremely careful. A lot of dudes solo trip and have a good set up or are plain lucky. I know from experience. It's shit from kidnapping. murder for no reason to organ harvesting going on in some of them shits. And many can smell a tourist a mile away. But it's hard to get the real experience of the culture ....(or the cheap hoes :D) when you stay in the tourist area.
All of this has been my reason for being limited where I go as a female alone. I plan to be very careful.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
1. Cartagena
2. Medellin
3. Bogota
Alright, you know what I'm gonna ask:
If Medellin is the "city" with all of the modern amenities and the spot where the most English speakers are, what makes Cartegena a better spot for a first-time traveler to Columbia?

d-weezy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Alright, you know what I'm gonna ask:
If Medellin is the "city" with all of the modern amenities and the spot where the most English speakers are, what makes Cartegena a better spot for a first-time traveler to Columbia?
Cartegena is the most modern. You can stay in Boca Granda which has the bootleg Miami esque hotel strip but the beach is wack so you'd have to drive about an hour to the nice one or the touristy one.
You can stay in the walled city and get the real culture of the city and have everything in walking distance.
Cartegena is the closest to the Palenque which is a great tour to do of the first city of freed slaves in the Americas.
There are many people that can speak or understand basic English for you to get around and be friendly especially if you're darker skinned.

Medellin is also a touristy culture aspect that more laid back.

richlove

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All of this has been my reason for being limited where I go as a female alone. I plan to be very careful.
Damn. My bad. I didn't even notice you were a female. Have you ever looked into traveling groups for singles? I've heard good things

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor

I have a girlfriend a few years ago that did Colombia and was just fine. However, three years ago, when I was planning to go, a old co-worker warned me against going by myself. I did Quito, Ecuador by myself just fine and even traveled outside that city to Banos and a few other places just fine. Really pretty place that uses US currency and with good public transportation.

cocobeauty

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I have a girlfriend a few years ago that did Colombia and was just fine. However, three years ago, when I was planning to go, a old co-worker warned me against going by myself. I did Quito, Ecuador by myself just fine and even traveled outside that city to Banos and a few other places just fine. Really pretty place that uses US currency and with good public transportation.
Thank you! How have you been? How's the baby?

MCP

International
International Member
Just got back from a Solo trip through Thailand and The Philippines.

Third solo trip after traveling to France, Belgium and Turkey on previous trips.

Good points.

Warm weather
Friendly people.
Food cheap as here out there
Your money does stretch out here. £1 = 40 Thai Baht
Bangkok is an amazing city once you get out of the tourist areas.

Bad points.

Too damm hot!

Definitely will do this again.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Sometimes a road trip is a good way to travel solo - just make sure you're really well-equipped and prepared. I.E. ...

- Give yourself ample time - don't rush - if you're feeling tired - make it a shorter day on the road and get more sleep at hotel or motel
- Make sure you have a trusty, reliable vehicle - have it looked over or tuned up prior to departure
- Bring plenty of food, money + CC(s), water, extra clothing and / or blankets ... and general emergency supplies (flashlight, batteries, small traffic cones or pylons in case you have vehicle problems roadside in sketchy, unlit areas of highway or freeway
- Aim to travel during the spring or summer ... as to avoid shitty weather conditions of fall or winter
- Tell your friends and family what your general plans are ... have an itinerary
- Update people on your whereabouts by phone, email, or text along the way ... especially when you have better reception (at hotels, motels)
- See if you can combine it with destination points along the way ... meet up with friends or family and get visits in with them - stop in for a meal, spend the night, whatever

Last edited:

Dadecountycane

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Due for a bump

Just leaving Panama after putting it off for a few other destination.

Beautiful, culture and people. Panama City has a heavy US influence.

Any other good spots to check out?

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Just got back from another trip to Singapore and Philippines (Davao City). Beautiful beaches, friendly locals and some amazing food.

I almost cried when I had to leave.
Did you try the balut?