BATWOMAN Discussion Thread.. Javicia Leslie is new Batwoman (Update: Luke Fox is BatWing 6/8/2021) Bring on MORE Assorted White TEARS!!

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
well damn it then

but I gotta support this sister fam.
PRAY for her fam...that show has a very high amount injuries -both cast n crew....
but worse than that - word is Ruby really left because Berlanti n co. repeatedly demanded she work despite rehab limitations
forcing her in unsafe conditions and they refused to improve set safety despite increasing incidents

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
PRAY for her fam...that show has a very high amount injuries -both cast n crew....
but worse than that - word is Ruby really left because Berlanti n co. repeatedly demanded she work despite rehab limitations
forcing her in unsafe conditions and they refused to improve set safety despite increasing incidents

OK f*ck

lets piece this together

@fonzerrillii had reported her serious back injury which I feel like was VERY under-reported at the time

and also there are a WHOLE lot of injuries on the CW lately

and correct me if I;m wrong

a DEATH?

I believe that the heavy schedule COULD POSSIBLY contribute to the injuries and accidents

that is a SERIOUS ISSUE

and I;m surprised there has been no LEGAL threats made

Wow..

I knew there was MORE to the story and I did account for stress injury and schedule

but not THAT angle.

I will say this

I do NOT think the CW WB wanna RISK another SERIOUS injury with this new Batwoman

cause ALL EYES ARE ON THEM right now.

And they aint gonna be able to just sweep it under the rug.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I do NOT think the CW WB wanna RISK another SERIOUS injury with this new Batwoman

so far they have done excellent work keeping most injuries out of the news....

same inept culture that refuses to improve production values & committed to always cut corners
ain't trying to spend $ to protect workplace of d list actors n crew

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Yeah I didn't hear about the injuries until much later, this is beginning to sound like whoever is running those sets for CW in Vancouver is working them on some Haim Saban Power Rangers shit except they're just much more well paid rather than the below SAG minimum that Saban had all of his talent working on

OK f*ck

lets piece this together

@fonzerrillii had reported her serious back injury which I feel like was VERY under-reported at the time

and also there are a WHOLE lot of injuries on the CW lately

and correct me if I;m wrong

a DEATH?

I believe that the heavy schedule COULD POSSIBLY contribute to the injuries and accidents

that is a SERIOUS ISSUE

and I;m surprised there has been no LEGAL threats made

Wow..

I knew there was MORE to the story and I did account for stress injury and schedule

but not THAT angle.

I will say this

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
so far they have done excellent work keeping most injuries out of the news....

same inept culture that refuses to improve production values & committed to always cut corners
ain't trying to spend $ to protect workplace of d list actors n crew

I aint gonna say d list actors matter but

They do NOT want to this to be a topic of discussion

The culture we in right now ONE SINGLE PROPERLY WORDED TWEET could decimate that network

They can't take another #metoo or racial or i think surprisingly the worst for them?

regular staff risking their lives over weak safety protocols.

Imagine a canada & us class action lawsuit by actors and production staff concerning work conditions?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah I didn't hear about the injuries until much later, this is beginning to sound like whoever is running those sets for CW in Vancouver is working them on some Haim Saban Power Rangers shit except they're just much more well paid rather than the below SAG minimum that Saban had all of his talent working on

^^^^

Wonder if kevin smith gonna discuss this on fatman beyond.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I aint gonna say d list actors matter but

They do NOT want to this to be a topic of discussion

The culture we in right now ONE SINGLE PROPERLY WORDED TWEET could decimate that network

They can't take another #metoo or racial or i think surprisingly the worst for them?

regular staff risking their lives over weak safety protocols.

Imagine a canada & us class action lawsuit by actors and production staff concerning work conditions?
:dunno:
^^^^

Wonder if kevin smith gonna discuss this on fatman beyond.
:lol:

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

I heard it was because Ruby didn't like spending that much time in Vancouver and didn't like the demands of headlining a show.

I mean of all the people that have a right to bitch... It would be Stephen Amell and Caity Lotz since they do their own stunts on the show.. and I never heard shit about them bitching about set conditions and rehab issues..

But I do think that Batwoman ... since it was run by a new team... might have legit issues with safety. I don't know if I want to completely blame Berlanti and Co for it though.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Didn't Ruby do her own stunts as well and thats how she got injured? but yea that shows you the level Amell and Lotz are physically. I'm glad Amell got that Heelz lead gig with Starz after this for double the pay per ep and only working 8 ep season which is much less, well deserved after carrying Arrow for 8 seasons with those long grueling schedules year after year

I heard it was because Ruby didn't like spending that much time in Vancouver and didn't like the demands of headlining a show.

I mean of all the people that have a right to bitch... It would be Stephen Amell and Caity Lotz since they do their own stunts on the show.. and I never heard shit about them bitching about set conditions and rehab issues..

But I do think that Batwoman ... since it was run by a new team... might have legit issues with safety. I don't know if I want to completely blame Berlanti and Co for it though.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

that was cover/ pr
she got out of her contract quietly because of how she was treated, and not feeling safe on the set

Batwoman set injuries are signifgantly higher than other cw shows....
even after a PA was paralyzed this year due to an incident on set -no effort was put into improving conditions

Berlanti n co shorted her time off pay, forced her back to work early and disregarded Dr recommended work limits

the showrunner gets reports of spike in injuries on a production... its ongoing... but makes no change but instead protects team leads from studio brass.... thats culpability at very least

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
dam Berlanti sounding like a Saban and Vince McMahon now, not giving a fuck about work conditions of their talent

that was cover/ pr
she got out of her contract quietly because of how she was treated, and not feeling safe on the set

even after a PA was paralyzed this year due to an incident on set -no effort was put into improving conditions

Berlanti n co shorted her time off pay, forced her back to work early and disregarded Dr recommended work limits

the showrunner gets reports of spike in injuries on a production... its ongoing... but makes no change but instead protects team leads from studio brass.... thats culpability at very least

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
that was cover/ pr

^^^

that was what I was talking about!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Why ‘Batwoman’ Star Ruby Rose Left the CW Series

By Joe Otterson

Kimberley French/The CW
Ruby Rose’s surprise exit from the CW series “Batwoman” stemmed from an ill fit between star and production.
According to multiple sources, Rose was unhappy with the long hours required of her as the series lead, which led to friction on the set. It was thus decided by her and the network and studio, Warner Bros. Television, that they would part ways.
Reps for Rose, Warner Bros., and The CW declined to comment.
Rose’s time on “Batwoman” marked the first TV starring role of her career. She previously appeared on Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black” and has appeared in supporting roles in several films to date.

Given the sudden nature of it, speculation has been rampant as to the reason for Rose’s exit from the series. It was speculated that it had something to do with pain associated with an emergency surgery Rose underwent for two herniated discs,

but a source familiar with the situation tells Variety that Rose’s decision “had nothing to do with her health or injury.”

Rose has also been open about her mental health issues in the past. Back in October, she posted on Instagram “I’ve struggled with mental health my entire life.” She went on to say that she had attempted suicide multiple times and had been hospitalized at different times in her life.
In a statement issued announcing Rose’s departure, the studio, network, and Berlanti Productions said they would be seeking “a new lead actress and member of the LGBTQ community, in the coming months.”
“Batwoman” was renewed for a second season back in January. The show centers on Kate Kane, the cousin of Bruce Wayne and an out lesbian who assumes the titular mantle of Batwoman to protect Gotham City.

@fonzerrillii So OK if we gonna take this ONE specific thing as FACT?

That is a real big condemnation right there.

then @slam is right what she has done is essentially career suicide (pardon)

Then that's just I could't do it.

again that is fine but...

looks REALLY BAD.

again like you said I cannot recall this EVER happening cause all my earlier examples involved FIRINGS or ensemble stuff.

the only good counter id if BACK IN DAY

Jessica Alba or Sarah Michelle Geller just up and said after ONE SEASON
I cannot do this

actually a REAL JOURNALIST should call those 2 SPECIFIC women and ask THEM what they think about ALL this and the challenges of being a female lead in an action sci fi show.

@ViCiouS

NOW reading this AGAIN?

makes it look like they were DELIBERATELY trying to deflect!

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Yeah I didn't hear about the injuries until much later, this is beginning to sound like whoever is running those sets for CW in Vancouver is working them on some Haim Saban Power Rangers shit
Power Rangers..? all this time i thought they didnt have to worry about stunts since they splice in footage from the Japanese Sentai shows:lol:

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Nah Saban was casting only ppl that had martial arts or at least gymnastic background so they can do their own stunts since he was too cheap to pay for a stunt team. Amy Jo Johnson the og pink ranger almost died a couple times on set which led to her leaving, once time she almost was electrocuted due to unsafe work conditions on set

Power Rangers..? all this time i thought they didnt have to worry about stunts since they splice in footage from the Japanese Sentai shows:lol:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@fonzerrillii @slam

Ruby Rose explains how the pandemic played a role in her decision to leave Batwoman

By Rosy Cordero
August 11, 2020 at 12:00 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore
COLIN BENTLEY/THE CW

Batwoman
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
  • The CW
GENRE
Like many people during the coronavirus pandemic, Ruby Rose took time to do some introspection, and, after mulling things over, she decided there were several reasons for her to depart her lead role on The CW's Batwoman.
When the actress announced she was opting out of a second season in mid-May, she said that she hadn't come to the decision lightly but did not go into detail about the reasoning behind her exit. Now, Rose tells EW exclusively about the challenges she faced on Batwoman, including needing back surgery following an on-set accident in 2019. She also reiterated that she's proud of the series and how it added to the conversation about the importance of LGBTQ representation on TV.

"Being the lead of a superhero show is tough. [Laughs] Being the lead in anything is tough," Rose, who didn't discover the full extent of her injuries until shooting the film The Doorman, tells EW. "But I think, in that particular instance, it was a lot more difficult because I was still recovering from my surgery. I had my surgery and then 10 days later I went to work, which maybe wasn't the best idea. Most people take about a month or three off before they return to work, so it was definitely made more difficult by that. But as far as being a lead of a show or a film — regardless if it's action or if it's emotional — in whichever ways it's taxing."
"The challenge is sort of outweighed," she adds. "The accomplishment and the trust that people put in you to do that role and then there's also the vibrancy of being able to come on set and set the mood and the tone and the trust being put into it is something that's been such an honor. And I love my experience in [Batwoman]. I'm so grateful that we got to achieve everything that we did and I'm proud of everyone that worked on it. I'm proud of myself for working under sort of interesting circumstances, you know, with the recovery and all. I would definitely do [TV] again. I just think that it was also time for me to take a break to fully heal and then return."

Rose elaborates that her decision to leave the superhero series wasn't just due to her injuries.
"It wasn't so much [the injury], especially because after we wrapped up we didn't get to finish the real finale because of COVID," she says. "You know, you have time in quarantine and sort of isolation to just think about a lot of different things and what you want to achieve in life and what you want to do. I think for both [me and the producers], it was a great opportunity to have a dialogue about a lot of things. I respect them so much and they've been so respectful to me."
"I think it was actually a beautiful way to do something, especially since that was the first time it's ever been done — the first time Batwoman has ever been played in live-action and that she was LGBTQ. I'm very honored to have been able to play her."
And as far as any advice she may have for Javicia Leslie, who will portray the next Batwoman, Ryan Wilder, Rose says she has no doubt Leslie has this down pat.
"None! I think she definitely knows what she's doing and she seems fantastic," Rose says. "I think that honestly, I was so proud and so happy when I was told who would be replacing me. I'm just really stoked and I'm definitely going to watch the next season as well and see how it all comes together."

:idea:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Batwoman boss teases how Ryan Wilder 'puts her stamp' on the Bat legacy

By Chancellor Agard
August 22, 2020 at 05:06 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore
WARNER BROS.; COLIN BENTLEY/THE CW
Batwoman
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
  • The CW
GENRE
Batwoman showrunner Caroline Dries has shed a bit more light on what we can expect from the CW super-drama's new hero in season 2.
During the Legacy of the Bat panel at DC FanDome, host Nyambi Nyambi (The Good Fight) asked Dries how Javicia Leslie's Ryan Wilder, the new Batwoman, would fit into the larger legacy of the Bat. Dries said that's exactly the story of season 2.
"At first, she doesn't fit," said Dries. "She doesn't fit literally. She makes it fit her. In making it fit her, she makes the Bat accessible to this whole other world of people who normally might not have a hero to look up to. So, she puts her stamp on the legacy."

In May, Ruby Rose, who played Kate Kane/Batwoman in season 1, exited the series. Instead of recasting the role, though, Dries decided to take the show in another direction with the creation Leslie's Ryan. Whereas Kate came from a wealthy family, Ryan is a skilled fighter who currently lives out of her van after spending several years as a drug runner. How she ends up becoming Batwoman has yet to be revealed. However, just because there's a new Batwoman doesn't mean the CW drama will forget Kate. Dries previously said Kate's disappearance is one of season 2's mysteries, and she reaffirmed that position during the panel while also explaining why she decided to create this new character.
"Kate Kane has disappeared in season 2, and it was controversial to the fans because of course they love Kate Kane, so of course we're going to keep her part of the show," said Dries. "But [Rose's exit] also gave us this really unique opportunity to create a new Batwoman. I decided to make up a character named Ryan Wilder who is the opposite of Kate Kane. Ryan Wilder is a character that Batwoman needs to protect. It just provided a new rich storytelling device for us."

Leslie, who is the first Black woman to play Batwoman, also appeared on the panel and opened about what her casting means to her and she hopes everyone else. "What I love about DC, what I love about WB, what I love about [Greg] Berlanti is that you have these iconic characters, and they've done this amazing job of making them so many different ethnicities and shapes and sizes, and things that weren't as typical as you may have imagined when you were a kid," said Leslie, who also appeared on the BAWSE: Females of Color Within the DC Universe earlier that day. "They've showed us you can be anything no matter what the color of your skin is."
Batwoman will return in 2021 on The CW.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
I don't watch NONE of this shit no more. I watched Arrow up until the 3rd season. watched flash about 2 seasons. Legends of Tomorrow was over the top goofy shit. I can't take none of these horrible ass shows serious....

Yeah Legends was aight for me. They had a black legend who could fly and damned if that MFer did stop the universal from imploding or some shit. But that was too much so they took his powers away completely. Now he come on the show once a season just to clean up or something....Then we had Kid Flash who walked away to become a Buddhist or some shit plus the Hawk Girl lost her shit in season 1. I'm like f--- this show

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
I'm just waiting for the first edition of the black Batwoman comic to be printed. We have a space on the wall right next to the first edition of Batwing.
:dance:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

The CW's New Batwoman Just Became DC Comics Canon
After a high-profile recasting, The CW's new Batwoman Ryan Wilder has already joined official DC Comics can in the newest Batgirl preview.
BY KEVIN ERDMANN55 MINUTES AGO

DC Comics has released the first look at Batgirl #50, the final issue of the current series coming later this month. But as Batgirl considers a break from her superhero role, it's her interaction with Ryan Wilder fans will be talking about--the future Batwoman of the CW, now officially joining DC canon before she even claims the role after the disappearance of Kate Kane.
It's a time of unrest in the comic book version of Gotham, sending Barbara Gordon to join the protests that have arisen in the city in the wake of the Joker War, with neighborhoods trying to fight gentrification. While there, Batgirl starts to question how much positive change she's been able to bring about as Batgirl, and whether or not it might be time to become something new and better apart from the cape and cowl. It's part the reason she chose to work for her boss Congresswoman Alejo, providing her with a means to help Gotham in ways that Batgirl couldn't. However, even in that role it seems as though Barbara is coming across obstacles, not being able to truly help in the ways she wants to.

In the preview for Batgirl #50, Barbarba meets none other than Ryan Wilder, the new character played by Javicia Leslie and created to become CW's new Batwoman. This issue will serve as Wilder's first appearance in the comics, making her an official canonical character within the DC Universe at large (not just in the CW Arrowverse). While it's unclear if this new comics version of Wilder will follow the same trajectory as her CW counterpart and become Batwoman herself, if her personality is anything like what readers can see in this preview, fans of the CW are in for an entertaining changing of the guard. Here's the preview images and solicitation from DC Comics:

Batgirl-50-Comic-Ryan-Wilder-Batwoman-Page-1.jpg

Batgirl-50-Comic-Ryan-Wilder-Batwoman-Page-2.jpg

Batgirl-50-Comic-Cover-Art.jpg

Big changes are in store for Barbara Gordon, and it looks as though it's going to involve a departure from the Batgirl persona (at least temporarily). However, that doesn't mean that she'll be any less effective in her desire to change Gotham for the better, it just means that her methods are most likely going to change. Not only that, but as the preview shows there's still plenty of people in Gotham, like Ryan Wilder, who want to see a change just as much as Barbara.
Batgirl fans should be really excited to see what's store for her in the future of the comics, and Batwoman fans should be equally excited for their first look at their now canonical new hero

@slam @fonzerrillii

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered

The CW's New Batwoman Just Became DC Comics Canon
After a high-profile recasting, The CW's new Batwoman Ryan Wilder has already joined official DC Comics can in the newest Batgirl preview.
BY KEVIN ERDMANN55 MINUTES AGO

DC Comics has released the first look at Batgirl #50, the final issue of the current series coming later this month. But as Batgirl considers a break from her superhero role, it's her interaction with Ryan Wilder fans will be talking about--the future Batwoman of the CW, now officially joining DC canon before she even claims the role after the disappearance of Kate Kane.
It's a time of unrest in the comic book version of Gotham, sending Barbara Gordon to join the protests that have arisen in the city in the wake of the Joker War, with neighborhoods trying to fight gentrification. While there, Batgirl starts to question how much positive change she's been able to bring about as Batgirl, and whether or not it might be time to become something new and better apart from the cape and cowl. It's part the reason she chose to work for her boss Congresswoman Alejo, providing her with a means to help Gotham in ways that Batgirl couldn't. However, even in that role it seems as though Barbara is coming across obstacles, not being able to truly help in the ways she wants to.

In the preview for Batgirl #50, Barbarba meets none other than Ryan Wilder, the new character played by Javicia Leslie and created to become CW's new Batwoman. This issue will serve as Wilder's first appearance in the comics, making her an official canonical character within the DC Universe at large (not just in the CW Arrowverse). While it's unclear if this new comics version of Wilder will follow the same trajectory as her CW counterpart and become Batwoman herself, if her personality is anything like what readers can see in this preview, fans of the CW are in for an entertaining changing of the guard. Here's the preview images and solicitation from DC Comics:

Batgirl-50-Comic-Ryan-Wilder-Batwoman-Page-1.jpg

Batgirl-50-Comic-Ryan-Wilder-Batwoman-Page-2.jpg

Batgirl-50-Comic-Cover-Art.jpg

Big changes are in store for Barbara Gordon, and it looks as though it's going to involve a departure from the Batgirl persona (at least temporarily). However, that doesn't mean that she'll be any less effective in her desire to change Gotham for the better, it just means that her methods are most likely going to change. Not only that, but as the preview shows there's still plenty of people in Gotham, like Ryan Wilder, who want to see a change just as much as Barbara.
Batgirl fans should be really excited to see what's store for her in the future of the comics, and Batwoman fans should be equally excited for their first look at their now canonical new hero

@slam @fonzerrillii
Gotta pick this up and wait for the first issue with the black batwoman #1.

tenor.gif

Batman approves!