At-home DNA testing company gives the FBI access to its database

thismybgolname

Rising Star
OG Investor
The FBI has struck up a partnership with one of the largest at-home DNA testing services, according to BuzzFeed News. Apparently, Family Tree DNA has allowed the agency to access its genealogy database containing the DNA profiles of over a million users. Law enforcement has been using the public's increasing fascination with DNA testing as a tool to crack cases for quite a while now. But this is reportedly the first time a private firm has willingly given authorities access to its repository.

While the company doesn't have a contract with the FBI, it reportedly agreed to start testing DNA samples and uploading the results to its database for comparison last fall. In December 2018, it changed its terms of service to say that it allows law enforcement to access its database to identify suspects for violent crimes (homicide, sexual assault) and to ID the remains of victims.

The partnership could lead to a resurgence of privacy concerns when it comes to law enforcement's use of DNA testing services. Authorities aren't only getting access to a million users' profiles, after all -- they'll also be able to see those people's potential relatives. Family Tree stands by the partnership, though, telling BuzzFeed News in a statement:

"Without realizing it [Family Tree DNA founder and CEO Bennett Greenspan] had inadvertently created a platform that, nearly two decades later, would help law enforcement agencies solve violent crimes faster than ever."

The firm also clarified that the FBI will not be able to access more information than the average user can. "We came to the conclusion that if law enforcement created accounts, with the same level of access to the database as the standard FamilyTreeDNA user, they would not be violating user privacy and confidentiality," Greenspan said. Feds will still have to secure a subpoena or a search warrant if they want to see data not visible to a normal user.

In addition, the company stressed that customers have the ability to opt out of the matching feature in their account settings. Sure, that'll prevent them from seeing any of their DNA matches, but that also means other users (including feds' accounts with DNA from crime scenes) won't be able to match with them.

Family Tree DNA was one of the testing firms linked to the Golden State Killer's capture last year after its parent company received a subpoena asking for more information about one of its users. While that turned out to be a false lead, other DNA testing databases ultimately enabledauthorities to identify and arrest the serial killer/rapist.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Look all this shit is OUR fucking fault

We just playing defense all fucking day...

We need a data base off everyone in law enforcement who is associated with racist organizations
And be able to pull up their info.. .

Be able to do the same for corporations that's have a history of anti citizen behavior ..

But noooo like fuckin cows we just sit back and noo at each other...

Fuck is up with that??

Time to push back a d get a database of racist law enforcement officials. .

And all law enforcement officials with tattoos must have them on record no matter where they are located

This should be for anyone in positions of power over the public

Cops
Judges
Lawyers
Medical personal from nurses to surgeons especially surgeons

Etc...

But muthafuckas don't be thinking about offense

They to busy fighting over if the world is flat or not

Can we play some muthafuckin offense

For muthafuckin once...????

Muthafuckas

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Without realizing it [Family Tree DNA founder and CEO Bennett Greenspan] had inadvertently created a platform that, nearly two decades later, would help law enforcement agencies solve violent crimes faster than ever."

I love it... i have always been suspect about any of these companies with talks of wanting your dna to look for some shit.. all them companies bullshit!! For whatever reason the movie the minority report comes to mind...o_O

Last edited:

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor

We need a data base off everyone in law enforcement who is associated with racist organizations

Be able to do the same for corporations that's have a history of anti citizen behavior ..

Fuck is up with that??

And all law enforcement officials with tattoos must have them on record no matter where they are located

Cops
Judges
Lawyers

Etc...

Muthafuckas

You typed all this.. what are you doing to make it happen? Nothing is stopping you.

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
I never had ANY interest in that bullshit ass DNA shit.....they gonna get us all one day but they ain't gonna get my DNA on some of that bullshit.. actually paying $99.99 for the FBI to have your DNA......sheep shit.
I did it to know where I come from in Africa but I used a black company who promises to never do that. But hell they may sell out one day to

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
I never had ANY interest in that bullshit ass DNA shit.....they gonna get us all one day but they ain't gonna get my DNA on some of that bullshit.. actually paying $99.99 for the FBI to have your DNA......sheep shit.

When a few first came out i thought about, but never did...but when i start to think about that stuff years later i just questioned it wayy to much which in turned made me say forget shit

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I did it to know where I come from in Africa but I used a black company who promises to never do that. But hell they may sell out one day to

Good News: Probably a class action law suit and you'll cash out big when enough of the masses call bullshit

Bad News: The government/FBI will probably pay just about any price to have your DNA on file.

illdog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All they need is one of yur relatives in the data base to quickly connect that shit to you...

giphy.gif

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Fuck is up with that??

Cops
Judges
Lawyers

Etc...

Muthafuckas

Welcome to my world!!

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Crazy shit, but effective. All it takes is one person from your immediate family to put you out there. Thanks to a family member, me and my kids included in that shit by default and I never put my shit in there. I'd estimate they damn near got everyone. :smh:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah African Ancestry is the only one you need to deal with. Black owned and local here in dc

sinsay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You a for real dumbass if you are willingly giving up your DNA samples to anybody...much less an anonymous company just to find out your great great great great great grandparents names.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
In Indiana, if you are charged (mind you, not CONVINCTED) with a felony, it’s a mandatory DNA swab. Law passed a few years ago. Have to wonder how many DAs are overcharging stuff just to get the DNA.

JimJones

Rising Star
Registered
One part of me says this is some bullshit, another part says if they can find out whom killed a few people I know whom was murdered I am all for it.