Anyone On Here Play The Guitar/Bass?

Bumpyjohnson_12

Rising Star
Registered
Question Res.......in trying to play Good times the chickie part I find difficult with a hard pick. Listening to Nile say he uses a very soft pick I switched to a medium pick and I find I can mute and play the song much better. I think I'm gonna go with a medium fender pick for when I go up and down on the strings. I play with 10's. That feels more comfortable to me. When I solo, I'll go with hard picks. Thoughts?

R3pAq2.jpg
The cheeky part... Of course has to be practice but sometimes it depends on how you hold the pic you can put the pic in your hand as to where there's not too much pic left and it gives you a little bit more of a feeling on the pic where you can get that chicky chick part... Parts like that I never think of the actual tune I just look at them as drum beats

Bumpyjohnson_12

Rising Star
Registered
Question Res.......in trying to play Good times the chickie part I find difficult with a hard pick. Listening to Nile say he uses a very soft pick I switched to a medium pick and I find I can mute and play the song much better. I think I'm gonna go with a medium fender pick for when I go up and down on the strings. I play with 10's. That feels more comfortable to me. When I solo, I'll go with hard picks. Thoughts?

R3pAq2.jpg
Lord have mercy

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
The cheeky part... Of course has to be practice but sometimes it depends on how you hold the pic you can put the pic in your hand as to where there's not too much pic left and it gives you a little bit more of a feeling on the pic where you can get that chicky chick part... Parts like that I never think of the actual tune I just look at them as drum beats
Good point. Makes sense. So your saying not just where you hold the pick but the angle as well correct?

zP5wxt.jpg

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
please ignore my snapping turtle in the background actin a fool.....lol.
i wasn't gonna play the whole song.....just a snippet....
and again.....this is just one month of learning how to play on my own.
im not reading any sheet music or trying to. everything is str8 memory for now.
Reup?

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Great solo!! It's interesting now I play guitar I listen to music dfferent. Songs I've loved and listened to all my life I can pick out the fact there are multiple guitars playing at once. Or when the bass comes in. Or if theres an acustic playing. It's all in evolving as a muscian.

YaMnCf.jpg
Nuno’s playing on this song has been the buzz in guitarist circles for the last couple of weeks.

Glad to know you’re progressing.

Bumpyjohnson_12

Rising Star
Registered
Good point. Makes sense. So your saying not just where you hold the pick but the angle as well correct?

zP5wxt.jpg
Not the pointy part of the pig but one of the flat sides I'm speaking for myself personally I do a lot of finger-picking but when I'm messing with jazz or funk especially with funk it's straight about the pic but when I'm messing with jazz it's a combination of the pic and the fingers and and when I'm messing with straight up old time picking like Robert Johnson stuff that's all about the fingers for the most part

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Not the pointy part of the pig but one of the flat sides I'm speaking for myself personally I do a lot of finger-picking but when I'm messing with jazz or funk especially with funk it's straight about the pic but when I'm messing with jazz it's a combination of the pic and the fingers and and when I'm messing with straight up old time picking like Robert Johnson stuff that's all about the fingers for the most part
Excellent info. I do want to get into more finger picking as well like Wes Montgomery. The way he used the side of his thumb was magic.

MceSGh.jpg

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Excellent info. I do want to get into more finger picking as well like Wes Montgomery. The way he used the side of his thumb was magic.

MceSGh.jpg
I like how you put that... “Magic”. Can you believe all we heard from him was done only using his thumb while the other fingers rested on the guitar’s pickguard? And his single note lead lines were all downstrokes. I like that concept. It means one relies more on selecting the right, tasteful notes (or octaves) as opposed to extended bursts of hyper speed. Wes was an amazing musical storyteller and so laid back at the same time. Like the Snoop of jazz guitar.

Now who did fingerpick jazz was Joe Pass. His style incorporated a lot of chord melodies along with bass lines.

Meanwhile living legend George Benson uses a flat pick.

I’ve seen footage of Barney Kessel switching between a pick and fingerpicking, though he primarily used a pick.

Whatever works for you, work it!

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I like how you put that... “Magic”. Can you believe all we heard from him was done only using his thumb while the other fingers rested on the guitar’s pickguard? And his single note lead lines were all downstrokes. I like that concept. It means one relies more on selecting the right, tasteful notes (or octaves) as opposed to extended bursts of hyper speed. Wes was an amazing musical storyteller and so laid back at the same time. Like the Snoop of jazz guitar.

Now who did fingerpick jazz was Joe Pass. His style incorporated a lot of chord melodies along with bass lines.

I’ve seen footage of Barney Kessel switching between a pick and fingerpicking, though he primarily used a pick.

See that's what I love about music. There's no right or wrong way. It's what works for you and what techniques you can use to put rhythm together. Wes said he used his thumb because he wanted to practice late at night with his amp and he didn't want to wake his family or the neighbors. That's how he adapted his style.

1R9PEH.jpg

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
See that's what I love about music. There's no right or wrong way. It's what works for you and what techniques you can use to put rhythm together. Wes said he used his thumb because he wanted to practice late at night with his amp and he didn't want to wake his family or the neighbors. That's how he adapted his style.

1R9PEH.jpg
Absolutely. What matters is how it sounds.

I had forgotten about that Wes story. Interesting isn't it?

Bumpyjohnson_12

Rising Star
Registered

Man you just put the guitar guide up there Joe pass... I'll tell you fellas what if you want to hear something that really cuts up listen to this version of.... Seven Come 11 if I said it right I know Joe pass and I think Bucky pizzarelli.. and maybe another guitar players on there but I know Joe passes on there and it's up Temple and they tear those strings up they set them strings on fire

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Man you just put the guitar guide up there Joe pass... I'll tell you fellas what if you want to hear something that really cuts up listen to this version of.... Seven Come 11 if I said it right I know Joe pass and I think Bucky pizzarelli.. and maybe another guitar players on there but I know Joe passes on there and it's up Temple and they tear those strings up they set them strings on fire
Definitely will check that out!!!

S2d8e5.jpg

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor

@respiration @Bumpyjohnson_12

Now I knew George did thumb plucking but I didn't know half of his recordings were thumb plucking

Ltofhr.jpg

That video had to have been made in about 2009 which would have put Benson at about age 66.

I saw him play at Chicago Jazz Fest in 1986 when he was 43 and he was complaining of not being able to play as fast as he could in his 20s and 30s (I couldn't tell).

Yet... At 66 in the video, he was sounding like he hadn't lost a step!

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
What style of guitar do you play
My favorite players of all time are Eric Gale, B.B. King, Johnny Guitar Watkins, Jimi Hendrix and Pat Metheny.

There are many others I really like, but B.B. and Hendrix were the prototypes whose blueprint most in their genres followed.

Brewer Phillips (a friend who was also one of my favorite guitarists) taught me how to play the blues.

I think in the back of my mind, I aspire to play like Eric Gale...which is like a jazzier, funkier side of B.B.

So, I have played blues (electric urban and Mississipi Delta style), R&B, funk, jazz, reggae, folk and rock and have dabbled in classical and flamenco.

How about yourself... What style do you play?

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
That video had to have been made in about 2009 which would have put Benson at about age 66.

I saw him play at Chicago Jazz Fest in 1986 when he was 43 and he was complaining of not being able to play as fast as he could in his 20s and 30s (I couldn't tell).

Yet... At 66 in the video, he was sounding like he hadn't lost a step!
Right.

AVXomZ.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
My favorite players of all time are Eric Gale, B.B. King, Johnny Guitar Watkins, Jimi Hendrix and Pat Metheny.

There are many others I really like, but B.B. and Hendrix were the prototypes whose blueprint most in their genres followed.

Brewer Phillips (a friend who was also one of my favorite guitarists) taught me how to play the blues.

I think in the back of my mind, I aspire to play like Eric Gale...which is like a jazzier, funkier side of B.B.

So, I have played blues (electric urban and Mississipi Delta style), R&B, funk, jazz, reggae, folk and rock and have dabbled in classical and flamenco.

How about yourself... What style do you play?
Now all of those styles with maybe the exception of classical I want to learn and explore. Recently I've been working on my rhythm strumming and chord changes using barre chords. Practicing Neil Rogers "Good Times" really has helped me with chord changes with barre chords. I've gotten so much better Practicing that song as well as using a medium pick for the "chuck" sounds. I generally use my Ultra Luxe Stratocaster for rhythm strumming and chords and I use my Gibson ES335 for lead. I wanna learn "The Windmills of Your Mind" on the Gibson.

5mZyCy.jpg

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Now all of those styles with maybe the exception of classical I want to learn and explore. Recently I've been working on my rhythm strumming and chord changes using barre chords. Practicing Neil Rogers "Good Times" really has helped me with chord changes with barre chords. I've gotten so much better Practicing that song as well as using a medium pick for the "chuck" sounds. I generally use my Ultra Luxe Stratocaster for rhythm strumming and chords and I use my Gibson ES335 for lead. I wanna learn "The Windmills of Your Mind" on the Gibson.

5mZyCy.jpg

I hear you squawkin'. Good song choices

dik cashmere

Freaky Tah gettin high that's my brother
BGOL Investor
@jack walsh13 @respiration
Two dope accounts to follow

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

Good Stuff. Scott's bass lessons is where I learn to play the bass. Scott Devine is a phenomenal teacher.

eWLnZ1.jpg

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor

Scott does have good lessons. I’ve been subbed to him for a good minute on YouTube .